Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Port Adelaide

5 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Magnificent morning here in East Brisbane just 600 metres from the Gabba. Blue skies and not a cloud in sight. It has been sunny and breezy the past few days so the conditions should be conducive to good football. I am looking forward to seeing the boys live and up close tonight.

If we can bring our best game, Port is certainly beatable. Westhoff is my concern. He seems to save himself for games against us. Harmes to lock down Boak would be good to see.  Wishing the young bull Tommy Sparrow all the best. I think we will find that we have unearthed another good one.

Westhoff, no matter what the recent form, always does well against us and I think that this is because we do not have a mobile tall on him guarding his behaviours. He is a mobile tall, largely unchecked and can take a grab in a flurry 'to get in there'. His ability to 'float' into the play is effective - and deceptive. My choice of tempering Westhoff would be TMac. OMac won't keep up with him and May might not, either. The upside of all of this is that Westhoff is nearing a sunset period in terms of football and I'd suspect that his resilience and recovery are not as acute as these had been in the past. Lever, OMac, May can deal with the rest of the timber beanpoles at Port, surely? Even Rivers might do well against him, physically and in the hard yards. I'd suspect that Lever and May will have bigger fish to fry from the Port team, anyway. 

Edited by Deemania since 56

2 hours ago, Rocknroll said:

That game last year haunts me still. 

Dominate the first quarter. Miss easy shots. Look like 2018.......then we were cut open. They target gawn and no one helps. Then made to look slow by 18 year old first gamers. 

This tendency to bash Max is more prevalent than ever. It would be hoped that the umpires have discussed it during the last few days as it is now a blight on our game. People come to see a champion play, not to watch him crumple into a heap from gratuitous violence - nearly always unsighted from behind - indicating essential cowardice.

I'd expect a few more frees should be coming Max's way from improved attention by the umpires to what has been going on for several years.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hell Bent said:

I'm surprisingly confident. Even prior to the Lions game (which I always felt could go either way) I've felt we will win the next 3 games.  

I think Port are overrated and we are playing much better footy than them. 

I expect May to totally blanket Dixon. 

I expect May to flatten Dixon (accidentally). Port flattened Max, last time.

2 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

Even though we lost on Sunday there was still a some signs of the confidence this group has in one another to compete and stay in games even when we've been outplayed. We were untidy with the football and clearly beaten around the ball but we still had a chance to win.

I haven't watched any Port games this year but they seem the same inconsistent team of they have been for some time. I think we're a better road team then they are and have a better list on paper. I hope we really come out aggressive and set the tone early tonight.

Aggression is imperative for this match. Take no prisoners, Dees.

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Anyone else feeling quietly confident about tonight's game?  I know that's not a normal feeling for Melbourne supporters as we probably have a closer relation to the feeling of dread, but I think we can knock these guys off.  That's not to say they aren't a good side but it feels like we match up pretty well on paper.

Dixon has been in red hot form, but we brought Steven May to the club for this very purpose.  He is the perfect match up and I can see him continuing his excellent form tonight in keeping him relatively quiet.

And while they've only had a few days to work on it, I'm hoping we have a few different plans up our sleeve for the centre square and how we rove to Gawn's taps.  Brisbane planned very well for it on Sunday and with Lycett out of the side, we need to take full advantage.  If we can at least break even then we win.  It's as simple as that.

Not me, I was confident against Brisbane and thought we would win that but I have a sick feeling that we will be in front at three quarter time and lose.

2 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I agree Wise. I really like the way we are fighting games out and we are never out of the picture now. We seem to have fixed some massive issues we had in 2018 and it still needs a lot of tweaking, but all the basics seem to be there now. Port have only had 1 more day to recover and they have to travel, so it evens out. Our fitness seems to be starring at the moment, with the EPL wizard now on our side. Touch wood the younger guys will stay the course in this game. The midfield battle and clearances would seem to be the key, but with a hopefully dryer ground, we might sort this out a bit better. We had several players down last week, Harmes, Gus, Bennell and a few others and still nearly pinched it. Heres hoping.

Great points mate.  

Our fitness has been a highlight so far.  While we still have issues in converting our forward 50 chances, we are running out games really well.  Sunday is evidence of that.  It would have been easy to fall in a hole but we kept pushing and pushing right to the end.  The boys are fit and you can see that each and every week.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

You should be right mate. It's only 2 people. 

If SE Queensland starts having tons of cases, it's season over considering VIC and NSW are now off the table.

If a security guard can [censored] some people and for it to spread massively from that, then it doesn't take much for widespread community transmission.

I think the AFL will be on to this and will already be thinking WA and/or NT.

The WA Government is about to lose its appeal in the High Court RE money hungry Fatty, so I reckon that'll open the doors for the AFL too.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Aggression is imperative for this match. Take no prisoners, Dees.

Where's Vanders when you need him

• Haha 1

Delighted Sparrow is being given a run. Give em heaps Tom.

Also really keen to see how the combination of Weid, Jackson and TMac work together. I'm glad we've got Goody back making daring selection decisions (that involve more than 1 tall KPF).

2 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

weren't scores level at the end of q3 in round 1, 2019, and then they ran all over the top of us in the last with their bevy of young talent time?

We were 8 points down but it was a false economy. Felt like 28 points down.

They were all over us late in the third and were so much fitter than us in the 32 degree heat.

2 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Yep I had a feeling that we could win this one after last weeks game against the lions which is highly unusual for me. 

My main worry is the tactics in the centre and the ability of goody to change it up within the game. He just doesn’t seem to be able to counter tactics of oppo coaches during the game. He seems to need a week to think about it. It’s very concerning. 

Totally agree. Quite confident. We just need to adjusttactics with the mids.

We've drifted to 2.35 on sports bet now. So will have a little piece of that. 

Drier track should suit us too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deemania since 56 said:

This tendency to bash Max is more prevalent than ever. It would be hoped that the umpires have discussed it during the last few days as it is now a blight on our game. People come to see a champion play, not to watch him crumple into a heap from gratuitous violence - nearly always unsighted from behind - indicating essential cowardice.

I'd expect a few more frees should be coming Max's way from improved attention by the umpires to what has been going on for several years.  

I really hope Goody has the team fired up to jump in and get around Maxy if they target him again like they did all game last year. It was a real low point seeing no one going in to fly the flag around him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trout said:

Not me, I was confident against Brisbane and thought we would win that but I have a sick feeling that we will be in front at three quarter time and lose.

I wasn't sure, but just received this missive from happy Garry Baker avatar:

G'day bin,

I hope you are well in this tricky times. Convince your betting partner to back the dees at the +6.5 line tonight (20 units @ $1.90), to win by more than 24.5 points (5 units and should get $8) and over 39.5 (2 units @ $15).

Why?

Because the odds for this match are out of wack. I'd have this match at even money, so $2.25 for the dees is way overs. And as i keep telling you punting is all about getting value.

On the game i think we will win, and win well.

Why?

• We played well last week, and got stronger as the game went on 
  • The power got over run on their home deck and looked out of gas
  • We are fitter and have close to a full list to choose from
  • Port are looking a bit cooked, rely on three young players for much of their spark and energy and one of them is not playing 
  • Whilst we have a four day break and they are coming off a five day break, they had to fly out from SA and we caught a bus home
  • Playing the gabba is practically a home game for us
  • I was never super confident last week - the lions are a serious side, but more the point they have very similar strengths to us - intensity, good at the contest, and a strong midfield
  • The opposite is true of port - our mids will smash theirs and with Maxy giving ruck lessons we will dominate clearances 
  • They don't have two big monsters - or with Lycett out, even one -  whose sole job is to smash into Maxy all night
  • Their strength is how well they move the ball when on - and when they are on they play an attractive, free flowing game, which is what they will look to do
  • Which perfectly suits us as our all team zone defence will frustrate their ball movement (and players) and a fast game will create space for us on the counter - our game plan works best when opposition teams go fast 
  • A weakness of theirs is their defence as it relies very heavily on their zone to work, in large part because Jonas is their only decent big defender
  • Watch our forward half set up - we have had a big focus in the last few weeks to set up very wide of each other, which stretches opposition zones, creates one on ones (which we have been looking for with long kicks to the pockets) and creates space that allow players to lead into
  • We have worked really hard to use that extra space to put that last kick inside 50 to a player in the corridor, like the one Oliver kicked to Melksham/Langdon last week - port will struggle to stop this kick as well as the lions did
  • I wasn't sure about Tmac coming in but he he will give us much more physical grunt than Harley and three big forwards will stretch them on what should be a beautiful night for football (though perhaps a bit dewy in the second half)
  • Tmac wil also provide another option for the down the line kick - which Maxy will appreciate 
  • With Marshall a (key) out they rely on Dixon - who is in awesome form it must be said, love how he plays and love his beard - but in May we have the perfect foil and Lever and Omac will look to spoil at every opportunity
  • Defensively our weakness is smalls and mediums - but whilst Gray is ok he is not the threat he once was and Rozee is quality but hibbo can deal with him
  • The Burgess 4 day factor - we will be ready to roll and i love the fact they have made noise about this -  smart and a great message to send to opposition teams.
  • it is no coincidence they chose burgess to to do the talking points interview this week, and no surprise that he directly spoke to our preparation for 4 day breaks (the planning for which commenced in the covid break and even after it seemed there would not be a need for a compressed fixture)
  • They didn't pick jack Watts

Dees by 31 points

Edited by binman
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, binman said:

I wasn't sure, but just received this missive from happy Garry Baker avatar:

G'day bin,

I hope you are well in this tricky times. Convince your betting partner to back the dees at the +6.5 line tonight (20 units @ $1.90), to win by more than 24.5 points (5 units and should get $8) and over 39.5 (2 units @ $15).

Why?

Because the odds for this match are out of wack. I'd have this match at even money, so $2.25 for the dees is way overs. And as i keep telling you punting is all about getting value.

On the game i think we will win, and win well.

Why?

• We played well last week, and got stronger as the game went on 
  • The power got over run on their home deck and looked out of gas
  • We are fitter and have close to a full list to choose from
  • Port are looking a bit cooked, rely on three young players for much of their spark and energy and one of them is not playing 
  • Whilst we have a four day break and they are coming off a five day break, they had to fly out from SA and we caught a bus home
  • Playing the gabba is practically a home game for us
  • I was never super confident last week - the lions are a serious side, but more the point they have very similar strengths to us - intensity, good at the contest, and a strong midfield
  • The opposite is true of port - our mid will smash theirs and with Maxy giving ruck lessons we will dominate clearances 
  • They don't have two big monsters - or with Lycett out, even one -  whose sole job is to smash into Maxy all night
  • Their strength is how well they move the ball when on - and when they are on they play an attractive, free flowing game, which is what they will look to do
  • Which perfectly suits us as our all team zone defence as it will frustrate their ball movement (and players) and a fast game will create space for us on the counter - our game plan works best when opposition teams go fast 
  • A weakness of theirs is their defence as it relies very heavily on their zone to work, in large part because Jonas is their only decent big defender
  • Watch our forward half set up - we have had a big focus in the last few weeks to set up very wide of each other, which stretches opposition zones, creates one on ones (which we have been looking for with long kicks to the pockets) and creates space that allow players to lead into
  • I wasn't sure about Tmac coming in but he he will give us much more physical grunt than Harley and three big forwards will stretch them on what should be a beautiful night for football (though perhaps a bit dewy in the second half)
  • Tmac wil also provide another option for the down the line kick - which Maxy will appreciate 
  • We have worked really hard to use the extra space to put that last kick inside 50 to a player in the corridor, like the one Oliver kicked to Melksham/Langdon last week -   port will struggle to stop this kick as well as the lions did
  • With Marshall a (key) out they rely on Dixon - who is in awesome form it must be said, love how he plays and love his beard - but in may we have the perfect foil and Lever and Omac will look to spoil at every opportunity
  • Defensively our weakness is smalls and mediums - but whilst Gray is ok he is not the threat he once was and Rozee is quality but hibbo can deal with him
  • The Burgess 4 day factor - we will be ready to roll and i love the fact they have made noise about this -  smart and a great message to send to opposition teams.
  • it is no coincidence they chose burgess to to do the talking points interview this week, and no surprise that he directly spoke to our preparation for 4 day breaks (the planning for which commenced in the covid break and even after it seemed there would not be a need for a compressed fixture)
  • They didn't pick jack Watts

Dees by 31 points

Love it binman, I almost feel like chucking a couple of pineapples on us after that. Wouldn’t it be nice if we did what Richmond did last night and have the game in our control pretty much from the get go. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, P-man said:

I could get used to these short turnarounds. I’ve already started drinking while working.

Because it’s game day. You have to drink on game day.

Correct P man - it is compulsory!

I have The top off 2 Shiraz quaffers . I am letting them take a deep breath before the ritual slaughter commences. 
These night games can be a real trap however and pacing  oneself is essential In order to make a decent last quarter effort

One must also retain some energy for the “apres ski” so to speak

• Love 2

32 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I have The top off 2 Shiraz quaffers . I am letting them take a deep breath before the ritual slaughter commences. 
These night games can be a real trap however and pacing  oneself is essential In order to make a decent last quarter effort

Uncle, given the uncomprimising nose that you undeniably possess for a good Quaffer, and knowing my upper class taste buds what can you suggest that I might try to imbibe in this evening?

Edited by picket fence
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Quaffers! 

Hardly befitting refreshments at The Manor, being as it is near the heartland of some fabulous Shiraz country?.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Uncle, given the uncomprimising nose that you undeniably possess for a good Quaffer, and knowing my upper class taste buds what can you suggest that I might try to imbibe in this evening?

Anything from the Barossa at around $15 will more than satisfy your vulgar taste picket !

• Like 2
  • Haha 5