Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 09 vs Port Adelaide

titan_uranus

5 hours ago, drdrake said:

Get him out kicking 100 shots 10m out aiming for a target behind the goals, same routine each time Kicking through the football.  Best thing for him is we have a change of grounds.  His first shot yesterday was the same spot he missed his last shot V hawthorn and tried to guide the kick rather that kick through the goals.  Same with his last shot, tried to guide the kick rather than hit a target behind the goals.

Look at Kennedy from WCE, IMO the best set shot for goals in the league.  He has the same routine every kick outside the snaps, his little stutter steps are more for his timing and focus than the actual kick but it gets everything moving forward through the kick.  

Something I always liked about how Neitz approached set shots was that he never did the dinky kicks, he always kicked through the ball with purpose. I wonder about the training that we have with set shots as that seems quite common.

Weid could be a few steps away from being a very good forward if he can sort a few of his issues out and I feel that a lot of them are between the ears.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 3

I have changed my selections after reading Richo's article.

IN: T.MCDONALD, RIVERS, NEAL-BULLEN, SPARROW

OUT: JACKSON, JETTA, BENNELL, BRAYSHAW

I find it concerning that Tomlinson has been out of form and hasn't had a chance to get into form in the practice matches due to being carry over emergency not once but twice so Sparrow has been in good form in the practice matches and should be rewarded.

B: LOCKHART, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, SPARROW

HF: PICKETT, T.MCODNALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: MELKSHAM, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES, RIVERS, HANNAN, JONES 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CHF said:

The selections for the Port game will really depend on how the players pull up after the game on Sunday.

However, if selection was on form in the game, there would be a couple of changes. 

In defence, I saw Jetta as as weakness. He just does not seem to be able to track fast enough to a contest or his reading of the play is not what it used to be. After his head knocks, I could see him getting a rest and possibly brought back for the game after Port. I like the way the rest of the backline is playing. May, OMac, Lever, Salem and Hibberd are developing a good understanding and Lockhart, much to my surprise, is slotting in there well. Who gets a game in place of Jetta? well the obvious one would be Rivers but I would not be surprised to see Josh Wagner get  run.

Midfield did not perform up to standard at Max's feet. Not sure what the problem was? Caoching or players? If all have pulled up ok I would not change any in there. Petracca, Oliver and Viney on the inside with Brayshaw rotating there and Harmes used in a tagging role on an opposition key mid would be the way I would go. Langdon on one wing and a few, including Jones to rotate through the other. I do not see Jones getting dropped after one game. 

In the forwards o would definately retain Wiedeman, Jackson, Melksham combination at the heart of the attack. Fritsch is there sa well but I would be looking to use him up the ground a bit more on an HFF as I like his mobility and delivery. Hannan had just a game on Sunday but I would retain him. One of Bennell or Pickett I would replace. I would be tempted to give Pickett a rest. I would like to see Sparrow given a run in his place.

With regard to TMac, well, I do not see any great reason to get him back in just yet. He was not in form in all the games he played prior to his eye injury and I don't think it is necessary to have a third tall against Port.

So, for me... 

Out: Jetta, Pickett

In: Wagner, 

Just now, 58er said:
7 hours ago, CHF said:

The selections for the Port game will really depend on how the players pull up after the game on Sunday.

However, if selection was on form in the game, there would be a couple of changes. 

In defence, I saw Jetta as as weakness. He just does not seem to be able to track fast enough to a contest or his reading of the play is not what it used to be. After his head knocks, I could see him getting a rest and possibly brought back for the game after Port. I like the way the rest of the backline is playing. May, OMac, Lever, Salem and Hibberd are developing a good understanding and Lockhart, much to my surprise, is slotting in there well. Who gets a game in place of Jetta? well the obvious one would be Rivers but I would not be surprised to see Josh Wagner get  run.

Midfield did not perform up to standard at Max's feet. Not sure what the problem was? Caoching or players? If all have pulled up ok I would not change any in there. Petracca, Oliver and Viney on the inside with Brayshaw rotating there and Harmes used in a tagging role on an opposition key mid would be the way I would go. Langdon on one wing and a few, including Jones to rotate through the other. I do not see Jones getting dropped after one game. 

In the forwards o would definately retain Wiedeman, Jackson, Melksham combination at the heart of the attack. Fritsch is there sa well but I would be looking to use him up the ground a bit more on an HFF as I like his mobility and delivery. Hannan had just a game on Sunday but I would retain him. One of Bennell or Pickett I would replace. I would be tempted to give Pickett a rest. I would like to see Sparrow given a run in his place.

With regard to TMac, well, I do not see any great reason to get him back in just yet. He was not in form in all the games he played prior to his eye injury and I don't think it is necessary to have a third tall against Port.

So, for me... 

Out: Jetta, Pickett

In: Wagner, 

CHF Why Wagner ? Didn't even play in scratch I don't think! Clearly he is not up to AFL as proven over 5 years at Club.

Rivers deserves a spot and Jordan consideration as well along with Tom Mac and Sparrow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

I have changed my selections after reading Richo's article.

IN: T.MCDONALD, RIVERS, NEAL-BULLEN, SPARROW

OUT: JACKSON, JETTA, BENNELL, BRAYSHAW

I find it concerning that Tomlinson has been out of form and hasn't had a chance to get into form in the practice matches due to being carry over emergency not once but twice so Sparrow has been in good form in the practice matches and should be rewarded.

B: LOCKHART, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, SPARROW

HF: PICKETT, T.MCODNALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: MELKSHAM, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: HARMES, RIVERS, HANNAN, JONES 

Werridee interesting but don't think 4 changes will take place although some case for about 3 or 4 for relegation and/or managing are credible.

One clear "error" each week in your team is May at full backClearly Oscar takes this role as our goalkeeper and May is now mostly at CHB. I would also argue that Lever is at HB.

Sometimes it depends upon match ups I admit and the kicking back into play is mostly done by May and Salem.

I also think Oscar could do this and May offer an alternative to Gawny to kick out to.

Our kick outs are a little underwhelming IMO as not many players make space and then opt to play on rather go back and delay moving the ball, with some aggression.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 58er said:

CHF Why Wagner ? Didn't even play in scratch I don't think! Clearly he is not up to AFL as proven over 5 years at Club.

Rivers deserves a spot and Jordan consideration as well along with Tom Mac and Sparrow.

Have a look at the games he played in 2018. he was very good in a number of them I believe. At some stage during this season we need to get a look at him to see if he can provide depth.

I would like to see what he brings when he has a well structured defence around him. Smith is not the answer. If he is then you are asking the wrong question.We know what Rivers can bring to the table and he will develop over time. With the short turn around to the Port game I would like to see some freshness in the team.

8 minutes ago, CHF said:

Have a look at the games he played in 2018. he was very good in a number of them I believe. At some stage during this season we need to get a look at him to see if he can provide depth.

I would like to see what he brings when he has a well structured defence around him. Smith is not the answer. If he is then you are asking the wrong question.We know what Rivers can bring to the table and he will develop over time. With the short turn around to the Port game I would like to see some freshness in the team.

Wagner while quite physical and capable of getting the ball is a poor decision maker!

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Thanks Wdee 

But we are not obliged to try every 42 fit players in 2020 and after 5 years Josh despite his absolute determination and commitment is just not the answer.

Lever May and The others won't make any decisions for Josh and improve him like Oscar does especially with Lever.

Agree Nev a rest and Smithy should be moved to the forward line as an Xfactor who could cause quite a deal of damage with his height aerial ability and pace.

Rivers  completes our new look defence which has passed its test all season. We are playing for an 8 spot on Thursday and our best team is necessary vs Port.

Lets hoe we salute with a win as honourable losses don't quite cut the mustard in this very close and competitive season.

I are likely not alone but did predict that the Brisbane game would be on the line with 5 minutes to go. It was and we blew it. So its time to look hard at who panicked in the last minutes. Fritisch obviously but for me it was Hannan. He has to pay a penalty for not realising he had control of the ball and the game was in his hands. 

• Like 2

I'm just wondering how much AVB added to our structure at stoppages and rebound.

His tackling/pressure aids our mids to have the confidence to stay on the outside, so could Sparrow fill that role and move Jones to the HFF in the Bennell position. Happy to manage Bennell this week. Tomlinson could also fill that role.

TMac to play CHF. 

If Jackson plays he is the 2nd ruck, let Weid and TMac concentrate on competing and being in the right position. Jackson could also play midfield or high HFF.

Pickett has me up and down every week, he may need a spell and bring in ANB or Hunt. I'm not sure where Bedford is and haven't heard his name for a bit. 

As for Brayshaw it's hard to tell if he's playing a role or just out of form. But if he and Harmes are playing similar roles each may be hampering the other.

If Jetta is fit i think he'll play as they have plenty of small/medium forwards otherwise Harmes may head back and Jetta misses and Brayshaw stays in.

I like these dilemmas on selection, means we have some type of depth

In: TMac, ANB, Sparrow

Out: Bennell, Pickett, Brayshaw/Jetta

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 9:01 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

If Harmes isn't holding on to a jumpers and giving away a free, he's then trying to break tackles and gets pinged for it.

Dead set so predictable. 

When Harmes is at his best, he breaks those tackles and has a real impact usually as a tagger.

i'd love for him to get back to that form, but in the meantime i would agree to drop him maybe for rivers, possibly bedford. 

you also know harmes is at his best when he's going forward and hitting the scoreboard, i hope for the sake of our team he can get back to this but he's pretty far off at the moment. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adonski said:

Shocked so many are wanting Jackson dropped 

he plays more like a medium forward in that he doesnt take many contested marks at this stage but is good on the ground and smart with his disposal. I feel we could play 3 talls with Weed and TMac and give Max more help in the ruck without losing much in terms of mobility

• Like 1

Just now, chook fowler said:

he plays more like a medium forward in that he doesnt take many contested marks at this stage but is good on the ground and smart with his disposal. I feel we could play 3 talls with Weed and TMac and give Max more help in the ruck without losing much in terms of mobility

Throw Jacko on the wing I reckon

I can't believe the amount of Demonlanders who would like Fritsch dropped.......he is our leading goal kicker so far this season!

We all know that we have struggled to kick regular winning scores so we don't need to drop the guy who has kicked the most goals this season so far. Sure, his conversion rate could be better, but this can very quickly even itself out. He is regularly getting the ball within scoring range. 

Give us a few more that do that and we will start winning!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Go Dees!! said:

I can't believe the amount of Demonlanders who would like Fritsch dropped.......he is our leading goal kicker so far this season!

You get a few of these strange calls every week.

Reality is that we will make one or two changes, with those coming from the likes of Jetta and Brayshaw.  Goodwin might be disappointed in Fristch's efforts at the end, but he won't be dropping him for it.

• Like 3

from AFL injury report. VNB 1 week

vandenBerg is progressing well after cheekbone surgery last week and could return for Wednesday week's game against Adelaide. The only other concern was defender Neville Jetta, but he passed a concussion test during Sunday night's loss to Brisbane.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dieter said:

I've just finished watching the replay. If ever there was a game we should have won!

I liked the work of the backline, they are more coordinated now that Oscar is playing. Jetta is not playing as well as he has and I'd reluctantly give him a rest. Lockhart will be an asset.

Brayshaw is a worry, as is Pickett.Pickett simply isn't getting enough of the ball.  I really liked Weidmann's attack on the ball, hated his kicking - no doubt, he hated it even more. I liked Jackson. He is looking like a player. Hannan was quiet, Fritsch was quiet.

Harmes was awful.

Out: Harmes, Pickett, Jetta

IN: Tom Mac, Neale Bullen and Rivers.

Why would you drop Harmes?  To manage him,  l can understand a one game break will do him good and many others in the side need to be rested to freshen up However that is the nature of the game in 2020.

If you want  Harmes to miss because because of one ordinary game  D,  I hope not.  He can play in many positions and is very versatile. I would be very surprised to see him miss at this stage of the rounds.

OH! I agree with Pickett 18yo would need to be managed. Jetta  might be managed because of the head high tackles also his form might not warrant him a game this week.

Edited by nosoupforme
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, chook fowler said:

He actually doesnt seem likely to take a contested mark.i cant recall him ever clunking one .Weed on the other hand is a good but inconsistent contested mark.

• Like 1