Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: Rd 08 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Can’t believe a coaching panel can’t work out a role for a 198cm, reasonably agile player with a tank somewhere in our game plan. Maybe he is just instructed to keep running the lines along the wing to be an option like Langdon. He doesn’t have Langdon’s evasiveness but he is a better kick and would dominate overhead on the wing. Worth another chance. 

I want someone in who will chase down and harass the opposition. Jones, ANB or Thomlinson for mine. We have to remember that it is Vanders we are replacing. Happy for Jackson to keep his spot rather than automatically bringing TMac back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I wonder if Jetta is in trouble? I thought he was okay last week.

They could bring in a McDonald/Tomlinson/ANB for Vanders and Jetta.

Jetta is named in the 18 so likely to play (unless they invent an injury at the last minute.) Not sure whether he will start in the forward pocket however. ??

4 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Can’t believe a coaching panel can’t work out a role for a 198cm, reasonably agile player with a tank somewhere in our game plan. Maybe he is just instructed to keep running the lines along the wing to be an option like Langdon. He doesn’t have Langdon’s evasiveness but he is a better kick and would dominate overhead on the wing. Worth another chance. 

Yeah, I think the last game it 'appeared' he shirked a few contests. Not ideal for anyone, let alone a rather large unit. 

Now... I'm not going along the lines of..eveyone need to be 'hard' - the reality is no one like to get hurt... but if that is the case, that it is a bit of your default...what do you do with a player like that?

I personally think Tomlinson has a place in the side...weekly, i just don't quite know what the role is beyond being planted on the wing. 

1 hour ago, JTR said:

Lions have been playing two rucks all season.

Mostly Martin/McInerney but in the couple of rounds a few weeks back when Martin was out injured they brought in Archie Smith to pair up with McInerney.

Ironically how they were both Demons.

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

So no Stef Martin.....that is a big blow for the Lions. Oscar mcInerny to ruck?

I'd leave Jackson out and bring in Jones and Neal-Bullen. If its going to be a slog we want runners.

Jackson IS a runner, plus .........

I would bring in Jones but after reading the McGowan article in the fixture thread it sound like Tomlinson in for VDB might be the only change unless Nev pulls up sore (he seemed to hurt his shoulder slightly at the end of last week's game in the contest where Wingard hurt his foot).

54 minutes ago, MF-C said:

Bring in Jones

Move Melk up to a wing to try and play him in some form + he has a bit of toe to play there

Put Jones forward as he played alright there in the pre-season

Play him down back I think he could take Lockhart's spot. He was shocking up forward against Carlton.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Massive blow for the Lions with Martin out. Could potentially see Jackson dropped which would be a real shame. 

Not really a blow...Oscar has been doing a lot of the ruck work.

Stef hasn't come back well from injury.

With the predicted rain it looks like Tommy will miss, probably would have anyway.

Not sure on how Jackson handles the wet.

The rain and Martin out means I think we can't go in too tall.

As such, I think only one of Jackson and TMac plays.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's TMac with Jackson getting rested for next Thursday night vs Port.

But that will mean someone else has to replace vandenBerg. Presumably that will be Jones, but that doesn't particularly thrill me.

3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I might be crazy but I wouldn't tag Neale. He's an accumulator his possessions don't hurt. If he gets off the leash play Viney on him who can also tag very well. Keep Harmes on the wing on Robinson.

You are crazy.

Neale is a top 5 player in the comp at the moment.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's TMac with Jackson getting rested for next Thursday night vs Port.

But that will mean someone else has to replace vandenBerg. Presumably that will be Jones, but that doesn't particularly thrill me.

You are crazy.

I would have thought that Brisbane would be seen as less of a threat than Port, so I would think Jackson stays in this week and TMac comes in next week against Port... by then, Jackson will probably need a rest rather than play three games with not much break between the 2nd and 3rd.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

You are crazy.

Potentially leading the Brownlow mind you.

20 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Potentially leading the Brownlow mind you.

Reminds me a lot of Kennedy from the swans. Always good but then at a certain point went up a level to the very top echelon of players.

At the moment I reckon he us the best mid, perhaps player, in the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Interestingly, I felt he was scared of contact where he could have marked it and Wingard got his running in to goal, goal. That was my first response and after looking at the replay, it still felt the same. I'm all for players developing capacity - and clearly the FD see a range of other things that I am not. But, good luck to the bloke.

That's true - he might have heard footsteps there or possibly it was just too much of a stretch.  Given he hasn't played many games in defence at AFL level I think it's a possitive he was in the right spot - and you'd hope in future that he'll mark these sorts of entries.

As you say - good luck to the bloke.

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I wonder if Jetta is in trouble? I thought he was okay last week.

They could bring in a McDonald/Tomlinson/ANB for Vanders and Jetta.

Agree Daz did his job But showing signs.

Love Nev, have met his parents and a more loyal family you could never find!

Nev himself ... Ripper Bloke!

Probably our most telling selection yet!! Well if wet we must go small

I think Jones will play and even tho the youngster did well might miss out.

Nibbler also a chance Tmac Not sure 

Intriguing,? No doubt

Crucial , Crucial selections this week! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Interestingly, I felt he was scared of contact where he could have marked it and Wingard got his running in to goal, goal. That was my first response and after looking at the replay, it still felt the same. I'm all for players developing capacity - and clearly the FD see a range of other things that I am not. But, good luck to the bloke.

I noted that incident where Lockhart “didn’t take his turn”,and thought he was a definite “goner” for next week.

But my attitude changed in the third quarter afterHawthorn’s 3 goal comeback. All of the Dees ‘ 3 quick follow-up goals started with quick, accurate handballs from Lockhart just backward of centre. That was the end of the Hawks.

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
Clarification
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I noted that incident where Lockhart “didn’t take his turn”,and thought he was a definite “goner” for next week.

But my attitude changed in the third quarter afterHawthorn’s 3 goal comeback. All of the Dees ‘ 3 quick follow-up goals started with quick, accurate handballs from Lockhart just backward of centre. That was the end of the Hawks.

Thanks for that @Jumping Jack Clennett, interesting how I can character assistant someone based on one occasion, and miss the other important unsexy stuff they do.

Cheers

I feel too much respect is being paid to Neale.  Yes I know he is leading the voting panels but he doesn't really hurt in the same way Zorko and McCluggage do.  They are both goal kickers, Neale is not.

Fagan is a smart coach and neurtralizing Max's dominance will be his #1 goal.  They are a very smart mid-field and will rove to Max's taps.  Also, Lions is one of the teams last year that used the strategy: "match them on the inside, beat them on the outside".  So if roving to Max doesn't work they will try and stop us getting the ball out.  So we win the clearances but forced to turn the ball over.  If it gets into McCluggage's hands they are off to the races.

I would be tempted for Harmes to hard tag McCluggage.  Then let Viney run with Zorko; two bulls going at each other ?.  I would back Viney to win that!

Should be a ripper of a mid-field battle.

P.S.  I really hope Mathieson doesn't play.  He is from the Selwood ducking school and it often works to our detriment.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

Sadly, I can't see a case for Jones. 

I fear the Jones we know and love tapered off last year, when he put in some very good 'cameo games' but wasn't able to nail down a position.  And importantly he stopped chasing and tackling.  Even in his one game this year vs Carlton he barely touched the ball in the last quarter and seemed to run about a bit aimlessly. And if it is wet it will be hard going for someone with recurring calf issues. 

Lions are very agile so I don't think this is the game for him.  But I really hope he gets a game soon as this is the 4th week he has been in the named squad without getting a game.  Could get demoralising for him as he is a justifiably proud player.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero