Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 08 vs Brisbane

Josh

10 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

It will be a really tough selection week. Obviously the easy selection would be to make no change. But:

• TMac is in our best side and we need to get him up and playing at his best. And I don't think we should go with 3 talls, as pressure is so important.
  • Charlie Cameron is a tough match up for us and a key to winning. He is way too fast for Jetta and too good in the air for Lockhart. Joel Smith could be our best match up from an athletic perspective.
  • I still think Jones off half back would make us a better side.

I disagree that the easy selection is no change, and your points above actually support that. The harder decision would be no change I think and keeping Jackson and Weid as the forwards again

I'm not convinced TMac is "currently" in our best side for 2020, sure he will attract a good defender, but so will the other talls. Luke Jackson showed more value to our side and excited me a lot more this week than what I have seen for the last 12 months with TMac, I have been waiting for him to re-capture that 2018 form, but it hasn't happened. Admittedly not playing 2 talls doesn't help him, but injury can be ruthless if the player who comes in plays well. Weid is playing the role that we expect TMac to play, and he's doing it better job of it, and on form Harris Andrews is likely to go to Weid on form, rather than TMac...

Also of the opinion that Jones is unlikely to get many gigs playing off half back, His remaining future would be a role in the team is as a half forward with some brief stints in the midfield.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Greendale said:

13 touches at 53% efficiency after 11 with 72% the week before. Four clangers in both games. His pressure is undoubtedly very good but for me his ball use has been lacking. I don't think he's been terrible but Jones and Tomlinson would both be gunning for his spot, and I think we need to always drive high standards.

'We ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

The following users have been a bit quiet since saying that Oliver needed to be dropped and has been a liability? Where are you guys now? Typical reactionary posters.  Players don't improve their skills/decision making in a fortnight so why not drop him now?

elegt
spc
deetox
fanatique demon
myfavouritemartian
Rodney grinder
demon dude
cards13
coq au vin
layzie
deespicable
the jackson 6
deezone

Lol!!! my post: "And him... he needs to take accountability as well. Look at Tracc... get off the video games and learn how to be a better player. "

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SPC said:

Jackson rucking, means a better performance out of Weid spending 100% of time forward.. no change 

I agree that Weideman needs to spend 100% of game time in the forward line. However, if Tom McDonald comes into the side he could take on the second ruck role which allows Weideman to remain as a full-time forward should Jackson be omitted.

11 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Just the one change T.Mac for Lockhart keep Jacko in he's a gun.

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: SALEM, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, HARMES

HF: PICKETT, T.MCDONALD, BENNELL

F: JACKSON, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, VANDENBERG, HANNAN, MELKSHAM

So, Werridee, who's your seventh defender? We always play a mix of 2 talls/ 5 smalls or 3 talls/ 4 smaller defenders to allow for rotations.

3 hours ago, old dee said:

With the number of games we have to play in the next few weeks with five day breaks etc. I would not be surprised to see a couple rested. 

This is a critical issue. It would be helpful if we knew what the forward program beyond next week was. I wouldn't be at all surprised if players who have had limited preparations start getting rested soon. That may include Bennell, Pickett, vandenBerg and Jackson (although if Jackson is replaced this week, I doubt it's because he needs a rest.)

And now to what I suspect will be my most contentious point. I liked what I saw with Jackson and I agree the more game time he gets, the better he will become. But I don't think he was particularly good. Yes, he was a lot better than his first game. Yes, he shows the traits and style we want to see. Yes, I was impressed with his willingness to get to the ball and make contests. But, I don't think he really did that much. Would I select him next week? Yes. I would also select Tom McDonald and decide which of Bennell, Pickett or vandenBerg needs a rest. That player not only could come back the following week but it should be made clear to them that it's about management not form. 

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 2

In an earlier post I said 'no change' in the interests of settling the team and and consistency. 

But Melksham should count himself lucky if he is in this week.  In 6 games has had no impact in any features of the game.  Hardly sighted and seems to stand still on the outside of the pack rather than assist or move and create options.  Has forgotten how to tackle or chase. 

Can't see him being dropped but TMac has offered more this year.

Lockhart keeps getting picked so he is playing a role so stays in.  TMAC is in our best 22, if he is at his best, which he is not so no need to rush in when Jackson and Weid worked well.  

No changes for me.

Gus was the really only player that seemed below par but finished better in the last.

Omac got going in the second half.

Tmac will struggle given Sam w could have easily had 5 sausages.

Add Hannan playing like his old self and Fritta doing likewise, the  solid game from Jackson and Id leave the fwd line alone for sure.

With Pickett for to crumb some sausages it all looks pretty exciting.

Edited by leave it to deever

Part of the selection might depend on the fixture release, if we have a short turn around then we might start planning for the month coming up. Brisbane's strengths are their contested ball winners (same as us), their tall defenders and small forwards. I'd be tempted to bring Smith back in as a medium/small defender that could potentially go with Cameron or start on Rayner who has been looking good the last few games. We also need someone to continually distract Andrews, I'd be getting Weid to take him very deep all game, don't let him come up near the ball even if it sacrifices his own game, to do that we might need TMac as another tall marking option.

I'd be thinking about Smith and TMac for Lockhart/Jetta and Melksham this week. Although it is hard to make changes after such a good win, the next block of games could be very condensed so they need to think about that early. 

I understand people calling for AVB to be dropped (13 touches at 54% efficiency). For me, he brings a level of ferocity and intensity to the team that lifts his teammates. An early smother in the first term set a tone that there would be no easy exits from our forward line. His possession heat-map shows a player that runs hard defensively to help out the back-line.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes way for TMAC who might push further up the ground to the wing, but I'd like to give him more of a run for continuity, and I think improved ball-use will come.  

Edited by TickleMeTyson
  • Like 4

No changes for me. Really looking forward to Sunday. This is an opportunity to build on the last couple of weeks against a top side, while potentially securing a spot in the 8 with a game up our sleeve. So far we've lost to three top 8 sides (Richmond, Geelong and WCE), beaten 1 top 8 side (GCS) and Beaton two bottom 8 sides (Carlton and Hawthorn). We are playing our best footy in 18 months and have looked better each week. Dees!

37 minutes ago, TickleMeTyson said:

I understand people calling for AVB to be dropped (13 touches at 54% efficiency). For me, he brings a level of ferocity and intensity to the team that lifts his teammates. An early smother in the first term set a tone that there would be no easy exits from our forward line. His possession heat-map shows a player that runs hard defensively to help out the back-line.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes way for TMAC who might push further up the ground to the wing, but I'd like to give him more of a run for continuity, and I think improved ball-use will come.  

Can't see how you could play three talls plus Fritsch. Interesting discussion though.

If AVB goes out it's for Jones or perhaps Sparrow (who I don't really know much about.)

Prior to his injury, TMac appeared to be finding some good form, especially with his contested marking.  If there are no doubts at all about his eye, I think he has to come back in.  At whose expense is the question though.  

I'd love to keep LJ in the side to keep developing and to be the second ruck instead of Weeds having to do it.

I think Melksham maybe the one to miss out.  He plays more like a tall forward than a high pressure forward, so it wouldn't change the balance too much to have him out and TMac in. 

• Like 1

If I heard correctly Max said in one of the many videos on the MFC site that Melksham and Lever have been recently added to an extended leadership group.  If so I'll be very surprised if Melksham misses out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

No changes for me.

Gus was the really only player that seemed below par but finished better in the last.

Omac got going in the second half.

Tmac will struggle given Sam w could have easily had 5 sausages.

Add Hannan playing like his old self and Fritta doing likewise, the  solid game from Jackson and Id leave the fwd line alone for sure.

With Pickett for to crumb some sausages it all looks pretty exciting.

Just finished watching the game. Gus was let down by 4 terrible kicks if two came off there was no hawthorn player around and two goals would have been added to the score line. Has to get his kicking going.

Two observations from being at the ground. Lockhart does a lot off the ball and looks like a key part of the defence. He is clearly still learning and does get beaten from time to time but it would be harsh if he was dropped unless he needs the rest. 

I thought Vanders in his first 2 outings looked off the pace but having seen him live in the last 2 outings he adds some real presence around contests. He had couple of terrible disposals but there was a sense of panic on the part of the Hawks when they heard him coming (or felt his presence). I think he is doing a job off the ball as well. 

I doubt it will be a tough week for selectors with everyone doing their job, just bad luck for those not included this week. Very hard to see any change. 

Edited by Robbie57
  • Like 16

Melksham is basically playing as a marking forward at the moment and offering very little defensively or when the ball hits the ground.  I think TMac comes in for him.  That gives us Weiderman as deep forward and two hit up mobile talls in Jackson and Mcdonald.

28 minutes ago, old dee said:

Just finished watching the game. Gus was let down by 4 terrible kicks if two came off there was no hawthorn player around and two goals would have been added to the score line. Has to get his kicking going.

Agreed OD, but his pass to Weideman in the third quarter was a ripper; wasn't it?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

We also need someone to continually distract Andrews, I'd be getting Weid to take him very deep all game, don't let him come up near the ball even if it sacrifices his own game, to do that we might need TMac as another tall marking option.

The problem with attempting to drag Andrew’s deep is that every time you go inside 50 he’ll be there.

I’d be trying to work switches and corridor kicks and get the ball to the other half forward flank and bypass Andrew’s altogether. 

Melksham was marginally better this week but now that we seem to be making a concerted effort to lower the eyes I'd like to see Hunt come back in for Jake. Has breakaway speed and good leading patterns. Plus tackling pressure. 

I didn't catch as much superlative-wise as others re. Jackson but a shame Tomald showed a flicker of form before copping the eye-scratch. Otherwise would be a no-brainer. I'm afraid that will be the swap. Get games into Jackson now. 

Plus exuberance. This isn't a return to 2018. It's the results on a mini-rebuild based on list imbalance, and the off-season inclusions are all playing with confidence: our younger less mentally damaged midfield and forwards are now our core. 

Also - the structure now feels about right in both the front and back end. Tmac shouldn't come in for another medium. Fritsch, Pickett, Hunt, Bennel and Hannan in my mind are a difficult small-to-medium fleet  to contain en masse. 

Angus needs a spell. It worked wonders last time around and seems to be working for those forced to fight for selection. Still immature and needs another giddy-up. Not sure who comes in but Jones has better delivery for starters. ANB is okay. 

Ins: Hunt, Jones

Outs: Melksham, Brayshaw

Edited by Skuit

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Don't understand why people wanting Lockhart drop.

Brisbane have Cameron, McCarthy, Rayner as their smalls up forward who are all dangerous in their own way.

Lockhart you'd think takes one of them.

Agree, Lockhart stays in, there smalls are dynamic, its about continuity in the backline as well. They are doing well as a group our scores against this year are:

R1 - 78 WC in Perth

R2 - 53  Carlton

R3 - N/A v Ess

R4 - 47 v Geelong

R5 - 70 v Rich

R6 - 63 v GC

R7 - 48 v Haw

I think there will be no change but i would get Tom Mc in.. Not sure who goes out though

I'm a little unsure about how to contain the Lions backline. Nev to Cameron seems the obvious one. the talls are easy enough to figure out. but not sure who plays on Raynor. feel like Hibberd won't be good enough one on one 

4 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I'm a little unsure about how to contain the Lions backline. Nev to Cameron seems the obvious one. the talls are easy enough to figure out. but not sure who plays on Raynor. feel like Hibberd won't be good enough one on one 

Could Harmes go to Raynor? or does he go to McCluggage? I think Hibbo could match up well with Raynor though.