Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

He is still experimenting but whatever plan he comes up with he has a limited/aging/injury prone list and I reckon he knows it.  I think he is coming to terms with his team's inability to change game plans at the drop of a hat. 

He spent big with top draft picks to get Mitchell and O'Meara but both have been dogged by serious injuries and they may never be as good as they once were.  He had one first round pick in recent years, used it on Burton (?) and traded him against his will for Wingard.  This all says he is trying to take a shortcut to the next flag.  

Not sure that patience is one of his virtues so the next few years will be interesting for them.  Maybe Lewis was right and he should hand over the reins to S. Mitchell.

Anyway, I reckon we will win.

Yeah, totally, mate. He has had the luxury of crippling their young talent stocks over the last 3-4 years by trading out of the first round, but I wonder if he's going to leave Hawthorn in a Ross Lyon-like situation, with an aging list of inconsistent players (Wingard, Frost, Frawley, Scully etc) and little good young talent. If it back fires, they might spend some time in the wilderness, which would be great. ;)

You can never rule out Hawthorn though, they are the modern football club to aspire to in terms of onfield success and list management, and FD structure. 

I hope you're right about the result too. We have a knack of losing games that we dominate and should win. It's frustrating, because as I've said before, I reckon there are a lot more average teams this year than good and a flag really was for the taking. I just can't see it happening this year for us.

• Like 1

They bang on about how Weideman takes/gets to the ball at the highest point but I just don’t see that enough to consider it an attribute. 

Jackson on the other hand... gets his timing right he can pluck them like the King twins. 
Looking forward to the Jacko/Gawn combo against McEvoy this weekend. A can of whoop-[censored] could be in the offing. 

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 4

The tale of two lists:

Average Attributes
  Hawthorn Attribute Melbourne  
187.2cm Height 187.4cm
85.6kg Weight 87.2kg
27yr 0mth Age 25yr 5mth
128.0 Games 83.1

Total Players By Games
  Hawthorn Games Melbourne  
6 Less than 50 6
5 50 to 99 10
1 100 to 149 4
10 150 or more 2

Hawthorn need to win the flag this year or next.  We've got a 5+ year window open.

Only Geelong older than Hawthorn:

Average Attributes
  Geelong Attribute Collingwood  
188.2cm Height 187.0cm
88.7kg Weight 86.3kg
27yr 3mth Age 25yr 10mth
135.4 Games 104.5

Total Players By Games
  Geelong Games Collingwood  
6 Less than 50 8
5 50 to 99 3
1 100 to 149 6
10 150 or more 5
Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Jackson on the other hand... gets his timing right he can pluck them like the King twins.

Got big hopes for Jacko, but this seems a big call based on the 1 mark he's taken at AFL level.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Fifty-5 said:

The tale of two lists:

Average Attributes
  Hawthorn Attribute Melbourne  
187.2cm Height 187.4cm
85.6kg Weight 87.2kg
27yr 0mth Age 25yr 5mth
128.0 Games 83.1

Total Players By Games
  Hawthorn Games Melbourne  
6 Less than 50 6
5 50 to 99 10
1 100 to 149 4
10 150 or more 2

2nd chart very interesting.

General thinking is that players between 50 and 150 games are the next premiership core.  We have 14 they have 6.  Says a lot about the respective lists, especially as their 10 > 150 games are at or over 30 age.

As I mentioned in another post they can't run and can't chase.  If we run and show use the composure of last week we have this :lol:.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, A F said:

I don't think many have glorified that year. I think most people on Demonland remind others when they're putting us down, that we did actually make a prelim and so it was not a failed year. 

And despite us not being able to beat a top 8 team until a depleted West Coast in Round 22 and GWS in Round 23, we still managed to beat Geelong and Hawthorn under enormous pressure in sudden death games to packed MCGs. 

It was a very good year of progress and for mine nobody is glorifying it, just pointing out that we made a [censored] prelim.

Yes, I don't really understand what that couldn't beat a top team comment is supposed to mean, we ended up beating 4 of them in a row. It's like saying we couldn't beat them until we did.

• Like 2

Well colour me surprised, although not disappointed to see them go with Jackson again.  

The only worry I have is that their tall's will bully him a little if we just bomb it long, but I think he has the athleticism to potentially give them a few problems.

Happy that we have backed in a winning side as well.  Would have been no change if not for Tom's injury.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Got big hopes for Jacko, but this seems a big call based on the 1 mark he's taken at AFL level.

You’ve seen his leap. The potential is enormous but I completely understand your call on a sample of one game and one mark.

FMD. 

• Like 5

A lot of weight on the Weid and Jacksons shoulders this week. I'm sure we'll get it in there enough but will we kick a winning score?

Ceglar hasn't been killing it for the Hawks but he'll be a decent out for them and maybe force McEvoy back into the ruck.

I see that as a win as I'm worried about how Weid and LJ will compete already wrestling big bodies in Frawley and Frost before worrying about McEvoy and Sicily in the air.

As much as I'm excited about LJ, I'm really not expecting to see anything other than the occasional flash of excitement this year and next.  I'm not sure what he's going to add yet but hopeful of the best.

Excited for a few matchups.  First in Melksham on Sicily.  Melksham got right under his skin in the 2018 semi final and I loved it.  Want to see this again.

From the Hawks games I've seen this year, I'd definitely have Harmes on a shut down roll on Smith and Viney to Mitchell.  Smith is there prime mover of the ball and Mitchell isn't back at his best but is still continually winning lots of the ball.  Hopefully if we negate these two in the midfield then Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca and Harley can keep us moving.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

In - Jackson

Out - T Mac (inj)

508CBF5B-3C74-4D4F-9FE4-F33C92A07620.jpeg

Don't mind that selection at all. Gutsy. 

Will be interesting to see if he plays up the ground like tmac was, with weed deep. I assume he will as he is not a FF.

One option that it gives us is giving jackson an extended stretch in the ruck and putting maxy forward. 

Maxy is marking it so well at the moment and he would really stretch their backline (any back line really). Just has to hand the shot at goal off!

• Like 3

It was interesting last week seeing May drift forward at one stage, it indicates that Goodwin isn’t averse to trying that every now and then. May didn’t do a lot right up there but his last quarter was downright bizarre, took some good marks but had diabolical disposal and decision making. 

Who knows, May could become a swing man for us as and when he’s needed. 

1 hour ago, loges said:

A lot of weight on the Weid and Jacksons shoulders this week. I'm sure we'll get it in there enough but will we kick a winning score?

That was a concern I had with us selecting Jackson over Brown, I’m not entirely against it but I worry that we’re hoping a large portion of our goals will come from a combination of a returning young forward who’s trying to gain confidence and a first year high draft pick who’s more ruckman than forward. 

Perhaps LJs bigger role will be to provide foil for Weid and larger amount of ruck duties to allow Max to play forward. I also can see a few magnets getting thrown around a bit at times. 

Would’ve preferred Brown for his experience but still good luck to Luke!

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Garbage selection again Simon, why go with undersized Forwards and an inexperienced Tall against a Tall Hawks backline

Goodwin has again, played right into Clarksons Hands .. No Smith no Brown.. Watch this explode like a thripenny bunger in your hand>

Goody and selections never seem to amaze. Jones also should have played 

Hawks on rebound .. lets see this unfold!

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Garbage selection again Simon, why go with undersized Forwards and an inexperienced Tall against a Tall Hawks backline

Goodwin has again, played right into Clarksons Hands .. No Smith no Brown.. Watch this explode like a thripenny bunger in your hand>

Lord help us if we were relying on Joel Smith and Mitch Brown to get us the win.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I’m not exactly sure where you get garbage from, we won last week so it stands to reason minimal changes would be made. What makes you hot on Smith coming in? Brown I can understand, more experienced body would’ve been my preferred choice but I also recognise the LJ was close to plucking a lot of marks in his first game, he may have had the jitters. 

I’m ok with them giving him another crack at it, and LJ can provide Max with some much needed relief. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Under sized forwards? Witch's talkin' about Lewis?

Weed and jackson are 195 and 199 cms respectively. 

How tall is frost and frawley?

Edited by binman
Fixed
  • Like 1