Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

47 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I reckon Hannan is interesting. Since coming in he’s played very low possession games - 7, 10, and 8 disposals, but it in each game he gets involved in one or two crucial score involvements. I can’t help but feel there will come a game where he doesn’t manage those couple of critical involvements and he will seem like a complete passenger.

I think he still needs to get more of the ball before I’m comfortable with fully relying on him as a flanker.

It’s the games where he does multiple chases and pressure that mean more than a few extra stats. When he does this it’s hugely beneficial and one time him and Kozzie chases four players and the kick was rushed and down the line to Brayshaw who marked. 

• Like 2

And those complaining about Oliver’s punch/non punch. 
May the end of the day don’t throw a punch there is no free. Any punch thrown wether it hits or not should be a week of the AFL were actually serious about eradicating punches thrown. 

It’s an unnecessary act that leads to nothing positive but can lead to negative consequences. So why do it. It’s stupid.

Gawns marking all night was fabulous and we missed that but geez my hearts stops when he’s kicking it.

Never thought I’d say this but I felt more comfortable with Omac in defence! He did a great job last night.

Weid still worries me and looks so lost but hopefully a few weeks in the team can build his confidence. He needs to learn that, that forward line is his! He owns it. so now Control it and lead the way. Demand the ball and get defenders worried about you and what you’ll do next. Get tough!

melks.. I don’t know what’s going on with him.

harmes in the forward half of the ground!? Yes please. Every week would be good.

This is the Viney we love. Crash and bash. Best on with Trac today.

Trac wow. Maturing as each game goes on. I’m glad to see he has finally arrived.

Edited by Demongirl35
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I couldn’t get my head around the fact that all our kick-ins went to the same side while the other side of the ground was open for players to run into.

Bizarre coaching decision. 

We only have one kick in strategy.  Kick it to gawn.  It worked last night but won't most weeks. 

• Like 2

I think we're going to quickly learn to hate Izak Rankine. Hi extraordinary arrogance is actually matched by his level of skill. They've got a few Ferraris in that team. I reckon they'll be right up there with Brisbane in the next few years. Incredible debut!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Hudson is an absolute smarmy [censored], always has a dig at the Demons. You'd think he was a 300 game veteran the way he goes on instead of the dweeb he really is

100%. Could not kick a drop punt if he tried. 

Was much happier with how we moved the ball away from centre bounces last night.  I think all our mids played a role in this, but particularly liked Harmes and Brayshaw getting in amongst it.  Actually made use of Gawn's dominance in the ruck.  Oliver was getting heaps of attention at the centre bounces and should have been paid a heap more frees for holding the man.

I think sometimes we just try to bomb it long out of the guts which can have mixed sucess.  Harms long penetrating kick that cleared the pack resulted in a goal when we didn't let them have a sweeper and Bailey made good position to capitalize on it.  So long as those kicks go long, I think it's a win for us as even if it does get turned over, at least it gives us an oppertunity to setup a d lock the ball in our forward half.

Will be interesting to see if we are able to repeat this against Hawthorn's mids, who I think are better than the GC, but also somewhat overrated.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, btdemon said:

I think we're going to quickly learn to hate Izak Rankine. Hi extraordinary arrogance is actually matched by his level of skill. They've got a few Ferraris in that team. I reckon they'll be right up there with Brisbane in the next few years. Incredible debut!

I think I'll actually love watching him play against everyone except us.  Freakish talent, but definitely knows that as well.

He was trying to on everyone last night and comming unstuck on a number of occasions, but I think he'll find his boundaries and adjust at the higher level very quickly and become a very dangerous player.

• Like 1

I love when Viney plays that. Just the will to win every contest.

Only negative, we need to stop pushing players after they have already disposed of the ball. Soft or not, it is always going to get called a down field free. We’ve been doing it all year.

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Is it lucky that Gawn has a good marking day when he’s the best mark in the comp and knows he has his opponent covered?

Last week we ran a couple of set plays of Gawn coming back to the middle. We win the ball but turned it over and got killed.

Against Carlton May tried to lace out a heap of kicks with various levels of success. 

The Giants ground is thin and the Suns had a tight zone. There were a couple of chances to go the fat side and then run in to space, but the forward line and mids have to do a heap of work and hit targets.

We had a strategy that was working and playing to our strengths with Gawn and contested footy. Isn’t that what people want from that coaches?

Aggree with this.  We wouldn't want to tweak too much would we?

But also, I understand what Jaded is saying: it would be nice to have 2 or 3 kick out plays we can successfully use. 

5 hours ago, Pates said:

Just heard Huddo’s smart [censored] comment of “jeez you’d think they’ve won the flag with that reaction”. What a [censored] he is, instead of that comment why wouldn’t he say something like, “look at them get around him for his first goal in 3 years”. 

I know this is pretty much the way it is but some commentators literally need a change of pants if one of their favourites does something they like, but something actually heartwarming and uplifting in these difficult times gets met with that. What a [censored]. 

If you looked like Huddo (sun-dried E.T figurine) you’d be bitter too. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Gorgoroth said:

And those complaining about Oliver’s punch/non punch. 
May the end of the day don’t throw a punch there is no free. Any punch thrown wether it hits or not should be a week of the AFL were actually serious about eradicating punches thrown. 

It’s an unnecessary act that leads to nothing positive but can lead to negative consequences. So why do it. It’s stupid.

I can't agree more with this sentiment.  BUT Oliver is regularly punched and hit off the ball by his opponents, multiple times every week. And they are real punches targetted at gut, kidneys, solar plexus etc. too, not just a little flailing arm push like Oliver did to Rankine.

I'm not saying any of it should be acceptable. But you can't penalise teams with shots on goal for the soft ones, and let the others go. 

Oliver has become an umpire target unfortunately. He didn't get the frees for holding the man but gets pinged at the slightest touch the other way. It's a disgrace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

I don’t mind Hudson normally - he is an actual commentator in a world of dopey meathead ex-footballers. Lyon and Brown were far more insufferable than Hudson.

That said, his comment around the celebration with Bennell in what was clearly an emotional moment was a dreadful call that demonstrated he clearly wasn’t reading the play. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume Jonno Brown’s constant grunting Neanderthal attitude had worn him down and created a judgment lapse.

2 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Agree. Hudson should have highlighted the team bond around Bennell.  He missed it. Poor form.
Little dweeeb hudson - 
“You’d think they’d have won the flag” 

what’s should have said- 

“wow. Why not celebrate. Clearly Harleys comeback means a lot to him and his teammates. Great stuff”.  

Terrible call from Huddo. Totally misread the situation. Pot calling kettle black considering his Bruce-esque salivation whenever the first gamer went near the ball. 

Credit to Garry for correcting why it was such an emotional moment. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I couldn’t get my head around the fact that all our kick-ins went to the same side while the other side of the ground was open for players to run into.

Bizarre coaching decision. 

Strange to assume it's just a coaching decision.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

I reckon Hannan is interesting. Since coming in he’s played very low possession games - 7, 10, and 8 disposals, but it in each game he gets involved in one or two crucial score involvements. I can’t help but feel there will come a game where he doesn’t manage those couple of critical involvements and he will seem like a complete passenger.

I think he still needs to get more of the ball before I’m comfortable with fully relying on him as a flanker.

hannan has a high football iq and knows positioning. his performance is ultimately determined by the quality of possession coming out of defence. he gets 10 possessions but they're often possessions that put us in a good position to score. once he figures out how to win more of the ball consistently he can be very damaging for us. we're always well placed when he and/or Petracca are getting good touches around the wing and half forward. i don't think it's a coincidence that a low impact Hannan game often results in a loss.

• Like 4

My thoughts on last night's game.

We finally played a 4 quarter game. I was dreading which quarter we would let them kick 4 or 5 goals in a row but we didn't. I thought at times when we were challenged we rose and went up a cog and fought back. Our leaders in Viney and Gawn were really pivotal in doing this.

Our connection forward of centre was much better. But it still needs work. Unfortunately Tmac started off in 2018 form and then was done for for the night which lead Weideman to compete and crash which I thought he really well. At one stage in the 3rd he drew about 5 GC blokes and crashed the pack which lead to Viney setting up a goal.

Defence was really strong. I thought Omac played like he had a point to prove, he looked quick and more reactive and wasn't afraid to take the game on. Took a goal saving mark in the last where he positioned himself well. Lever showed glimpse of getting back to his best, he too took a goal saving mark in the last 5 minutes as well. May completely shut down Ben King, though some of his kicking was very sloppy.

Unfortunately our kick out are so predictable. Bang on Maxy head on the left side of the ground. Goody needs to rectify this immediately because we've done this every week.

Just one some players,

Weideman - Leave him in Goodwin. He's exactly what we've missed the past few weeks and he draws at least 2 defenders for his ability to jump and crash packs. Should take confidence out of this game.

Bennell - Again, just bloody leave him in the team Goody! When others seemed rush, he slowed time down when he had the ball and showed glimpse of his class from his 2014/2015 years when he was elite. Bloody excites me that he could potentially get back to his elite self again.

Hannah - Mr clutch. Becoming renown as someone who stands up in the critical moments with a goal or a tackle. His pressure was immense and while he didn't get much of the ball, he's always involved making defenders nervous. His delivery to Weideman was just pure.

Gawn - A real captain and workhorse game. I ready some crazy stat that he only spent like 5 minutes on the bench for the whole game. Surely he's AA form again.

Viney - Back to the Viney we know. Played angry and it showed in his performance. His delivery was so much better and he lowered his eyes which set up a couple of goals. Well done Vines.

Petracca - Look honestly I was disappointed with Petraccas game. Yes he kicked a good clutch goal but he played too much Hollywood football for my liking. Majority of the night he rushed his kicking when the likes of Oliver and Viney were taking time with the ball. Hopefully he cleans this up next week because he still showed glimpse what a superstar he could become. Just needs to tighten up on those loose screws.

Pickett - Again, didn't get a lot of the ball but his pressure was simply immense. He had 4 goal assists and just does those little things like the knock on to Frietsch for the goal and the checkside to Bennell and you just know there's class there to work with. His set up to Harmes was a delicious. Kind of player you know that if you keep playing he'll get better and have a break out game.

Special shout out to Vanders, Langdon, Salem, Oliver and Hibbered who all played really good games and had vital moments in the game.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Loved Hannan's game, but that's a bit of a common theme.

It was - for him, typically - very effective when needed and made a real difference to the outcome as a contributor. We must also remember other than being a good opportunist and runner at the HF to deep forward areas, he is also capable of getting up there to take the 'timed' leap into the blue - marking sometimes spectacularly, from nowhere. I'd like to also note about his value (and accuracy) with the check side/banana kick from the pockets - in two games, two miraculous goals and one each from either side of the sticks. Value this lad ...

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

My thoughts on last night's game.

We finally played a 4 quarter game. I was dreading which quarter we would let them kick 4 or 5 goals in a row but we didn't. I thought at times when we were challenged we rose and went up a cog and fought back. Our leaders in Viney and Gawn were really pivotal in doing this.

Our connection forward of centre was much better. But it still needs work. Unfortunately Tmac started off in 2018 form and then was done for for the night which lead Weideman to compete and crash which I thought he really well. At one stage in the 3rd he drew about 5 GC blokes and crashed the pack which lead to Viney setting up a goal.

Defence was really strong. I thought Omac played like he had a point to prove, he looked quick and more reactive and wasn't afraid to take the game on. Took a goal saving mark in the last where he positioned himself well. Lever showed glimpse of getting back to his best, he too took a goal saving mark in the last 5 minutes as well. May completely shut down Ben King, though some of his kicking was very sloppy.

Unfortunately our kick out are so predictable. Bang on Maxy head on the left side of the ground. Goody needs to rectify this immediately because we've done this every week.

Just one some players,

Weideman - Leave him in Goodwin. He's exactly what we've missed the past few weeks and he draws at least 2 defenders for his ability to jump and crash packs. Should take confidence out of this game.

Bennell - Again, just bloody leave him in the team Goody! When others seemed rush, he slowed time down when he had the ball and showed glimpse of his class from his 2014/2015 years when he was elite. Bloody excites me that he could potentially get back to his elite self again.

Hannah - Mr clutch. Becoming renown as someone who stands up in the critical moments with a goal or a tackle. His pressure was immense and while he didn't get much of the ball, he's always involved making defenders nervous. His delivery to Weideman was just pure.

Gawn - A real captain and workhorse game. I ready some crazy stat that he only spent like 5 minutes on the bench for the whole game. Surely he's AA form again.

Viney - Back to the Viney we know. Played angry and it showed in his performance. His delivery was so much better and he lowered his eyes which set up a couple of goals. Well done Vines.

Petracca - Look honestly I was disappointed with Petraccas game. Yes he kicked a good clutch goal but he played too much Hollywood football for my liking. Majority of the night he rushed his kicking when the likes of Oliver and Viney were taking time with the ball. Hopefully he cleans this up next week because he still showed glimpse what a superstar he could become. Just needs to tighten up on those loose screws.

Pickett - Again, didn't get a lot of the ball but his pressure was simply immense. He had 4 goal assists and just does those little things like the knock on to Frietsch for the goal and the checkside to Bennell and you just know there's class there to work with. His set up to Harmes was a delicious. Kind of player you know that if you keep playing he'll get better and have a break out game.

Special shout out to Vanders, Langdon, Salem, Oliver and Hibbered who all played really good games and had vital moments in the game.

Don’t be surprised if Bennell is left out in the next game, they are quite rightly being very careful with him.

Edited by old dee
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Umpiring!    You know it is really bad when Melbourne gets a free and I shout 'that is ridculous'.   Unfortunately most of the bad decisions/non-decisions went the Suns' way.  This new 'interpretation' of holding the ball is absurd.  Umpires may as well toss a coin.  Seems if they can see the ball it is just no prior opportunity and a ball-up, but if they can't see the ball it is 'no attempt to dispose'.  The AFL is run by idiots.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, sue said:

Umpiring!    You know it is really bad when Melbourne gets a free and I shout 'that is ridculous'.   Unfortunately most of the bad decisions/non-decisions went the Suns' way.  This new 'interpretation' of holding the ball is absurd.  Umpires may as well toss a coin.  Seems if they can see the ball it is just no prior opportunity and a ball-up, but if they can't see the ball it is 'no attempt to dispose'.  The AFL is run by idiots.

That one where we caught the GC red handed in a perfect tackle with plenty of prior 10m in front of our goals infuriated me, in much the same way as the unpaid Dusty dropping the ball last week.

Reeked of gutless umpiring, yet it would have been paid every day of the week against us, particularly for one of their love child sides like Hawthorn, Richmond etc.

• Like 4