Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Dees to win flag

chookrat

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

Not sure that we want to improve inaccuracy. But if it improves accuracy I'm for it. 

In theory, improving our inaccuracy may actually improve our accuracy - our kicking to the wrong position may end up going to right position!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, BW511 said:

Love the optimism Chook, however what makes you think we can turn this around in a matter of weeks when the problem has existed for 18 months?

The ball is in the wrong hands at crucial times because of selection, unless Goody and co want to eat humble pie, that won't change.

It's a good question BW511. I think we are in quite a different position to last season in that we have our best forward and backline finally playing, and we are much stronger around the ball, with one key problem that our ball use in the forward half from our midfield is deplorable.

If we look at the key offenders being Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw, we know that Oliver can kick well when he slows down a bit, Brayshaw is very skillful on both sides of his body and was massive in 2018 when he finished 3rd in the Brownlow largely due to his inside 50 entry. Viney isn't a great kick but his decision making has been the main problem. Bennell will be back in the sidevery soon to bring some outside class and Petracca will be more damaging if he can get on the outside and kick more often.

I feel this year is much different to last despite the same outcome of poor inside 50 entry and goal kicking. I reckon we will find out in the next 5 weeks.

13 minutes ago, chookrat said:

It's a good question BW511. I think we are in quite a different position to last season in that we have our best forward and backline finally playing, and we are much stronger around the ball, with one key problem that our ball use in the forward half from our midfield is deplorable.

If we look at the key offenders being Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw, we know that Oliver can kick well when he slows down a bit, Brayshaw is very skillful on both sides of his body and was massive in 2018 when he finished 3rd in the Brownlow largely due to his inside 50 entry. Viney isn't a great kick but his decision making has been the main problem. Bennell will be back in the sidevery soon to bring some outside class and Petracca will be more damaging if he can get on the outside and kick more often.

I feel this year is much different to last despite the same outcome of poor inside 50 entry and goal kicking. I reckon we will find out in the next 5 weeks.

I doubt I will survive another five weeks chook.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, chookrat said:

I reckon we are in good shape for a tilt at the flag this year and here are my reasons;

1. Eight matches into round 5 we are sitting at 1-3. Improve our composure in forward half and we are likely to find ourselves at 3-3 by the end of round 6.

2. Our list is fit, with no injuries to our best 33 players. The expected compressed fixture will work in our favour with ability to back up matches every 4-5 days through fitness and ability to rest and rotate players across all lines.

3. Our contest work is a real strength and much better than last season. Defensively we are holding up well and despite some poor discipline re being switched on we are keeping teams to a low score.

4. Our ball use can be addressed through our team playing together more, playing more than two matches in a row  tweaking game style and bringing in better ball users, e.g. Harley Bennell and Nathan Jones.

5. Goodwin's management style is very much process based, we saw this in 2018 where once we got going we were the most dominant team for decent parts of the season.

The next 4-5 weeks will tell us alot. I'm confident we can turn things around and be at 6-4 heading into the last 7 rounds.

I'll be re-reading this post at 8.30pm on Saturday.

It'll either be hilarious or a pile onto Chookrat( whom I admire greatly and more strength to you mate)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chookrat said:

We're paying $81 which I wouldn't mind dropping a cheeky $100. Just not sure I'm willing to sign up to a gambling app.

I agree these are attractive odds. Unfortunately this outcome also relies that our game plan "brand"will do the winning despite a footy department that has been unable to institute our "brand"in a year and a half. We can not rely on our coach out coaching anybody for a win. We have earned the long odds. They are long odds for a reason, to pull in suckers. Attractive odds like getting 3 to 1 for a Trump win in a two horse race sound like good odds too. The reality is that Trump is not going to win either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Theres glass half full and theres glass overflowing, i never thought i'd encounter such a demonlander but here we are. 

I love the optimism i really do, and as a fellow optimist myself i would love to predict the exact same.

However, to quote goody of 2017, "let's just take it one week at a time."

the game against gold coast will be very telling of whether we have improved our structure forward of centre. 

if the same issues remain, I'm not sure i can see us getting there but fair play to you for the prediction.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chookrat said:

I reckon we are in good shape for a tilt at the flag this year and here are my reasons;

1. Eight matches into round 5 we are sitting at 1-3. Improve our composure in forward half and we are likely to find ourselves at 3-3 by the end of round 6.

2. Our list is fit, with no injuries to our best 33 players. The expected compressed fixture will work in our favour with ability to back up matches every 4-5 days through fitness and ability to rest and rotate players across all lines.

3. Our contest work is a real strength and much better than last season. Defensively we are holding up well and despite some poor discipline re being switched on we are keeping teams to a low score.

4. Our ball use can be addressed through our team playing together more, playing more than two matches in a row  tweaking game style and bringing in better ball users, e.g. Harley Bennell and Nathan Jones.

5. Goodwin's management style is very much process based, we saw this in 2018 where once we got going we were the most dominant team for decent parts of the season.

The next 4-5 weeks will tell us alot. I'm confident we can turn things around and be at 6-4 heading into the last 7 rounds.

You're in one of Dan Andrews highrise lockups aren't you?

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Onward and upward!

tenor.gif?itemid=10694215

How very Melbourne like, make the GF in a compromised season and it’s played at the MCG with no fans. 

More like it’s played at Olympic stadium while Victorians are in lockdown. Gawn and Oliver do their knees in the first 5 minutes. We lose by 1 point. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jaded said:

More like it’s played at Olympic stadium while Victorians are in lockdown. Gawn and Oliver do their knees in the first 5 minutes. We lose by 1 point. 

To a dubious free and 50, after the siren

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

We're statistically the worst converting team in history (since stats were kept). Unless our forwardline and midfield do a complete 180 form-wise, there's no chance of us winning the flag this year. It's getting to the stage where we'd basically need to win 8-9 matches in a row, something we couldn't even do when in ripping form in the 2nd half of 2018. That's not to say we don't have the building blocks to win within a few years, but it's not going to happen this year. 

we are actually in a good place if our only issue is conversion. I think our skills is less a talent issue and more a synergy issue. the team doesn't seem to be clicking right now. if we "click" then I think we are top 4 potential based on our contest winning capacity around the ground. I know conversion isn't an easy fix though. And I think we're as close to top 4 as we are to bottom 4. I can't see a middle ground.

Edited by praha
  • Like 2

You’ve convinced me Chook! Demons for the flag all up Daniel Andrews for PM!  I’ll have the only ticket in Australia!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With all teams except Melbourne and Essendon playing 6 rounds we find ourselves 1 win and 8 - 12 goal margin out of the top 8. We have played 3 teams in the 8, as well as 9th and 11th placed including narrow losses to Geelong (3 points) and poor losses to WCE and Richmond (27 points).

This weekend against GCS we were more composed in our forward half in what Wasa tight match that we held ascendency for the majority of the game against a plucky GCS. While there is plenty of work to do if we can show linear improvement in our ball movement over the next few weeks we will be in good form.

We face Hawthorn this week and as long as we bring our contested brand and move the ball well then we should get the win. Dees!

2 hours ago, chookrat said:

With all teams except Melbourne and Essendon playing 6 rounds we find ourselves 1 win and 8 - 12 goal margin out of the top 8. We have played 3 teams in the 8, as well as 9th and 11th placed including narrow losses to Geelong (3 points) and poor losses to WCE and Richmond (27 points).

This weekend against GCS we were more composed in our forward half in what Wasa tight match that we held ascendency for the majority of the game against a plucky GCS. While there is plenty of work to do if we can show linear improvement in our ball movement over the next few weeks we will be in good form.

We face Hawthorn this week and as long as we bring our contested brand and move the ball well then we should get the win. Dees!

I'm on board.

Defeat the Hawks and we are in a very good position.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

To borrow a line off legendary NFL coach Jim Mora:

"I'd just be happy to win a game"

I can confirm Jim's happy with the weekend.

Since the re-start, we're 2-2 with a percentage of 95% and a close loss to a very good side in Geelong. If we beat Hawthorn we'll be in the positive since the re-start with a percentage over 100 likely. Not too bad at all as long as we get the 'W' this week.

But we ain't winning a flag this year. Nor do I really want to given that a bunch of rubgy league fans will fill out ANZ stadium while we're probably in stage 5 lock down.