Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Gary Pert

Soidee

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

As far as I've heard, the problem isn't Pert.

Mahoney was being groomed for the CEO role and then didn't get it. He should have moved on at the time. Jackson was the one preparing Mahoney for that role but Bartlett decided to take a bit more control and make some decisions. I haven't heard anything negative about Pert, doesn't mean it's not there of course, but I've been hearing plenty of noise about Mahoney and Bartlett.

My opinion is that things weren't setup well enough when both PJ and Roos left (at different times) and we really needed PJ for longer. Seems like the culture has gone back to how it was previously already. Cliques and friction.

If that is the case, and i'm not saying it is, be prepared for more decades in the wilderness.  If nothing changes (ie., back to the way it was or similar)....nothing will change.

10 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

If that is the case, and i'm not saying it is, be prepared for more decades in the wilderness.  If nothing changes (ie., back to the way it was or similar)....nothing will change.

Only rumour of course, but a big part of that will apparently be gone at the end of the year.

24 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

And it's a MASSIVE if.  There is zero indication that the culture has 'regressed' or that there are cliques and friction at the club.  On field we need to lift our game, but it seems like we're still headed in the right direction off the field.

Bit of a disappointing thread really, although supporters have sunk the boots into everyone else so I guess it's just Pert's turn.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

And it's a MASSIVE if.  There is zero indication that the culture has 'regressed' or that there are cliques and friction at the club.  On field we need to lift our game, but it seems like we're still headed in the right direction off the field.

Bit of a disappointing thread really, although supporters have sunk the boots into everyone else so I guess it's just Pert's turn.

Club has stagnated since PJ left

Results don’t lie. They are all that really matter

• Like 1

The Club & FD has 17 rounds ahead to right the ship.  As SW has said the results on the ground will speak for themselves.....as will the membership and sponsorship outlook going in to 2021.  At the end of the day money (or lack thereof) will always cut through and clarify people's minds and attitudes as to whether the outcome is good, not so good or potentially horrific.

5 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

As far as I've heard, the problem isn't Pert.

Mahoney was being groomed for the CEO role and then didn't get it. He should have moved on at the time. Jackson was the one preparing Mahoney for that role but Bartlett decided to take a bit more control and make some decisions. I haven't heard anything negative about Pert, doesn't mean it's not there of course, but I've been hearing plenty of noise about Mahoney and Bartlett.

My opinion is that things weren't setup well enough when both PJ and Roos left (at different times) and we really needed PJ for longer. Seems like the culture has gone back to how it was previously already. Cliques and friction.

Is the insinuation here that there's friction between Mahoney and Barlett or that people aren't happy with them individually?

6 hours ago, Soidee said:

CEO so far a shadow of Peter Jackson.  2 years under Perts charge the club has stalled.  Could of done with Jackson’s smart leadership during this latest crisis.  Jackson inspired me as a supporter.  Pert is corporate speak but little else.

You have heard Pert over the last two weeks?

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Anyone else at the club we haven't taken a pot at yet or have we gone full circle and are now back at the CEO ? 

I noticed Viney slipped over a couple of times against the Cats. My question is who is the boot-studder and why has he been able to get away with this rubbish for so long??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

The Club & FD has 17 rounds ahead to right the ship.  As SW has said the results on the ground will speak for themselves.....as will the membership and sponsorship outlook going in to 2021.  At the end of the day money (or lack thereof) will always cut through and clarify people's minds and attitudes as to whether the outcome is good, not so good or potentially horrific.

Rusty you can take this as rumour if you like and it is admittedly third hand but I spoke to someone yesterday who tells me he has it from very good authority that a not insignificant part of the  playing group are far from happy with the FD this year. The main gripe is that they are being played out of position and it is killing their careers. A number are being encouraged by their families and managers to look at their options by years end. One good player is of the opinion he wont be at the Dees in 2021 if Goodwin is still there.

This business that the players love Goodwin is hogwash. Now I am not saying it is all the group but a sizable number by all accounts.

This source has never given me a bum steer in the past and does not come up with a constant stream but they have been correct a lot in the past. I cannot say who the players are as I was not told. Take it or leave it for whatever you think.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

I believe it is not as rosy in the playing group as you think Wiseblood.

• Like 1

Just now, old dee said:

Not at all suprised at this statement OD

The “problems” have gone on too long unchanged. 
A well run FD would have sorted problems out within weeks of identification 

3 hours ago, Demonland said:

In our interview with Bartlett I was surprised to learn that Pert was pulling the strings in 2018 from midway through the year whilst PJ was still employed at the club. I found that odd and probably should have ask to expand on that but didn't sink in until my later listen. I have no idea if that is normal practice and am happy to be corrected.

From my question (27 minutes into the actual interview):

Q: There’s a growing frustration among some supporters who believe that we’ve gone backwards since PJ and Roosy left, or that our progress has stalled. What’s your response to that, is it a fair assessment?  

A: Perty, I think it's disrespectful to our CEO, who really took over mid 2018, so he's appointed in June 2018, and ALL major decisions from that day, and at really Peter's direction and agreement, were run though Perty from middle of 2018. 

The fact he refers to him as Perty worries me. sounds old boys club to me!

The simple facts are we have gone backwards on the field we all see the scores and last year without the virus we lost $1.5 million.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Rusty you can take this as rumour if you like and it is admittedly third hand but I spoke to someone yesterday who tells me he has it from very good authority that a not insignificant part of the  playing group are far from happy with the FD this year. The main gripe is that they are being played out of position and it is killing their careers. A number are being encouraged by their families and managers to look at their options by years end. One good player is of the opinion he wont be at the Dees in 2021 if Goodwin is still there.

This business that the players love Goodwin is hogwash. Now I am not saying it is all the group but a sizable number by all accounts.

This source has never given me a bum steer in the past and does not come up with a constant stream but they have been correct a lot in the past. I cannot say who the players are as I was not told. Take it or leave it for whatever you think.

Not the tail might wagging the dog syndrome again OD.  Haven't we been there before?  One can only hope this isn't the case but boy, the numbers on some of these guys are very damn ordinary even compared to last season's mess.

I have no doubt SG is a very nice chap but can he coach / drive a team to success and does he have the edge needed to carry his message across and put a bit of fear / respect into this lot?  Pure speculation but that's just the impression one gets looking in from the outside.

29 minutes ago, A F said:

Is the insinuation here that there's friction between Mahoney and Barlett or that people aren't happy with them individually?

Not sure about between Mahoney and Bartlett, haven't heard anything directly about that. I've had two different people who don't know each other (but both would have a good idea about inside the club), tell me similar things about Mahoney and Goody having a bit of a "clique" which has caused some friction with others involved in the club.

One of those people mentioned a fair way back that Bartlett would be the type to seek the limelight and control a bit, and given the evolving story about PJ's exit, his chosen successor (Mahoney) being overlooked and Pert being fairly quiet; it does seem like that from the outside.

I think these things can a bit more grey than we take them though. Personally I've felt Mahoney has done a good job with most trades, especially early on with working the points system, but the coaching side has been rocky to put it lightly and that also falls on Mahoney as the football boss. We've lost some high quality people already and a few more currently involved in the club aren't very happy with the internal workings.

I've been told Mahoney will likely leave end of year, but given the type of year it is and how early it is I wouldn't put your house on it. I reckon he should have moved on when he didn't end up getting the CEO job, I don't know how that is possibly a great environment now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Not the tail might wagging the dog syndrome again OD.  Haven't we been there before?  One can only hope this isn't the case but boy, the numbers on some of these guys are very damn ordinary even compared to last season's mess.

I have no doubt SG is a very nice chap but can he coach / drive a team to success and does he have the edge needed to carry his message across and put a bit of fear / respect into this lot?  Pure speculation but that's just the impression one gets looking in from the outside.

This just my feeling no one else but I just don't think we have a team with the skill set to match his game plan. So he is shifting players around to try and compensate and all that has happened is we have got worse.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, old dee said:

This just my feeling no one else but I just don't think we have a team with the skill set to match his game plan. So he is shifting players around to try and compensate and all that has happened is we have got worse.

The irony is Goodwin has had 4-5 trade/draft periods to build a list to suit his game plan.  Inexplicable that we seem so far away.

It reminds me of a comment Lyon made at Fremantle:  something like "we are a blue-collar team" and that is how we play.  Not saying we are a blue collar team more that coaches build the game plan to maximises the strengths of the team they have, at least in the short term and not try and make the players something they are not.

Our team isn't changing in a hurry so hope the coach can build a game plan very quickly that better suits the list he has; a list that is fit and uninjured. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The irony is Goodwin has had 4-5 trade/draft periods to build a list to suit his game plan.  Inexplicable that we seem so far away.

It reminds me of a comment Lyon made at Fremantle:  something like "we are a blue-collar team" and that is how we play.  Not saying we are a blue collar team more that coaches build the game plan to maximises the strengths of the team they have, at least in the short term and not try and make the players something they are not.

Our team isn't changing in a hurry so hope the coach can build a game plan very quickly that better suits the list he has; a list that is fit and uninjured. 

So far he has no injury excuse like last year. I actually think we are playing worse than last year with  all the "good" players available.

• Like 3

This is purely personal but I am not a fan of silent Chairman and or CEO and we have both.

I then have the feeling that when nothing is said it implies either no one knows what to do or they are doing  nothing.

Both of which way be incorrect but it leaves IMO supporters wondering what is going on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

And how do you know that?  Got any hard evidence?

This is not directed at you OD, so please don't think it is, but all these insinuations and assumptions that get thrown around on here are disappointing.  This site deserves better.  People come on here with the 'well I heard this' or the 'I heard that' and then when enough people get hold of them supporters end up believing it.  It just shouldn't happen.  Too many people can't back anything up, other than they 'heard' something.  Well, you know what?  Great.  They should keep the [censored] measuring to themselves.

From where I sit, there is no evidence whatsoever of cliques or factions or whatever else.  It's just hearsay and unless someone can back it up with evidence it should be deleted.

Now, if you want to talk about our on field efforts then fine - it's been well below par and things need to change drastically.  We have the evidence of that right now.  Our on field results and output for the last 18 months has been terrible and we know we are capable of better.

However, claiming that there are issues off field when there is no evidence at all of this occurring is poor form.  As far as we can see, Bartlett and Pert are actually doing a decent job through all of this to keep the sponsorship coming in and finding ways to raise the cash to ensure that we don't have to go to the AFL for handouts, and thus we are able to continue to invest in a variety of off field things that we need to.  

As I said, this is not meant to be directed at you OD, but pedalling off field problems without any evidence is not something this site should be condoning, as Andy has pointed out a few times already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, old dee said:

This is purely personal but I am not a fan of silent Chairman and or CEO and we have both.

I then have the feeling that when nothing is said it implies either no one knows what to do or they are doing  nothing.

Both of which way be incorrect but it leaves IMO supporters wondering what is going on.

Until they come out and say more and you want them to get their heads out of the media.  Can't have your cake and eat it too.

As far as I'm concerned I just want them to run the club well - keep the finances in check, keep the memberships and sponsorships up and keep the problems to a minimum.  Outside of on field performance I think they're doing pretty well.

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

And how do you know that?  Got any hard evidence?

This is not directed at you OD, so please don't think it is, but all these insinuations and assumptions that get thrown around on here are disappointing.  This site deserves better.  People come on here with the 'well I heard this' or the 'I heard that' and then when enough people get hold of them supporters end up believing it.  It just shouldn't happen.  Too many people can't back anything up, other than they 'heard' something.  Well, you know what?  Great.  They should keep the [censored] measuring to themselves.

From where I sit, there is no evidence whatsoever of cliques or factions or whatever else.  It's just hearsay and unless someone can back it up with evidence it should be deleted.

Now, if you want to talk about our on field efforts then fine - it's been well below par and things need to change drastically.  We have the evidence of that right now.  Our on field results and output for the last 18 months has been terrible and we know we are capable of better.

However, claiming that there are issues off field when there is no evidence at all of this occurring is poor form.  As far as we can see, Bartlett and Pert are actually doing a decent job through all of this to keep the sponsorship coming in and finding ways to raise the cash to ensure that we don't have to go to the AFL for handouts, and thus we are able to continue to invest in a variety of off field things that we need to.  

As I said, this is not meant to be directed at you OD, but pedalling off field problems without any evidence is not something this site should be condoning, as Andy has pointed out a few times already.

So basically, everyone should just shut up because people other than you may be privy to information, and because 'from where you sit' there's no problem then that means there must be no problem.

Got it.

We live in a relatively small city, the same city where our team is based. If you find it so staggeringly unbelievable that people who barrack for the same footy team and people who are involved in that team don't talk to each other about that team then that's up to you.

This thinly veiled swipe at me is easily solved with the ignore function, but I can absolutely say I don't make things up and my track record now is decent enough to not cop you asking for things to be deleted because you don't like them.

• Thanks 2