• Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

• Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

Jack Viney Restricted Free Agent

JMDemon

11 minutes ago, old dee said:

But we currently have nothing to offer as we gave away our first pick for this year and it might go we give up a mid for a first round pick which is on traded for a KPF. Yes I know it is not liable to happen but we need another KPF and to get one you usually have to give something be it a player and or a draft pick. So would you trade a mid for a KPF? 

We don't need another KPF. We have TMac, Weid, Petty, Jackson and even Bradtke developing.  And we have Brown as depth.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

We don't need another KPF. We have TMac, Weid, Petty, Jackson and even Bradtke developing.  And we have Brown as depth.

With the exception of the Weid last night the rest have been next to useless and Jackson is 2 -3 years away from being a good senior player. As for Bradtke he will be cut at the end of the year with a lower list number. Petty is injured and won’t play this year and IMO is an average player who may well be a better back than forward. 

Edited by old dee

10 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I love JV but trading Harmes or Gus is not the answer, this is an area of the field we have A grade depth you don't trade that away, with a couple injuries we will be in trouble 

how are we gonna get a good key forward/wingman if we have no draft picks... we've traded them all away 

50 minutes ago, Elegt said:

how are we gonna get a good key forward/wingman if we have no draft picks... we've traded them all away 

The current leader of the Coleman Medal, Brody Mihocek, was a late pick in the draft.

It's just one example I know, but having a high draft pick doesn't always equate to either drafting a gun forward or trading for one.  Plus with free agency you can go 'shopping' for one without needing the picks.

If the club feel the need to add another tall forward to the mix come seasons end, then I'm pretty sure we can do that without a first round draft pick.  We might just need to be a little creative or take a punt on someone late in the draft.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As much as Jack frustrates me with some of his decision making which usually results in turning the ball over, his aggression for the contest is unquestionable (we need plenty more of it). I don't really see a high draft pick as a big deal, better to keep Viney and help him fix the one real chink in his armour. Geelong seem to end up with gun players nobody had ever heard of, and they continuously do it year after year after year, and they make the finals year, after year, after year... They appear to have a huge focus on developing young local talent and don't seem too worried about draft picks. Can't really argue with results.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Spit Demon said:

As much as Jack frustrates me with some of his decision making which usually results in turning the ball over, his aggression for the contest is unquestionable (we need plenty more of it). I don't really see a high draft pick as a big deal, better to keep Viney and help him fix the one real chink in his armour. Geelong seem to end up with gun players nobody had ever heard of, and they continuously do it year after year after year, and they make the finals year, after year, after year... They appear to have a huge focus on developing young local talent and don't seem too worried about draft picks. Can't really argue with results.

Geelong are incredible. They havent had a top ten draft pick in 15 years (maybe one number 10?) and  still effectively sit as premiership favourites. What's in the water down there. 

Viney has had 6+ years to repair his chinks. Unless he moves to a tagger role or a pressure forward, we are going to see turnovers.   

If he goes, id prefer a player swap.  Our recruitment of players is probably above average.  May, hibberd, langdon.  Our development program is probably below average.  

I believe it is a matter of what would we look like without him and how easy to replace him.

Could others get the ball he gets?  Yes, mostly as he often gets other players ball instead of making position.

Could a replacement be more team oriented? Yes.

Will we miss his competitive spirit?  Much tougher question and it is a yes and no as he has  rarely   lifted us to  a win like other star mids.

Will others shine in his absence?  Very likely

So for me it comes down to, what are you offering?

Aren’t Jack and Ollie Wines very close mates?

Would think that would be the reason he would go to PA, rather than Wines leaving.

I’d prefer a player swap if this was to go ahead, they have a few lively flankers we could do with

23 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

So for me it comes down to, what are you offering?

He's an RFA, we'd most likely get band 2 compensation (end of 1st round pick) - in a highly compromised draft.

I know he's got his limitations, but the simple fact is that he's among our top half-dozen players, no point pretending otherwise. He rarely plays a bad game and is one of the few players on our list who lifts when the going gets tough.

I can't see how Viney leaving improves our side.

Without taking Moonshadow's post as gospel it's not that hard to envisage Jack not being happy this year. After the year we've had in addition to last year, I think we are at high risk of losing some players we may want to keep. Brayshaw to Fremantle is one I've regularly seen pop up over the internet that I've been dismissing as bs. However, after being played on the wing for the majority of the season and seemingly spending more time on the bench than in the middle in some games, it's not hard to see him wanting to move as well.  We hold the whip here with two years to go on his contract, but he hasn't exactly had the form that would see us demand a first rounder for him. 

Goodwin will have a lot to answer for if he has convinced the board and coterie members that we have the list to challenge for a flag only to miss finals and then lose two starting 18 midfielders with 100 odd + games experience. Has the potential to be devastating for our club.

Or, if we are smart.... this could be our moment to revitalise our list like Port did circa 2017, losing Wingard and bringing in Rozee, Duursma and Butters as well as Burton through trade. Although I can't say I have much faith in what is happening at the club at the moment for us to pull something like this off, particularly in this compromised draft.

Question for anyone that knows, if Jack happened to receive and leave on an offer worthy of band 1 compensation (after our first pick), does it matter that we've traded it out to North or will it slot behind that pick?

I'm confused about all this Viney trade talk.. can someone enlighten me on where it has come from?

The bloke basically grew out of the side of the building and bleeds red and blue. He's vice captain.. does anyone really think he'd go? I just can't believe it.

And from the perspective of the football department. He is again VC, he's one of the first picked each week.. why would they trade him?

The whole thing has me berfuddled.. Don't get it.

6 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

I'm confused about all this Viney trade talk.. can someone enlighten me on where it has come from?

The bloke basically grew out of the side of the building and bleeds red and blue. He's vice captain.. does anyone really think he'd go? I just can't believe it.

And from the perspective of the football department. He is again VC, he's one of the first picked each week.. why would they trade him?

I doubt they want to trade him but he may want to leave 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

Success, money and a fresh change of scenery changes all that.

He's been there 7 years and has played finals once and is about to miss out again. Will be 27 next year and Port looking much closer to a flag then the Dees.

I absolutely get why he wants to leave. Just because he grew up a red and blue doesn't mean he will be tired to the club for the rest of his career.

Pretty simple really..