Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Gold Coast

A midfield of Harmes, Petracca and Brayshaw.  Jack Viney locking down the resting midfielder or first rotation.  Oliver playing forward.  Salem off half forward to deliver into 50.  TMac, Brown/Weid Fritter, Kozzie, Oliver and Hannan inside 50.  May, Lever, Omac, Rivers, Hibbard, Jetta.  Gawn in the ruck.  Langers and Tommo on the wings.

Gotta win the contests forward of the ball (Goodwin).  No more rope a dope from a flood back and keeping s off.  It means hard pressure in out front half - which was a hallmark of 2018 and completely missing now.  This will rely on better skills, but also the forward half of the ground has to be defended hard - we have rarely seen that this year (or last).  It just gets clogged up with flooding (the way to beat MFC) and they run it out, without us chasing adequately.

Bennell on the bench with Viney, Melksham (rotating through HF and the centre to get back into the game) and perhaps ANB/Lockhart

Have to review Suns outfit first. (Assume Rowell is out). 

Defenders- Collins. Almost best FB in the league.  Harbrow. Great rebounder and user of the footy. Hanley
Mids- Greenwood, Holman, Miller and Swallow. Workers. Tough contested footy. Weller, Ellis, Anderson. Runners. 
Forwards- Talls. Day & King.  Smalls.  Bowes, Sexton & Ainsworth. 

so planning. Get another tall defender.  Can’t have Lever and Smith.  Need another tall forward. 

Defenders. 
Jetta. Omcd. Lever. Salem. May. Hibberd. 
Jetta in for Lockhart. Omcd in for Smith. if petty was fit, I’d play him FB. Lever play 3rd def & intercepts to help combat talls. Rivers shown good skills and run so keep in but start on the bench  

Mids. Need tough contested footy.  Whilst horrible for a few weeks, keep Oliver and Viney. Harmes stays in. Tomlinson to bench and rotate role.  Inside- Petracca. Viney. Oliver  outside - Brayshaw  Langdon. Harmes in rotation  

Ruck - Gawn (you bloody champion) 

Forwards. Balance needed. 2 talls. 3 opportunitists. One pressure small. Need to BRING IN WEID OR BROWN (and for 5-6 weeks). Keep Pickett. Melksham to play on Harbrow. Melksham on notice. Needs to show some dash & pressure. Sort through excess of mid sized half forwards. Bring in Bennell for skill and goalkicking. Out goes Hunt and Vandenburg. Didn’t do enough in last 2 weeks. 

Ins. Jetta. Omcd. Bennell. Brown/Weideman 

outs. Vdberg. Hunt. Smith. Lockhart. 

Bk- Jetta. Omcd. Lever. Salem. May. Hibberd. 

Mids - Langdon. Viney. Brayshaw.
Gawn Petracca  Oliver  

Fwd  - Hannan. Tmcd  Melksham   Pickett  Brown/Weideman. Fritsch  

int  Rivers  Harmes Tomlinson Bennell 

• Like 2

I think we're overweight defenders at the moment, with Harmes running through there I count 8, where I think we need the back 6 plus a mid dropping back, such as Harmes. I'd move Salem into a mid/wing role, plus have him drop back if needed, along with Harmes. 

But my back 6 would be FB: Smith, OMac, Lever HB: Hibber, May, Rivers. Then have both Salem and Harmes drop back when required, but play more mid/wing. I'm giving Smith another go because I actually think he's done pretty well in the last 2 weeks, when he is given a specific role. He kept Danger/Ablett pretty quiet when assigned to them and did alright on Dusty/Riewolt when playing directly on them, he'll still got work to do - giving away silly free kicks etc. but put him on Sexton this week.

I don't think we can carry AVB unless he's right to run through the middle as well, but we're stacked at the moment for slowish brute ball winners/tacklers. He's also not skilled enough to deliver reliably into the Fwd50. We also need another tall. Melksham needs to move higher up the ground to get involved more, deep forward only works in short bursts when he sees a mismatch. 

Out: Lockart, AVB, Hunt

In: OMac, Bennell and Weid 

Goodwin career saving rejig is:

- Hunt & TMac to backline

- Salem & Melk to wing (best inside 50 kicks)

- Bennell and Weed to Forward line

- Langdon and Tomlinson omitted

(Also Viney is not allowed to kick inside 50 anymore.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pitchy said:

Goodwin career saving rejig is:

- Hunt & TMac to backline

- Salem & Melk to wing (best inside 50 kicks)

- Bennell and Weed to Forward line

- Langdon and Tomlinson omitted

(Also Viney is not allowed to kick inside 50 anymore.)

I remember Hunt was talked about as one of the best up and coming young half backs in the game. It's either defence or flop for Hunt.

If we do not see changes, positional and playing style this week then we know we have recruited a yes man in Richardson who goes with the status quo. Lets hope he makes himself unpopular with Goody this week and we see some changes.  If not things are even worse with our coaching contractual obligations than many of us thought.

• Like 1

After thinking about this since the weekend I really feel the FD should do the following:

1. Bring in Weid as full forward/second ruck for Vandenberg who has been pretty much unsighted in 2 games. Please Goody it's now or never for him. I prefer Weid as I think he is more suited to a pack crashing role than Brown who is more a 2nd/3rd tall.

2. Drop Hunt for Bennell. No brainer

3. Rivers out for Jetta. I love what the future may hold for Rivers but he is stuggling a bit at the moment and we need Jetta's experience back.

4. Drop Smith for Omac. Oscar to stand Ben King and May to stand Sam Day. Allows Lever to be the third tall interceptor.

B:      Jetta                O McDonald               Hibberd

HB:   Lever                May                             Salem

?     Langdon         Viney                          Tomlinson

HF:     Hannan           T McDonald             Bennell

F:        Pickett            Weideman                Melksham

R:       Gawn              Harmes                        Petracca

Int:     Brayshaw      Lockhart                Fritsch            Oliver

Viney - please play within your capabilities and look for smart options.

Oliver - please stop hand-balling to players in a worse position.

Petracca - please keep doing what you're doing.

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I remember Hunt was talked about as one of the best up and coming young half backs in the game. It's either defence or flop for Hunt.

He's also been talked up on Demonland as a capable forward.

In both instances, he has weeks where he looks good and weeks where he goes completely missing.

His main issue is consistency and I don't think it matters whether it's back or forward. Personally, if we've spent the past two years working on him as a forward, he should stay a forward, but should only be playing AFL if he's capable of contributing on a weekly basis (same goes for everyone else of course, including Melksham).

• Like 2

On 7/5/2020 at 7:13 PM, Jaded said:

If the 132 coaches we have can’t between them put a brain cell together and bring in a second tall forward, I give up. 

And anyone who can justify the position of Melksham or Lockhart or Smith ahead of Jones, Jetta or OMac, I would love your explanation. 

There is a lack of coaching communication, networking and collective think-tanks apparent; the coaches just do not seem to be together on strategies for game day, nor skills transfers for the players to articulate onfield in offensive, defensive and general plays. 

As  for the selections, these have been hasty. Melksham needs some coaching cautions - his game has fully dropped away - where his appetite for gloriously kicking every goal dominates the benefits that as a team-player, he could otherwise bring to the fore, for all. He moves well, takes possession well but seldom lines up for a straight kick at goal and certainly, is the last player on the field to think or execute some form of football translation to a teammate in a 'better position' or one who is more likely to score in a particular circumstance. 

Lockhart at least had a big time run -  gaining experience and attempting to play at that level - albeit not as well as desired but certainly, with considerable effort across the game. 

Smith beat Jack. Jack only had one goal despite looking very threatening as the Richmond pill went forward. Happy with Smith's efforts in strange territory but I wish that the coaches/selectors saw him for what he is: Smith is a forward - a good one, too - capable of much and yet Goodwin seldom gives him opportunities to put into practice those skills no matter how desperate the whole team is for a mobile forward with his attacking attributes.

Jetta is needed, run and carry, bravely clear the deep defensive area and take on all comers. His disposal is usually controlled and reliable - and considered. His experience is legendary.

OMac in the side would be a large step backwards. As he doesn't get to contests, his height is no advantage to the defensive line, particularly for marking and/or clearing in the danger zones. His support for May and Lever would be negligible as it would be some 30 meters from where the action might be. He is a lovely kick when he gets a free - or gets away from an opponent; however, the rarity of this opportunity largely counts for very little. 

Jones, in a sunset phase, still has much to offer in all parts of the ground. Used with judicious application from the bench, no-one clears the heavy going quite as well. He has terrific, tight mobility and very good burst-runs to space. He also appears to be conscious of the 'bomb' for which he was a key culprit - most kicks now characterise some careful passing criteria and, in front of goal or near goals, he can be lethal, these days. Surely it is acceptable for him to be afforded occasional 'rests' back to the bench to stoke the reserves for the next flurry?

B. Jetta  May  Lever

HB. Rivers Omac Hibberd

C. Langdon Harmes Tomo

HF. Oliver Weid  Fritsch

F. Pickett Tmac Hannan

R. Gawn, Brayshaw, Trac

I/C. Bennell, Salem, Viney, Jones

Out. Smith, Hunt, Melksham, AVB, Lockhart

Pickett is only playing for forward pressure needs to do the simple things instead of trying to create highlights 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

B. Jetta  May  Lever

HB. Rivers Omac Hibberd

C. Langdon Harmes Tomo

HF. Oliver Weid  Fritsch

F. Pickett Tmac Hannan

R. Gawn, Brayshaw, Trac

I/C. Bennell, Salem, Viney, Jones

Out. Smith, Hunt, Melksham, AVB, Lockhart

Pickett is only playing for forward pressure needs to do the simple things instead of trying to create highlights 

Looks about right to me 'Pennant' but this would have to be Tommy's final chance.

If we get more of the same then he can stay on the beach at Manly and let Jackson and Brown take over in the pecking order.

Weid also needs a good run at it to settle, if he had 18 months like Tom he could be a reasonable player now.

Pickett is the only one providing real forward pressure so of course has to stay.

I would like to see him settle and take his shots better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

"Bennell, Weideman among standouts at practice"

says the MFC site.

Why the childish signalling - "we hear you, supporter and look, we're listening and making changes"

Just win.

source?

EDIT: have seen the report now

FFS if we don't bring in these two there is no hope

it will sum up how dumb Goodwin is if we don't 

Edited by MF-C

If Bennell doesn’t get picked based on the below this week then Goody can pack his bags. 
Weid should be picked too  

Of course, most Demons supporters want to hear how Harley Bennell is tracking, and Egan said he was impressed with the 27-year-old’s outing.

“He had really good balance in his game – offence and defence,” he said.

“He used the ball really well which he always does, and I think he finished with close to 35 possessions, so he was obviously around the ball a lot.

“He’s really calm and composed, and always makes the right choice. It was a really classy performance from him.”

• Love 1

3 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

This site would probably crash if "no changes" are announced again. 

If that is the case then Goody truely has NFI. 

bennell-and-jones-in-frame-for-demons

Can't really see the case for Jones coming in.  He has played one AFL game this year vs Carlton and was as slow as treacle.  Didn't play in last week's scratch match because of general soreness.  Seems very underdone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Spargo likely to miss with a rolled ankle - Old Dee will be devastated 

I am mate but I have a question why was he taken to Sydney if injured?  Surely you take uninjured players 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

bennell-and-jones-in-frame-for-demons

Can't really see the case for Jones coming in.  He has played one AFL game this year vs Carlton and was as slow as treacle.  Didn't play in last week's scratch match because of general soreness.  Seems very underdone. 

Well then he will get picked for sure.

• Haha 1

Fox Sports have had a crack at team selection in this article -

AFL Round 6 Team Tips: Tigers scramble to replace SIX stars, Nat Fyfe set for mind-blowing return

B: Joel Smith, Steven May, Michael Hibberd

HB: James Harmes, Jake Lever, Christian Salem

C: Ed Langdon, Clayton Oliver, Adam Tomlinson

HF: Mitch Hannan, Tom McDonald, Angus Brayshaw

F: Christian Petracca, Sam Weideman, Bayley Fritsch

FOLL: Max Gawn, Jake Melksham, Jack Viney

I/C: Harley Bennell, Trent Rivers, Kysaiah Pickett, Neville Jetta

4 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Fox Sports have had a crack at team selection in this article -

AFL Round 6 Team Tips: Tigers scramble to replace SIX stars, Nat Fyfe set for mind-blowing return

B: Joel Smith, Steven May, Michael Hibberd

HB: James Harmes, Jake Lever, Christian Salem

? Ed Langdon, Clayton Oliver, Adam Tomlinson

HF: Mitch Hannan, Tom McDonald, Angus Brayshaw

F: Christian Petracca, Sam Weideman, Bayley Fritsch

FOLL: Max Gawn, Jake Melksham, Jack Viney

I/C: Harley Bennell, Trent Rivers, Kysaiah Pickett, Neville Jetta

Based upon what is on our list, this seems to be the best possible selection.