Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Closer to the end

London Demon

It's times like these when I envy Fitzroy supporting friends. They said farewell to football years ago and are much more relaxed about life.

• Like 2

I put this in the post match thread but seems to be better here. 

Geez it’s difficult supporting this club. They make it so hard to enjoy the footy. I wasn’t even upset or angry at the result because the MFC has conditioned me into expecting the worst and they deliver on most occasions. 

We are so frustrating and yet again another season lost, another season missing the finals, another season watching another team win the premiership and watching more teams go past us. 

Also to top it off this season we are handing over what looks like pic 2 to north. 

It really is frustrating and annoying to see this happen to a club I love and the worst is the nightmare doesn’t seem to be ending  

Sad thing is I don’t know if it will ever change. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Beetle said:

My weekends are so much more enjoyable when I’m not thinking about the MFC.

The COVID19 isolation period was quite peaceful actually. I think I miss it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I went to the Gabba last night and saw the Lions play, what struck me the most is the unity and bond between all the players and that THEY ALL HAVE CLEARLY DEFINED ROLES. Honestly believe we are an equally skilled team but seem to have lost the passion, cohesion and too many players doubting themselves.. that's on Goodwin.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, 3Dee said:

I went to the Gabba last night and saw the Lions play, what struck me the most is the unity and bond between all the players and that THEY ALL HAVE CLEARLY DEFINED ROLES. Honestly believe we are an equally skilled team but seem to have lost the passion, cohesion and too many players doubting themselves.. that's on Goodwin.

They are much more skilful.

Yeah look i am ready to pack it i to be honest. Not just the Dee's, but AFL in general. 

I got howled down on here back in March by the likes drysdale demon for refusing to buy a membership due to financial strain, and my brother battling cancer. We've had to do so many round trips each week to Melbourne from Albury just to see him. Now we are barred from seeing him unfortunately. This is on top of my Mrs losing her job over covid and trying to support a young 7 month old as well.

I eventually bought a membership just to at least have some form of hope but also give back to the club during the difficult time.

A part of me wishes I didn't buy a membership now... I'm beginning to lose interest in the game itself. I have other new hobbies that I'd like to invest more time and money into just to keep me sane.

Bit sad to read all the comments to be honest. I only post on here because we are like one big family. We argue, we laugh, and we all love this club. But it's getting to the point where you do ask we'll we ever see success. I've always been someone to at least have some hope, but even now it's just slowly fading away.

I personally also think footy will never be the same again.. the world itself will not be the same also. It scares me to think where will be in 5 years time.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 11
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, SPC said:

This is a hard thread to read cause I also feel the same.. each time we cycle this way, I get angry, demand change but ultimately accept I am rusted on... 

I have felt over the last 15 months I have lost the connection to the club.. even the social media and other normal excitement doesn’t strike a cord. I’m numb to the MFC and numb to the AFL. Doubt I will follow the Dees post 2020 and the AFL much after that. My dad died of a heart attack and was an extremely passionate supporter- dont want to follow in his footsteps.

Sorry SPC you are right about dying! In fact we all will do that in good or quick time depending upon our age and health.

Wherther you choose to barrack for the Dees Or not will have no bearing when!

So it's your choice to continue or fade away in support for the Club.

One thing appears certain that if and when we make Finals after playing well we find many many supporters Come back on board not necessarily participating in watching or going to games through the downturn 2018 proved that!

Over to you and sorry about your Dad.

Sorry to say but nothing is going to change until we find a home. The wheels clearly fell off in 1965 when, amongst other fateful things that year, we were forced to share our ground with Richmond and then in 1985 were effectively kicked off it. The off-field leaders of our Club have made mistakes year upon year and we are now just gypsies p*ssing in the wind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Yeah look i am ready to pack it i to be honest. Not just the Dee's, but AFL in general. 

I got howled down on here back in March by the likes drysdale demon for refusing to buy a membership due to financial strain, and my brother battling cancer. We've had to do so many round trips each week to Melbourne from Albury just to see him. Now we are barred from seeing him unfortunately. This is on top of my Mrs losing her job over covid and trying to support a young 7 month old as well.

I eventually bought a membership just to at least have some form of hope but also give back to the club during the difficult time.

A part of me wishes I didn't buy a membership now... I'm beginning to lose interest in the game itself. I have other new hobbies that I'd like to invest more time and money into just to keep me sane.

Bit sad to read all the comments to be honest. I only post on here because we are like one big family. We argue, we laugh, and we all love this club. But it's getting to the point where you do ask we'll we ever see success. I've always been someone to at least have some hope, but even now it's just slowly fading away.

I personally also think footy will never be the same again.. the world itself will not be the same also. It scares me to think where will be in 5 years time.

Sounds like there's plenty on your plate Dazzle. Hope all turns out ok for you and your family and I guess it puts supporting this club in to perspective.

I really like this forum too most of the time but it is a waste of valuable time in lots of ways

• Like 1

I hope the club reads this thread and realises what they are doing to several generations of supporters.

I have been pilloried on this site by the pollyannas for holding Goodwin to account but it has been obvious for a long time that he is out of his depth.

The players are deer in the headlight. No f*****ing idea what to do and scared of breaking 'team rules' or making a mistake. There is no instinctivess no running to provide options, continual brain fades of basic footy nous.

There was effort today but the actions show a team that is devoid of ideas about what to do.

Compare with a Brisbane that is playing with passion and a solid Clarkson inspired game plan.

Roos gave us hope but he was really in for the short term cash. Goodwin was a desperate option that he fully supported in order to get out of dodge city as quick as possible.

You have go back to John Northey for the last time we had an experienced coach. Why TF do we keep selecting first timers? Its clear we can't afford to have them learn in the job.

The club is nearly destroyed. Well done chaps.

• Like 4

I used to love watching the footy, even when we were [censored] house with a VFL standard list. I watched for the grind of the rebuild, the new talent coming in and the selling of hope. 

We are now 3 back to back rebounds in with a list with a stronger age demographic than our list which made a prelim in 2018. Right now and the next 3 years is our best chance at a flag and it's clear our FD has no idea what to do with the list to get the best out of them and get results.

The reality is in 14 years we have made the finals 2 times. The 12 years we have missed out we have been completely incompetent and not up to AFL standard frequently in the bottom 4.

The club is weak, we have no home base, no assets, huge amounts of debt and worst of all a team of perennial losers, from the bottom up.

So I say to the MFC, stop with your [censored] campaigns to raise money from your supporters, no one is interested. Stop making excuses for poor performances. Every team is in the same boat this year. I don't want to see this club get any more handouts. Either work your arses off to perform and survive or just [censored] fold. Right now MFC you are so far beyond irrelevant not even your supporters will tune in to watch you play. It's now or never, we finish bottom 4 again, we will be lucky to crack 20k members in 2021.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I have been pilloried on this site by the pollyannas for holding Goodwin to account but it has been obvious for a long time that he is out of his depth.

What disappoints me the most about you, and others like you, is your genuine enjoyment at being "proven right". 

The easier option is to be negative. 17/18 clubs fail to win the flag each year so the odds are in your favour.

Last year in particular, a number of us tried to keep our hopes up. I maintain that being optimistic is much harder to do. So it's always deflating when there are people like you who label the optimists "pollyannas" just for having that hope. 

Now here we are, in a thread where everyone is admitting they're losing hope.

I am too.

As every week goes by that we make the same mistakes and exhibit little to no improvement, I question whether and when it will turn, and whether we'll be able to make something of a list which should be playing better football than it is currently. 

I'm rapidly losing faith in Goodwin, I'm rapidly losing faith in Mahoney, in a number of players who should be "core". It sucks.

But I wish people wouldn't gloat about it when things go poorly.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

We have become irrelevant.

Two examples;

In Fox Footy’s lead into today’s games they had a graphic on where teams would be heading this week - no mention of Dees going to Sydney.

On Barrett’s nine things out of this round, the Tiges game had not one mention of Melbourne.

We are invisible and irrelevant 

And I think the only reason the AFL prop us up is so that they don’t have to program a bye every week

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Hope your brother and your wider family are doing okay mate.

There are more important things in life than footy and I wouldn't begrudge any MFC supporter for dipping in and out when their mental health can/can't handle it. It's important to recognise when it's a good time to step away. The footy club just doesn't give back enough.

I was quite happy for the AFL not to come back this year. I've said a few times recently that maybe it'd be better if the AFL as an industry folded, but I know that if the MFC were playing well, I'd probably think differently.

But as someone who goes every week to see it with my family, COVID has put into perspective what's important in life. My wife is pregnant, I'm spending as much time with my family as possible (non-football time which is great), zooming with friends and realising that there's more to life than disappointment every weekend.

We've ultimately got to look towards the positives as much as possible, and I, like you (it seems), do have many fears for the world, but we have to find positivity where we can and your new hobbies sound like a good direction.

We need more things that bring us together and less that divide. I hope that the MFC can bring us all together again soon, but for now, we're a mile off.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, 3Dee said:

Agree 3 Dee we are lacking any confidence and ability to play with any conviction and style that makes even a reasonable season possible at this moment.

I tried to rationalise during the week fir this result by the thoughts that we ARE NOT in a premiership window. Too many players are not producing under pressure and that includes "stars" like Maxy Clarry Lever May Tommy  Mac Jack V Melk and Gus. We have some future players like Kossie Jacko Rivers Harley Fritschy but they won't develop properly or experience success if our seasoned players continue to get away with their efforts like today continually.

Trac was magnificent  today a Lone Ranger with Fritta and fir a while Hibbo had a purple last half.

That horrible pass from Clarry to Trac Summed it up A disaster of skill and carelessness and just plain football DUMBNESS.

Also the last 2 goals of the game to the Tigers indicated " of the great divide in all our defenders" that exists and why we let goals sieve. The ability is there but no cohesion and training of how to back up your mate take a handpass to get out of trouble. Is it any Wonder Jay Lockhart May not survive this initiation period  down back As Goody etc will lose patience as he tries to link up with his teammates in defending our goals. Rivers will survive as he is of the ability and temperament and class required to withstand our frailties.

The blame is IMO On Goody and the FD. Our stars look past caring at times although seem to try but in truth the efforts are disjointed erratic and each day we play NO ONE knows what we will get in performance.

Our best is not poised neither sustainable or realistic and is punctuated by skill errors in the attempt to msintain the standard.

We need a Hard demanding task master with team ethos to improve each individual AND importantly get a GAME PLAN That reflects our ability in today's modern AFL world.

Bartlett and Petty need to have  a word to Goody and Josh M of the time is now to develop players and the team not necessarily to win a flag but set us up fir success in 2021 and beyond.

After Glen Bartlett's interview last week I thought he was very honest and realistic.But others need to be reminded of the job at hand and urgency!

If any one questions my opinion fine BUT try and name any player on our list that he has improved since 2018 other than TRAC.

Msybe that's why we have slipped so alarmingly in the AFL Club  pecking order.

Any one got Ross Lyons phone no as he is tailor made for our Club despite many people's opinion and perhaps  lack of respect Towards. That's not enough to not
give him the reigns based upon his record at two previous BASKET CASE type Clubs Saints and Freo!

15 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

We have become irrelevant.

Two examples;

In Fox Footy’s lead into today’s games they had a graphic on where teams would be heading this week - no mention of Dees going to Sydney.

On Barrett’s nine things out of this round, the Tiges game had not one mention of Melbourne.

We are invisible and irrelevant 

And I think the only reason the AFL prop us up is so that they don’t have to program a bye every week

Didn't they have a map ?

Ridiculous reason if a bye!! That's a weak pathetic comment with no base or truth and you know it!

18 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Compare with a Brisbane that is playing with passion and a solid Clarkson inspired game plan.

Roos gave us hope but he was really in for the short term cash. Goodwin was a desperate option that he fully supported in order to get out of dodge city as quick as possible.

You have go back to John Northey for the last time we had an experienced coach. Why TF do we keep selecting first timers? Its clear we can't afford to have them learn in the job.

The club is nearly destroyed. Well done chaps.

Hot take: Brisbane don't really play like Clarkson's best teams did at all. They play like Daniher teams. Fagan was a great Melbourne find who then went out with the bath water when Daniher reached the end. 

How did Brisbane end up with Fagan - they first had the AFL give them David Noble, the best administrator in the game. We chased after Roos, sure a good idea, but surely better is to get someone like Noble who will be there for the long haul.

Roos says he'll appoint a senior footy administrator knowing it's importance. Then he and the club decide Mahoney is up to it - based on what? Neil Balme - failed Melbourne coach, successful administrator at 3 other clubs.

Brett Ratten, wow what a great job he did with our mids for a season before Carlton snapped him up, why didn't we store that information away and get him back at any time since? Sean Wellman developed our backline under Bailey. Ran back to Essendon then left footy. 

Peter Jackson - a great hire. Yet there never seemed to be a long term commitment to him and a plan to have him stay or at least develop or pick his successor. Pert, I still feel unwell about.

Some of that's waffling, but the point is we don't seem to ever have any continuity. New board comes in, new CEO, new people in the footy department. Plenty of first time coaches do a great job - it's really hard to get experienced guys back in for another go in their prime. I've got no issue if we think the best man for the job is a first timer. I'm sick of the club being a first timer. There's just no institutional knowledge in the place.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, A F said:

Hope your brother and your wider family are doing okay mate.

There are more important things in life than footy and I wouldn't begrudge any MFC supporter for dipping in and out when their mental health can/can't handle it. It's important to recognise when it's a good time to step away. The footy club just doesn't give back enough.

I was quite happy for the AFL not to come back this year. I've said a few times recently that maybe it'd be better if the AFL as an industry folded, but I know that if the MFC were playing well, I'd probably think differently.

But as someone who goes every week to see it with my family, COVID has put into perspective what's important in life. My wife is pregnant, I'm spending as much time with my family as possible (non-football time which is great), zooming with friends and realising that there's more to life than disappointment every weekend.

We've ultimately got to look towards the positives as much as possible, and I, like you (it seems), do have many fears for the world, but we have to find positivity where we can and your new hobbies sound like a good direction.

We need more things that bring us together and less that divide. I hope that the MFC can bring us all together again soon, but for now, we're a mile off.

Thanks mate.

All the best to you and your pregnant wife mate. Enjoy that special journey with her. Before you know it, your little bundle of joy is here!

And you're right mate, can only focus on the positives. The great perspective I've had is my first born son who was born November last year. Having kids just changes your whole new outlook on life. Everything I do is now fully on him and my family.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

9 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Was disappointed with how we played today, but wouldn't dream of walking away from MY TEAM, but then again I've just checked and my Kahunas are still there

What a disappointing and pathetic post.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

What disappoints me the most about you, and others like you, is your genuine enjoyment at being "proven right". 

The easier option is to be negative. 17/18 clubs fail to win the flag each year so the odds are in your favour.

Last year in particular, a number of us tried to keep our hopes up. I maintain that being optimistic is much harder to do. So it's always deflating when there are people like you who label the optimists "pollyannas" just for having that hope. 

Now here we are, in a thread where everyone is admitting they're losing hope.

I am too.

As every week goes by that we make the same mistakes and exhibit little to no improvement, I question whether and when it will turn, and whether we'll be able to make something of a list which should be playing better football than it is currently. 

I'm rapidly losing faith in Goodwin, I'm rapidly losing faith in Mahoney, in a number of players who should be "core". It sucks.

But I wish people wouldn't gloat about it when things go poorly.

Yeah I'm thrilled.

Grow up. It's pathetic.

Your club is disintegrating before your eyes.

• Like 1