Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 05 vs Richmond

Demonland

I used to get offended when commentators called us an irrelevant team. 

But that is exactly what we are.

I can't ever remember an opposition laughing and smiling as much as i saw today. They simply don't rate us and nor should they. 

We are a laughing stock! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, dl4e said:

The result does not surprise me at all. What I thaught shone out today was the complete stupidity of this club. Some of the decision making errors were hard to believe. On how many occasions did we kick it or handball straight to an opposition player.

Multiple. Absolutely unbelievable. It’s like they seek out an opposition player.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

How often does an AFL player improve their kicking over their career??

Examples please. 

You do know a lot of teams have kicking coaches, don’t you? In fact Adem Yze began his career with Hawthorn as one. He improved their accuracy in front of goal from 48% to 57% actually. 

• Like 1

The board should ask for financial assistance from the AFL now

if they think the members are going to fork over $700K watching that rubbish then they’re living in fairy land

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

It's always easy to blame the coaching staff when it is ultimately the players out there playing

There is more to it than that. The club drafts and recruits the players and the coach picks who is playing and decides how they play. We tend to draft much better than we trade when we seem to get stuck with overpriced under performers. It is these guys that are our big problem we can't afford not to play them even if they are ordinary. We only have one proven key position player and that is not the players fault. Goodwin is a very ordinary game day coach and his assistant's big claim is being able to out coach Goodwin with a side that is less talented than the Dees. The team that Goodwin inherited from Roos was much better than the one we have today. That is not the players fault. We need a decent football manager and coach and a rebuild this team is not going to have success with Goodwin. 

Edited by Mental Demons
  • Like 1

A team will be picked for next week. Some supporters will like it, others won't, Goodwin will be coach. It's the reality and no amount of ranting will make a difference. Rinse and repeat.

Pfft what can I day that hasn't already been said? We stink right now plain and simple.

Can you explain what is wrong with us in a sentence? Not really, a complicated and confusing gameplan means a complicated and confusing explanation as to why we are the way we are.

Intensity was there yes. Apart from some dragging their feet when we'd lose the ball I'd say general effort was there, but the 3 words I'd use to describe us are dumb, dumb, dumb. I honestly don't get it, rudimentary things that you learn in junior footy and showing that we are consistently inept when executing them. I can't remember the last time I would see us with the ball and a man free 20 metres away and not only do we not hit the simple target WE GET NOWHERE NEAR IT! I honestly can't remember this happening more in a game. 

I saw very little in Richmond today. They're a good side, they take their chances but they were beatable today and most of their goals came from our mistakes. So many moments where the 50-50 ball in the middle was there to be won and had we won it could have created something but we'd lose it and they would walk it in for a score. 

Oh did I mention stupid stupid errors? I don't care if I did already I'm going to say it again, if you are playing AFL football at this level being paid triple figures I don't care what Covid has done or if you need to get a flight after the game, a 5 metre handball is a 5 metre handball and you need to hit the target 9 times out of 10, not 5, not 7, at least 9. Please just get that through your heads if nothing else. I'd really had enough when we had clawed 2 goals back and then Clarry gathered it and handballed at Smith's shoelaces. You handball so darn much Clarry you should be good at it by now. 

Is our backline good? I wouldn't have a clue right now. They aren't bad but that doesn't mean they don't make some stupid defensive errors. They also aren't willing to work that extra 5% to help each other out. That last goal I thought May was doing everything to prevent us conceding yet we end up finding a way to fluff it, I really didn't think his effort deserved that but no-one wanted to put their body on the line at that monent. Guess it was the end of the game so who cares yeah?

Nankervis got injured, they played some flub wingman in the ruck and we STILL couldn't get on top in clearances. We have a full side to choose from damn it. When the ball goes into our 50 and there's a rare occasion it doesn't come out the level of our output is just not high enough. If it's a stoppage we win we'll hack kick it down their throat for a mark, if they win the stoppage, they will hack kick it out and low and behold a guy is their to mark it. If these things don't happen they will just win the ball and run it out. On a case by case basis these instances just need to be better full stop. Get pressure on the kicker so they don't get that escape kick so easily and maybe we can force another ball up or throw in inside our 50. Fight for another stoppage, start getting the minutes inside our 50 up. If we are going to play this game style these are the 1%ers that need to start happening because it's all well and good to say oh well let's just get another inside 50, we're banging our head against a wall.

I haven't even talked about the forward setup, and I won't.

Good efforts - Petracca the only real player out there, Hibbo was important and is fighting for his spot with everything, Hannan at least tries to add to pressure and played well. Kozzie gives you hope in the 50. T-mac worked hard, hopefully he can keep working and inching his way back into form. Harmes is not being used properly and should be in the middle more. He is our best gut runner and we started rolling when he went in there. 

There's plenty more to say but I can't be bothered, I have a headache after the last 2 hours of watching, another grand old way to finish the weekend. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

I used to get offended when commentators called us an irrelevant team. 

But that is exactly what we are.

I can't ever remember an opposition laughing and smiling as much as i saw today. They simply don't rate us and nor should they. 

We are a laughing stock! 

Exactly. My mum msgd me before the game to say I thought it was our home game? How come all the focus is on Richmond?

I said it's because Richmond might actually do something this year while we are completely irrelevant. It's not that they don't rate us, it's that they don't even think we are worth talking about.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So shiited off with these shortened 3/4 length games.  Despite the melt down started by Oliver in the last 5 minutes, we were playing all over Richmond in the second half and almost looked like the 2018 edition MFC streaming through the centre of the ground.

I know some will say that we were playing an undermanned Tigers down their ruckman and only one on the bench, but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes and I recall the ANZAC game in 2017 when we lost Jake Spencer in the first 5 mins, had Jack Watts ruck the whole game and then were out on our feet in the last quarter, got over run an pipped at the post.

Despite a few woeful plays and players today, I feel like we are actually not that far off playing some decent footy when we move it through the middle and take the game on more.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, layzie said:

I saw very little in Richmond today. They're a good side, they take their chances but they were beatable today and most of their goals came from our mistakes

I reckon this does take a bit away from Richmond.

Their intensity was much higher than it's been for the past few weeks. They did force some mistakes out of us, they weren't all our own fault.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mel Bourne said:

You do know a lot of teams have kicking coaches, don’t you? In fact Adem Yze began his career with Hawthorn as one. He improved their accuracy in front of goal from 48% to 57% actually. 

I’ve played/ coached for 30+ yrs, I’m well aware of that. 
Goal kicking is totally seperate to what I’m talking about, field kicking, hand balling, marking - it’s poor at best and probably along with Adel & Freo the worst in the comp. 

Our key on ballers are the main culprits - Viney, Oliver. 

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I reckon this does take a bit away from Richmond.

Their intensity was much higher than it's been for the past few weeks. They did force some mistakes out of us, they weren't all our own fault.

Look it probably does TU I'm definitely talking out of pure frustration which isn't really the smartest thing to do but I just felt like a quality side could have given them problems and I wouldn't say they are back in town yet. They definitely meant business though and were a few men down for most of it. 

Their relentless pressure did force us into a lot of our mistakes. You could say the forced error count was as high as the unforced error count. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

We make it so hard to even give ourselves a competitive chance with the team selection on Thursday evening. To my mind we have lost a number of matches with thoughtless selections the last few seasons.

in defence, drop Smith and bring in OMac. This would have allow Lever to play the game he was brought in for and would give a lot more stability. Jetta for Lockhart? Not sure that would be an improvement on exposed form but we need someone that can get their ha dis on the ball a bit more than Lockhart did. Give Rivers another run. 

Midfield needs to give us more run back and forwards. I would shoot Bambi and drop Viney. Give Harmes a longer run in the middle paired with Oliver, Brayshaw and Petracca. Jones back or does Sparrow or Jordan get a look in?

Tempted to give TMac a rest or, at least, bring in another tall to give the forward 50 a bit more structure. AVB Melksham and Hunt all rubbish. Bennell back in.

just select a side that will give us an even chance to be competive  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What does Goodwin do on GameDay though? Does Goodwin select the team on a Thursday? He is the one who selected Smith on Riewoldt and kept him there. He is the one who refuses to play a 2nd tall forward.  He is the one who won't play Jones or Jetta whenwe are crying out for onfield leadership. He is the one who won't play Bennell when we are crying out for good ball users. He is the one who refuses to play Harmes in the middle and persists with Oliver and Viney though they are both one dimensional players who have had zero impact on games for 18 months.

I could go on.

Fair call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youngwilliam said:

Pack your bags Goody, you're not going to Sydney.

The Florida Panthers sacked a coach on a road trip... he had to take his bags off the bus and wait on the side of the road for a “taxi”..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/28/florida-panthers-fired-their-coach-and-then-made-him-find-his-own-way-home/

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

How often does an AFL player improve their kicking over their career??

Examples please. 

And that could be the main problem. 
We all know that for a number of years we recruited only the contested beast, while the game was evolving to a game of precision disposal,  to avoid the opposition scoring. 
We are now left with a lot of poorly skilled footballers, who can win the footy and get it forward, but not accurately enough to maintain possession, inside or near our F50 where the scoring is done. 
The stats don’t lie, we lose games weekly while having more inside F50’s than the opposition. 
That’s it in a nutshell. The problem is we haven’t fixed it in the last few years and therefore it keeps repeating. 
Fix that problem and select a better balanced forward line and we will win a lot more games. 
The fear of many on here is that Goodwin can’t. 
That is fully understandable, given the weekly  repeated scenario.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

I tried to make a habit of not reading/ commenting on this site after a loss (and for that matter a win). But tonight I cannot help myself. I understand the angst and the heartbreak of seeing so many try and fail. But can someone that understands logic please explain to me how any Umpire with half a brain can say " I know he didn't have prior opportunity but he has to make a genuine attempt" What muppet wrote this (if indeed that is what the rule is) and coaches /instructs the Umpires.

Surely, if you don't have prior opportunity you cannot have any kind of attempt genuine or otherwise. I saw this incorrectly payed  as a free multiple times across the round. MFCSS of course dictates that it's payed to the opposition 20m out directly in front, halts all our momentum and the make up one is paid with no chance of it having any influence on the scores.

I'm rapidly getting to the stage that I will not watch any AFL games other than to watch a Melbourne win after the fact.

I often hear it said that you need people who understand football, making decisions/ changes at AFL house. I would just settle for someone that understands logic.

• Like 5

Goodwin is either an idiot or a bad communicator. 
How can the game plan be “handball at all costs and kick it quickly and long into the forwardline” while at the same time not have a single contested marking forward in form up forward? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

The Florida Panthers sacked a coach on a road trip... he had to take his bags off the bus and wait on the side of the road for a “taxi”..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/11/28/florida-panthers-fired-their-coach-and-then-made-him-find-his-own-way-home/

How funny would it be for their flight check-in. Sorry Mr Goodwin, there is no seat here for you in the system.

• Haha 3