• Podcast: Glen Bartlett Interview &      

Sign in to follow this  
McQueen

Is Mahoney the right guy?

What the hell. This is a little tongue in cheek but whilst we’re all frothing let’s not miss anyone and I think Josh has been flying under the radar here...

As Goodwins direct Manager, when does the heat come on Mahoney for the performance of his department? COVID restrictions or not, if I was a board member I’d be looking at other people in the organisation that may be either limiting or having too much input into team performance. 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsfUn6h1b1XcIX8B9HDqa

• Like 2

Have always stuck up for him purely on the basis of the trade deals we've been able to make happen, BUT there's no doubt there should be pressure on him and have heard some pretty unfavourable things said about him by people who absolutely would know and be able to make judgments on it. (Sorry, not going to 'name names' for obvious reasons here, and yes I understand how some people will perceive that).

Unfortunately for us, it seems we have a bit of a 'new boys club' currently and Mahoney has firmly entrenched himself in that.

i'm going to put it out there...

he should have gone when he wasn't made ceo

he's overseen a failed regeneration of the football department, with too many stories about conflicts in the coaching box, conflicts in the playing list, and misbehaviour off the field

he's been part of failed department and needs to go

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

i think he is seen as one of the managers to 'win' off in the AFL. we paid too much for Lever, although people exagerate that cost. it was basically the equivalent of a first rounder and a late second rounder. I thought he definitely should have got more back for pick 5 in a super draft for May. That was highway robbery as he was in the second half of his career.

and the North trade boggles the mind, even given next year is packed with father sons and academy picks. If we win the premiership we still lose. what ? and did we know we were getting Pickett ?

I don't want a Dodoro who is the opposite but he gives too much.

I feel like we might become middle of the road and have no top picks going into next year to improve us.

13 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

he's overseen a failed regeneration of the football department, with too many stories about conflicts in the coaching box, conflicts in the playing list, and misbehaviour off the field

I like Josh, but i think you are right WWSW

He was being groomed for the CEO job, it didn’t eventuate. 
As for recruitment he has been involved in some good deals, but the forwardline is a shambles. 
we need a Serious Forward, Goodwin’s plan would work with a Tom Lynch and 1 other, but without we are merely burning masses of energy for little return

If we have back-back bottom 4 finishes, his position is surely under question.

He's ultimately responsible as head of football for our shambolic forward line which will cost us so many games this year. He paid a fortune for a good and a BOG average defender and subsequently neglected our forward line, which was dynamic for a lot of 2018.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

How long has he been at the club ? Quite a while I think. Look at results. Tending towards the negative.

55 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

This.

When he didn't get the CEO gig, he should've moved on. Instead he's overseen what's proving to be a failed rebuild of the football department with conflict between coaches and cliques forming within the club again. We've also developed leaks to the outside again. Under P Jackson we were watertight. Since he left, we leak to the media and elsewhere. I've experienced it first hand late last year.

We're essentially back to where we were in the early 2010s pre-Roos & P. Jackson. We're a bottom team with boys club mentality, internal conflicts and leaking. Mahoney has overseen that regression and needs to go IMO.

If it is his responsibility to support the senior coach and the playing group by providing the resources that they to maximise their performance, then I think he is significantly underperforming.

Who are the bright, young assistant and development coaches on our books? Chaplin and Rooke have been around a fair while now, and neither convinces. What qualifies Plapp to be an AFL midfield coach? What are the KPIs for these guys, or do we keep shuffling their roles until we find one that suits? 

We haven't had a rising star nomination in almost four years - where is  our player development? Why do we only hit the draft hard once every four years when we have list lacking in depth and top end talent? The North trade was a disgrace, but only one of many in recent times.

Who is keeping Goodwin accountable for the performance of the team? What is Richardson bringing to the table? I'm assuming Mahoney ticked off Goodwin's contract extension before it went to the board - that alone should be cause for dismissal.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, poita said:

The North trade was a disgrace

Not yet it's not...

We got 3 good pics this year that we otherwise wouldn't have had.

The coming draft is a raffle with no exposed form and the father son/academy picks.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, dl4e said:

How long has he been at the club ? Quite a while I think. Look at results. Tending towards the negative.

Nigh on 13 years, 10 years in football admin.

From Wikipedia:

• Assistant Coach (forward) 2008 to 2011
  • In September 2011, Mahoney was appointed Melbourne's Football Manager after Mark Neeld was appointed as senior coach.
  • In September 2013, Mahoney was appointed Melbourne's General Manager - Football Operations by CEO Peter Jackson.

When Pert had the FD review last year, I strongly argued on DL that Mahoney should not have been involved in the review of his own department; a department where he had been party to nearly every coaching appointment/departure and overseen list management since 2016 (half way thru Roos' last season) and could not possibly be objective nor independent. 

The FD on and off field is of his making.

Not sure the length of his contract but assuming it was 3 years it would expire this year or next.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Nigh on 13 years, 10 years in football admin.

From Wikipedia:

• Assistant Coach (forward) 2008 to 2011
  • In September 2011, Mahoney was appointed Melbourne's Football Manager after Mark Neeld was appointed as senior coach.
  • In September 2013, Mahoney was appointed Melbourne's General Manager - Football Operations by CEO Peter Jackson.

When Pert had the FD review last year, I strongly argued on DL that Mahoney should not have been involved in the review of his own department; a department where he had been party to nearly every coaching appointment/departure and overseen list management since 2016 (half way thru Roos' last season) and could not possibly be objective nor independent. 

The FD on and off field is of his making.

Not sure the length of his contract but assuming it was 3 years it would expire this year or next.

he's got to go at the end of this year you'd think

40 minutes ago, rjay said:

Not yet it's not...

We got 3 good pics this year that we otherwise wouldn't have had.

The coming draft is a raffle with no exposed form and the father son/academy picks.

We also got Kysaiah Pickett.

He's done well the last few years

More concern is surrounding Plapp, Goody, Chaplin and Matthews. 

No forward line coach either right? 

I don't buy into them at all 

Supporters are sick of the talk, we want results and this current leadership admin and coaches group steering the ship is running out of time, quickly. 

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

What the hell. This is a little tongue in cheek but whilst we’re all frothing let’s not miss anyone and I think Josh has been flying under the radar here...

As Goodwins direct Manager, when does the heat come on Mahoney for the performance of his department? COVID restrictions or not, if I was a board member I’d be looking at other people in the organisation that may be either limiting or having too much input into team performance. 

I think it goes all the way back to the top,  'MrQ'.

I blame Gabriel Zondy for this mess. he's the one we want to sort out the culture issues and lack of leadership.   🤗

28 minutes ago, MF-C said:

He's done well the last few years

More concern is surrounding Plapp, Goody, Chaplin and Matthews. 

No forward line coach either right? 

I don't buy into them at all 

I'd like to see us do a Richmond and keep Goody for stability and change assistants.

We need to invest in the best forward line coach we can find!

• Like 1

If he doesn't play or coach, leave him alone. The board should provide additional match day coaching support for goodwon. He needs it badly.

It seems that there was no tactical response to the catties go slow tactics.  Such a lack of response is a serious failure and needs to be purged from our coaching panel.

Who was it who said "don't think, do". Get him to coach from above where he will at least get a birds eye view.

20 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

I'd like to see us do a Richmond and keep Goody for stability and change assistants.

We need to invest in the best forward line coach we can find!

A part of me think this probably needs to be the case.

After last years review, I was shocked that the likes of Chaplin, Plapp, Rooke were all kept on as assistants. 

I don't rate any of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheKozzieExperience said:

I wonder who we would have drafted with the pick we traded for 27 year old defender May.

I tell myself it wouldn't have been Ben King just to feel better.

What a shambles!

It is a good what if. If we had King last year, we could have had Green this year.  Also would have kept Frost who is the equal of Lever.

54 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

Supporters are sick of the talk, we want results and this current leadership admin and coaches group steering the ship is running out of time, quickly. 

Supporters sick of talk, you wouldn't think so from the pages and pages of waffle from the couch bound Chairmen, CEOs, Football Managers and Coaches on here