Jump to content

  • Podcast     

  • Podcast     

Fixture 2020 (COVID Edition)



Recommended Posts

Not sure clubs will want another 'festival' given all the injuries during this one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough on the travel for us but harder for our opponents. Rd 9 vs Port Adelaide sees us not travelling coming off a 4 day break.  Port get a 5 day break but travelling from Adelaide.  I'd say this

Meanwhile in Yuendumu ...

They should! To be honest my 34 year old friend is currently on a ventilator fighting for life, not because he was partying, refusing to wear a mask or social distance, but because he is a doctor

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The way I read it, our ess game is during round 14-16.  ie 4 games over 2 to 3 weeks.  At best a game every 4.2 days. 

Surely its just a reference to when that game will be scheduled, not in addition to. If we have another compressed part of the fixture then my read is that we will play Essendon in either round 14, 15 or 16. Still just playing three games while other teams have their "byes." 

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Surely its just a reference to when that game will be scheduled, not in addition to. If we have another compressed part of the fixture then my read is that we will play Essendon in either round 14, 15 or 16. Still just playing three games while other teams have their "byes." 

Six other teams are having their byes now during this so-called Festival of Footy. For example, Round 10, which finishes tonight, has four teams having a bye (Carlton, Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast) and Round 11 sees Sydney and GWS each having a bye. I dont know when other teams will have their bye but I expect our game against the Bombers will just become a game scheduled like any other without any need to squeeze it in as an extra game.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Six other teams are having their byes now during this so-called Festival of Footy. For example, Round 10, which finishes tonight, has four teams having a bye (Carlton, Hawthorn, Fremantle and West Coast) and Round 11 sees Sydney and GWS each having a bye. I dont know when other teams will have their bye but I expect our game against the Bombers will just become a game scheduled like any other without any need to squeeze it in as an extra game.

That's my train of thought as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

That is awful for us.

Compressed rnd 14 - 16 means 3 games in about 2 weeks.  But we will have to play an extra game with Ess in that time.  4 games in 2 weeks without...just don't see it.  Nah, not on.  Not fair on the players.

And, potentially a game at Alice during that time.  Ess were lucky to get their NT game in a rnd 13 ie a 'normal' week.

All the more reason we circumspect with selections and not burn-out players.

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes, there will be 18 rounds.   8 rounds to go. 

I agree we won't play an 'extra' game, per se, it is the 'catch up' game for our 'bye' months ago.  My issue is the 'catch up' game is said to be during rounds 14 -16.   By my calcs that is a game every 4.2 days.  A gruelling schedule.  

Am I missing something...

By the end of rnd 16 all teams have played 15 games.   

No we'll be playing three games in that time, not four.

There are 18 rounds. Every club has a bye during one of them. Ours was in Round 3.

That means for every other round we play one game.

It will be the same from here to the end of the season for West Coast, Fremantle, Carlton and Hawthorn, all of whom have their bye this round and therefore are also 9-game teams like us.

There is prejudice to us, and that's that our bye was in Round 3, a completely useless time to have it given the long break between Rounds 1 and 2. Whereas all other clubs get a week off during the compressed fixture to rest.

But we're not going to have to play an extra game on top of the rest.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been thinking about the compressed fixture lately and wonder if it could possibly be the way back to a fair and even competition? It would require an absolute revolution in the way we do footy. For decades the AFL has prioritised profit over an even comp but this could be a way to even the comp and increase profits.

If we scrapped the preseason comp and started the season on the first weekend in March and ended it on the last weekend in August there'd be 26 weeks of regular season. If you compress each round to 5 days you could fit 36 rounds into the 26 weeks. Every club could play every other club twice and have room for 2 byes during the year. The AFL would need to make sure there are minimum 4 day breaks between games.

To make it work you'd need to keep the shortened quarters, probably shortening them a bit more to 15 minutes plus time on. List sizes would need to stay at least as big as they are now and coaches would need to manage players like they do in the big soccer leagues. A 22 round season of 20 minute quarters is 1760 minutes of regular time. A 34 round season of 15 minute quarters in 2040 minutes of regular time. It's pretty much an extra 3.5 games of footy each club in terms of minutes played.

198 game season becomes a 306 game season and there is a game of footy on tv and radio every day from early March until late August. It would be a six month non stop festival of football every season. The shorter games would likely please broadcasters and there is an extra 108 games to sell. It could be the cash injection they need to keep revenue somewhere near pre cold levels.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Is it too much footy? Too hard on the players? Could it work?

 

Edited by furious d
added a sentence
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, furious d said:

198 game season becomes a 306 game season and there is a game of footy on tv and radio every day from early March until late August. It would be a six month non stop festival of football every season. The shorter games would likely please broadcasters and there is an extra 108 games to sell. It could be the cash injection they need to keep revenue somewhere near pre cold levels.

That's the big unknown. Is there someone willing to pay. Prices paid for niche sports (and that is what AFL is) are under pressure. Very few if any media companies are making a profit.

If clubs want to make your idea work (playing each other twice) ideally you would reduce the number of teams to 12 with four in Melbourne, one in Geelong and one perhaps in Tasmania.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, furious d said:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Is it too much footy? Too hard on the players? Could it work?

I’d be hoping the games return to normal length games next year.

I will still put a small asterix next to this year’s premier simply due to there not being traditional length games this year.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I’d be hoping the games return to normal length games next year.

I will still put a small asterix next to this year’s premier simply due to there not being traditional length games this year.

Agree on both points.

16 minute quarters represents a fundamental change to the game. Teams can keep their zones working till the end of quarters. 

Fitter teams so not get the comparative advantage they do wirh normal quarters, nor those that rely on high pressure, contested footy, like the tigers and us. That game style reaps its real benefit when opposition teams tire lat3 in quarters.

Look at this block of compressed games. Scores are going up and I'm convinced that is related to fatigue. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, furious d said:

I've been thinking about the compressed fixture lately and wonder if it could possibly be the way back to a fair and even competition? It would require an absolute revolution in the way we do footy. For decades the AFL has prioritised profit over an even comp but this could be a way to even the comp and increase profits.

If we scrapped the preseason comp and started the season on the first weekend in March and ended it on the last weekend in August there'd be 26 weeks of regular season. If you compress each round to 5 days you could fit 36 rounds into the 26 weeks. Every club could play every other club twice and have room for 2 byes during the year. The AFL would need to make sure there are minimum 4 day breaks between games.

To make it work you'd need to keep the shortened quarters, probably shortening them a bit more to 15 minutes plus time on. List sizes would need to stay at least as big as they are now and coaches would need to manage players like they do in the big soccer leagues. A 22 round season of 20 minute quarters is 1760 minutes of regular time. A 34 round season of 15 minute quarters in 2040 minutes of regular time. It's pretty much an extra 3.5 games of footy each club in terms of minutes played.

198 game season becomes a 306 game season and there is a game of footy on tv and radio every day from early March until late August. It would be a six month non stop festival of football every season. The shorter games would likely please broadcasters and there is an extra 108 games to sell. It could be the cash injection they need to keep revenue somewhere near pre cold levels.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Is it too much footy? Too hard on the players? Could it work?

 

Don't think it could work, nor should be tried.

Too much football will ruin it. We don't need football every day. We don't even need Thursday night games. The less is more approach is a far better way to improve the quality, fan engagement, umpiring levels, etc.

The 22-game fixture is inadequate but can be improved through a formula which ensures the 5 extra games are rotated and teams play each other a certain number of times over a certain number of years. 

Trying to get 34 games into a season is just unworkable, IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at fixture , essendon has not played wc and we have not played freo

wonder subject to COVID restrictions in Wa  being relaxed  (and the season is still alive)  That after rnd 15 we and essendon fly to perth play midweek and we play freo rnd 16 on following weekend and ess play. Wc. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Satan said:

Looking at fixture , essendon has not played wc and we have not played freo

wonder subject to COVID restrictions in Wa  being relaxed  (and the season is still alive)  That after rnd 15 we and essendon fly to perth play midweek and we play freo rnd 16 on following weekend and ess play. Wc. 

Possibly.

West Coast can only have one more home game, having already had 8 to the end of Round 13. If they're going to be sent to a hub for their remaining 4 games (rather than flying out of Perth every week like in a regular season), I suspect they'll want their 4 away games to be in a block so they can play another hub. So that may mean their final home game (assuming the AFL gives them 9 home games, rather than 8 ), could be in Round 14 or Round 18 instead.

Fremantle is the same, by the way, with 8 home games to the end of Round 13.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Satan said:

Looking at fixture , essendon has not played wc and we have not played freo

wonder subject to COVID restrictions in Wa  being relaxed  (and the season is still alive)  That after rnd 15 we and essendon fly to perth play midweek and we play freo rnd 16 on following weekend and ess play. Wc. 

Or play them in NT:  Ess vs WCE and Dees vs Freo.  And play Dees vs Ess in NT (as Ess play Rich in  Darwin in rnd 13).

But my mfcss says Ess will get to hub in Darwin and we move between Qld, Darwin and Alice...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d love to see Dees v Freo at Alice springs and then Dees v Dons in Darwin.  Then Dees back to Qld to play Saints and Swans and Giants.  
 

Of course the Saints would come off a bye and 10 days rest and we would have a 4 day break after dons in Darwin. Saints are one of the Mr Gill Mcclayaclhlalhlhannn’s new loves!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Melbourne vs Essendon in Alice Springs Round 14?

 

I love playing in Alice..  actuallynever been there but on the TV it looks like an amazing location and surface.   Would be absolutely delightful to destroy the Essendon cheats there and rocket up into the 8 while officially ending their season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2020 at 3:02 PM, binman said:

Agree on both points.

16 minute quarters represents a fundamental change to the game. Teams can keep their zones working till the end of quarters. 

Fitter teams so not get the comparative advantage they do wirh normal quarters, nor those that rely on high pressure, contested footy, like the tigers and us. That game style reaps its real benefit when opposition teams tire lat3 in quarters.

Look at this block of compressed games. Scores are going up and I'm convinced that is related to fatigue. 

Powell Sorry but an asterisk fir a different time per quarter of the game?? 
Did the 1896 season have 20 mins plus tome on?

Whst about the 1948 Grand  Final  replay we won fir instance.20 mins quarters??

You under your system could have as many asterisks as their Are time zones in USA or Europe!!

Perhaps  when we finally move to a night GF we should have a MOON style emoji to accompany the result in all record books.

Please KISS principle is best  for AFL they complicate things far too much as it is.

Rules of game etc. especially and that's not even anything to do with The Covid-19 amendments which were NECESSARY.

Hopefully Dees win a flag in my lifetime and I won't care about the time of quarters  I will be celebrating far too hard to worry!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumours up here in Qld that the Dees, Freo and Swans will be hubbed in Cairns to play Rds 15-16.

I strongly highlight the word 'rumours' until something official is announced as it's a mate of a mate of a mate situation.

Given our recent experience playing games in Darwin, it could be to our advantage compared to Freo/Swans.

But it would make it a fourth hub location since the team left Melbourne - Sydney, Maroochydore, Adelaide, Cairns - which isn't ideal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Demon Spofforth said:

Rumours up here in Qld that the Dees, Freo and Swans will be hubbed in Cairns to play Rds 15-16.

I strongly highlight the word 'rumours' until something official is announced as it's a mate of a mate of a mate situation.

Given our recent experience playing games in Darwin, it could be to our advantage compared to Freo/Swans.

But it would make it a fourth hub location since the team left Melbourne - Sydney, Maroochydore, Adelaide, Cairns - which isn't ideal.

Thanks for the tip DS.

Another (fairly strong) rumour is we play Ess in Alice in rnd 14.  So a Cairns hub looks very unfair on us as it means a trip to Alice then a trip to Cairns after a long series of short breaks (without the bye other clubs have) for another series  of short breaks.

A bunch of clubs have hubbed in Qld from the start, have not hubbed anywhere else and barely left Qld, if at all:  Richmond, Saints, Ess, Suns, Lions, Bulldogs...  Those are the clubs that should be going to Cairns. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Demon Spofforth said:

Rumours up here in Qld that the Dees, Freo and Swans will be hubbed in Cairns to play Rds 15-16.

 

 

Not ideal playing in the tropics, but at least its two mediocre opponents.  We  will be knackered come Round 1 of the finals if we make it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    WASH, RINSE, SPIN, REPEAT! by George On The Outer

    Although the Demons got over the line in their must win final round game against the hapless Bombers, they ensured it was Groundhog Day for their supporters who well remember what happened three years ago (although, this time they at least enjoyed the success of victory). Melbourne had its customary start dominating play and having plenty of chances in front of goal, only to find itself down on the scoreboard at the first change. Inaccurate kicking, particularly from set shots would have pu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE LUCK OF THE DRAW by Whispering Jack

    The long awaited clash between Melbourne and Essendon is almost upon us. Thirty-seven rounds of AFL football have passed by since the two clubs met on a balmy early April night last year in a game that produced a high scoring shootout at the MCG with the Bombers prevailing by 18 points. It was their only meeting for 2019 and happened at a time when the pandemic was something on the far distant horizon. Several months later when the 2019 season ended, the AFL issued the first of its fixtures

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THERE’S STILL A HEARTBEAT by George on the Outer

    When bottom side Adelaide scrapped together a win over the Giants last week, a tiny glimmer of hope opened up for the Demons’ finals chances. The patient was in intensive care but not quite finished — there was a faint pulse, a heart beating ever so slightly but was it enough when two more wins and other results were needed to fall their way? The first step was the resuscitation of a team that had lost its last two matches against sides then sitting fifteenth and sixteenth on the ladder. On

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 1

    THE FINAL HUMILIATION by The Oracle

    On Sunday, the Melbourne Football Club that won three consecutive games by in excess of 50 points last month returns to the Gabba, the scene of the last of those victories which was a 56 point drubbing of Collingwood. The Demons got off to a good start and won every quarter with a ruthless and powerful brand of football. They kicked 16 goals that day, their accuracy in front of goal a tribute to the skills the put on display throughout the afternoon and evening. In the four matches playe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVEN THE OLD HEAVE HO’ by George on the Outer

    Fremantle gave Melbourne the old heave ho’ from playing finals in 2020, in conditions that the Demons yet again failed to handle.   With the whole season on the line and the need to win to stay in contention for finals, what the fans saw was much the same as they have been witnessing so many times before — a complete debacle and capitulation against a side that sat 15th on the ladder before the game.     Promises made after the loss to the 16th placed Sydney Swans were rendered h

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GETTING THE HEAVE HO by Bananabender

    The ute barely made it up to Cairns in time for us to check into the motel, fling a cane toad out the bathroom. and head over to Cazaly’s Stadium where we took up our position on the wing. There, we saw a completely different Melbourne to the one we watched on the screen only a few nights earlier from Alice Springs. This lot wore similar colours and Maxy dominated the ruck but the similarities ended there - the Demons were simply dreadful against the Swans. They started sluggishly, were spe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A CLANGER IN CAIRNS by George on the Outer

    Having fought back into finals contention, the Demons had it all before them when facing a lowly Sydney in Cairns.  But in typical Melbourne fashion, they threw away the opportunity to cement their spot in the eight with a clanger of a game.  Right from the start, there was little to enthuse from the Melbourne players, who appeared to think that they only had to turn up, enjoy the North Queensland sun, and take away the four points.  Compared with the furious ground wide pressure of the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN MINUTES LATE by Whispering Jack

    The late Norm Smith, who played in four Melbourne premierships and coached another six, was a strong disciplinarian. Known as the Red Fox for his auburn hair and his cunning, Smith was a man of a different age to the here and now. Born during the Great War, he survived the Spanish Flu Pandemic, grew up in depression times, played mostly through the Second World War and its aftermath and coached in a period of rebuilding and recovery to a time of prosperity. Smith’s success was built on team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SAINTS HELL IN DEES HEAVEN by GOTO

    The last of this year’s indigenous games was played in the red heart of the country and could well have determined Melbourne’s finals aspirations but it was St Kilda that had its top four hopes dashed after a nail-biting finish in Alice Springs which saw them unceremoniously marched out of the position in football heaven occupied by them for much of this season. It all came down in the end to a goal-line decision as to whether a freakish shot by Christian Petracca was touched and the goal u

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DO OR DIE by The Oracle

    Melbourne is, not for the first time, paying for lapses in matches whereby the club leaks multiple goals without answer and which usually cost the club in those all-important eight point games as it did last week against the Western Bulldogs which replaced the Demons in the AFL top eight. And this week, they come up against a team that reputedly plays in the same mode as the Bulldogs but has been able to prevail over better opponents than Melbourne. It’s not that the Demons are out of form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    GIVE THE DOGS A BONE by George on the Outer

    The winner of the game is in the top eight and the loser out. Had Melbourne won, it would have consigned the Bulldogs season to the scrapheap given their remaining fixture which still includes a bye. The Demons led at half-time but they gave the Dogs a bone which was willingly accepted — they notched 6 goals in the third quarter and dumped the Demons out of the eight. This game simply saw all the bad habits return for Melbourne players.  When they serve up dinky kicks, dinky handballs, litt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FRENZY by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club should hand out an award to the person who came up with the concept of the 20 day football frenzy the football world experienced from Round 9 to the completion of Round 12 on Monday. When the AFL fixture was moved into a state of perpetual motion, things changed so quickly that it was difficult to fathom exactly what was happening to the competition but the Demons have been one of the beneficiaries to date. The flogging the team received at the hands of Port Adel

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...