Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Fixture 2020 (COVID Edition)

Demonland

7 minutes ago, Kumamoto_Ken said:

They're flat out! 

Either that or this is the FoxFooty newsroom...Jon Ralph, Tom Morris etc.

mr-burns-monkeys-typewriters1-640x381-60

“Kangaroos vs Crows Friday Night Footy!?” *Scrunches paper throwing it at him* “You stupid monkey!”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

How would teams based outside Victoria get to country Victorian towns? I assume the moment they fly into Melbourne airport they're in the lockdown area which automatically means bans or 14 day quarantines when they return to wherever their home base might be. Is Avalon airport inside the locked down Greater Melbourne area? If not, perhaps they could fly in there, although if it's not in Greater Melbourne, it's probably in Greater Geelong which could be added to lockdown at any moment.   

I like your parochial thinking, but I doubt it was ever possible irrespective of any State Government pro-activity. Also, to be fair to the State Government, it's probably got a few other priorities to concentrate on right now than the AFL competition.

All of the towns I mentioned have airports. Albury and Mildura have quite decent airports. Wagga and Wang are 2 hours by bus from Albury.

The regions have really been hung out to dry by this lockdown when they could have been used as minor growth engines in their own right.My comment was really not about the AFL but about how slow we are to look in our own backyard for solutions.

The comment about priorities is an obvious one but really governments have more than one person involved. For example the Deputy Premier whoever he or she is could be put in charge of the regions.

Anyway time for the other States to do some heavy lifting in the economic stakes. Perhaps a rejig of the GST formula in favour of Victoria...(watch WA and Qld scream).

Never thought I would live to see the degree of parochialism that is presently being exhibited. Thought that went with Joh Bjelke.

• Like 1

So on a related note, being up here in Bris Vagus I was watching the local Seven news and they were going on about what a boon it is for Queensland to have all theses Victorian teams up here.  They then went on to say that with all the extra games being played at the Gabba and Carrara that they will need to manage the grounds well to keep them in good nick and that as such the Lions might need to give up 'some' of their training sessions on there.

You would bloody well hope that the Lions have to give up pretty much all of their training sessions on the Gabba, given MGC tenants rarely get the oppertunity to train on their home deck.

I also think this period could be a good oppertunity for the MFC to get comfortable playing on both the Gabba and Carrara, which of some importance given that both the Lions and Suns look like being pretty decient sides over the next few years.  Having said that, I think that we play both the Gabba and Carrara pretty well as it is and have a decient record on both grounds over the last few years.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

13 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

All of the towns I mentioned have airports. Albury and Mildura have quite decent airports. Wagga and Wang are 2 hours by bus from Albury.

The regions have really been hung out to dry by this lockdown when they could have been used as minor growth engines in their own right.My comment was really not about the AFL but about how slow we are to look in our own backyard for solutions.

The comment about priorities is an obvious one but really governments have more than one person involved. For example the Deputy Premier whoever he or she is could be put in charge of the regions.

Anyway time for the other States to do some heavy lifting in the economic stakes. Perhaps a rejig of the GST formula in favour of Victoria...(watch WA and Qld scream).

Never thought I would live to see the degree of parochialism that is presently being exhibited. Thought that went with Joh Bjelke.

Are the regional airports capable of taking planes that fly longer distances, such as from Brisbane and Perth? I can't imagine the AFL wanting anything other than direct flights between hubs/bases and wherever games are to be played. That might require chartered flights, rather than regularly scheduled services, but I suspect anything that's not non-stop would be a deal breaker. That might require airports to have long runways and appropriate avionics, etc.

As to your comment about a GST re-jig, I'm with you all the way. In fact, Demonland has been lacking a good debate on horizontal fiscal equalisation and vertical fiscal imbalance.

14 hours ago, Pates said:

Things change, 2 weeks ago we were clearly (rated as) one of the worst teams. Not saying it’s completely flipped but teams rise and fall through the year. 

Still getting the likes of Richmond, WC, Geelong, and Brisbane away early could open up our draw. Even more so if we somehow get the W against the Lions. 

Yep. I'm all for the positivity, it's justified (will be even more so if we beat Brisbane), but as is often the case on Demonland, it's gone from one extreme to the other.

Quite ridiculous how 10 days ago the major themes on here were sacking Goodwin, calling for board-level change, and bemoaning our trade pick with North as a disaster. Now it's finals and Friday night footy in our fixture.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

How would teams based outside Victoria get to country Victorian towns? I assume the moment they fly into Melbourne airport they're in the lockdown area which automatically means bans or 14 day quarantines when they return to wherever their home base might be. Is Avalon airport inside the locked down Greater Melbourne area? If not, perhaps they could fly in there, although if it's not in Greater Melbourne, it's probably in Greater Geelong which could be added to lockdown at any moment.   

I like your parochial thinking, but I doubt it was ever possible irrespective of any State Government pro-activity. Also, to be fair to the State Government, it's probably got a few other priorities to concentrate on right now than the AFL competition.

LDvC many country towns have airports! Most have roads that buses can drive on, some even have trains. Further, some country towns have accommodation and even footy ovals.

Don't be so city centric. It is possible to get from Perth to anywhere in Victoria in under half a day. You could go Perth to Mildura via Melbourne in about the same time as Perth to Brisbane. Anyway the point is moot. 

I would have liked the AFL to have considered moving 8 interstate teams to Victoria and playing the season in Victoria. Why choose to relocate 10 teams? The players and club personnel are in lock down anyway so you can do that anywhere. Why not Northern Territory or Tasmania?

Edited by ManDee
Diamond Jim beat me to it

12 minutes ago, ManDee said:

LDvC many country towns have airports! Most have roads that buses can drive on, some even have trains. Further, some country towns have accommodation and even footy ovals.

Don't be so city centric. It is possible to get from Perth to anywhere in Victoria in under half a day. You could go Perth to Mildura via Melbourne in about the same time as Perth to Brisbane. Anyway the point is moot. 

I would have liked the AFL to have considered moving 8 interstate teams to Victoria and playing the season in Victoria. Why choose to relocate 10 teams? The players and club personnel are in lock down anyway so you can do that anywhere. Why not Northern Territory or Tasmania?

I apologise for appearing to be city-centric. I was only trying to see if the Victorian regional option is practical. If it were to be, I'd be all for it. Right now, though, I can't see it working, not just because of any air transport issues but because the non-Victorian State Governments will not want to allow teams that are anywhere in Victoria and not just Melbourne to return without a 14 day quarantine period, if at all.

3 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I apologise for appearing to be city-centric. I was only trying to see if the Victorian regional option is practical. If it were to be, I'd be all for it. Right now, though, I can't see it working, not just because of any air transport issues but because the non-Victorian State Governments will not want to allow teams that are anywhere in Victoria and not just Melbourne to return without a 14 day quarantine period, if at all.

What I was alluding to but may not have expressed well was that country Victorian towns become hubs. Interstate clubs do not return home they stay in the hubs, like Victorian teams are doing interstate now. They can return home after the season. I know it won't happen but I wonder if it was considered. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

When is the next round of fixtures due to be released? 

Today according to an online article sons, article also states it could just be Round 9 only due to the complex quarantine measures across the states and territories.

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Are the regional airports capable of taking planes that fly longer distances, such as from Brisbane and Perth? 

Mildura and Albury can take 737's so no problem with direct charter flights.

We're now on an alternative route so the debate is probably moot.

Go Dees

Edited by Diamond_Jim

28 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Today according to an online article sons, article also states it could just be Round 9 only due to the complex quarantine measures across the states and territories.

But isn't it from round 9 that there are going to be matches every day of the week over a 3 (or was it 4?) week period?  If so, then surely they would have to be announcing all fixtures over that particular period.

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Yep. I'm all for the positivity, it's justified (will be even more so if we beat Brisbane), but as is often the case on Demonland, it's gone from one extreme to the other.

Quite ridiculous how 10 days ago the major themes on here were sacking Goodwin, calling for board-level change, and bemoaning our trade pick with North as a disaster. Now it's finals and Friday night footy in our fixture.

Rinse and repeat year on year on year on year on year lol!

15 minutes ago, hardtack said:

But isn't it from round 9 that there are going to be matches every day of the week over a 3 (or was it 4?) week period?  If so, then surely they would have to be announcing all fixtures over that particular period.

Thought that also ht, the next few rounds could be announced later this week according the article. We are just over a week out from Rd 9 and we still don’t know which team we are playing, us fans anyway. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 7:33 PM, Nasher said:

On a scale of 0 to 10, my desire to go watch Hawthorn play is about negative eleventy billion.

Just be glad you're allowed out of your house.

On 7/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, Demonland said:

Now Geelong want to host the AFL Grand Final. 

HAHAHAHA fat chance. They are having an increase in numbers as we speak. Tell them they're dreaming.

23 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

So we still have 4 games to come vs the clear worst 4 teams in the league.  (Sydney, Freo, NM, Adelaide).

We are well set up to finish strongly.

We still have to beat those teams and not stumble.

If we achieve that then I think the key games will be Western Bulldogs, Essendon and St Kilda. 

Win 2 out of 3 of these and beat one or more of Collingwood, Port Adelaide, Brisbane and GWS then we get to make finals.

Of course, this is getting ahead of ourselves because we have to not only beat the opposition but the competition needs to beat the virus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

We haven’t played any of the four bottom teams yet! Win those and three of the remaining 7 matches and sitting on 10 wins!

59 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

One of Adelaide, Essendon, GWS, North, Port, St Kilda, Sydney or Bulldogs for round 9.

The rest we've either played or are hubbing in WA.

Will be interesting if we play Port and Adelaide in Adelaide. Makes sense to play them in consecutive weeks and stay in Adelaide.

It seems to make little difference as to whether you are nominally the home or away team in this strange season

2020 AFL FIXTURE (All times local)

ROUND 9

Wednesday July 29

Western Bulldogs vs Richmond (Metricon Stadium), 7:10pm

Thursday July 30

Melbourne vs Port Adelaide (Gabba), 7:50pm

Friday July 31

Carlton vs Hawthorn (Optus Stadium), 5:40pm

Essendon vs Brisbane Lions (Metricon Stadium), 8:10pm

Saturday August 1

North Melbourne vs Adelaide Crows (Metricon Stadium), 2:35pm

St Kilda vs Sydney Swans (Gabba), 5:10pm