Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intra-Club Game: Round 3

Demon trucker

3 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Didn't say that

Said I don't think they would be of value in the modern game, the game has changed

If Leigh Matthews who should know, expressed the same, for some reason I value his.opinion above yours

Please tell me how Garry Lyon, for example, would not survive in the modern game

3 hours ago, PaulRB said:

I don’t agree that not grandstanding equates with taking the scraps. 
AFL is trying to act responsibly re-CoVID in the public’s health interests and run a big business footy competition during a pandemic... 

should one club (Dons) be penalised for having to assist the AFL do its public health duty..? Is debatable.

should the MFC be publicly seeking free wins from the Dons ill fortune? It me such a stance smacks of weakness and doubts that we can be successful without such handouts...

How about we accept we all have to be flexible during CoVID and focus on beating Geelong this week and the Dons whenever the game is rescheduled to be played? 
There’s a flag to be won this year, and winning it with some handout due to the Dons misfortune would diminish it. Winning it despite the challenges we’ve been dealt, would make it truely glorious...

Carlton and Collingwood are likely going to benefit while we are disadvantaged.

9 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Harsh self assessment there

Your opinion on whether Schwarz would be able to fill  the defensive role required of a forward these days

Even Tom Hawkins, who probably equates to the old fashioned gorilla is finding the game is going past him, Tex Walker similarly

Off you go, let's hear an opinion, rather than your usual name calling and toys from the pram

You are saying A FIT Nietz, Schwarz, Lyon or Jakovich would not survive in today’s game

i am calling you a fool because you obviously didn’t see them play at their peak. 
i doubt i am alone on that one

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You are saying A FIT Nietz, Schwarz, Lyon or Jakovich would not survive in today’s game

i am calling you a fool because you obviously didn’t see them play at their peak. 
i doubt i am alone on that one

I did, but the game has changed, Lyon averaged 1.53 tackles in his career, if he did that now, Demonland would be on his throat for not being defensive enough

Again the game has changed, I know you don't like to think it has, but it has

Wayne Carey has said the same thing, players are for their time

16 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

For the sake of the rest of us, please stop quoting Saty. Thanks. 

You don't have to read them, of course you could try and enter the debate, there is always a first time for everything

Just trying to get a couple of posters to back up their opinions, hang on, isn't that what a forum should be

I personally think the Club has handled the pile of [censored] handed to them on Saturday morning as well as they could

Can't see anything relevant that Pert or Bartlett could add

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I did, but the game has changed, Lyon averaged 1.53 tackles in his career, if he did that now, Demonland would be on his throat for not being defensive enough

Again the game has changed, I know you don't like to think it has, but it has

Wayne Carey has said the same thing, players are for their time

And those 4 players you Denigrated, i am sure could train for the modern game. 
They had NATURAL talent that todays players could only dream of

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And those 4 players you Denigrated, i am sure could train for the modern game. 
They had NATURAL talent that todays players could only dream of

Not sure it is worth arguing the point as there is clearly a lack of understanding of the game and the attributes of those players...all four of them would be genuine be stars in today's game

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Not sure it is worth arguing the point as there is clearly a lack of understanding of the game and the attributes of those players...all four of them would be genuine be stars in today's game

Yes I don't think it needs anymore. Quite humorous really....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

Throw in Sean Wight,  if saty approves of his tackling.?

• Like 1

Its a silly argument. Lyon, Nietz and Schwarz would need to adapt to play the modern game according to game plan and team values, but they were smart enough and athletic enough to manage that as well as anyone from their era. Jakovich ain't chasing anyone, and he may not fit into the modern game plan, however, he would still manufacture 10 shots at goal a game!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Throw in Sean Wight,  if saty approves of his tackling.?

I know your post is in jest but the tackling debate he attempted to use is ridiculous. In 1995 the average tackles per game was 27.7, last season the average was 62.6. Saty is trolling, simple. 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Gary Ablett Senior -  0.8 tackles per game for his career

Would be the best player in the league by a mile if he was playing now.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I know your post is in jest but the tackling debate he attempted to use is ridiculous. In 1995 the average tackles per game was 27.7, last season the average was 62.6. Saty is trolling, simple. 

Sean Wight would leave today's tacklers in their own dust.

I cannot think of any today ET,  who would come near his tenacity to bring a man down.   trolls or not.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian
  • Like 1

Imagine Robbie Flower after being in the gym for three years, he would definitely fit in today's game easily.

Carey's talking [censored].

• Like 1

I'll try and get back on track after Saty has lost the plot. What concerns me is the seniors only beat the reserves by a goal. Our reserves are strong but not that strong. It should have been a 5 goal victory at least. I expect a lot of the senior players weren't trying their hardest and saving it up for the Geelong but they must play a lot better to beat Geelong after a loss.

How do all you experts know that past players would fit in today, the game has changed

Except on Demonland where the past is relived over and over again and no modern player can hold a candle to all those premiership winning  giants from the last 50 odd years

I really don't think there is a lot of modern footy IQ on show in some of the posts

Personally the only player I think could possibly play is Jim Stynes

It is now more than ever a team game

Lyon, Neitz were great players when they played, footy was different

9 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'll try and get back on track after Saty has lost the plot. What concerns me is the seniors only beat the reserves by a goal. Our reserves are strong but not that strong. It should have been a 5 goal victory at least. I expect a lot of the senior players weren't trying their hardest and saving it up for the Geelong but they must play a lot better to beat Geelong after a loss.

It was a practice game were players changed sides through the course of the game, hopefully something they won't do against Geelong

I rest my case

i reckon garry lyon would be a big-bodied mid a la fyfe / cripps / dangerfield in the modern game

neitz would be a classic stay at home defender, and schwarz would be (pre-ox) just as exciting as he was in his pomp

jakovich would have to be a helluva fitter in modern times, but his nearest equivalent would probably be stevie johnson? and even he has been retired for nearly five years

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

You were there and the footy department told you exactly what they were working on, lucky you

• Haha 1

I still reckon Neitz, Lyon, pre knee David Schwarze and Robbie Flower would still easily get games in today's modern game. The beauty about those guys were that they were all super athletic. Lyon and Neitz especially could just about play anywhere. In fact I think in today's game Lyon would could easily play midfield whereas Neitz is your classic Mr Fix it at both end.

Flower would still just be an out and out gun dashing through the wings. He is exactly what we need right now.

Before he did his knee Schwarze was ridiculously athletic for such a big guy. He would easily slot into that CHF role quite easy.

Jackovich only problem that would hold him back imo would be the fitness demands. We are hearing players clock up around the 14 or 15km per game. Someone mentioned Stevie Johnson before, a good comparison as he was someone who was just naturally freakish.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I still reckon Neitz, Lyon, pre knee David Schwarze and Robbie Flower would still easily get games in today's modern game. The beauty about those guys were that they were all super athletic. Lyon and Neitz especially could just about play anywhere. In fact I think in today's game Lyon would could easily play midfield whereas Neitz is your classic Mr Fix it at both end.

Flower would still just be an out and out gun dashing through the wings. He is exactly what we need right now.

Before he did his knee Schwarze was ridiculously athletic for such a big guy. He would easily slot into that CHF role quite easy.

Jackovich only problem that would hold him back imo would be the fitness demands. We are hearing players clock up around the 14 or 15km per game. Someone mentioned Stevie Johnson before, a good comparison as he was someone who was just naturally freakish.

Absolutely. Its beyond ridiculous to suggest that players with such talent wouldn't thrive in today's game, assuming of course they had the drive and desire to do the increased training loads modern players have to do. And how many players of the that ilk do not have the drive and desire to do what is required?  

In fact if i was to pick four dees players from the time i've followed footy who would thrive in today's game i would struggle to go past  Flower, Shwartz, Lyon and Neitz (in that order). Stynes would be in the discussion too, as would Stretch, the Wiz and Lovett.  

Footy has circled back to needing great wingers and Robbie was the greatest of the modern wingers (apologies to Wood, Shimma and Greig). Flower would be like a Hill or Jetta. But better as he could go forward and be like Fritter. Or even play off the half back if needed (what were you thinking barrassi!)

As you say Lyon could play anywhere, including the middle. I reckon he is probably the same height as Bontempelli. Image Lyon streaming out of the centre hitting up a leading forward. But his best position now would be high half forward, with a licence to roam up the ground like Melksham or how we will play Bennell. His frame, build and athleticism (he was terrific runner at school - he was the year above me at Melbourne High) would be perfect for today's footy. And he wouldn't be smashed week in, week out trying to play at CHF.

Neita bulked up to play as a key forward but if he played now he wouldn't and would be an out and out star (who none the less would go though periods where he simply couldn't mark!). Hogan would be a good comparison.

The Ox. Forget about it. Easily the most talented footballer outside Robbie i have ever seen before he did his first knee injury. If he had remained uninjured he would have rivaled Carey and in fact would be a better fit for the modern game because he was more athletic. Would be the best player in the league right now.

The other thing is that if the Ox played now they would have fixed his knee properly after that first injury and he would have a better chance of getting back to his best and certainly have been less likely to do it again. My son plays basketball, as does his and i ran into him in Geelong earlier this year before a game and we had a chat. Top bloke. He played a lot of basketball and he said he was close to pursuing it. We talked about injury and he said he never had a single injury playing basketball. He also said that his first knee surgery screwed him completely and could never move laterally or jump properly after it. 

The query for Jackovich would be his application to training. But lets say he had that desire he would be a phenomenon now, just as he was when he played. Small forward lines are suddenly in vogue now and he is arguably the best medium forward in the last 40 years. Certainly on goals per game. The  modern equivalent would be Stringer at his very, very best and De Goey. 

The other thing all five players have that elevate them and set them apart in today's game is brilliant kicking skills. Everyone of them elite. And two sided. What i would give to have five players with that skill level in our team at the moment.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Did the commentators talk about Schwarz's basketball background every possession like they do Pendlebury?

• Haha 1