Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Melbourne vs Essendon Postponed



Recommended Posts


2 hours ago, Ungarieboy said:

Did I read the Melbourne practice match was being televised, if so where?

I hope so. I've woken up really flat knowing every other club have played their required games and we have to [censored] miss out.

Even if this intra club is being streamed then [censored] that'll still do it for me!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"of course it was him" was my first response. The bloke is home sick, doesn't want to be here, and has said he'll leave end of year to go back home. Just here to see out contract and get $$ - I feel for him in this pandemic situation in wanting to be home, but he's the first candidate for being the one to not give a [censored] about the AFL season being postponed or cancelled. And not a surprise was had when he tested positive.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure why we are being penalised for Essendon’s infraction. 

 We should be given the forfeit. 

 Why should our other matches be compromised by shorter breaks to accommodate Essendon & the AFL. 

 Guaranteed we will be worse off than the Bombers once the next installment of the draw comes out. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

This locks it in now to being  preparation for individuals and team systems 'in game' to get a clear run for 2021...I'd dare say all other teams have that focus now too. 

I've had that feeling ever since the season was disrupted, shortened games etc.  I know other have said a flags a flag, but even if we somehow stumbled over the line and won the premiership, it would feel like a hollow rubbish one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I've had that feeling ever since the season was disrupted, shortened games etc.  I know other have said a flags a flag, but even if we somehow stumbled over the line and won the premiership, it would feel like a hollow rubbish one.

Especially if we can’t be there to see it. Would feel like a night/preseason comp win. Asterisk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Not sure why we are being penalised for Essendon’s infraction. 

 We should be given the forfeit. 

 Why should our other matches be compromised by shorter breaks to accommodate Essendon & the AFL. 

 Guaranteed we will be worse off than the Bombers once the next installment of the draw comes out. 

Im confused: is the mid season or r24 bye a penalty? This idea of forfeiture for 4 points over a week rest is wishful thinking.

The only forfeiture I'm hoping for is WCE sooking and throwing in the towel for '20 over the hub/border situation and gifting all 17 clubs 4 points (us retrospective r1 points)

Edited by John Demonic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Can someone tell me why Dwayne Russell implied a couple of times tonight that the Melbourne v Geelong (in addition to the Essendon V Carlton game) game next week is in doubt?

What’s McKenna’s positive test got to with us, in terms of next week,  considering all other games are going ahead for the time being.

Essendon's game next week could be in serious doubt though, particularly if another of their players were to test positive to either corona ... or peptides.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Essendon's game next week could be in serious doubt though, particularly if another of their players were to test positive to either corona or peptides.

I think the nature of the testing potentials for error means that game is in doubt, irrespective if all players have negative results in next 5 days.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d like to hear our President make a little bit of noise about this. 

Can you imagine Eddie’s response if their game had been postponed because of their opposition?

He’d go ape [censored] and demand the 4 points. 

He wouldn’t put up with a compromised draw especially when no other teams are on the same level playing field. [Obviously ignoring the leg up they already get by not traveling as much as other teams and playing on the MCG most weeks.]

Time for our leadership to grow some balls and stand up for us. 

Edited by Kelpien
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

The only forfeiture I'm hoping for is WCE sooking and throwing in the towel for '20 over the hub/border situation and gifting all 17 clubs 4 points (us retrospective r1 points)

Mark my words. We’d get screwed out of those 4 points too. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Im confused: is the mid season or r24 bye a penalty? This idea of forfeiture for 4 points over a week rest is wishful thinking.

The only forfeiture I'm hoping for is WCE sooking and throwing in the towel for '20 over the hub/border situation and gifting all 17 clubs 4 points (us retrospective r1 points)

Do we even know if there is a mid season bye or even a break before finals in this shortened season?

 Also who knows how many matches Essendon will have to postpone as a result causing us to have shorter breaks at some point when most other teams won’t be penalised in the same way. 

 Remember we’ve done nothing wrong here and we could be punished as a result. 

 We also lose all our momentum from our win last week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is going to be multiple byes throughout the season to accommodate teams moving back to WA and SA. I would say it’s likely we will play the dons after the swans.


They may have a few weeks with no WCE or Freo, and 4-5 games whilst new teams isolate in the WA or SA hubs.

It may not be fair now, but this season will have lots of swings and roundabouts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Do we even know if there is a mid season bye or even a break before finals in this shortened season?

 Also who knows how many matches Essendon will have to postpone as a result causing us to have shorter breaks at some point when most other teams won’t be penalised in the same way. 

 Remember we’ve done nothing wrong here and we could be punished as a result. 

 We also lose all our momentum from our win last week. 

Fair call. It's a [censored] shambles currently. So we don't know, but i still think it's wishfull thinking. Gils said it's a 170 or so game season, not a 17 round season, so we just hope it evens out when next blocks are announced, and we have some 5-6 day turnarounds and deal with it. Better than playing 4-6 games in soapy confition in qld 

However, maybe an additional point to @Kelpien I'm no history buff, but it seems the 4pt forfeiture is a very non VFL/AFL phenomenon in my 30 years watching. Not like NRL where they took premierships off teams. We never stripped anything for salary cap breaches. Crime pays. Even when EFC were disqualified in 2013 from finals, youd think they'd need to apply an equalisation to redistribute points to teams that lost to them. But then there were double up games, so it's mathematically complicated. Fines and draft picks is about as far as the AFL is prepared to go.

Edited by John Demonic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.afl.com.au/news/455279/barrett-random-fixture-on-cards-after-conor-s-covid-test

Looks like we will just play our round 3 later in the year. With ess v Carl and us v Geelong to go ahead as normal next weekend. 

I'm sorry but this is complete BS. Yes there is ambiguity over when this irregular test came back but the fact is HE WAS at their club and in contact with staff and players after a irregular test. Be it for a training session or just for 20 minutes, he was there. This is essendons problem now, they will need to self isolate for 14 days (how can they not?!) Tough pill to swallow but for the comp and their fans but they need to forfeit until they can show clean tests on all players and staff 14 days from now. 

This would be a different story if they did the right thing and make Connor self isolate as soon as the irregular test came back. But they pushed the boundaries let him train (or hang out at the club for 20 minutes) potentially infecting many. 

Sorry Essendon you [censored] up again. Price you pay for incompetence.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, GCDee said:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/455279/barrett-random-fixture-on-cards-after-conor-s-covid-test

Looks like we will just play our round 3 later in the year. With ess v Carl and us v Geelong to go ahead as normal next weekend. 

I'm sorry but this is complete BS. Yes there is ambiguity over when this irregular test came back but the fact is HE WAS at their club and in contact with staff and players after a irregular test. Be it for a training session or just for 20 minutes, he was there. This is essendons problem now, they will need to self isolate for 14 days (how can they not?!) Tough pill to swallow but for the comp and their fans but they need to forfeit until they can show clean tests on all players and staff 14 days from now. 

This would be a different story if they did the right thing and make Connor self isolate as soon as the irregular test came back. But they pushed the boundaries let him train (or hang out at the club for 20 minutes) potentially infecting many. 

Sorry Essendon you [censored] up again. Price you pay for incompetence.

 

I hate to defend Essendon but they didnt let him hang around for 20mins after they got the result.  He was there for 20 mins before the result arrived, then was told to bugger off home.  So we are told, though we're not told who he is living with etc. as yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sue said:

I hate to defend Essendon but they didnt let him hang around for 20mins after they got the result.  He was there for 20 mins before the result arrived, then was told to bugger off home.  So we are told, though we're not told who he is living with etc. as yet.

If that's really the case, why isnt the protocol to wait until the test results come back before allowing anyone into the club. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Especially if we can’t be there to see it. Would feel like a night/preseason comp win. Asterisk.

I'm starting to think that might be harsh on a pre season comp, it would feel to me like a lightening premiership at juniors level.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...