Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne vs Essendon Postponed

57 minutes ago, JTR said:

If you were sitting in your car when it was raining which would get you more wet?

Window most of the way up (supermarket screen) or window all the way down (no screen)?

it's not the best way to protect the staff nor the customer.   Masks surpass those screens, by acuntry mile.

If they don’t deem all the Essendon players he had a contact training with ‘close contacts’ I would be a bit perplexed. 

If they say they are not isn’t it basically saying you are ok to play a game of footy if you have the virus. I am sure they train with a lot of body contact - surely they will all have to quarantine.

Some powers at work here trying to minimise the damage. I wouldn’t want to be playing against them in the next month.  Unless they deem playing footy is safe of course by making them all not quarantine. 

We were meant to play Fremantle on the weekend. And GWS last week. 

I think the sensible thing would be to hand us the points and move on, but then every other team has a gripe that we had a free win through the luck of the draw. And what happens if we miss out on the 8 by percentage? 

Season is compromised. It will become more compromised. But the notion that we've been put out to the point of exception because we happened to draw Essendon in a rejigged fixture doesn't play out across the board.

We might get lucky that we played WC in round 1 and escape a WA bubble. Teams will be lucky or unlucky. I actually feel for West Coast but they'll probably get the benefits back two-fold. The season is meaningless.

I'm going to take Max's lead. Frustrating, but you move on and front up to the next challenge. More games are better than less. And if we go anywhere it will be even more satisfying that we overcame the disadvantages. 

Go Dees. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Skuit said:

We were meant to play Fremantle on the weekend. And GWS last week. 

I think the sensible thing would be to hand us the points and move on, but then every other team has a gripe that we had a free win through the luck of the draw. And what happens if we miss out on the 8 by percentage? 

Season is compromised. It will become more compromised. But the notion that we've been put out to the point of exception because we happened to draw Essendon in a rejigged fixture doesn't play out across the board.

We might get lucky that we played WC in round 1 and escape a WA bubble. Teams will be lucky or unlucky. I actually feel for West Coast but they'll probably get the benefits back two-fold. The season is meaningless.

I'm going to take Max's lead. Frustrating, but you move on and front up to the next challenge. More games are better than less. And if we go anywhere it will be even more satisfying that we overcame the disadvantages. 

Go Dees. 

Agree. Would prefer that we didn’t play Dons this week, than play them next week (even undermanned) if there’s a chance they could infect our team. 
Imagine the response if the AFL green light the Dons vs Blues or Pies clashes and those clubs get infections as a result... 

Would be a slow motion car crash of epic proportions. 

This season is more in the hands of the footy gods than any previous season, and Maxy’s approach of not complaining, staying flexible and moving on to the next challenge is all we can do...

and pray the footy gods are smiling on us. :)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

Shocked that Robbo, an Essendon fan, would take this position. 

I reckon if teams lose a line due to a positive test and they have 26 players available (22 + emergencies) they must play, as it;

a) provides an incentive for players and clubs to follow protocol and be vigilant.

b) keeps games going by maximising the chance of all teams playing 17 games each.

If a team loses multiple lines but follow protocol then the game should be postponed to a later date  however if they lose multiple lines as a result of the club not following protocol, e.g. not isolating a player who tests positive, then I reckon they should forfeit the points for the game(s) they cannot field a team.

I think we need to accept that the competition will be somewhat compromised but if we are good enough we can win the premiership.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Agree. Would prefer that we didn’t play Dons this week, than play them next week (even undermanned) if there’s a chance they could infect our team. 
Imagine the response if the AFL green light the Dons vs Blues or Pies clashes and those clubs get infections as a result... 

Would be a slow motion car crash of epic proportions. 

I personally don't think there's a huge risk of contagion (my personal assumptive feelings don't count) but run a simple risk-reward-consequence analysis and it's a no-brainer the Dons should be stood down. Whether they forfeit or are accommodated to some degree, whatever. The former would be my decision in an already wildly compromised season. 

But right now I feel Gil is setting up a giant sword for him to fall on in his eagerness to push on. I haven't been paying a great deal of attention but the political reprisals of the Ruby Princess provides a pretty good example. Should Covid spread through Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood the season will be over and Gil will have a future date with the Senate. 

• Like 1

Robbo was a disgrace on 360 tonight. 
apparently players are allowed to open house inspections?? And McKenna has not broken any rules despite visiting friends and family. 
AND he defended him training when they knew he had a questionable test. 
AND he thinks it’s compromised for the cheats to play without 8 players. 

such biased nonsense. I know it’s not a shock but still I was shocked

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DubDee said:

apparently players are allowed to open house inspections?? And McKenna has not broken any rules despite visiting friends and family. 

Defended them to the death during the drug cheating saga too.  Should have lost his job then.

Edited by TheKozzieExperience
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DubDee said:

He is unable to put his bias aside when talking about Essendon he might as well be wearing his Terry daniher duffel coat

What is more of a disgrace is Whately not pulling him up on it

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DubDee said:

HaHaHa. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e474946d3a8979c1980a6

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

How can Slobbo defend a player training with a Team, when he has already given a dodgy reading, that turns out to be positive....Connor should have been at home waiting for a Phone call

This idiot should be removed from the Media once for all. 
it should have happened once he defended Jab’s 2012 Brownlow....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

IF the Bombers knew it was a possibility he was infected and still proceeded to have him at training while waiting on results of a secondary test, then they should be forced to forfeit. 

Why should we be punished for their mistake?

No - the next thing that happens is that they’ll play it down or deny it altogether. They won’t be punished because it would be a bad look for the AFL so expect a whitewash.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Robbo makes perfect sense if it's 8pm and you assume he's been at the pub since 11am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

No - the next thing that happens is that they’ll play it down or deny it altogether. They won’t be punished because it would be a bad look for the AFL so expect a whitewash.  

Interesting to hear both yourself and Andy quite disgruntled on the matter. Where's @Nasher

2 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Well remember when the story first broke it was that he was asymptomatic. Until of course channel 7 produced footage suggesting the opposite. They've been trying to dodge and dive since the very beginning.

I thought of something else unfair to get annoyed about. Were the fresh training restrictions due to McKenna's positive test or the spike in Victoria in general? Because the impact of those guidelines is likely to vary depending on playing style - such that harder contested teams like us are put out more than precision or fast running teams like . . . 

I don’t think they should force Essendon to play but rather give them the option to play or simply forfeit the points.

Its only 5 players that will be quarantined, and you can have that with a gastro outbreak for gods sake 

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 2

Does the article mention if any coaches are to be quarantined?

In the vision from their training the other day along with the coughing and splattering McKenna is also seen spitting into his hands for ‘grip’ and putting his arms around a coach in a drill seconds later. 

Well, most players are seen doing this during games then tackling blokes but we can’t have contact at full training?? 

• Like 1

The Age is reporting that:  "...the weights session shouldn't be an issue for players potentially contracting COVID-19. According to Essendon, all eight players were socially distanced, wiped gym equipment in between sets and were careful not to complete exercises that would require a teammate to spot them, such as weighted squats or the bench press".

Isn't the criteria for indoor 'close contact' being in the same room for 15 minutes?  Fair chance that any droplets could easily transfer from McKenna to other players or equipment.  And, he only needed to not clean one weight for it to spread to the other seven players in that weight room.

If McKenna broke the covid rules outside the club, what confidence is there he followed them inside the club as he has a history of ignoring club rules eg when he went to Ireland for a holiday last year and didn't tell the club. 

Seriously, how can Ess be believed after the drugs saga.  They have a history of lying and 'losing' evidence.  They will say anything to save their skins if they didn't follow protocols and if it means quarantining players.

Didn't think I could hate them anymore than I did, but I do.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

Sorry can someone catch Emma up on something. Is there a suggestion that Essendon allowed him to train AFTER getting the irregular test? If that is the case then that’s disgraceful handling and we should be petitioning for the 4 points. 

If not I actually feel like they could’ve done a bit of a cheeky and postpone the game until mid week to assess if they could field a team, then make our game against the cats on Monday night. Definitely feels like we’re getting shafted with zero wrong doing in this case.