Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Weideman's Future?

Wrecker45

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Ask Goodwin why The Weid isn’t getting a game, i have given you my reasons, and that’s all they are. 
You just don’t like what i said

Jackson is in, the Weid kicks with the morning dew

If someone else had posted 'gift a top draft pick a few games' you would be ropable.

1 minute ago, Pates said:

Weid played well from his games vs WC in 2018 to the Hawks Final. 4 games in a row.

He played well against Jeelong, i don’t recall the rest being of the same level, but the whole team lifted in that period so i will take your word for it. 

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

If someone else had posted 'gift a top draft pick a few games' you would be ropable.

The Weid may well have been given a specific standard to reach you don’t know. 
I don’t mind Jackson getting a “taste” at all, IF he is still struggling in 2-3 weeks i will be asking questions.
As it is we are still wondering about the Weid 5 years in

There is a difference  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He played well against Jeelong, i don’t recall the rest being of the same level, but the whole team lifted in that period so i will take your word for it. 

I'm not going to say he set the world on fire the whole time, certainly Geelong was a level above, but the rest of the games he played his role well with very good patches.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

1-2 games for Jackson now is not going to harm him either way. 
But the Weid is 5 years into his career and has still not cemented his position, and this is at the same time TMac is struggling. 
Tells me the Weid is not doing as well as he could, OR the club want him to do his thing over a sustained period before he plays Seniors

When has the Weid played 2 good games in a row??

Gifting games to kids sets a terrible culture and is exactly the kind of thing we have said we are moving away from over the last 6 or 7 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

The Weid may well have been given a specific standard to reach you don’t know. 
I don’t mind Jackson getting a “taste” at all, IF he is still struggling in 2-3 weeks i will be asking questions.
As it is we are still wondering about the Weid 5 years in

There is a difference  

And Jackson wasn't given a standard to reach? Just another example of double standards then if you believe that.

SWYL happy to gift games to draftees, gee wiz 2020 is one wild ride.

Just now, Pates said:

I'm not going to say he set the world on fire the whole time, certainly Geelong was a level above, but the rest of the games he played his role well with very good patches.

That’s fair, but it was 2 years ago and he has done very little since at senior level.  
Missing that goal, to win the game up north last year didn’t help sadly

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

And Jackson wasn't given a standard to reach? Just another example of double standards then if you believe that.

SWYL happy to gift games to draftees, gee wiz 2020 is one wild ride.

Ring the Club, i am just giving my opinion 

The Weid is obviously not up to it at this point (if ever) or Goodwin is a fool

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Gifting games to kids sets a terrible culture and is exactly the kind of thing we have said we are moving away from over the last 6 or 7 years.

It’s only Round 3, if he is given games for the next 2-3 weeks without showing progress i will agree with you

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Rather than gifting games to Jackson maybe he just out trained the Weid over the 3 week block prior to Rnd 2. Perhaps he is given 3-4 games to settle in and find the pace of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why Jackson is getting games as Roos set up a culture of not gifting games to anyone let alone early draft picks. Understand no current vfl games but why is the Weid having to prove himself & not Jackson???

Neitz retired in 2008 and the club hasn’t be able to draft/develop another key forward since apart from Hogan who never really wanted to be here! 

4 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

One of two things are happening:

Either the Weid, somehow, has indicated his intention to be traded at the end of the year so we aren't bothering to play him, or we're making him really earn a spot back in the side.  Some might say that having Jackson, who hasn't set the world alight, in the side is a bit of a slap in the fact, but the bloke has been given his chances.  Perhaps they've told him that to hit some sort of benchmarks in games before they consider him for the senior side?

I've spoken to Weid, he said his hips were right and was wanted to play. The coaching group have lost faith in him.

5 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

I've spoken to Weid, he said his hips were right and was wanted to play. The coaching group have lost faith in him.

Yikes, did he say or imply that or give you that 'vibe'? Or more your opinion given the circumstances?

Starting to worry about how we're handling this young fella.

5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yikes, did he say or imply that or give you that 'vibe'? Or more your opinion given the circumstances?

Starting to worry about how we're handling this young fella.

He said his hips were good. 

I've read elsewhere on Demonland he is out of favour. The fact he kicked 5 on the weekend and isn't in the squad backs it up.

Edited by Wrecker45

7 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

He said his hips were good. 

I've read elsewhere on Demonland he is out of favour. The fact he kicked 5 on the weekend and isn't in the squad backs it up.

I agree with that. Did he seem flat to you when talking about it?

2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

They were questions. Are you saying my questions were negative? Was genuinely asking your impression.

Just what I have read on Demonland and he kicked 5 and is not named in the squad.

Just now, Lord Nev said:

I agree with that. Did he seem flat to you when talking about it?

It was before corona after the grand final and pretty late at night on Swan St. I think we were both pretty positive about everything. 

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

Not sure why Jackson is getting games as Roos set up a culture of not gifting games to anyone let alone early draft picks. Understand no current vfl games but why is the Weid having to prove himself & not Jackson???

Neitz retired in 2008 and the club hasn’t be able to draft/develop another key forward since apart from Hogan who never really wanted to be here! 

Roos is not here anymore It is irrelevant mostly to bring that Up.

i am getting more disappointed by what's happening and believe at some  stage very soon Weid must be given an opportunity to obtain a senior berth be it at CHB or CHF or FF or as  FPocket/2nd Ruck backup to Gawny.

I believe his best games have been as a ruck/forward and he needs to hit the scoreboard to get any credit by Coaches and fans alike.

If Maxy was injured and Preuss not fit Weid would no doubt selected in the No1 ruck role.

in the Marsh Cup he was very promising with nearly 20 disposals inc team role around the ground with some marks. That's why I favour this role as its best fir the team and Maxy as well.

Jacko could still be in the team if form warranted because of his mobility and competitive nature gaining valuable experience rather than linguish in the scrap games week after week.

Playing  Fritta at FF will only work on some occasions but not consistently  as he is not powerful enough in contests and needs to run around and create opportunities equally as well.

We have this year and next I think as Weid is contracted until next years end  to get it right. 

It's the biggest challenge of any player on our list and many of us ( and the FD and Coaches ) have only so much patience and confidence is so vital for him to succeed. Maybe a chat with a Wayne Carey or that ilk might help!!

14 minutes ago, JTR said:

How is it that many of the same people who criticise the club for gifting players games, are now getting into another tizzy when they don't? 

Demonland is so confusing sometimes.

Not me JTR 

Isn't this about the 3rd 'Concern' thread on the Weid in like 5 seasons?

Never really found his mojo or consistency up forward other than a bit of a purple patch in 2018 finals when the whole team finished the season on a roll.  But he did show something.

My concerns are... bit of a downhill skier that i haven't  seen stand up all that often when things aren't going so well?

Would still like to see him given a fair shake at it this season though before moving him on.  Might just be about to hit the maturity side that big men often take extra time to find.  Would want to make a big impact and hopefully has become  more mobile / ground worthy.  Bit of a mark and kick player that hasn't really added many other strings to his bow until now (consistently i mean...there's been glimpses & patches on the ground but mostly when the team's up and about).  Mind you if he can mark and kick straight consistently inside 50 from here then that would be a massive bonus up forward given recent returns on this side.

Lucifer knows he isn't alone in the KF conundrum that has seen a gaping hole in this area for us post 2018 when we had T-Mac in form out of the square and a very mobile marking CHF in the Hulk, roaming high, often intercepting the rebounds of the defence and very handy at ground level.  ALmost like an extra mid but also a VG mid - forward in that season.

Having lost Hulk and with T-Mac horribly out of form (niggles?) we've only seen brief cameos from the likes of Petty.  Petty has shown he can be a mobile marking goal kicking forward but alas...injury tends to lead to inconsistency and/or poor form in many cases.  Or in Petty's case...plenty of no shows.  Not saying Petty is the answer either but he was starting to show a bit of promise as a potential 2nd/3rd stringer and looking quite dangerous on occasions.

The FD's mission in 2020, should they choose to accept it, is to sort the mess out that is our KF horribilis in readiness to take things to another level (hopefully finals or better) in 2021, assuming we manage to get back to some sort of normality off and on the field Post ISO.

Lets hope the Weid can make a much needed impact during this season and get some value out of all the inside 50s that should be seeing us crunch most opponents but instead most of them are going to pot.  Must be a huge deflator for all those further up the field.  Conversely, seeing that effective forward on the move, marking and converting can be a massive incentive to get the ball to the right spots more often.

Hopefully he is given a fair stab at it as the season progresses (assuming he's earned it of course). Good luck Weids 

12 hours ago, loges said:

The only thing that has gone amiss with the Weid has been his lack of improvement since that elimination final. Having said that I did expect him to be selected this week. Can't see who is going to take contested marks up forward.

certainly not Tmac