Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Great coaching from Goody

Grimes Times

1 minute ago, John Demonic said:

It's a sci-fi footy novel that chronicles the journey of a young Paul Roos repaired Droid named Goody3000 on his journey to self awareness and mastery of a local sport on a planet in the Goldilocks zone of a star system in the milky way galaxy.

Of course!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demonstone said:

I thought he played full-back for Jerusalem.

I remember a sign in Hawthorn years ago 

something like

play him at FF and move PHudson to CHF

others can quote it I am sure

28 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I remember a sign in Hawthorn years ago 

something like

play him at FF and move PHudson to CHF

others can quote it I am sure

I am confident it was.

One of the minister's wrote on a black board outside a church in Hawthorn.

"What would you do If Jesus Christ came to hawthorn" Someone wrote underneath " Play Hudson at CHF" .

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, old dee said:

He is playing in the back line RN.

Happy new year Mr Old!  Wait.... maybe not that happy so far out in the lovely wide world at the moment but anyway :mahoney2:

You are saying Jackson is playing in the backline?

The man is an unacknowledged coaching genius. Who else would have thought to move Macca into the ruck or down to the backline? And how about the brilliant tactic of moving May onto Marc Pittonet for 10 minutes with the specific instruction to "rough him up"? And how about the brilliant mismatch he manufactured by placing Max in the forward pocket for 10 minutes in the third quarter? I mean this guy is clearly rewriting the global coaching handbook. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

It's a sci-fi footy novel that chronicles the journey of a young Paul Roos repaired Droid named Goody3000 on his journey to self awareness and mastery of a local sport on a planet in the Goldilocks zone of a star system in the milky way galaxy.

JD i feel like i'm reading a description that resembles my many decades of watching coaches start, try and fail at the MFC while being mostly under the influence watching the game from the bleaches.  At least the minor parts that i can remember before it became a blur of colour and noise anyway.

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Many things have to be trialled this year. It is a great opportunity for Goodwin to bring out the competitive beast in the boys to elicit the exacting complexities of his mantra and its purpose - and for the boys to relish in the challenge so dictated by the coach for the glory of the Premiership Cup and the mystic Hope Eternal.

Goody knew what he was doing - it just took us a while to catch on to his dream (about three days, actually). All is forgiven, now. He can continue to motor happily in his new sponsored Jaguar as an erstwhile Royal might,.

Now that he has implemented the 'wipe your backside and hang in there' strategy ... ffs' (otherwise known as 'Goody Footy 101', we don't have to do that trick ever again (thank Heavens). Just cannot wait for the surprises and the gross advantages of Goody's revised mental toil and get a glimpse of his even newer arsenal of tricks against Essendon, next match. It will go down in history as 'Goody Footy 201'. 'Bound to be a crowd pleaser!

Not sure I grasp entirely what you're getting at, but I hope You're right.

21 hours ago, Farmer said:

Mate, read what recently retired players, Lewis, Vince etc, or present assistant coaches say, notably that the players love playing for Goodwin

Lewis & Vince were in the choccy box & played most weeks whether they deserved to or not.

Ask Spargo, Lockhart, Hore, Petty, Hannan, Preuss, Jordan, Sparrow, Dunkley, Chandler & the Wagners what they think of Goody......Wouldn't have thought there would be a lot of love there.

1 hour ago, Rusty Nails said:

Happy new year Mr Old!  Wait.... maybe not that happy so far out in the lovely wide world at the moment but anyway :mahoney2:

You are saying Jackson is playing in the backline?

No Harmes is playing in the back line

On 6/15/2020 at 12:31 PM, KingDingAling said:

The players either need to show they are willing to really play for their coach, or the coach needs to go. Really p*ss poor effort for most the game on the weekend, against the worst team in the comp, not even nearly good enough. Buck stops at the coach.

Bloodyhell, when are the players going to take some responsibility,  in another three coaches time???  Not sure about you but I'll  be probably dead by then.

2 hours ago, old dee said:

No Harmes is playing in the back line

Thanks for clarifying OD.   Bit slow on that one.  Yes this is true and should've been playing a lock down on Cripps in the first or 2nd half which would have helped Clarry to up the ante a little and might have helped with his stamina also imo.

12 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Thanks for clarifying OD.   Bit slow on that one.  Yes this is true and should've been playing a lock down on Cripps in the first or 2nd half which would have helped Clarry to up the ante a little and might have helped with his stamina also imo.

Don''t we want Clarrie to become an accountable Midfielder.

Tell me how that will happen,  while someone else is wiping his bum for him.?

Same with Brayshaw.

And Petracca... they all have to have an opponent, and cover them off defensively.  Otherwise they are not playing team footy.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian

21 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

The number of players that come to Melbourne now because of Goody speaks volumes.

With all due respect, the claim that players are coming to play for Melbourne because of Goodwin needs to be substantiated. I have never heard that reason mentioned by any player in public before, and I’m struggling to think of why any player would actively seek to be coached by somebody without any major (coaching) achievements to their name, and who’s team is not exactly setting the league on fire. 

I’m not saying that he’s necessarily repelling players, but attracting them? 

Nah. 

3 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Don''t we want Clarrie to become an accountable Midfielder.

Tell me how that will happen,  while someone else is wiping his bum for him.?

Same with Brayshaw.

And Petracca... they all have to have an opponent, and cover them off defensively.  Otherwise they are not playing team footy.

Accountable yes but "tagging" the opp's best and being accountable on your direct opponent who isn't, are worlds apart imv.

22 hours ago, old dee said:

The results of the last two would suggest Carlton have nearly as much talent as us. 2019 we fell in by 9 points after Carlton kicked poorly. This year we fell in by 1 point after Carlton kicked poorly. Both games we played better in the first half and they in the second half. Nothing about those two match ups tells me we have a better list. Last year we finished second last, we won 5 games last year they won 7. This year? Let's see at season's end.

disagree. we were at our lowest and when the game was on last year we bullied them. they were very lucky to get close.

agreed this time they should have won but didn't. they were a lot older

I’ve been with Goody from the start. I can see his qualities as a coach, and they’re the ones I think are important in contemporary football. I don’t always agree with his decisions but I can also recognise the logic in certain ones.

Something I have failed to properly understand but which I think he does is that we are still in the process of a rebuild, due to the depths that we fell into in the past and the longer-term structural issues around our list that it has caused. That’s why he continues to act as if in teaching mode.

Jones
TMac
Melksham
Jetta

One might be forgiven for thinking that was a list of our bottom four players on the weekend, whereas it’s our four most experienced players. The next two in line – May had a stinker and Hibberd was dropped. I’m afraid four of those six may be just about done.

If we can’t get consistent input from senior players then our rebuild has a few more years to run yet. Take a look at the AFLCA votes for example and you will see 150+game players almost across the board. We have a crew of 80-game players carrying our team.

This is a serious generational issue, and it’s a difficult one to address and manage. Goody has to find a way to bridge the gap between ailing seniority and the development of youngsters while building a winning culture. Thus juggling to find a way to manage the short- and long-term.

Through that lens, you can maybe see why Harmes is at half-back. Jones is the most damaging forward among our midfield group and looked promising in the pre-season. A few extra goals from Harmes across a season is hardly going to make a difference to our fortunes. 

You can appreciate perhaps why Jackson was drafted and selected early if you think or were aware that TMac’s body is shot. We desperately need to blood this kid now. Goodwin already pulled the trigger on one senior player for a debutante in Rivers. It seems to have paid off.

Calling for the heads of senior players is all good and fine, but that can breed cultural issues and then we also have a bunch of 80-gamers leading the new kids on field. Those complaining about Goodwin and culture probably also complained about James McDonald being let go.

Firing Goodwin is a bad path, and it probably can’t be done now anyway. He’s grappling with the same issues that we are on here. How to get something out of TMac and Jones? How to forward-plan for our KPFs? Should Meksham or Jetta be dropped? What are the repercussions?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Accountable yes but "tagging" the opp's best and being accountable on your direct opponent who isn't, are worlds apart imv.

Other than the Ruckman,  we have 3 Midfielders available inside.

IF we are to continue to develop our mid-field to become one of the best,  which it isn't yet.   Then we need to be able to have our players play direct against their opponents.  Not tagging them,  but to be on them, when we don't have the footy.

The young midfielders have to run 2 ways.   Offensively;  and defensively, in support of our team.

What they have been doing over the past 3 years,  is not good enough.

Disposal stats are Not enough,  and a waste if they do not hit our targets.  And worse if the ball rebounds out and they hit their targets. 

Our big name mids are letting the team down being lazy.   They just have to run harder,  or we should find others who will.

No more canine-tails,  wagging our Dog.   That is our old failed,  Demon brand.

12 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I’ve been with Goody from the start. I can see his qualities as a coach, and they’re the ones I think are important in contemporary football. I don’t always agree with his decisions but I can also recognise the logic in certain ones.

Something I have failed to properly understand but which I think he does is that we are still in the process of a rebuild, due to the depths that we fell into in the past and the longer-term structural issues around our list that it has caused. That’s why he continues to act as if in teaching mode.

Jones
TMac
Melksham
Jetta

One might be forgiven for thinking that was a list of our bottom four players on the weekend, whereas it’s our four most experienced players. The next two in line – May had a stinker and Hibberd was dropped. I’m afraid four of those six may be just about done.

If we can’t get consistent input from senior players then our rebuild has a few more years to run yet. Take a look at the AFLCA votes for example and you will see 150+game players almost across the board. We have a crew of 80-game players carrying our team.

This is a serious generational issue, and it’s a difficult one to address and manage. Goody has to find a way to bridge the gap between ailing seniority and the development of youngsters while building a winning culture. Thus juggling to find a way to manage the short- and long-term.

Through that lens, you can maybe see why Harmes is at half-back. Jones is the most damaging forward among our midfield group and looked promising in the pre-season. A few extra goals from Harmes across a season is hardly going to make a difference to our fortunes. 

You can appreciate perhaps why Jackson was drafted and selected early if you think or were aware that TMac’s body is shot. We desperately need to blood this kid now. Goodwin already pulled the trigger on one senior player for a debutante in Rivers. It seems to have paid off.

Calling for the heads of senior players is all good and fine, but that can breed cultural issues and then we also have a bunch of 80-gamers leading the new kids on field. Those complaining about Goodwin and culture probably also complained about James McDonald being let go.

Firing Goodwin is a bad path, and it probably can’t be done now anyway. He’s grappling with the same issues that we are on here. How to get something out of TMac and Jones? How to forward-plan for our KPFs? Should Meksham or Jetta be dropped? What are the repercussions?

interesting take. What disappoints me so far this season is we are still unorganized, especially down back. I actually think up forward we had decent kicking to position etc but we were just beaten by Carltons defence. Weitering was fist class.

But down back after 3 years we still don't seem to be organised. How can this be ? I will giv ite a few more weeks as Rivers is new and May / Lever need a bit more time but I expect this to improve.

If we had an organised backline we would be hard to beat. and thats a coaching problem.

10 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Finally someone who has caught on.

I've been banging on about this for the past couple of years,  since when Maxy was already a  26Yrs old.

30 minutes ago, Skuit said:

This is a juggling act:   to maintain enough wins to keep supporters happy,  and senior players engaged in the process of developing and building the list whilst still busting a gut.

Here is the list of players,  the current 28Yr olds +  senior leaders  >

nJones...  32Yrs4Mts

Hibbo...  30Yrs5Mts

nJetta...  30Yrs4Mts

mBrown...  29Yrs9Mts 

jMelksham...  28Yrs9Mts

mGawn...  28Yrs5Mts

sMay...  28Yrs5Mts

aVanDenBert...  28Yrs3Mts

tMac...  27Yrs8Mts

Here is a fair chunk,  (pardon pun) of our club leadership.

Last year was a truly lost year,  Re development,  and this year as well,  has all but disappeared;  so anyone with a longer-term view,  can see we need to get on with it,  bringing more players thru,  before all these boys are retired,  or on the slippery dip.

This year we have to bring more fresh faces into the team;  especially if clubs have to reduce list numbers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Here is the list of players,  the current 28Yr olds +  senior leaders  >

nJones...  32Yrs4Mts

Hibbo...  30Yrs5Mts

nJetta...  30Yrs4Mts

mBrown...  29Yrs9Mts 

jMelksham...  28Yrs9Mts

mGawn...  28Yrs5Mts

sMay...  28Yrs5Mts

aVanDenBert...  28Yrs3Mts

tMac...  27Yrs8Mts

Outside of the bolded the rest aren't likely to contribute to a flag (Melksham I don't know). If we get close it will depend on what the remainders contribute on the day of any given final. That is: they can't even be relied on to just fulfil a role.

I doubt any other club has a list of seniors that looks anything like this. And it dates back through multiple coaches. Bailey set out on a rebuild and we pulled the plug and went for another rebuild. By the time Roos came on board he had to stem the tide rather than set off on another complete rebuild, and so brought in some experience at the expense of additional young talent.

Compromised rebuilds. That rolls on to today. Fans are asking for it to happen again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Outside of the bolded the rest aren't likely to contribute to a flag (Melksham I don't know). If we get close it will depend on what the remainders contribute on the day of any given final. That is: they can't even be relied on to just fulfil a role.

I doubt any other club has a list of seniors that looks anything like this. And it dates back through multiple coaches. Bailey set out on a rebuild and we pulled the plug and went for another rebuild. By the time Roos came on board he had to stem the tide rather than set off on another complete rebuild, and so brought in some experience at the expense of additional young talent.

Compromised rebuilds. That rolls on to today. Fans are asking for it to happen again. 

That’s probably not the best way to look at it. Richmond didn’t do a full rebuild through the draft when Hardwick became coach, they instead built a team of largely mature ages (initially) around their core young-at-the-time players Cotchin, Martin etc, so there’s more than one way to rise up the ladder successfully instead of just going full youth.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Skuit said:

I doubt any other club has a list of seniors that looks anything like this. And it dates back through multiple coaches. Bailey set out on a rebuild and we pulled the plug and went for another rebuild.

I agree Sku.  And the club stuffed the recruiting worse than normal, and the development as well,  because they rushed the kids.  And chose  non-combative types.

54 minutes ago, Skuit said:

By the time Roos came on board he had to stem the tide rather than set off on another complete rebuild, and so brought in some experience at the expense of additional young talent.

I think PJ,  and Roosy new we would not go for a 3rd rebuild,  even tho we were still in rebuild mode,  but he wanted a season to see what we had,  and where we were in players attitudes,  and supporters resilience.

55 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Fans are asking for it to happen again. 

Who are asking for another rebuild.?   When we are still building,  haven't stopped since Roosy came over.

I guess  "the ReBuilds" ended,  when Roosy left us.   And the building work continues.

Just as we are still today,  and all the competition are doing.