Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Yze for Coach?

DEE fence

Are people just jumping on a band wagon out of frustration, or is there some sort of covert campaign on his behalf? I see more people name checking him in various posts and am curious.

I know nothing of Yze as a coach, it seems a pretty big call based on not alot of evidence.

That Yze was a top flight player is not in doubt, although I remember him going missing more than once as a player.

I look at Richmond and Collingwood who stuck fat with their coaches when everyone was losing, I'm not ready to bin Goodwhen yet and think it would be a backwards step, we're not losing players,  I like our recruiting and our style was forced to change alot with 6/6/6. Yes I would like to see the magnets move a bit more. I actually thought the team changes for this round were fair considering those tossed were all guilty of bombing it.

So anyway can one of his boosters please explain why Yze is some sort of messiah, or it Bruce or maybe Robertson?

• Like 2

Regarding Yze, he’s popular as an ex-player and he has spent a long time in the Clarkson system. I agree that these are two very superficial elements which have little to no bearing on whether he would be a good coach. 

Richmond and Collingwood had poor seasons under their respective coaches, however, nowhere near the uncompetitive swill of 2019. It’s not a direct shot at the OP because there are plenty of others who use the Richmond/Collingwood example. What if we’re more like Freo? They were bundled out of a prelim, came back underdone and had their game plan found out, and spent the following season near the bottom. They stuck fat with a coach whose message wore thin with playing group and spent four meandering seasons  araldited to the bottom six before hiring a rookie coach and starting again. Or perhaps our situation is uniquely our own and deserves to be resolved using factors relevant to Melbourne in 2020  (not Richmond 2016, Collingwood 2017, Freo 2015 and so on)? 

Criticism of Goodwin and the broader football department is growing increasingly legitimate. We are no longer a developing side on the rebuild from oblivion. We have a core of players who are mature in an experience sense but they haven’t been able to shake off the horrible inconsistency and volatile performances despite many of them pushing into what should be prime realty. I struggle to think of a team in the league that has such a gaping chasm between their best and worst. Our performances at the MCG under Goodwin have also been poor. We have a structure that is easily exploited and a fragile playing group that is seemingly going backwards at a rate of knots. These are all things that (rightly or wrongly) get sheeted home to the coach. 

All that said, I hope I’m proven wrong by Goodwin but I fear I will not be. The reality is given our poor financial position off of the back of last year, rolled into COVID-19, rolled further into Gary Pert’s sweetheart deal for Goodwin that we won’t be sacking him unless there is a massive member/sponsor (possibly player) uprising. 

In summary: Yze is flavour of the month; our situation is pretty distant from that of Richmond/Collingwood; Goodwin deserves a lot of the criticism directed at him; and it’s only because we’re in a mess of our making that he isn’t under more pressure. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So basically we are an Italian motorcycle looking for a German mechanic?

On a serious note, no finals this year and I would seriously assess who is available as head coach, and not be troubled if the club said no thanks to Goodwhen.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Are people just jumping on a band wagon out of frustration, or is there some sort of covert campaign on his behalf? I see more people name checking him in various posts and am curious.

I know nothing of Yze as a coach, it seems a pretty big call based on not alot of evidence.

That Yze was a top flight player is not in doubt, although I remember him going missing more than once as a player.

To answer your main question: MFC had a big dip at recruiting Yze to the coaching panel at the end of 2019 and almost succeeded. Hawks managed to keep him despite our best efforts.

He started under Clarkson maybe 6 years ago as skills/kicking coach. Last year he was elevated to game day strategy. TV vision strongly suggested he was Clarkson's main game day confidant. 

It's not just emotion that causes people to want him back although that does not hurt. It's the fact of where he has been and what he has learned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

So basically we are an Italian motorcycle looking for a German mechanic?

On a serious note, no finals this year and I would seriously assess who is available as head coach, and not be troubled if the club said no thanks to Goodwhen.

I'm of the same opinion, if things don't change. We simply cannot risk missing finals in 2021 by sticking with him and writing the year off and having to do a mid season sacking anyway. A 2 year payout would be hard to take, but bouncing back with a new coach would invigorate the fans (Roosurrection days) and a fresh new style might see us bring in more people to the games, and making a surprise finals surge would reap profits that would make a payout palatable. A big 15 games ahead.

Edited by John Demonic

56 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

I'm of the same opinion, if things don't change. We simply cannot risk missing finals in 2021 by sticking with him and writing the year off and having to do a mid season sacking anyway. A 2 year payout would be hard to take, but bouncing back with a new coach would invigorate the fans (Roosurrection days) and a fresh new style might see us bring in more people to the games, and making a surprise finals surge would reap profits that would make a payout palatable. A big 15 games ahead.

It is lucky that the people running the club now don't have the weakness of mindset that a number of posters on this site do.

To sack Goodwin at the end of this year would just send the club back a number of years in it's progress but hey, we have to keep the the fans invigorated so we can win games. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

It is lucky that the people running the club now don't have the weakness of mindset that a number of posters on this site do.

To sack Goodwin at the end of this year would just send the club back a number of years in it's progress but hey, we have to keep the the fans invigorated so we can win games. 

Where in the rulebook does it say a sacking of a coach sets you back a number of years? How did the Saints go after they sacked Grant Thomas? Freo after Mark Harvey? Ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy? Sometimes a coach can only take you so far.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

What is this “progress” you speak of?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Where in the rulebook does it say a sacking of a coach sets you back a number of years? How did the Saints go after they sacked Grant Thomas? Freo after Mark Harvey? Ever heard of the sunk cost fallacy? Sometimes a coach can only take you so far.

Yeah, I have weg poster's of the saints and freos of premiership wins

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Yeah, I have weg poster's of the saints and freos of premiership wins

And as ruthless an attitude it is to have the premiership or bust attitude, I value those memories of going to the footy and enjoying our Daniher coached teams that ultimately fell short. Club has to make a move on a coach at some point. My only point is that failure in both 2020 and 2021 to save on a big payout, is far less palatable than just taking a risk on a new coach and turn around that brings a financial winfall along with it. We all want to see on field improvement, maybe it will only come with a new coach.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

And as ruthless an attitude it is to have the premiership or bust attitude, I value those memories of going to the footy and enjoying our Daniher coached teams that ultimately fell short. Club has to make a move on a coach at some point. My only point is that failure in both 2020 and 2021 to save on a big payout, is far less palatable than just taking a risk on a new coach and turn around that brings a financial winfall along with it. We all want to see on field improvement, maybe it will only come with a new coach.

Changing coaches is not going to happen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Half forward flank said:

Time will tell or are you saying the powers that be will not act even if Goodwin fails.

Can we afford to pay out his contract? Will the AFL let us? He is contracted for 2 more seasons after this one and the club has seen a massive hole in our revenue and spike in our debt this year and possibly next year too. The competition is reeling financially and Kennett is putting the death of clubs back on the agenda. I don't think we can afford to flush close to a million bucks down the toilet.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Can we afford to pay out his contract? Will the AFL let us? He is contracted for 2 more seasons after this one and the club has seen a massive hole in our revenue and spike in our debt this year and possibly next year too. The competition is reeling financially and Kennett is putting the death of clubs back on the agenda. I don't think we can afford to flush close to a million bucks down the toilet.

It would have to weighed up between the cost of paying out Goodwin vs the cost of a mass exodus of members. If we have two non appearances in finals 20/21 I honestly don't know if I'd bother anymore. Tough thing to admit to after close to fifty years of being a supporter. In the final few minutes of last night's game I had a brutal reckoning....

I really do love the club, but we have consistently been the worst Australian Rules team I've witnessed in my time on earth, and that [censored] gets genuinely tiresome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2018 is increasingly looking like an anomoly year.

Goodwin has zero motivational skills and is incapable of stopping basic football mistakes like 4 defenders flying for a mark or long-bombing to our forward line.

Other than that he's a great coach.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There's no way we can pay out two years of a coach's contract and hire a new one, all whilst holding a hand out to the AFL for funds to keep the club running at its most basic level.  The AFL would be negligent if they allowed us to do that.  We will not attract 1.5 million dollars worth of additional members if Goodwin is sacked.

(we're also 1 win, 1 loss, two rounds into a new season.) 

• Like 2