Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

11 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

There is no room for Lockhart we already have 7 backs. Salem ended his chances. Vanders must come in we need his hardness. Kossie should come in but I wouldn't be too bothered if he was out for another week. Jones is finished anyone who doesn't think it has rocks in their head. 

Sorry Werridee but I am including Jay in the 7 instead of Smithy fir the reasons I gave!

We don't Need to  have any limit really but 7 or 8 is max for training Purposes.

In any case I directly see Jay as Lord Nevs replacement and like Rivers/Hibberd it's looking imminent.

Goody's desire  for the need for pace would be further acceded and our run and carry improved. (Don't want Nev to be discarded unless he becomes slower or doesn't play his one on one role as well as before.)

Yes Smithy can with training and scratch matches improve his footy smarts and judgement as no doubt his athleticism is tantalising rather  like Sean Wight without the surety.

Kossie should come in no doubt and Is Vanders ready ?

iMO Jonesy had a real downer on Sat but to say he is Finished (Marsh game vs Crows  was lively and knows where the goals are and can pass the ball) Is premature.

Jacko should be given another game at least and maybe Weid included as talls are neeeded vs Bombers to provide marking options.

Sounds as though we need 25 named or more!!!

Should  be a very hotly contested Game and if we can win this we are on our way even with a very young group in this rather quick and instant  mini rebuild.

At least we have options in 2020 in contrast to 2019 when they were in rehab or in the stands watching.0

• Like 2

ESSENDON

Essendon got through the thrilling win over Sydney — and the 5am start — with a clean bill of health. The Bombers will be cautious with Orazio Fantasia and his quad injury given his history with soft tissue problems and will likely miss another week. Patrick Ambrose will come into consideration after being left out, as will fellow defender Brandon Zerk-Thatcher who has served his one-match ban for breaching COVID-19 restrictions.

INJURY LIST

O.Fantasia (quad) test

N.Gown (foot) 3-4

K.Mutch (wrist) 4

L.Johnson (knee) indefinite

J.Daniher (groin) indefinite

H.Jones (foot) indefinite

T.Hird (foot) indefinite

MELBOURNE

Kysaiah Pickett is set to return straight away from his one-match COVID-19 ban for Sunday’s clash against an unbeaten Essendon - two teams that suffered second-half fade-outs at the weekend. Pickett impressed in a scratch match against Carlton on Saturday along with Mitch Hannan and Aaron vandernBerg, while Sam Weideman kicked five goals. Harley Bennell will only get better after playing just 50 per cent game time in his AFL comeback.

INJURY LIST

B.Preuss (achilles) 3-4

M.Hore (toe) 5-7

H.Petty (groin) indefinite

K.Kolodjashnij (head) indefinite

A.Nietschke (knee) season

23 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can't believe people have suggested Hunt to be dropped.

Carlton would've killed for forward to bang home 3 goals on the weekend.

Totally agree - we need to think about weather too - 12 degrees and wet. Perhaps:

In Kosi and Vanders

Out Jackson and HB (very important long term players for us and should be managed)

TMac back up ruck in those conditions get him into the game and push Gawn forward

50 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Totally agree - we need to think about weather too - 12 degrees and wet. Perhaps:

In Kosi and Vanders

Out Jackson and HB (very important long term players for us and should be managed)

TMac back up ruck in those conditions get him into the game and push Gawn forward

Bennell managed after just one game? You serious?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ben russell said:

Bennell managed after just one game? You serious?

16 minutes ago, My name is legion said:

Absolutely! Take it slowly with these chronic recurrent injuries.

I agree with this too - particularly if it's going to be super wet and contested. Would bring in AVB for him. We could easily get on top of them in the contested area. 

21 minutes ago, MF-C said:

I agree with this too - particularly if it's going to be super wet and contested. Would bring in AVB for him. We could easily get on top of them in the contested area. 

Interestingly, this article from the club makes it sound like maybe only one out of Harley and vB will be selected.

"Similarly to Harley Bennell, vandenBerg has had a luckless run with injury, so it will be interesting to see if there’s room for both Demons in the same outfit."

A chance to return: Who’s in the frame for Round 3?

Also sounds a bit like Kozzy will be straight in, Hannan a good chance, Weid a possibility and Lockhart maybe only if there's a defender out with soreness or injury. (That's reading into it of course)

Harley in the wet? He's super silky and moved well last week, but this could be a totally different game altogether. Have to look at each game tactically rather than just play whoever. 

Essendon mids are pretty thin too - so if it is wet and very contested we should easily have them for physicality  

2 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

In Kosi and Vanders

HB?  He is not a pencil

1 hour ago, MF-C said:

Harley in the wet? He's super silky and moved well last week, but this could be a totally different game altogether. Have to look at each game tactically rather than just play whoever. 

Essendon mids are pretty thin too - so if it is wet and very contested we should easily have them for physicality  

I think you are saying we shouldn't play him if it's wet because he doesn't have a solid body. But wouldn't his skill be exactly what would be needed in wet and slippery conditions? While it is universally accepted that wet weather football brings down the overall skill level, my view is that the more highly skilled players are less badly affected than the players who's skill level is not as high.  

After reading the scratch match report I realise how much the recruitment of Jackson, Picket and Rivers has had on the team. I suspect that it will take the next month to determine who is in the best 22 and barring injuries how the team will develop. With a record low number of injuries there were 17 players in the scratch match. Of the 17 only Bradke  & Jordan haven't played a game and I am unsure who the club sees as long term best 22 players. Weid, Hannan, AVB, Hibberd,Spargo and OMac all played in the finals of 2018. Picket, Sparrow, Chandler, Baker and Jordan are all promising young guns. Then there are the Wagners (Corey was carry over emergency Saturday) Bedford and Dunkley. 

As for selection our forward line got smashed last week and I note Weitering and Docherty got coaches votes as the Crlton half back line after the 1st quarter was like a wall and kept rebounding the ball out. I think the club will keep changes to the minimum as they try to determine who is in the best 22 and then some hard decisions need to be made. Kozie and Weid in for Jones and Smith.

58 minutes ago, SidVicious said:

Bombers’ speed advantage would be blunted in the wet. Bring on the rain!

Have you seen us play in the wet under Goodwin - we've been rubbish. It will be a good test to see if we have a game plan that can move the ball and lock it in forward for once, otherwise it's big trouble.

On 6/16/2020 at 1:42 PM, Deespicable said:

Wow what an incredibly hard job for the selectors this week.

At least six very worthy players have put their hand up for a return - AVB, Weid, Lockhart, Pickett, Lockhart and Hannan. Two more - Hibberd and Brown - are playing their old side and our 23rd player Corey Wagner should be in the mix again as well.

Against that we won, we also won with a largely experimental side (Rivers, Smith, Jackson, Bennell) and five of our most senior men had games that weren't their best. Further to that our experiment with pace seemed to have instant impact early, yet by the end we looked slow again. On top of all that we have newbies like Tomlinson and Langdon from last year trying to feel comfortable with our system. Wow, what a tricky situation. And it was everyone's first game in 82 days. And we won.

Personally given all the above I'd just go NO CHANGE, unless there are injuries and the reason is as follows:

Pickett could replace ANB yet ANB was in our best six on the day - is that fair on ANB?

AVB could replace Jones - is that fair on Jonesy and also given that wet conditions are forecast that will suit Jonesy?

Weid or Brown could replace Jackson or T.Mac - Is that fair on a kid who is learning his way and one who provides pace or on our only forward who kicks bags of goals and draws the best opponent in T.Mac?

Hannan could replace Hunt or Melky - some would say Hunt was our best forward against the Blues, and Melky has been our most reliable forward for two years.

Hibberd could replace Smith - is that fair on Smith who has barely played for four years and who adds pace - as seen by a couple of his closing speed spoils?

Lockhart could replace Jetta - is that fair on Jetta who had to cope with a regular mismatch on McKay and is so good at switching on different players down back?

Ultimately, our opponents are a fast side, and the shorter games just seem to expose players who are slow, so any change that sees us lose speed this week would seem a strange choice.

All good, BUT, your last para is the most salient. It's not about fair it's about winning.

This is where we use the squad to win.

Look at the opponents and select the best fastest or negating players.

May, Lever OMac,  O Mac to Let May and Lever run around. Rivers perhaps.

LOchart,, Jetta, perhaps changing off the bench

Hunt, Harmes, Trac, Brayshaw off the bench with Viney.

Depending how Jackson pulls up and feels Saturday. I felt he was good and is mobile but is still developing and the druggies may not be the best development.

CHF TMac if he is more mobile than Brown or  if Brown can remain focused on our side and it's plan and not out to prove anything to Essendon.  Weird off the bench to change up with either of them.

Salem,Tomlinson, Langdon, Oliver, Max all pick themselves

Kozi,, Bennel, Fritter, should be there perhaps changing one off the bench..

Id even consider Pruess off the bench to give Max a cut out and provide a more static tall FF.

Not sure where that leaves me but fill from the rest ANB, Hibbo, Melk and anyone who wants to beat the [censored] out of the Druggies.

Match up with match fit.

The interesting thing right now is that we really have a close to full list to choose from so this should be an opportunity for players to push pressure on their peers to force their way into the team. Interesting the Oscar wasn't mentioned in that article, might indicate that they will persist with Smith (god help us if he keeps going for stupid speckies).

AvB is in our best 22 if fit, so the question comes when do they decide he's fit? I agree with the idea that we can't carry two players who will be on half game time so until AvB is up to being able to play closer to 70% he might not find a way in.

AVB not the right horse for a wet track. Goody does have some insights about Essendon, he should be able to work out who from Hibberd/Melksham/Brown might have a bit of extra spark from the prospect of playing their former club. But I would prefer Melksham and Hibberd out of the team.

With it being wet I think ANB's run is critical, he stays.

Jones, my beloved, his time is not up, but needs a rest a'la Ablett, he is NQR and he deserves a go on the ball in a scratch match to find his mojo.

I think Tmac is close, one more game before being dropped, I like his work off the ball. 

Brayshaw, one more game before getting itchy and .....

Picket and Jackson in/stay.

SO out: Melksham, Jones

In: Kossie, Lockhart.

Smith forward, Tmac back.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, Lord Nev said:

But do you pick a side on 'upside' or do you base it on form, contribution and effort?

I reckon I know what most successful sides would do.

iN  Hibberd , Vanders, WIED and Kossi

Out jETTA needs to regroup must be carrying an injury or he is out of soughts. Definitely the latter. Hibberd   takes his place.

Cannot carry SMITH anymore he is a burden. Has Goodwin learnt his lesson?

Weid deserves a go who does he replace. I don't think it is Tmac.      I don't think Brown will play.

Kossi plays so says Goodwin. Does he replace ANB?     

4 changes.

What do you think LN?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

While it is universally accepted that wet weather football brings down the overall skill level, my view is that the more highly skilled players are less badly affected than the players who's skill level is not as high.  

This is absolutely true. One of the biggest myths in footy that wet weather is a leveler. 

25 minutes ago, nosoupforme said:

iN  Hibberd , Vanders, WIED and Kossi

Out jETTA needs to regroup must be carrying an injury or he is out of soughts. Definitely the latter. Hibberd   takes his place.

Cannot carry SMITH anymore he is a burden. Has Goodwin learnt his lesson?

Weid deserves a go who does he replace. I don't think it is Tmac.      I don't think Brown will play.

Kossi plays so says Goodwin. Does he replace ANB?     

4 changes.

What do you think LN?

Don't mind it too much mate. Originally I didn't have vB coming in, but other posters are starting to convince me that maybe the conditions will suit him. I'm not 100% sure they'll consider him fully ready this week though. Definitely not against it if it happens.

Hibberd for Jetta a chance I guess too, more so if Orazio doesn't play. I might lean more towards Lockhart than Hibberd if he does however, just for the run and pressure he brings if Jetta comes out.

Yep Smith out. I like him, but the backline mix doesn't seem right atm.

Weid in for Jackson IMO. TMac on thin ice, but the opposition, ground and conditions maybe tips the balance just.

Kozzy 100%. He's my fave. Not sure for who though. Thought ANB's game was ok, especially early, his goals and score involvements were crucial to us winning in the end. Perhaps Kozzy for Jones?

TBH I've shifted on the changes a few times, so many things to balance.

I personally would go (have already changed my mind a few times tho):

IN: Weid, Kozzy, Hibberd or OMac (pending rain report)

OUT: Jackson, Jones, Smith

What I think will actually happen is:

IN: Kozzy, Hannan, Weid

OUT: ANB, Jackson, Jetta

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2020 at 7:23 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Good effort to suggest changes clearly without watching the game but they should be as follows:

OUT: T. McDonald, Melksham, Jackson
IN: Weideman, Pickett, Lockhart

Smith gets a reprive up forward where he belongs.

They won't drop Tmac.

18 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Interestingly, this article from the club makes it sound like maybe only one out of Harley and vB will be selected.

"Similarly to Harley Bennell, vandenBerg has had a luckless run with injury, so it will be interesting to see if there’s room for both Demons in the same outfit."

A chance to return: Who’s in the frame for Round 3?

Also sounds a bit like Kozzy will be straight in, Hannan a good chance, Weid a possibility and Lockhart maybe only if there's a defender out with soreness or injury. (That's reading into it of course)

Does that soreness and injury also apply to those who watched Smith's game from the bleaches?  One can only hope