Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

The big call that needs to be made in regards to our forward line....

I loved having Jackson out there, of course its exciting to see our next big forward/ruck/midfielder prized draft pick much like king is to stkilda we just want him out there, its exciting! But our absolute priority should be to win games and play our strongest 22. If we had of  went on our merry ways and actually  finished that game of with some sort of decency then the tone would be different.

As for choofta, he has to be our man going forward I like to compare him to Charlie Curnow both shown great quality in patches also taken in the same draft.... Its easy to get impatient but his time is only really approaching. Let him play a few more scratch matches apparently there's more space with smaller sides it will help his confidence we shouldn't look to force him back confidence is everything! And we seem to have the options..

If I'm goody I bring in Brown, I think he's much more unpredictable as in he won't play out the goal square( not that our forward line is any bit predictable at the minute). Lets go with a dynamic forward line can't afford to have the mindset that Weideman is our big forward out the goal square and start bombing the ball long like we did against west coast if we resort back to  this Ill bloody stick my foot through the screen. No more dumb football PLEASE!

Tom McDonald.... needs a new role, get him playing to his strengths empty his tank get him running up and down the lines, we could use a reliable bail out kick from defence, someone we can rely on to be a marking option down the line instead of relying on max do bail us out. He just isn't hitting the scoreboard and doesn't look at all dangerous in our forward 50. We need him firing, so let him run free and throw his body around!

• Like 2

We all have our own opinions as selectors however mine is minimal or no changes. A win is a win and believe the players, particularly those that didn't perform need another another game under their belt and if again they put in a bad one then drop them. We need continuity so they can develop understanding between themselves. 7 changes for round 2 is enough. 8 if you throw in the late change for ANB back in for Kozie.

Maybe Kozie in for someone ( take your pick) but that is all I would do.Hard to drop ANB as he started well and actually lowered his eyes to hit up Fritta for our first goal. Yes he went missing along with most but still hard to drop. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

We all have our own opinions as selectors however mine is minimal or no changes. A win is a win and believe the players, particularly those that didn't perform need another another game under their belt and if again they put in a bad one then drop them. We need continuity so they can develop understanding between themselves. 7 changes for round 2 is enough. 8 if you throw in the late change for ANB back in for Kozie.

Maybe Kozie in for someone ( take your pick) but that is all I would do.Hard to drop ANB as he started well and actually lowered his eyes to hit up Fritta for our first goal. Yes he went missing along with most but still hard to drop. 

Jacko also has to go (even playing him round 1 was a huge surprise) for Weed

• Like 2

In: Weid & Kozi

Out: Jacko & ANB

Unlucky: Vanders

No need to panic. Jacko looks promising but he’s had a taste, now needs some continuity in the 2s. Bad luck for ANB but Kozi is just so dangerous that even after 1 game he needs to come back in and stay there.

Melksham has so many runs on the board it’s not funny. Arguably our most important player when on form so he’s not going anywhere. Jones was poor but I’d back him to bounce back. Actually think smith had some great moments just had two shockers that resulted in goals. I reckon persist with him, could be great if he figures that role out.

• Like 6

On 6/14/2020 at 6:35 PM, Deesprate said:

I like the look of this should stick with Jackson over Smith. Only other change Vander forJones sorry but Nathan is on his last legs. Sad to see

Hate to agree as I am loyal to Jones, but it is the case I am afraid. Jackson has to get game time and experience to adapt his known skills to the big game - so I guess, reluctantly, Smitty misses out. Vanders, if ready, will add that toughness to the contest in the forward line and this will assist Weeds to crash through those he regularly skirts. Weeds must lead long and hard - initiative must be experimented with rather than static observations. 

Should be a nail-biter if we co-ordinate the efforts - particularly in the deep defence area where communication and specific roles have been remiss. 

On 6/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, Vineytime said:

Weed for TMac 

Kozzie for ANB

Vanders for Hunt

Hunt can be a deceptively good lead in the fwd line. 

Been thinking about this.. and im not ready to hit panic button just yet. Our team consisted of 8 players who had played 20 games or less for the Demons,  a backline who had Lever, May, Smith and Rivers, first game they have played together, Langdon and Tomlinsons second game wit teh team, Bennell first game for 20 years and Jackson's first match as a big bloke. It may take a while for this team to get the chemistry going. Which makes me more disapointed in some of the senior players, Jones, Melksham, Tom Mc and Nev Jetta, they didnt stand up at all. I Think Jetta was just ok, let down by coaching a bit with some match ups, but i never saw them once assert themselves. 

Kossie will come in you would think which will be another 2nd gamer, so experience players and "leaders" are more important than ever in this team. Its on them. Maybe Hibbered back against teh Bombers i think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

I agree.

However i think there is an issue connecting Omac and Smith in so far as they don't play the same role.

Smith is never going to be a lock down defender on a big. For one thing a good big forward, say a Kennedy or Darling, would simply have to much footy nous for him. 

If Oscar doesn't play then May has to be the lock down deep defender for their key big. But most teams have two big forwards and neither Smith or Lever are suited to matching up on them.  Then we have a problem.

if they keep him in defence I can see Smith taking Jetta's spot as he has the speed to go with a small, height and strength to go with a medium and leap to give the bigs a hand if a spoil from the second man in is needed. He would also have a bit more licence to take intercept marks. Used this way he would play a very similar role to Howe at the pies.

In that role Omac could come in to play his  full back, sweeper role allowing May to take the second big and be more attacking than if he has to play deep. It would also mean Lever can focus on the intercept role we brought him to the club to play.

I think I agree with you in that, if we are going to play two "key" defenders, we're better with OMac/May than we are with May/Lever or May/Smith. 

The main issue with it, of course, is OMac. I'm not convinced he'll ever be good enough to be our FB.

However, I'm equally unconvinced in Smith being a key, or even third, defender, and I don't like Lever doing anything other than being a third tall/intercept defender. 

Structurally, I think we're better off with Smith either playing on a mid/smaller forward, or not being in the backline at all, with OMac, May and Lever being the three talls (in that order).

I'm not sure this is the week to make any change in that area though, given Essendon plays a largely small forward line without Daniher (McKernan 198cm, Stringer 192cm, Townsend 187cm). 

The week after, though, Geelong plays Hawkins and Ratugolea. 

• Like 1

Lockhart should be straight in. Essendon rely on set of small/mid sized forwards. We need good small defenders to aid in shutting down their forward line. Jetta is the only one we have who can lock down, and he's not in good form as it is. Lockhart should be first player into the team and should've played round 1.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

Been thinking about this.. and im not ready to hit panic button just yet. Our team consisted of 8 players who had played 20 games or less for the Demons,  a backline who had Lever, May, Smith and Rivers, first game they have played together, Langdon and Tomlinsons second game wit teh team, Bennell first game for 20 years and Jackson's first match as a big bloke. It may take a while for this team to get the chemistry going. Which makes me more disapointed in some of the senior players, Jones, Melksham, Tom Mc and Nev Jetta, they didnt stand up at all. I Think Jetta was just ok, let down by coaching a bit with some match ups, but i never saw them once assert themselves. 

Kossie will come in you would think which will be another 2nd gamer, so experience players and "leaders" are more important than ever in this team. Its on them. Maybe Hibbered back against teh Bombers i think.

Spot on Demon3. Our so called leaders and better players NEED to step up and assist these newbies as much as they can. See it to often when opposition come hard at us our leaders (Gawn aside) seem to go hiding in the stands. If this is a close one and I suspect it will be then this is the time for Melk, Jones, Jetta, TMac and the likes of Oliver and Brayshaw to lead the way for another close win. Essendon were only just against the Swans and I do not rate them as much as others and a chance for us to go 2/1

• Like 2

Looks like it's going to be wet-weather (if it gets cold too we could be playing the druggies on ice) and they have a smallish fast forward line so: 

• Lockhart for Smith
  • Vandenberg for Jones (VDB fast enough to stop their run off half-back).
  • Pickett, for ANB (harsh)
  • Jackson for Weed (stronger body)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

Looks like it's going to be wet-weather (if it gets cold too we could be playing the druggies on ice) and they have a smallish fast forward line so: 

• Lockhart for Smith

agree we need smaller and faster

Essendon have some outside and half back speed

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Lockhart should be straight in. 

Sounds like he was extremely stiff to miss out, and it was more down to missing some training sessions than anything else.  Hopefully he gets a gig this weekend.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

Spot on Demon3. Our so called leaders and better players NEED to step up and assist these newbies as much as they can. See it to often when opposition come hard at us our leaders (Gawn aside) seem to go hiding in the stands. If this is a close one and I suspect it will be then this is the time for Melk, Jones, Jetta, TMac and the likes of Oliver and Brayshaw to lead the way for another close win. Essendon were only just against the Swans and I do not rate them as much as others and a chance for us to go 2/1

It is difficult to know what the plan for this year is unless you are inside the club. Our problem has been the lack of games the KPB and KPF have played together since lever and may were recruited. I do think that the presence of Omac allows the others the ability to play their strengths. TMAC needs to be coming out of the square or running his man around to create space for the others. Jackson will require someone to mind him. 

As far as selection goes could Jackson and Rivers have been told that they were getting a taste this week but not playing the following game? I think that Rivers may find it hard to play without Jackson there? If Omac comes in and Jetta is replaced by smith that would bring structure to the backline. 

Are we treating this season as the preseason for 2021? I'm not sure wholesale changes will be made as I think the aim is get continuity as well as blood some youngsters.

12 minutes ago, TRIGON said:

• Lockhart for Smith

Agree with all of that except I'd leave Jackson in - more mobile and better at ground level than Weid (from limited sample size). Doubt they will drop Jones as well. 

1 hour ago, Lord Travis said:

Lockhart should be straight in. Essendon rely on set of small/mid sized forwards. We need good small defenders to aid in shutting down their forward line. Jetta is the only one we have who can lock down, and he's not in good form as it is. Lockhart should be first player into the team and should've played round 1.

Write up on the club site alluded to him missing out due to missing training with a sore quad:

Jay Lockhart

“He missed a little bit of training with a sore quad, so he was a bit stiff to miss out on selection, but he was really influential – in particular in the second half. He helped out his teammates in the air and used the ball really well coming out of defence – he looked really good.”

You make a good case. He’s rarely wasteful with ball in hand and a smaller forward line could give us headaches.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, P-man said:

Write up on the club site alluded to him missing out due to missing training with a sore quad:

Jay Lockhart

“He missed a little bit of training with a sore quad, so he was a bit stiff to miss out on selection, but he was really influential – in particular in the second half. He helped out his teammates in the air and used the ball really well coming out of defence – he looked really good.”

You make a good case. He’s rarely wasteful with ball in hand and a smaller forward line could give us headaches.

Didn't know he missed training due to niggle, so that makes more sense. On form, he would've been a lock for round 1. His ball use, pace, defensive zoning, and aggression with tackling make him a key part of our backline going forward IMO. I'd bring him straight in if he's fit.

Think we might struggle to contain Essendons small running brigade without a bit of a rejig to our structure. Lockhart and Pickett should come in.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, defuture15 said:

It is difficult to know what the plan for this year is unless you are inside the club. Our problem has been the lack of games the KPB and KPF have played together since lever and may were recruited. I do think that the presence of Omac allows the others the ability to play their strengths. TMAC needs to be coming out of the square or running his man around to create space for the others. Jackson will require someone to mind him. 

As far as selection goes could Jackson and Rivers have been told that they were getting a taste this week but not playing the following game? I think that Rivers may find it hard to play without Jackson there? If Omac comes in and Jetta is replaced by smith that would bring structure to the backline. 

Are we treating this season as the preseason for 2021? I'm not sure wholesale changes will be made as I think the aim is get continuity as well as blood some youngsters.

???

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stinger said:

???

They are mates who have come through together and I believe share a house as well. I could be completely wrong that it may affect Rivers game, but he has played just one game to date. I also realise that bIgs take longer and that Rivers may hold his place now.

14 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

FB:  Jetta,  May,  Lever

HB:  Harmes,  Smith,  Rivers

CL:  Tomlinson,  Oliver,  Langdon

HF:  Jones,  Weide,  Bennell

FF:  Melksham,  Hunt,  TMc

Rk:  Gawn,  Petracca,  Viney

Int:  Salem,  Fritsch,  Hibbo,  Sparrow

Ins:  Weide,  Hibbo,  Sparrow

Emer:  OMc,  Brayshaw,  Jackson,  Jordan,  Pickett,  Lockhart

sorry, I just realised my mistake, forgetting ANB.   certainly not intentional.  He would be in my team instead of Hibbo.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I can't believe people have suggested Hunt to be dropped.

Carlton would've killed for forward to bang home 3 goals on the weekend.

Excatly he kicked nearly half our score.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

Wow what an incredibly hard job for the selectors this week.

At least six very worthy players have put their hand up for a return - AVB, Weid, Lockhart, Pickett, Lockhart and Hannan. Two more - Hibberd and Brown - are playing their old side and our 23rd player Corey Wagner should be in the mix again as well.

Against that we won, we also won with a largely experimental side (Rivers, Smith, Jackson, Bennell) and five of our most senior men had games that weren't their best. Further to that our experiment with pace seemed to have instant impact early, yet by the end we looked slow again. On top of all that we have newbies like Tomlinson and Langdon from last year trying to feel comfortable with our system. Wow, what a tricky situation. And it was everyone's first game in 82 days. And we won.

Personally given all the above I'd just go NO CHANGE, unless there are injuries and the reason is as follows:

Pickett could replace ANB yet ANB was in our best six on the day - is that fair on ANB?

AVB could replace Jones - is that fair on Jonesy and also given that wet conditions are forecast that will suit Jonesy?

Weid or Brown could replace Jackson or T.Mac - Is that fair on a kid who is learning his way and one who provides pace or on our only forward who kicks bags of goals and draws the best opponent in T.Mac?

Hannan could replace Hunt or Melky - some would say Hunt was our best forward against the Blues, and Melky has been our most reliable forward for two years.

Hibberd could replace Smith - is that fair on Smith who has barely played for four years and who adds pace - as seen by a couple of his closing speed spoils?

Lockhart could replace Jetta - is that fair on Jetta who had to cope with a regular mismatch on McKay and is so good at switching on different players down back?

Ultimately, our opponents are a fast side, and the shorter games just seem to expose players who are slow, so any change that sees us lose speed this week would seem a strange choice.

• Like 1