Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

The problem with watching on TV has always been knowing what role each player has. For example, was Jones completely out of form or did he do his job by dragging a dangerous Carlton player away from the ball? If he was out of form, he's on very thin ice.

Conversely, it's clear that Joel Smith needs a lot more experience...but the only way to get that is for him to keep playing. As Essendon plays a small forward line, I can't see a place for Oscar McDonald anyway, so I think it becomes a question of whether Smith gets replaced with a smaller defender such as Hibberd or Lockhart.

At the other end, should Weideman come in, and if so, for Jackson or someone else?

Finally, Pickett missed through stupidity. But who should he replace? Is it time for Jones to go (but see above)?   

Assuming no injuries, I suspect there will be minimal changes, with only Weideman and Pickett possible additions for Jackson and Jones.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd be more confident if this game were at Marvel as we usually beat them there, while at the G they're too fast for us. They've beaten us the last 3 times there.

Ins - Pickett, Weidman, O Mac 

Outs - Jackson, Smith, ANB

Pickett for ANB although Jones and particularly Melksham should be dropped based on their poor starts to the season. Melksham hasn't played well since getting injured in round 8 last year.

O Mac for Smith is obvious. Smith was an obvious liability as he directly cost us 2-3 goals. Either play him forward or don't play him.

The Jackson inclusion didn't work in terms of having a cohesive forward line after half time. Weideman needs to come in and hopefully T Mac will benefit from having a more experienced co-key forward.

I hope Bennell's minutes increase this week. I'd imagine him playing just 50% of game time wouldn't be helping our overall rotations, although Carlton lost a bloke early and ran the game out far better,

O Mc no way!!!!!!!!!    he will be playing for the Bombers again... T Mc CHB and the Weid at CHF otherwise I agree.

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You've  made some good points here.

I am also in the camp of just getting Weideman in and play him for the rest of the year. We have [censored] around with his development and he needs continuity in his game. I am also in the thought of having all 3 of Jackson, Weid, and Mcdonald as our 3 key forward. Jackson to part time ruck which leaves Weideman and McDonald to just focus on being key forwards full time.

I also hate this whole playing Bayley Fritsch from deep full forward. Justin Plapp our forwards coach has a lot to answer to this. He's best utilised as a half forward which his clean kicking skills on display.

I don't think we can play all 3 of Weideman, Jackson and Tmac, because Fritsch plays as a tall. He is not a ground ball player. It will leave us far too lumbering. As it is, when the ball hits the deck we are stuffed. 

But there is no rush for me with Jackson, whereas Weideman is at an age now where we need to find out if he can really play and be that CHF we are looking for. If he isn't, we need to reinvent him or cut our losses. But he has never played with enough continuity for us to find out. I refuse to believe that someone who played so well under the pressure of finals, does not have the talent to be a good solid player at the very least. And honestly, how many years does TMac have left with his feet? He can barely move as it is. Imagine in 2 seasons! 

We invested a lot into Weideman, and yet we won't invest game time into him. 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 12:16 AM, bing181 said:

They've explained why. See the Troy Chaplin interview. With his relative youth and injury history, they feel that there are less demands on his body in the backline. Also that his versatility (play on tall/small) and athleticism are more damaging down back where he can play as an attacking defender.

But heh, it's just a whole football department full of experienced professionals making these decisions, what would they know?

Yes Bing and its working out beautifully!

19 hours ago, Pipefitter said:

Where do you even begin ?

Jackson was out of his league but still provided more than T-Mac. Tommy either plays defence or doesn’t play. The forward experiment is over. 

Jones has enough credits but I’d prob make some statements with dropping Melksham and Brayshaw.

what have credits to do with it when he is playing so [censored]

Our biggest problems are in the backline. May and Jetta cost goals because they don't read the play well and make bad decisions. The backs lack system and do not help each other enough. Unfortunately we have drafted too many intercept defenders. May, Leaver. Rivers. Hore and Hibbid all have the same skill set.  L think the best at the moment are Rivers and Leaver. Leaver had a bad game but his mistakes are not as costly. We did not draft any accountable lockdown defenders. We can only fit two of these guys in the team. Jetta. when beaten gets beaten badly. For mine Lockhart played better in the first game and is a better option at the moment. We should try and trade May, he is a liability because he is not smart. I don't think May would be getting a game anywhere and we are the suckers who got stuck with him, he is not the future.

Games with the shorter quarters have shown quicker teams have an advantage. We should be picking our fastest team every week. i don't mind Jackson because he is quick, smart and better below the knees than other options and he is better in the ruck. There may be a bit of flexibility when we play slower teams but we should pick the quicker team every week. 

This weeks changes will be very important and one change that isnt an in or an out is that Harmes MUST tag McGrath. He is their driver, he is the one that gets them going. Give Harmes the job, if our FD are serious they will identify this and say, lets take down their key playmaker. 

IN: PICKET / OMAC

OUT: Smith / ANB (unlucky) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I also hate this whole playing Bayley Fritsch from deep full forward. Justin Plapp our forwards coach has a lot to answer to this. He's best utilised as a half forward which his clean kicking skills on display.

Fritsch needs to also take responsibility for his performance. Has kicked 1.6 this season.

Missed way too many set shots and undid his excellent contested marking on Saturday - particularly the grab he took to boot the "winning" point.

We'd all be celebrating his performance if he kicked 4.1 not 1.4.

I'm happy for him to keep playing full forward as 5 scoring shots justifies his position deep in the fwd line. Just needs to start converting.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

This weeks changes will be very important and one change that isnt an in or an out is that Harmes MUST tag McGrath. He is their driver, he is the one that gets them going. 

I would think Shiel also needs attention.

Come to think of it Essendon have traded really well over the last couple of years with the likes of Stringer, Smith, Shiel and Saad. I wrote them off at the start of the season due to their off season surgeries but the COVID 19 period has worked well in their favour. They will probably play finals.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I would think Shiel also needs attention.

Come to think of it Essendon have traded really well over the last couple of years with the likes of Stringer, Smith, Shiel and Saad. I wrote them off at the start of the season due to their off season surgeries but the COVID 19 period has worked well in their favour. They will probably play finals.

Yeah good call. If Oliver can go head to head with cripps and get some wins, then he can do teh same with Shiel?

• Like 1

Don't know what is the biggest risk, playing Weideman and hoping he'll actually do something, or playing TMac and hoping he'll come out of his form slump.

• Like 2

Supporters of good teams usually have a keen sense of the ins and outs. With us it is very difficult at present.

Here is my take 

Jackson   Sit him down, dont worry about what he did right or wrong too much. Listen to him, hear his take on his game how he saw the pace of it and so on. Then say, well done, you have had a taste. Now go away and we are going to help you build yourself up and learn the game better. So that is him sorted for the year.

Weid      Sit him down as well, tell him he is being backed for the position. Lead to the ball and we will make sure the small forwards get to your feet isf the balls spills.

Mcdonald. Another sit down, man to man. How are you travelling Tom. Something is not right. Now if it is form we will back you but if it is body issues be straight with us.

Brown.  Not a great debut, full of nerves. He is a better player than Jackson at this stasge so he must come into calculations.

Viney/ Brayshaw   There is only a spot for one of those two against a lot of opposition.. sooner we acknowlege it the better.

Enough for now. 

1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

Hunt who was our leading goal kicker and everywhere in the last minute to help save the game?

I will spew up if they drop Hunt.

From what we were able to see on the TV, I thought he was very influential. Just need to look at the work he puts in as a forward. Classic example was Trac’s goal in the 3rd and the behind the goal vision shows that.

Great team goal by the way when things weren’t going our way and Hunt was partly responsible. Oliver wins a contested ball at half back, handballs to Viney and puts a long kick to Trac’s advantage. While all this was happening Hunt made multiple leads to confuse the hell out of Liam Jones and in the end it left the square vacant for the ball to bounce through. Mind you, Hunt still beat Jones to the line. What are other forwards do we have that can do that?

You don’t need a heap of possessions as a forward to influence the game.

• Like 2

Definitely would bring bedford in (if he's fit/ uninjured) for the melkshake.

Hibbo in for Smith, no questions asked. 

would like to see o'mac come in but not quite sure who to drop for him and Essendon don't have a particularly tall forward line so having o'mac, may and lever probably isn't the best choice.

Kosi in for ANB maybe. though ANB showed a bit so would be a bit stiff to get dropped. 

would definitely bring in mitch brown for jackson. jackson was good but didnt do heaps and i think brown offers something more especially against his old team. 

what i really want to see, out: 1 quarter performance, in: 4 quarter performance 

come on dees! 

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I don't think we can play all 3 of Weideman, Jackson and Tmac, because Fritsch plays as a tall. He is not a ground ball player. It will leave us far too lumbering. As it is, when the ball hits the deck we are stuffed. 

But there is no rush for me with Jackson, whereas Weideman is at an age now where we need to find out if he can really play and be that CHF we are looking for. If he isn't, we need to reinvent him or cut our losses. But he has never played with enough continuity for us to find out. I refuse to believe that someone who played so well under the pressure of finals, does not have the talent to be a good solid player at the very least. And honestly, how many years does TMac have left with his feet? He can barely move as it is. Imagine in 2 seasons! 

We invested a lot into Weideman, and yet we won't invest game time into him. 

I agree with this. We should only play two of Weideman, Jackson, Tmac or Petty up forward.

I think Smith could play forward as a third tall in addition because of his speed.

39 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I will spew up if they drop Hunt.

From what we were able to see on the TV, I thought he was very influential. Just need to look at the work he puts in as a forward. Classic example was Trac’s goal in the 3rd and the behind the goal vision shows that.

I can't fathom how anyone would even contemplate dropping Hunt. He was in our top 5 for the day.

Kicked 3 goals, made a classical lead and took the resultant mark like a genuine full forward because of his explosive pace. No one else seems capable of doing this in our forward line aside from Fritsch who can't hit the side of a barn at the moment.

And as you mentioned, put in some important 1 per centers including a crucial late game tackle and shepherding that long Petracca goal in the third quarter.

We must persist with him as he some fantastic attributes as a modern day forward eg- explosive off the mark and a reliable kick for goal.

Meanwhile I reckon Melkham's in trouble and probably would have been discussion after round 1 whether he retained his spot. I'd back him in one more week as he's a gun on his day.

• Like 3

The Bombers have a small forward line with McKernan and Stringer surrounded by smalls. I would swap Smith forward and switch Jones back. Hopefully this means we get less players jumping up to spoil.

I would also swap Jackson for Weideman, who will give us a better target.

I know Pickett is a talent, but it is unfair to drop Hunt or ANB IMO. Unless we have an injury or Bennell is rested, he will have to earn his way back.

2 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

The Bombers have a small forward line with McKernan and Stringer surrounded by smalls. I would swap Smith forward and switch Jones back. Hopefully this means we get less players jumping up to spoil.

I would also swap Jackson for Weideman, who will give us a better target.

I know Pickett is a talent, but it is unfair to drop Hunt or ANB IMO. Unless we have an injury or Bennell is rested, he will have to earn his way back.

Apparently Goodwin has already mentioned that Pickett will come straight in.

• Like 1