Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 03 vs Essendon

WERRIDEE

3 hours ago, binman said:

Fair call.

You're right I'm being too simplistic saying connection is about accurate kicking. It is all the things you suggested.

And to add an element synergy. Instinctively knowing where everyone is. A big part of which is a predictable, well drilled system.

Which makes the decision to bring so.many new players in and changing your defensive unit and structure all the more perplexing. Hard in those circumstances to have connection.

All that adide we still have too many really poor kicks and too few elite kicks.

Bin man that why Bennell is so important he hit targets. One of his passes was sublime yesterday. Connection is impossible with poor kicking. Saw Bennell interviewed after the game he seemed settled and happy. He and Pickett give genuine reason to be excited.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

Lever - May - Jetta

Rivers - Mc Donald T  - Salem

Tomo - Viney - Langdon

Trac - Smith - Melksham

Pickett - Weeds - Fritsch

Gawn - Oliver - Brayshaw

Bennell - Harmes - Jones ( just)  - Hunt

This is a stronger spine and potentially gives some marking targets up forward. Jones would not want to play another substandard game like yesterday and Melksham has been a most creative player over the years but average yesterday. Jackson is just too green at present. Although not a big fan ANB played Ok early but you cannot not have picket. I would play Jetta on Tippa. Kossie to play forward. Weeds comes in with instructions lead hard and if in doubt crash some packs, Same with Smith. T Mac is at Last chance hotel at CHB.

Thoughts??

I like the look of this should stick with Jackson over Smith. Only other change Vander forJones sorry but Nathan is on his last legs. Sad to see

What I don’t get about this coaching department is that they kinda select the forward line in hope. 
TMac has been in horrible form for a year and there’s no sign he is going to magically snap out if it, yet he is picked as our key forward post. Jackson is a raw skinny kid who isn’t ready yet.

They have guys who are very good marks and kicks for goal in J. Smith and Harmes Playing in the back line.

Is it time to try a few things like swap TMac with May and bring one of Harmes or Smith forward..

We wasted a whole year last year playing Fritsch out of position, and we shouldn’t waste another one living in hope.

Edited by DeeZee

3 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

What I don’t get about this coaching department is that they kinda select the forward line in hope. 
TMac has been in horrible form for a year and there’s no sign he is going to magically snap out if it, yet he is picked as our key forward post. Jackson is a raw skinny kid who isn’t ready yet.

They have guys who are very good marks and kicks for goal in J. Smith and Harmes Playing in the back line.

Is it time to try a few things like swap TMac with May and bring one if Gatnes it Smith forward..

We wasted a whole year last year playing Fritsch out of position, and we shouldn’t waste another one living in hope.

It’s not a bad point about the footy department, they have selected a forward line that they hope will just click. I said it in the post match thread that I feel like we have the weapons but don’t know how to use them (though Fritch, like Cripps, should’ve had more goals to his name). I was thinking that we play TMac as a high CHF, he is aerobically quite mobile for a tall so he should be using it to run his opponent for his feet. 

I like the idea of sending Smith to the forward line, he doesn’t look like a defender. 

I would also like to see them try Weids again, as a FF. Not the back up ruckman, a stay at home key forward. Jackson gets dropped to make this happen, I like the kid but he’s got some development needed on his body. 

The quarters are shorter so Max can have more game time, TMac and Weids share rucking duties. I’d like to Max rested forward. 

• Like 1

If it is impossible for mids to drop their eyes and look to hit someone up, maybe we do need 3 talls in the forward line.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheKozzieExperience said:

T mac out, Joel Smith to the forward line

Remember Smith kicked 4 goals in the last preseason game last year  before getting injured and being left on the field to play and then missing all the season

Smith is a forward!

Someone interviewed on Inside Melbourne (perhaps Richo) said Smith as a defender was due to it apparently being easier on his body. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, Wunders said:

I wonder if Tmac's knee has killed his form - a physical limitation. For example, say he now has bone on bone in the knee, it's painful to run and jump (still possible, but it's there all the time)... then that would explain why:

• He isn't running opposition players off their feet anymore (remember he was pretty much our best endurance runner with Hogan and ANB almost always dominating our pre-season trails). Last 2 years he has been rehabbing and not doing these.
  • He used to get out the back goals (because he ran them off their feet - haven't seen him get one in years).
  • Hence, his reduced output on game day :(

It may also be that opposition teams can now rotate defenders on him (if it's not his knee). So when one get's tired the next moves to him. When we had Hogan we had both talls running hard and they couldn't handle it. Or it may be that we don't want him running all over the ground as we want him as the Hogan/target big in the forward line.. Although clearly, with Fritsch and Hunt playing out of the square this probably isn't it.

Just highlights to me how much Tom needs a 'Hogan' type to be the No1 key forward and we don't have it.

Also doesn't help that we can't kick to advantage :P

Then WTF is he playing!??? Mindless!

Goody seems like a good bloke, But can he coach?? I'm starting to be concerned!

Please prove me wrong! But!?

Edited by picket fence

18 minutes ago, gs77 said:

Someone interviewed on Inside Melbourne (perhaps Richo) said Smith as a defender was due to it apparently being easier on his body. 

This is [censored]! if true.. easier on the body????? Why?? WTF

23 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Besides two brain fades, I thought Smith defended well. I can certainly see why the coaches are in love with him. His athletic ability is quite freakish.

I do wish he was playing up forward though.

Maybe swap him over with Tmac?

Shoulda had a crack at that movie after half time.

• Thanks 1

In Hannan Lockhart Pickett Weideman 

Out Jackson Jetta Jones Smith

More potency up forward required. 

Young Jackson a bit unlucky but he will get the opportunities later on. The two veterans know that if you don’t produce every week then your position’s in jeopardy. The message to the whole team is clear and that should spur them on to beat Essendon.

Just in case we haven't noticed that three Finalists from last year got trounced this week and a few  looked pretty tired including 2019  Finalists Footscray, Wast Coast, GWS and ,Hawthorn, MFC and Essendon/Sydney all looked like they were  no where near their peak.

Not sure what this means other than preparations per Club might be being entirely differently managed  from each other,  finishing later and staying at best for longer, with current circumstances...

10 hours ago, rpfc said:

Kid’s not ready. We have better options.

Rubbish watch the game

Ok lots of changes I can think of but I think we shouldn’t be changing things up too much. I’ll give my reasons below  

In: OMac, Kozzie, Weids, Hibberd (possible idea)

Out: Smith, ANB, LJ, Brayshaw (hear me out)

So the first three, Smith is not a backman. If that is what they are deciding on for him as a player than what I saw has him behind Oscar is so many ways. OMac has his issues but at the very least he’ll do the basics expected of him as a defender. Smith cost us goals going for spectacular marks. If he wants to do that send him forward. 

Kozzie for ANB, harsh but ANB faded like many of him teammates after half time. He has his shot, didn’t do enough. 

Weids for LJ. I know there will be a lot of opposition for this but simply LJ isn’t ready, he’s got a very bright future ahead of him but now isn’t the time to be throwing in a young body to the forward line when that forward line isn’t producing results. 

My controversial one, Brayshaw out for Hibberd. Two things on this: Harmes is WASTED in defence. Leave it to Melbourne to take a weapon and turn it into a flower (sadly not of the Robbie variety). His best spot is in the guts, which means someone needs to make way. That someone is Brayshaw who has been poor two weeks in a row. In a match where we needed someone to step up it could’ve been him with Trac getting tagged. Time to drop him. 

That results in a spot down back opening back up for Hibberd, he got lots of the ball and got himself into good positions. If he can lower the eyes and look for targets rather than bombing aimlessly then maybe just maybe he could become something again. 

Other change I thought about were Jones for AvB, could well happen as Jones was way off. But I think Jones will be given a bit of grace given his standing at the club, but he’s on thin ice. The other bold one would be TMac for Weids in a shock, but I think Tom’s role needs to change, and we should be pushing Weids to become our main target. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

People calling for Jackson's head are out of their minds. What do they expect from a first gamer? What has Weideman done played 1 game in his life. Weideman is a step backwards Jackson is a move forward watch him blossom. Jones has been shocking for over a year now. If Hibberd gets dropped Jones more than deserves to get dropped no sentiment in football we can't gift him games to get to his 300th, time for him to join Hibberd. Neal-Bullen is a bit unlucky he wasn't too bad but Vanders is so important to the side with his hardness we need that, they could always drop Melksham but he did kick 4 against the Hawks in a pre season match so I'm willing to give him one more chance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WERRIDEE said:

People calling for Jackson's head are out of their minds. What do they expect from a first gamer? What has Weideman done played 1 game in his life. Weideman is a step backwards Jackson is a move forward watch him blossom. Jones has been shocking for over a year now. If Hibberd gets dropped Jones more than deserves to get dropped no sentiment in football we can't gift him games to get to his 300th, time for him to join Hibberd. Neal-Bullen is a bit unlucky he wasn't too bad but Vanders is so important to the side with his hardness we need that, they could always drop Melksham but he did kick 4 against the Hawks in a pre season match so I'm willing to give him one more chance.

What did Jackson do against the Blues that makes you think he earned another game? For that matter what did he do in the preseason? Weids played ok (not great) in windy conditions at Casey in a main ruck role, right now we aren’t crying out for a second ruckman we are crying out for forward options which Weideman has shown he’s capable of doing but I feel like he hasn’t been given that as his pure role. He’s always been a bit of this and a bit of that, I want him to be given the FF role, nothing else. If he fails at that then fine but so far Jackson hasn’t shown enough as a forward. 

I get what you’re saying about Jackson but to me what I’ve seen so far Jackson hasn’t earned being in the 22, gone are the days we give out first draft pick games just because the have exciting potential. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pates said:

Ok lots of changes I can think of but I think we shouldn’t be changing things up too much. I’ll give my reasons below  

Other change I thought about were Jones for AvB, could well happen as Jones was way off. But I think Jones will be given a bit of grace given his standing at the club, but he’s on thin ice. 

I expressed concern last year that the AFL is littered with players who don't know when to retire or clubs that lack foresight and put individual above club. In contrast think of the Hawks who retired a premiership skipper in 1991 - Michael Tuck. 

If I was a player on large 6 figure payment I would stay also, hence up to the club.  Jones made the correct decison for his family to seek another year. The club pulled the right rein making max captain but baulked at the full move.

It will now just be sad seeing Nathan limp to the line and the club will be at fault for this.

Time will tell.

Ralphy in the Herald Sun reporting that Simon Goodwin has indicated Kysaiah Pickett will return to the Melbourne side immediately after serving his one match penalty for a COVID-19 protocol breach. He played in Saturday’s scratch match against Carlton and “showed his electric speed in an impressive display”. 

Also in the article (sorry no link available):- 

* Medium forwards Mitch Hannan and Aaron vanden-Berg also played,

* Sam Weideman kicked five goals, and

* Harley Bennell pulled up well after his 14-possession display in the 50 minutes he played. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Nasher said:

Out: Jackson, Jones, Smith

In: Weideman, Pickett, Hibberd

Hibberd kills us with turnovers. I rather Salem and  Rivers be the playmakers at half back, and we either give Smith a few more games to find his feet, or we bring in Omac to free up Lever to play third man up. 

I know everyone likes to bash Omac, but defensively he is pretty good. With May taking the best tall, it takes pressure off him. He did a great job on Darling in Round 1 and I think they dropped him purely for balance this round. Although nobody can tell me that him playing on McKay would not have made more sense than Jetta on him!

The biggest issue right now is we have no VFL, so how do you develop Jackson? We need to make a call whether winning games is the priority or developing these kids is. Weideman should play if we are all about winning. He isn't a world beater, but he has the body to at least half contests. Jackson has a lot of raw talent, but he isn't ready physically. 

They won't drop Jones. He was no worse yesterday than Melksham or Tmac, neither of which will be dropped. I'm afraid young Pickett is going to be have to suffer his punishment for another week, as ANB and Hunt both played OK, and it would send the wrong message to drop them in favour of Pickett, even tho you can tell he is already a better player. 

For me our forwardline is the biggest concern. We just have no contested marking targets down there. If we can't hit a player on the lead, we've lost the contest. I would honestly play Tmac deep, as he clearly is just lumbering around at CHF and moving at a glacial pace. Fritsch could give us more run playing half forward with Weideman. Ultimately tho, if one of Weideman or Tmac don't hit some red hot form, we are going to struggle to get out of the bottom 8. We just don't have enough avenues to goal, and even when we dominate through the middle, we very rarely translate that to scoreboard dominance, which means that when the going gets tough, the scoring disappears altogether. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Is it time to try a few things like swap TMac with May and bring one of Harmes or Smith forward..

Very interesting the number of people on here this morning who don’t have lives! Hmm why am I on here?

• Haha 1

I'd be more confident if this game were at Marvel as we usually beat them there, while at the G they're too fast for us. They've beaten us the last 3 times there.

Ins - Pickett, Weidman, O Mac 

Outs - Jackson, Smith, ANB

Pickett for ANB although Jones and particularly Melksham should be dropped based on their poor starts to the season. Melksham hasn't played well since getting injured in round 8 last year.

O Mac for Smith is obvious. Smith was an obvious liability as he directly cost us 2-3 goals. Either play him forward or don't play him.

The Jackson inclusion didn't work in terms of having a cohesive forward line after half time. Weideman needs to come in and hopefully T Mac will benefit from having a more experienced co-key forward.

I hope Bennell's minutes increase this week. I'd imagine him playing just 50% of game time wouldn't be helping our overall rotations, although Carlton lost a bloke early and ran the game out far better,

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

Inclined to agree. If T Mac continues his statue impersonations, Hooker will give him a bath.

Play T Mc at CHB, drop Smith and bring in Hibberd for the experience against the Bombers.  Also, someone needs to make way for Pickett so who it gonna be ???

CHF to go to the Weid but who ya gonna drop....?

6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Hibberd kills us with turnovers. I rather Salem and  Rivers be the playmakers at half back, and we either give Smith a few more games to find his feet, or we bring in Omac to free up Lever to play third man up. 

I know everyone likes to bash Omac, but defensively he is pretty good. With May taking the best tall, it takes pressure off him. He did a great job on Darling in Round 1 and I think they dropped him purely for balance this round. Although nobody can tell me that him playing on McKay would not have made more sense than Jetta on him!

The biggest issue right now is we have no VFL, so how do you develop Jackson? We need to make a call whether winning games is the priority or developing these kids is. Weideman should play if we are all about winning. He isn't a world beater, but he has the body to at least half contests. Jackson has a lot of raw talent, but he isn't ready physically. 

They won't drop Jones. He was no worse yesterday than Melksham or Tmac, neither of which will be dropped. I'm afraid young Pickett is going to be have to suffer his punishment for another week, as ANB and Hunt both played OK, and it would send the wrong message to drop them in favour of Pickett, even tho you can tell he is already a better player. 

For me our forwardline is the biggest concern. We just have no contested marking targets down there. If we can't hit a player on the lead, we've lost the contest. I would honestly play Tmac deep, as he clearly is just lumbering around at CHF and moving at a glacial pace. Fritsch could give us more run playing half forward with Weideman. Ultimately tho, if one of Weideman or Tmac don't hit some red hot form, we are going to struggle to get out of the bottom 8. We just don't have enough avenues to goal, and even when we dominate through the middle, we very rarely translate that to scoreboard dominance, which means that when the going gets tough, the scoring disappears altogether. 

You've  made some good points here.

I am also in the camp of just getting Weideman in and play him for the rest of the year. We have [censored] around with his development and he needs continuity in his game. I am also in the thought of having all 3 of Jackson, Weid, and Mcdonald as our 3 key forward. Jackson to part time ruck which leaves Weideman and McDonald to just focus on being key forwards full time.

I also hate this whole playing Bayley Fritsch from deep full forward. Justin Plapp our forwards coach has a lot to answer to this. He's best utilised as a half forward which his clean kicking skills on display.

• Like 2