Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Demonland

34 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergard said:

Instead of talking about Weiderman coming in for Jackson, let's talk about Weiderman in for TMac.

Absolutely, Weid has been played out of position is fit and presents.

Smith was hopeless.  

A relief. That was it. Of course there is the positive that when a team looked destined to run over the top of us we somehow managed to pull it out, I can't ignore that but it's little consolation.

There were more negatives to come out of this game than positives. And there were definitely positives. Trac looking like the player we had hoped him to be, Harley Bennell - great to see him get through the game unscathed. He genuinely looked like he wanted to be there and I hope he strings together a good 4-5 week period of games. Max Gawn, absolute star and put on that clinic of ruckwork in the first half. Hunt could have a place as the pacey small opportunist forward, I really hope so anyway.

But my goodness there are so many holes. Apart from Max there are times when you know we probably won't take a contested mark for the rest of the game. Sideways kicking, tikitakka style football that just shows anything but confidence. The style that we play when on is excellent but it's obvious it can't be maintained for the whole game and this is where we need to be able to lock it down and control tempo. For as long as I can remember the gap between out best and worst is ridiculous. It's not even about the 4 or 5 goal streaks we concede without answering anymore. It's the fact that a team can apparently smash the opposition in clearances  in the first half and not just fall back in the second but completely reverse that to the point where you thought the teams swapped jumpers. I'm sorry but I cannot even consider this team serious until that gap shortens. I am not saying our team needs to play 4 quarters of brilliant contested high pressure footy, teams have lulls. However our lulls stink. If the opposition if having a purple patch with contested ball and hard ball gets we've still gotta be able to get our hands on it occasionally. We just completely stopped in this area.

Salem completely lost his kicking, Lever and May were not great, Joel Smith nearly cost us the game.

I am so sick and tired of sitting around with neutral football followers who watch a game like this and say "nah you should be right, you're 40 points up". Seriously please lord have mercy I'm about to bash my head into the wall due to the years of frustration hearing that. My attitude has never ever changed with us, get a lead, get more of a lead, just keep playing football. None of this relax your 4 goals up BS.

I don't know what this season holds for us. To make the 8 would be incredible but I see us finishing just out. Take it before a loss or draw and full credit. Singing the song without the captain looks bad and my word we really show what we are when we celebrate a win the way we did. That's enough.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Did you see Tomlinsons' attempts at overhead marks today? He's inept in that area for his size.

Rivers, Harmes and Joel Smith give us 3 mobile defenders with height who can hit the contests, they just need up field pressure and confidence to attack the ball or man.

The first quarter showed what the backline can do when the pressure is on. The backline's bigger problem was knowing their roles and finding the right balance.

The forward and mid accountability was - as usual - horrendous. 

Sorry I am a Smith fan but he was shizen today, no idea when to go or when to stay back on your man, total liability. Yes his first game down back but I worry now about his footy IQ. He has ability but how do you use it. I wonder if he is best used on the wing, looks like a limited future. I thought Tomlinson was okay today myself. He wasn’t recruited to take big marks. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dimmy said:

Yet in the the first qtr and until half way through the 2nd we looked good and organised and really played good pressure in the forward line. The thing was that we were not "bombing" (however that returned.

I think our defence was disjointed to say the least  We were genuinely down one tall ( because Lever does not play as a Tall and has no accountability)  I think he has taken over Jack Watts role as the side's pointer) . There seems to be no thinking in defence . on two occasions at least we had 2or 3 up none down (including some smal trying to get into the air.

Rivers overcame a nervous start to be really effective. His disposal and thinking with the ball in his hand is very good for someone so young. Harmes is a mid , Salem does not play opponents but must admit he does have good disposal skills. We need a Tom Stewart who lets opponents know he is in the area by his attack on the footy, maybe Tomlinson could fill that role. 

We either bring OMac back as a lockdown 1 on 1 or shift TMac back there . We did not miss Hibberd's bombs into the fwd line one bit.

I want Salem up forward, the kid has goal sense and would be a good kick going inside 50. He's wasted at half back I reckon.

1 hour ago, don't make me angry said:

Frost was sh@t last night, 1 less trun over king

Umm, it was tongue in cheek...?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't necessarily disagree but pretty rough to single out the kids when it was our leaders who failed

I'm not singling them out per se, and having them out there was a positive. Except when it wasn't. I guess all I'm saying is that as supporters we overlook mistakes depending on who's making them - but the cost is the same regardless. And there is a cost.

This kind of astute observation will probably be lost on the cheerleader nuffies here, but one of the big issues with forward entries was where the balls forward were being kicked from.

Too often the player with the ball didn’t run far enough so they ended up kicking floating long balls forward without any penetration.

A classic example was Brayshaw who could have run to the 50 (and had a shot) but instead kicked to an out-numbered Fritsch from about 80 metres out.

• Like 6

I liked the Rivers interview post match and want to give a shout out to the draft team. The gun half back we were gunna take debuted for Freo today but we took Jackson and then snatched Rivers out of the clutches of the Eagles. The selection makes sense as Rivers pointed out they are best mates, share accomodation now and have been playing footy together since they were 14.Rivers showed he has some special skill, runs hard and kicks well and having the two together is great in the future if the go home factor ever rears its ugly head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jetta manning up on the 204cm McKay is one of the most bizzare coaching decisions I've ever seen.

It happens so often and Nev gets seriously crunched on a regular basis.

It makes me mad to see it happen.

We're lucky he's so good at recovering.

17 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Has to be both body and mind with T Mc.

It's clear he has no agility or strength in the legs. Struggles to turn or jump.

But his mind seems awful as well. When he was shifted forward he got a new lease on life and confidence in a team that could really move the ball and give him a chance to clunk a few.

Now the team is struggling and he's not touching it much and it's clearly in his head. Something needs to change and fast.

Ok read this he aint got it!! 

12 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

FFS he gave the team aan absolute serve, hence why there was little interest in singing the song IMO

What?  They sang the song with gusto and could not even wait for the Catain to be there. If I was Gawn I would be giving them the, If you ever embaress me like that again I will smash the culprit in front of the cameras.  

8 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The first quarter showed what the backline can do when the pressure is on. The backline's bigger problem was knowing their roles and finding the right balance.

Yes and no on the first point.

They did not get a single inside 50 in the first 6 mins or so of the first quarter (in a 16 min) and very few after that.There were some good defensive efforts but by in large they were a result o pressure on the blues players kicking inside 50. 

Totally agree on the second. It is also why i thought it was risky being two new defenders in. But now that they have, if they think they have the right group they need to stick with it for a bit to allow them to gel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My name is legion said:

Jackson is only 18. Give him a break!

Don't get me wrong I wasn't knocking him. I would like them to have another key forward maybe Weid and ease Jackson into the team in a pocket of the bench.  I thought it was a big ask to play the role they wanted from him today and I acknowledge he has enormous upside. We have a history of burning youngsters

33 minutes ago, W I S E said:

You edited this post and it still reads like this? Are you okay?

No I am bamboozled, to think that Smith is good enough to hold a spot in the side.  Many have talked him up and l will talk him down. Not good enough he is a shocker. Makes mistakes dumb as they come.  Never really earned his place in the side start with.

Where are all his so called good games that he has played over the years. What does Goody see in him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That was disgusting on par with the Gold Coast game last year

But I fail to see how it's on Goodwin? The players came out with intensity and pressure in the first quarter then slacked off thinking the job was done. That's on the players not Goodwin. This had been going on for decades, doesn't matter which coach we have.

Fail to see how its on Goodwin?

The bloke is responsible for our habits. He has mentioned many many times about building good habits.

One of our habits is getting full of ourselves after a fast start (not that it happens often) and slowing to a virtual halt. If a Coach cant sort out that behaviour he is in the wrong job.

That it has been going on for decades say we are likely to have employed more rubbish coaches than most other teams. I dont include Roos as he started with a cupboard full of stale bread and at least made a Salad Sandwich out of it. Goodwin started with a Pantry from Masterchef and made Baked Beans on toast. We havent had a 3 course meal Coach for over 50 years.

Yes it's on him, as it would also be to his credit if we finally managed to shake those rusted on bad habits.

The buck stops with him. I really think he is a fraud as a coach. If he can prove me wrong i will put my hand up, but until then....

Edited by ding
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This kind of astute observation will probably be lost on the cheerleader nuffies here, but one of the big issues with forward entries was where the balls forward were being kicked from.

Too often the player with the ball didn’t run far enough so they ended up kicking floating long balls forward without any penetration.

A classic example was Brayshaw who could have run to the 50 (and had a shot) but instead kicked to an out-numbered Fritsch from about 80 metres out.

Doesn't seem to be any cheerleaders on here tonight Clint.

8 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Agree. We also got very stagnant when marking the ball between 80-100 metres from goal, many times we should have given off the hand pass run the 15 and drive the ball to 20 out or hit up the presenting forward rather than sitting the ball tmacs head 40 out from goal.

Let's see if goody can work out that "connection" which has been lacking for 25 straight games now 

• Like 1

Time to cut to the chase

T MAC CHB OR NOTHING

SMITH a FAN but not average tonight but cut some slack hasn't played for a while TRY CHF?

JACKO Must persevere with

WEEDS ........ Make or break give him extended time as key position forward

FRITCSH AND ANB..... LUURVE Themselves need to produce 4 quarter efforts Fritsch tries to be TOOOOO CUTE!

TOMLINSON ..Earn your dollars

JONES ... NEARLY TIME

NEV.. Last year so make it good

CLARRY , GAWNE, TRACC AND lesser extent VINEY kept us in game

RIVERS. WILL BE SPECIAL!!

BENNELL WILL BE INSTRUMENTAL IN OUR 2020 !!

NEED TO PLAY

AVB

WEEDS 

KOSSIE!! 

COACH .... ON NOTICE!!!!

Edited by picket fence

OK...

THE GOOD...

Rivers fit in nicely across half back and, after misjudging the pace of the game early, settled quite well.  Had a lot more speed than I thought and wasn't intimated into taking the game on.  Liked the physical side of his game

Bennell simply getting through the match was a huge win for him and the club.  He is a gun and, body permitting, will get better with every match this year.  He was solid, without being magical. 

Jackson Whilst he's not ready for senior football, you can definitely see the attributes that Taylor liked.  Will be a good player for us, but I'd look to Weid next week now that Jackson has had a taste.

Hunt Hasn't been part for the discussions in people's best 22s for quite some time but he showed today some great football smarts and looked fast, sharp and dangerous up forward.  The speed and timing of his leads inside 50 make him look like a handsome, blonde Jason Dunstall.

Gawn. He's a champion.  That a term that is thrown around all too much, but in this case it applies.  The tap outs he was feeding to our midfield, particularly in the first half were insane.  He was back in defense for some clutch marks and is a towering presence around the ground.  Looks fit and is moving very well.

Our first quarter - It was brilliant and regardless of what happened after that, we showed the brand of football that we are capable of and it had the Carlton 18 running for the bunker.  We were fast, aggressive and slick.  Obviously, this was not sustained to the intensity that is required to succeed at the top level, but that first quarter needs to be the standard that we strived toward for four quarters every game.

THE KINDA GOOD...

Petracca First half was excellent and his goal in the third is the kind of shot he used to try to give off.  He is edging closer and closer to the player we know he can be.  There was an opportunity in the last quarter to really put his stamp on the season, but he wasn't able to impose himself like he had early in the game.

Oliver Played well, but is and should be held to a higher standard than most.  Seemed to be kicking and carrying the ball more than  usual and played well when the game was there to be won. 

Viney Continued with his good form.  Whilst not as dominant as his preseason games and round one, his game today was better than what were were seeing for the last couple of years.  He's fit, healthy... and angry.

Langdon and Tomlinson Will roll them together as they were recruited together to play similar roles.  Both showed a bit today, without tearing the games apart.  They're still getting into the swing of things at the club and it looks to be a good piece of targeted recruiting.  Tomlinson's pass to Hunt was beautiful football.

THE NOT SO GOOD...

The defense When the team defense was up and running, we were looking good, but when the momentum turned, we fell apart too easily.  It is always good to keep a team to 7 goals, but it is a concern that we conceded 18 scoring shots to 14.  The second half saw some classic Melbourne plays where four players went up and no one stayed down.  Salem had enough of the ball to really hurt Carlton,  but he didn't have his usual precision and creativity and Lever and May were solid but far from imposing.

Joel Smith Many here love him.  I still don't see it.  He seems like more of an athlete than a footballer and makes some very poor decisions about when to and when not to go.  This may be in part due to inexperience, but I still can't recall him playing a particularly good game at senior level.  He should be selected when his form absolutely demands it.

Jones- Looked to be playing a different game plan to the rest of the team today.  Was holding things up when he should have been moving the ball quickly and kept bombing his kicks to contests.  He's got a hell of a lot of points in the bank, but he'll need to show a lot more next week or he could find himself keeping Hibberd company.

Forwards As the leaders of the line, Melksham and McDonald did not impose themselves on the game at all.  This would have been one of Melksham quietest games for the club and TMac was moving better than last year, but didn't look at all threatening.  Fritsch has talent and a great set of hands, b ut if he continues to miss straight-forward shots at goal, then there is no point him being there at all.  Should have had at least four today if he took advantage of his opportunities.

Fitness I know nothing can replicate the real thing, but we either weren't fit enough or didn't have the desire to push hard enough in the last quarter.  Either way, it's a real worry going forward.

BUT...

We won - and in what will be a close season, you've gotta take that.  I think we probably showed today our best and worst football.  Going forward from here, if the Melbourne from the first quarter turns up every week, we'll win more than wee lose.  If second half Melbourne become a regular visitor, it'll make a short season feel very long indeed.

• Like 14
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, DemonOX said:

Did u see that somewhere Pennant?

Yes it was on the broadcast I watched, it was ling it was just a blast to let them know he wasn't happy 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GCDee said:

Let's see if goody can work out that "connection" which has been lacking for 25 straight games now 

Let's see if the players can work out that "connection" which has been lacking for 25 straight games now.

• Love 1