Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Whispering_Jack

1 hour ago, Docs Demons said:

Not fussed on who gets a game. Just want players that are prepared to put in 110% and the midfield guys to finally realise you HAVE to run both ways. Nearly all our Mids just like to win the ball in middle/forward and are not prepared to gut run back to assist defence. Reason why WC Mids kicked goals and ours didn't. Our boys just trot along in middle of ground and play with no accountability. Look at some past footage and 3 or 4 of our players trotting around centre all by themselves when oppo have the ball. This is not good enough.

Imagine if Collingwood or Richmond or Hawthorn players did the same? The other guys in the team wouldn’t put up with it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, layzie said:

We need guys who are prepared to run both ways.

Perhaps if the AFL could trial moving walkways on the wings this year, like they have in airports. Our players could move up and down rapidly and with less fatigue.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSimcct7fr0Vaz_xk09LxX

Edited by John Demonic
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, layzie said:

We need guys who are prepared to run both ways.

For sure but what good is the running ability when out forward 50 entries stink. We need to be lethal coming out of the middle.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Petty or Bennell must come in for ANB. 2 potential guns that would be wasted as emergencies. If they are not fit then Hannnan gets a go. ANB must be dropped his poor form can not be tolerated. 

I think ANB probably gets a gig for his pressure. Not always tackles but the coaches love what he does. I’d pick both of Bennell and AVB ahead of him. But word is they won’t play round 2. Hannan I’m not sure if will be in the frame for selection but yeah I’d take him to. 

5 hours ago, loges said:

Everyone spruiking  Weid in for Brown is not really exciting me.

Seriously the worst team ever picked DP hi

Small and too light Harmes at CHB and Fritsch at CHF would be a disaster 

Hore is not AA material he is too light for the monsters and too slow fir the speedsters in defence.

Good intercept mark but we have Lever and can't have both in same defence.

Lockhart deserves spot and O MAc  is needed If 2 big talls in opposition.

Why Melksham instead of Clarry? In the first ruck DP?

AVB is not fit for R2 and Hannan  would need more match practice.

Weid has to start to provide a target also.

Petty underdone but has ability I acknowledge.

Brown  not up to it in R1 also.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 58er said:

Seriously the worst team ever picked DP hi

Small and too light Harmes at CHB and Fritsch at CHF would be a disaster 

Hore is not AA material he is too light for the monsters and too slow fir the speedsters in defence.

Good intercept mark but we have Lever and can't have both in same defence.

Lockhart deserves spot and O MAc  is needed If 2 big talls in opposition.

Why Melksham instead of Clarry? In the first ruck DP?

AVB is not fit for R2 and Hannan  would need more match practice.

Weid has to start to provide a target also.

Petty underdone but has ability I acknowledge.

Brown  not up to it in R1 also.

Most of the players mentioned in this post are barely VFL standard except for Harmes, Lever and Clarry.

2 minutes ago, President Dee Trump said:

Most of the players mentioned in this post are barely VFL standard except for Harmes, Lever and Clarry.

Fritsch is AFL standard and Petty and Lockhart and Weid are still potential 

also Hannam and AVB have had fitness issues and need a good block of games to get form and confidence.

Don't agree that All are VFL.

Pres D sorry 

2 hours ago, President Dee Trump said:

Imagine if Collingwood or Richmond or Hawthorn players did the same? The other guys in the team wouldn’t put up with it.

Correct. Love to have Penndles, Cotchin or Hodge in there letting these show ponies know exactly what is required. Only then will Clarry and his mates become elite players. Nothing less.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, BenF said:

For sure but what good is the running ability when out forward 50 entries stink. We need to be lethal coming out of the middle.

So that we have a hard working team that works and plays FOR one another...  The Key to success.

No lethal Players who are lazy,  and Bludge on teammates.   >>> This is the way to being 2nd best. and fail again.

Make these lethal players pull their weight,  or miss out.

The way forward is to reward the hard workers,  the two way runners,  and other talents,  when they work hard enough. and not before.

# reminiscing about ogan and wats.

3 hours ago, BenF said:

You build the work ethic first,   the basis of culture,   and add talents as they fall into the hard work line.

To do the opposing ways,  is to do the consistent Melbourne ways. and fall short again.

Your concept of skills,  without the guts and hard work,  is the Daniher years.   Fell short too many times,  and then fell into a big hole,  as the talents wore thin.   Left us with nothing.

I watched a game of us playing against Essendon a few years back, when Goodwin was still the coach there, i think Roosys first year here? 

Anyways it was the same story as Goodwin here, Essendon dominated the stats, huge number of inside 50's with few scores and no real system besides bomb it long and hope someone marks it

Essendon stats wise you'd think won by 80 points

and they lost the game. 

45 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

I watched a game of us playing against Essendon a few years back, when Goodwin was still the coach there, i think Roosys first year here? 

Anyways it was the same story as Goodwin here, Essendon dominated the stats, huge number of inside 50's with few scores and no real system besides bomb it long and hope someone marks it

Essendon stats wise you'd think won by 80 points

and they lost the game. 

was reading on the Bombers fan site that Hird used these tactics for a season or so and failed so it could well be where Goodwin got the idea.

We all know it doesn't work consistently....just seems our coach doesn't

On 5/29/2020 at 9:15 PM, Hunt29 said:

My guess is in  - Jones Salem and Weideman. 

Out - Spargo Brown and Bedford. 

That’s how I think the club will go. I’d probably keep Bedford in for ANB. But he’s a favourite and the coaches rate his pressure. 

Bedford will be much better than ANB Has ever been! IMV

14 hours ago, Hunt29 said:

I think ANB probably gets a gig for his pressure. Not always tackles but the coaches love what he does. I’d pick both of Bennell and AVB ahead of him. But word is they won’t play round 2. Hannan I’m not sure if will be in the frame for selection but yeah I’d take him to. 

Never be any good while we persist with ANB.

On 5/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, chook fowler said:

i'm not a huge fan but his round 1 form was reasonable and i think it all depends on match ups. He is not bad against the big, not so mobile key forwards. Time will tell. 

That form, Chook, was reasonable ... but Tom would have done better from CHB. Yes, OMac gets back to the goals - but after the ball possession has been lotteried amongst opposition forwards. Under laws of averages, I'd estimate that the return on investment for OMac is around one good quarter every three or four games, sometimes one or two good quarters when opposition forwards have started to tire. Mobility-wise, much less. I'd hope that the return was improved - even slightly - but like the Weed, it just ain't happening. 

On 5/30/2020 at 4:51 PM, Paulo said:

Had a big year when we just missed the finals, I think in his second year, after that season I thought he had just as much talent as our other youngsters, at his best he is easily best22, he seems like he is the sort of player that needs a couple of slaps around the chops before a game to fire him up, when he plays with that fire and belief he is very good.

I really hope he gets back to playing the way he did that year, as he could be that missing link we need.

I hope Goodwin puts a bit of time into him and really get in his ear and fires him up a bit

Maybe throw him on a Dangerfield a Kelly or a trealor as a run with every now and then

Hunt has never recovered from when he knocked himself out running into the Crows ruckman hip at speed!

Hasn't ever got back to his form pre that knock!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, Paulo said:

Could bennell play as a deep forward early this year, until he gains enough match fitness to push further up the ground, 

Bennell.   Weid   Kossie

Fritta.      Tmac.      Tracc

Langdon.     Oliver.      Tomlinson

Salem.    Lever.     Harmes

Jetta.    May.      Hibbo

Max.    Brayshaw.     Viney

Smith.    Jones.    Melk.     Jackson

Bennell on bench

Fritta in pocket

Melksham on flank

OMac full back  May CHB  Lever back pocket or half back

Hibberd - bench or Lockhart 

Jackson - out

I firmly believe we need to include Jackson. He is going to be very good. he will contribute even in his 1st, but get games into him. We did that with Weid. It is now time to blood Jackson.

• Like 1

Couple of weeks out, but what the hay!

FB: JETTA.            MAY.                 LEVER.  

HB: HIBBERD.   MCDONALD.      SALEM. 

?LANGDON.    OLIVER.   TOMLINSON.  

HF: BENNELL.MCDONALD.MELKSHAM.  

FF: FRITSCH.   WEIDEMAN.      PICKETT.  

Fol: GAWN.         VINEY.        PETRACCA. 

Bench: JONES.  HARMES. BRAYSHAW. LOCKHART. 

EMERGENCIES: ANB, AVB, SPARROW, BEDFORD, SMITH, JACKSON.

Edited by TeamPlayedFine39
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Couple of weeks out, but what the hay!

FB: JETTA.            MAY.                 LEVER.  

HB: HIBBERD.   MCDONALD.      SALEM. 

?LANGDON.    OLIVER.   TOMLINSON.  

HF: BENNELL.MCDONALD.MELKSHAM.  

FF: FRITSCH.   WEIDEMAN.      PICKETT.  

Fol: GAWN.         VINEY.        PETRACCA. 

Bench: JONES.  HARMES. BRAYSHAW. LOCKHART. 

EMERGENCIES: ANB, AVB, SPARROW, BEDFORD, SMITH, JACKSON.

Not a bad side. I don't believe Bennell will play yet and would have Sparrow in. I would probably go with Petty instead of OMAC. How long will it be before the likes of Jones, Jetta and Hibberd come into question. At this stage you would have to pick them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dl4e said:

How long will it be before the likes of Jones, Jetta and Hibberd come into question. At this stage you would have to pick them

Increasing question marks over these players. If they cannot deliver against Carlton I think we have our answer.

My concern is that Goodwin will not have the players up mentally for this game. To say we need to win this one is an understatement.

In: Weid, Vanders, Smith, Bennell, Jones, Salem. 

Out: Brown, Spargo, Hibberd, ANB, Lockhart and Bedford. 

I have put the players in he order of who is replacing who, I think all the ins are upgrades on who they are replacing. Smith for Hibberd is a difficult one but my 'eye test' says that Hibberd has had a substantial decline in disposal efficiency which leads to bad turnovers and some of the poor inside 50s (and then bad goals against for being out of position). Smith provides better defensive cover and provides overlap without the turnovers. ANB has better pressure than Bennell but Bennell might touch the ball 6 times for 3 goals and 3 score assists, which in my view will have more impact on winning the game. Really wanted to get Jackson and Hannan (if he were 100%) in, probably the unlucky ones. 

There is a case that we could make 27% upgrade to our round 1 team, which gives us a great chance to get back into the Finals conversation. Forward 50s will improve with better decision makers with higher disposal efficiency on the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Not a bad side. I don't believe Bennell will play yet and would have Sparrow in. I would probably go with Petty instead of OMAC. How long will it be before the likes of Jones, Jetta and Hibberd come into question. At this stage you would have to pick them.

I'm quite confident that Jones can make a contribution, especially with shortened quarters/season.  He's got some real potential forward of centre with short stints in the middle.

Hibberd is a big worry for me and could come under real pressure if they persist with Harmes at half back.  It seems that they want Harmes to be playing the role that Hibberd was traded in for.  Strong body, accountable and long, accurate kick.  Hibberd has been battling for the last two years, but injuries in the back half have kept the pressure off.

I too would be surprised if Bennell plays, but could easily see Sparrow, Bedford, AVB or ANB filling that position.  Sparrow and Bedford in particular were showing some very promising signs this year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigMacjnr said:

There is a case that we could make 27% upgrade to our round 1 team, which gives us a great chance to get back into the Finals conversation. Forward 50s will improve with better decision makers with higher disposal efficiency on the field. 

27% !

I find in 94% cases where people quote percentages that they are 48% rubbish, the other 67% is lies

• Like 2