Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Sign in to follow this  
Supreme_Demon

What ever happened to the Demon Summit?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 

Firstly, does anyone remember the Demon Summit? I think Jimmy Stynes organsed it back in 2011 or 2012? I cannot remember exactly what year.

 

Basically, it was a conference or "summit" to look at ideas and strategies to help the Melbourne Football Club to become successful again both on and off the field. At least I think that is what it was for?

 

Besides, asking if anyone here at Demonland remembers it, I was going to ask if it was worthwhile doing again? We could do a Zoom video conference version of the Demon Summit this time?

 

I certainly think it would be worthwhile doing again to see what we can do to help the team we love. It could be something done every 4 or 5 years (or every 10 years at the most) to look at new and clever ideas to grow the Melbourne Football Club and it would also increase members engagement with the Melbourne Football Club. Maybe combine it with our AGM as an option?

 

Anyway, besides being a Melbourne Demons member and supporting the club that I have barracked for my entire I wanted to look outside the box for different ideas and strategies to make the Demons successful again.

 

The more creation of new ideas and brain-storming we can do the better in my opinion.

Edited by Supreme_Demon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember attending the first one as a young fella, and working in a small group of 10 people talking about fan engagement and getting kids to follow the Dees. The group contained Ron Barassi and a board member at the time whose name I can't remember. We sat around with butchers paper and brainstormed a number of different ideas, some fabulous and some not so.

I know as a teacher, I was able to give them some insight into what kids want from their sports teams/stars. Melbourne have a diverse and skilled supporter group. If the club came away with 2-3 ideas over the course of the day then surely it's got to be worth doing again?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember we would grandly announce a five year plan every three years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a Schwab initiative that involved colouring and whiteboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I understand that it failed. Which is why I asked about it because it basically went down the memory hole.

 

But is it a worthwhile initiative to bring back the Demon Summit? Or best to make a better assessment at the end of the year? If not, that's fine.

 

 

However, it is a bit disappointing to see so many negative comments. We need to be both realistic but also positive with our attitudes to help the Melbourne Football Club.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

 

I understand that it failed. Which is why I asked about it because it basically went down the memory hole.

 

But is it a worthwhile initiative to bring back the Demon Summit? Or best to make a better assessment at the end of the year? If not, that's fine.

 

 

However, it is a bit disappointing to see so many negative comments. We need to be both realistic but also positive with our attitudes to help the Melbourne Football Club.

 

This is Demonland, looking for something positive, try another forum

The miseries on here love a good wallow

I attended a 'group' as well, I said MFC supporters whinge and whine, I got howled, next hour and a half, a whinge fest

Read some of comments on Facebook/Twitter for Ask the Coach 

Supporters, as if

We have had a Members Forum last year, thankfully we only had one comedian

The rest don't have the Kahunad to stand up in public and actually face CEO/Coach/Players, much safer to snipe from behind a keyboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

This is Demonland, looking for something positive, try another forum

The miseries on here love a good wallow

I attended a 'group' as well, I said MFC supporters whinge and whine, I got howled, next hour and a half, a whinge fest

Read some of comments on Facebook/Twitter for Ask the Coach 

Supporters, as if

We have had a Members Forum last year, thankfully we only had one comedian

The rest don't have the Kahunad to stand up in public and actually face CEO/Coach/Players, much safer to snipe from behind a keyboard

Thanks for your insight Peter, (that was only half tongue in cheek). I was sitting at home last night contemplating how I can contribute to the club and at the same time how could I get some of my questions answered.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. I would pay $1k  to sit down at dinner with Goodie and be able to ask or propose 2 questions or comments over 10 mins (with no interruptions) and let him reply over a 10 min period. I'll pay for my own dinner at whatever venue. That would also give the opportunity for others to do the same over a 2 hr dinner/lunch. Yes, I know we would need to allow some additional time for Goodie to contemplate and enjoy his lunch. So, call it open to a max of 8 contributors for 2 hours.

I understand the impost on the coach's time during the season  but everyone should be doing lunch.

Put another way, lunch twice a week (in season or out) if we got $8k per, is an extra $160k to the club if we just ran it for 10 weeks of the year. One condition; it would only be with the head coach.

Yes, there will be people saying "I can't afford that and I want my questions answered". Well go in to a pool of 10 people contributing a $100 or 100 people contributing $10 and hold a lottery for the representative and a vote on the 2 questions you want asked.

Have at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

This is Demonland, looking for something positive, try another forum

The miseries on here love a good wallow

I attended a 'group' as well, I said MFC supporters whinge and whine, I got howled, next hour and a half, a whinge fest

Read some of comments on Facebook/Twitter for Ask the Coach 

Supporters, as if

We have had a Members Forum last year, thankfully we only had one comedian

The rest don't have the Kahunad to stand up in public and actually face CEO/Coach/Players, much safer to snipe from behind a keyboard

So what you're saying is you derailed a discussion. That's not like you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 1:44 AM, Supreme_Demon said:

 

Firstly, does anyone remember the Demon Summit? I think Jimmy Stynes organsed it back in 2011 or 2012? I cannot remember exactly what year.

 

Basically, it was a conference or "summit" to look at ideas and strategies to help the Melbourne Football Club to become successful again both on and off the field. At least I think that is what it was for?

 

Besides, asking if anyone here at Demonland remembers it, I was going to ask if it was worthwhile doing again? We could do a Zoom video conference version of the Demon Summit this time?

 

I was there.  I remember leaving there thinking "bet they don't do this again".

I'm just commenting on the group I was part of.

There were positive contributions, but so much time taken up by complaining, negative commentary & self interest. It was just impossible to focus on anything positive.

I remember at one stage wondering whether Jim's objective was to suss out the the supporter base he was dealing with.

The positives from my perspective - I shook Ron Barassi by the hand. I shook Jim Stynes  by the hand. Saw Rod Grinter & James Macdonald at the Members Bar. Got to speak to Dean Bailey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GM11 said:

I was there.  I remember leaving there thinking "bet they don't do this again".

I'm just commenting on the group I was part of.

There were positive contributions, but so much time taken up by complaining, negative commentary & self interest. It was just impossible to focus on anything positive.

I remember at one stage wondering whether Jim's objective was to suss out the the supporter base he was dealing with.

The positives from my perspective - I shook Ron Barassi by the hand. I shook Jim Stynes  by the hand. Saw Rod Grinter & James Macdonald at the Members Bar. Got to speak to Dean Bailey.

 

I hear what you are saying, but you cannot blame the supporter base for being negative when there are seasons like 2019. It is just unacceptable, but the MFC keeps having them. That is not the fault of supporters or Members. 
it is internal

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FireInTheBennelly said:

So what you're saying is you derailed a discussion. That's not like you.

No, I didn't derail, round table, first question 'define a Melbourne supporter'

Hence my answer, derailing is the catch all used by posters to try and diminish the input of any poster who dares to step outside the herd mentality, usually on display here, and express a different opinion

Unfortunately, the round table deteriorated into a whinge fest, as participants brought up their pet peeve, and repeated it, until the rest of the participants gave in, due to frustration or sheer exasperation 

Sound familiar?

I stand by my comment, used to think Chelsea supporters were bad, poor amateurs compared to MFC supporters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

 

I stand by my comment, used to think Chelsea supporters were bad, poor amateurs compared to MFC supporters 

So why do you hang around so much if you carry such a low opinion of MFC Members??

you, who a week before Neeld was sacked was telling everybody here that everything was fine and we should pull our heads in. 
and then last years pre season your observations were just plain wrong. 
 

What gives you the righht to hold such moral ground?

Don’t tell me i am a worse supporter than a Chelsea Supporter. I hate that Club. 

Edited by Sir Why You Little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

No, I didn't derail, round table, first question 'define a Melbourne supporter'

Hence my answer, derailing is the catch all used by posters to try and diminish the input of any poster who dares to step outside the herd mentality, usually on display here, and express a different opinion

Unfortunately, the round table deteriorated into a whinge fest, as participants brought up their pet peeve, and repeated it, until the rest of the participants gave in, due to frustration or sheer exasperation 

Sound familiar?

I stand by my comment, used to think Chelsea supporters were bad, poor amateurs compared to MFC supporters 

I stand by mine as well.

At the first question you decided to slag off the very people sitting at the table, due to your stereotyping of MFC supporters. There are complainers everywhere, it's life, and if there is one club that deserves complaints..... What on earth do Chelsea supporters have to whinge about? Not winning everything, every year? My heart bleeds.

In the interests of being constructive, try answering the question again without attacking the subject.

For the record, I'd say MFC supporters are far too willing to accept mediocrity and would rather walk away and wait for success, then try to push the club to be accountable, and ultimately, successful.

Opinions, they're like bums, but they're still allowed for all.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2020 at 10:50 PM, Satyriconhome said:

Didn't say that, I said all the points have been discussed ad infinitum, especially on here

 

On 5/14/2020 at 1:05 PM, Satyriconhome said:

So it will eventually lead to the shutdown of Demonland then, what will the opinionated do then

 

On 5/15/2020 at 3:06 PM, Satyriconhome said:

Nah, wouldn't bother, this site is really becoming boring and tedious, same old same old repeated ad nauseam, reason I haven't been reading or been online as much

 

On 5/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, Satyriconhome said:

Knowledge? That's drawing a long bow

Pessimistic opinion, hindsight revisionism would be more apt

There are supposedly long standing members and supporters on here, not being happy with what was occurring, did they do anything about it     say voting out board members etc   nah too hard   easier to snioe from the sidelines

 

On 5/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, Satyriconhome said:

So, let's hear it, have we posters who are responsible for the basket case of a club that some on here keep repeating it is?

 

On 5/19/2020 at 11:24 AM, Satyriconhome said:

So the Hogan and Watts trades were good, not according to other threads, the team has gone nowhere since

Please explain

 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:35 PM, Satyriconhome said:

I was just unsure,  some of the normal miseries were actually praising something the Club did, thought I had slipped into a parallel universe, but then you repled, all is well

Hindsight revisionism again, sad that the 2 Messiahs both turned out to be Naughty Boys instead

 

On 5/20/2020 at 8:55 PM, Satyriconhome said:

Oh good, yet another thread for the miseries to vent

Supporters?  

 

17 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

This is Demonland, looking for something positive, try another forum

The miseries on here love a good wallow

I attended a 'group' as well, I said MFC supporters whinge and whine, I got howled

 

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

No, I didn't derail, round table, first question 'define a Melbourne supporter'

Hence my answer, derailing is the catch all used by posters to try and diminish the input of any poster who dares to step outside the herd mentality, usually on display here, and express a different opinion

Unfortunately, the round table deteriorated into a whinge fest

Go get some fresh air Saty. There’s only one person on here who is bringing the forum down with their constant whinging and whining. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologise for this thread turning into a slanging match. That certainly wasn't my intention.

 

I simply want to look at new ideas and possibilities to help the Melbourne Football Club become successful again.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Go get some fresh air Saty. There’s only one person on here who is bringing the forum down with their constant whinging and whining. 

Whingeing, please get the spelling right, you will see how many whiny posts there were, that required me to pointing e out, some factual examples always help to illustrate an opinion

I like the majority of MFC supporters, to answer @Sir Why You Little, it is just the core group of miseries on here who try to pummel everybody into the their way of thinking, by using the Trump playbook, repeating the same opinion, sometimes phrased differently, ad nauseam, as if it was fact

It is also sad that 'hate' is used so many times on this board, such a wasteful emotion

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Whingeing, please get the spelling right, you will see how many whiny posts there were, that required me to pointing e out, some factual examples always help to illustrate an opinion

I like the majority of MFC supporters, to answer @Sir Why You Little, it is just the core group of miseries on here who try to pummel everybody into the their way of thinking, by using the Trump playbook, repeating the same opinion, sometimes phrased differently, ad nauseam, as if it was fact

It is also sad that 'hate' is used so many times on this board, such a wasteful emotion

But you are talking to yourself. You are the only person on here that uses the word “Hate”

You don’t like the MFC Supporter... so why are you here??

The Blue Shorts??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I apologise for this thread turning into a slanging match. That certainly wasn't my intention.

 

I simply want to look at new ideas and possibilities to help the Melbourne Football Club become successful again.

 

Keep going Supreme. There is only one person who is bringing the thread down. We all want success. 
last year took a lot out of me...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It failed

most management by committee does

how did kevin07's 2020 summit go?  iirc kevin rejected 133 out of 135 proposals with hardly a murmur from the 4th estate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

most management by committee does

how did kevin07's 2020 summit go?  iirc kevin rejected 133 out of 135 proposals with hardly a murmur from the 4th estate

A camel is a horse designed by a committee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...