Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Artificial Crowd Noise

Demonland

Poll  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Saw something on Channel News Asia, a Singaporean news station today, about a Taiwanese baseball team who have resumed playing without crowds. They had introduced artificial crowd noise and it was impressive. They actually had their fans send in chant videos and played them on the screen at key moments in play. No reason the AFL couldn’t do something similar. Given that people can gather in houses with up to 5 others, I’d expect there will be a few footy gathering happening and it might just have some merit. Whether they should play crowd sounds throughout play is another matter. 

• Like 2

Bloody hate the way they make a racket basketball style after goals, American garbage, we don't need a canned soundtrack. They could track tweeted feedback.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's ridiculous that the AFL has accepted that games are to be 'crowd free' and surely they need to challenge govenments and push for at least some admittance of live spectators of some description into grounds.

In my view, the below should all be quite feasible:

1.  Permit family and/or an invited guest of each of the players to watch from inside the stadium;

2.  A limited number of somewhere in the rehlm of 100 - 1000 supporters from each club to attend the ground in segregated, physically distant allocated seating.  Could allow a certain number of premium members/sponsors seats and put the others in a members lottery to provide some incentive and reward for club members continued contributions during these challenging times.

Either or both of the above would result in a far superior TV viewing experience as they would provide at least some level of non manufacturered atmosphere.

As an asides, Fox Footy's attempt to compensate for the lack of crowd atmosphere by playing little musical jingles as the ball was bought back to the centre after goals was worse than having near silence of only the players voices audible.

• Like 2

The Bundesliga which started last weekend had a choice where you could have crowd noise as an option. Apparently the majority chose no crowd noise.

More importantly I don't need the commentators at their usual overhyped selves. Time to just describe the play and let us get involved.

I think Moonshadows idea of your favourite soundtrack has merit. Whenever Oscar has the ball I could have Jaws

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

Saw something on Channel News Asia, a Singaporean news station today, about a Taiwanese baseball team who have resumed playing without crowds. They had introduced artificial crowd noise and it was impressive. They actually had their fans send in chant videos and played them on the screen at key moments in play. No reason the AFL couldn’t do something similar. Given that people can gather in houses with up to 5 others, I’d expect there will be a few footy gathering happening and it might just have some merit. Whether they should play crowd sounds throughout play is another matter. 

The South Korean attempt!  Lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/18/south-korean-football-team-apologises-for-using-sex-dolls-to-fill-stands

South Korean football team apologises for using sex dolls to fill stands

Paging @Bitter but optimistic

5379.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/18/south-korean-football-team-apologises-for-using-sex-dolls-to-fill-stands

5379.jpg

Stadium looks emptier with just a few seats filled.

• Like 1

Watched some of the German Football on the weekend. I watch it regularly when in Asia. But without crowds, i could only handle 15-20 minutes 

I understand Clubs want to play. People need to get paid, but my interest will be cursory until crowds return 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

It's ridiculous that the AFL has accepted that games are to be 'crowd free' and surely they need to challenge govenments and push for at least some admittance of live spectators of some description into grounds.

1.  Permit family and/or an invited guest of each of the players to watch from inside the stadium;

2.  A limited number of somewhere in the rehlm of 100 - 1000 supporters from each club to attend the ground in segregated, physically distant allocated seating.  Could allow a certain number of premium members/sponsors seats and put the others in a members lottery to provide some incentive and reward for club members continued contributions during these challenging times.

Either or both of the above would result in a far superior TV viewing experience as they would provide at least some level of non manufacturered atmosphere.

As an asides, Fox Footy's attempt to compensate for the lack of crowd atmosphere by playing little musical jingles as the ball was bought back to the centre after goals was worse than having near silence of only the players voices audible.

Yeah that music was absurd.

50,000 tablets and laptops with attached speakers.

Each one supporting a video or audio call from a supporter.

Membership gets you access to a designated link/device for all home games. 

Ticket prices get you individual games.

Crowd noise solved.  Supporters involved.  Money spun from straw.

Make it happen.

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

5379.jpg

mmmm .. overdressed for their purpose but ….. I must say …. a very high quality product.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

mmmm .. overdressed for their purpose but ….. I must say …. a very high quality product.

Yes indeed, first time they have dressed. 
the fittings would have been interesting 

9 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Completely agree on the Fox Footy decision to play music after goals, cringe and also takes you “out” of the game. It works for the lab stuff because it’s unique, but every goal replay is just distracting. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Bloody hate the way they make a racket basketball style after goals, American garbage, we don't need a canned soundtrack. They could track tweeted feedback.

Yes What about the dreadful organ music?

Good grief.

• Like 1

Yes, let's have fake crowd noise. It will add to the experience just as much as when a comedy show has canned laughter. So enhance!

Why stop there? Why have a stadium at all? Play everything at Casey or Gosch's and the TV people can superimpose the stands, and the crowds, and the noise. How much easier for the advertisers. The "crowds" can spontaneously hold up placards, en masse, with stirring messages such as "prices are DOWN this week at Coles". Hamish's half time interviews with the kiddies will not be so cringe-inducing when they're scripted with a CGI kidlet (focus group tested for maximum cuteness) who never fails to mention that he's going with his dad for a sausage at Bunnings, where prices are everyday low.

The dumbing down of society seems to be accelerating. Do we really need our ears filled to enjoy the spectacle in front of us? Nothing beats the electric atmosphere of a huge crowd on edge -- the players feed on it too, and the event as a whole feeds on itself. But we don't need the artifice when that's not the reality.

What happened when the Southern Stand was demolished and games were played at the G? Were huge tarps with a fake stand painted on erected to make it look like there weren't piles of dirt and steel girders everywhere? No, because that's what really happened. In this virus era, no crowds. That's what's really happening.

If we're going to fake everything for the audience, we might as well be living in American Idol or The X Factor. (So, that's a no from me.)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

They have that many sex dolls in South Korea? What a very strange country.

11 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Spot on!

12 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

5379.jpg

That’s certainly not the team I saw hahah. They did however use avatar like cardboard humans that looked like Japanese manga characters

I will say this, to anyone jumping on here making fun of channel 7 and the AFL for doing this - what else do you want them to do?

I saw a comment about lobbying the governments to have crowds? Don't be ridiculous.

I think the difference was substantial and if we have to play without a crowd, then having the background crowd noise is a good way to take people's minds off the fact there is no crowd.

I'd also like to see 7 and the AFL get creative with it. Maybe have fans send in photos of themselves and lucky ones get cut outs in the crowd or something. 

It's a sh*t situation but everyone just needs to suck it up and stop complaining every time something comes out.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:55 AM, Collar-Jazz-Knee said:

I will say this, to anyone jumping on here making fun of channel 7 and the AFL for doing this - what else do you want them to do?

I saw a comment about lobbying the governments to have crowds? Don't be ridiculous.

I think the difference was substantial and if we have to play without a crowd, then having the background crowd noise is a good way to take people's minds off the fact there is no crowd.

I'd also like to see 7 and the AFL get creative with it. Maybe have fans send in photos of themselves and lucky ones get cut outs in the crowd or something. 

It's a sh*t situation but everyone just needs to suck it up and stop complaining every time something comes out.

Having a crowd of 10k at a stadium is no different to having people flock to Bunnings or Kmart. MCG with ten thousand people, all socially distancing. You could essentially have an entire row to yourself. It isn't fanciful and I expect this is what will have before the season's end. There will be no food or drink sold. They will not open bars. You will have designated arrival times and most likely have to wear a mask. They will make you santise your hands before and after bathroom use. I really don't see what would be so wrong with it. 

Edited by Leoncelli_36
  • Like 2

Just now, Leoncelli_36 said:

Having a crowd of 10k at a stadium is no different to having people flock to Bunnings or Kmart. MCG wil ten thousand people, all socially distancing. You could essentially have an entire row to yourself. It isn't fanciful and I expect this is what will have before the season's end. There will be no food or drink sold. They will not open bars. You will have designated arrival times and most likely have to wear a mask. They will make you santise your hands before and after bathroom use. I really don't see what would be so wrong with it. 

The issue is they would then have to employ staff to monitor where people are sitting, man the ticket gates etc. So 10,000 tickets probably won't cover that.

Also, how do you choose who gets to go and who doesn't?