Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Round 1 Team

Guest the Sorcerer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B: Whelan - Carroll - Miller

HB: Bell - Rivers - Frawley

C: Bruce - Jones - Johnstone

HF: Davey - Bate - Green

F: Sylvia - Neitz - Robertson

R: White - McLean - McDonald

I: Jamar - Moloney - C.Johnson - Bartram

E: Yze - Pickett - Bizzell

Sylvia wont play round 1. He is the only player not to play a practice match due to injury. He still needs to complete a pre-season fitness program before he can even be considered. So he will likely not be playing until a few rounds into the season at least. Batram had his first match today in months, and from reporta played a half and did well. Doubt he will play round 1, as he isnt fit enough, but will definately be in the side after a few rounds one would think.

Frawley may be injured also, as he was a late withdrawl from the match against Geelong I understand? And he would have been borderline selection anyway.

Yze takes Sylvias spot. Bizzell take Frawleys spot. Pickett takes Batrams spot. Fiddle round with positioning, and that seems pretty good.

I haven't really read everyone else's yet, but I'll do that after posting mine...

B: Whelan Carroll Bell

HB: Ward Rivers Bizzell

C: Johnstone McDonald Green

HF: Pickett Miller Bate

F: Robertson Neitz Davey

Ruck: White McLean Bruce

Int: Jamar Yze Jones CJ

Em: Moloney Holland Wheatley

Brown, Buckley and Bartram unlucky to miss out. Bartram only because he's injured. Buckley because he needs just a few more weeks until he comes in and does a Bate. Brown just has too many competitors, but could easily take Ward's spot.

Underlined are the definites, and there a LOT of them. Miller is a definite only because of Dunny's injury, and his game at Kardinia yesterday. Jamar is only a definite because PJ's a way off just yet. Other than that the 17 listed are clearly our best 17. The Holland debate is alive and well, and ordinarily I'd have him in a second against the Saints, but Hamill's out, and Reiwoldt and Kosi are underdone. If he was picked, I'd be content. But someone good would have to miss out. Probably the Biz.

The following are the maybes with their replacements -

Ward - Could easily be replaced by Brown. They fulfill a VERY similar role. For the record I reckon Ward isn't all that far off being a definite at this stage. He's not the worst player at the club. And he has weapons, though kicking's obviously not one of them.

Bizzell - I snuck him in, but we all know who could take his spot. Any of the up and coming small or tall defenders. I'm happy with what he showed in the preseason though. Holland is most likely to step in. I reckon Wheatley could be the smoky. He looks like he's had a good run at training. Also, Yze and the Biz could swap. MAYBE Ferg. Maybe.

Pickett - Oh God who knows?! He's just too good a player to dismiss and I liked enough of what I saw last week at Sandy. But I picked him with little confidence. If he's out, I'd select Moloney to go through the guts and maybe Bate or Green, possibly Bruce to go forward.

Yze - Controversial perhaps? And only just. Also, I'd be surprised if he started on the bench. Ward and he will probably swap. Again, Moloney would be the 1st emergency.

CJ - He really should be a definite. You could pick a number of guys in that 4th interchange spot, but he's clearly the most deserving. Only a fraction behind Jones on the selection table based on the pre-season.

I can't believe I've left out Moloney. I'd love to see him play in someone like Byron's spot. I reckon if he doesn't play round one, he'll come in for round 2 for whoever was crap/slow/injured and stay there.

CJ - He really should be a definite. You could pick a number of guys in that 4th interchange spot, but he's clearly the most deserving. Only a fraction behind Jones on the selection table based on the pre-season.

CJ isn't fighting for that 4th interchange spot. He has sealed a starting 18 berth. He currently is our buzz player, and has probably been the best performer in the 4 or so games.

moloney will play as will holland given the team we're up against. i dont see bizz or miller or CJ really taking a gehrig if gets going.

bizz and ward are going for the same spot IMO.

Holland's far from a certainty, and the team we're playing against has 3 talls, two of them short of a run. I believe we can drop a tall defender for some more pace (we may need it).

I'd love it if Moloney played, but at th expense of who?

Now that we have completed all our pre-season games, here is my 22 for round 1:

Whelan Carroll Holland

CJ Rivers Ward

TJ Bruce Green

Pickett Miller Davey

Robbo Neitz Yze

White McLean McDonald

int: Jamar, Jones, Moloney, Bate

I suppose the most controversial omission is Bell. I love his attack on the ball and the man, but he lacks a football brain and causes too many turnovers. Eventually he will replace Ward, but at the moment I would rather have the dash created off half-back by Ward. We saw last year agaisnt Fremantle that we were too slow. The one thing Ward has is pace, so that gets him the nod over Bell.

Love that interchange bench!

I am as dissapointed with Yze as everyone here, but I still think he is in our best 22. He isn't the player he once was, but he is still a matchwinner and I would give him a chance to prove his critics wrong round 1.

deeboy, I would put my house on Bell playing round 1. If I had one. He's an absolute certainty as there's no reason whatsoever not to select him. His form's been sensational, he's played all 4 pre-season games, he's done his first full pre-season in a while. You could argue that since Wrecker is a touch underdone, he's in our top 3 most likely defenders along with Rivers and Carroll.

If it's your 22, and not a 22 prediction then I apologise, but to be honest I can't see why ANYONE wouldn't have him in the 22. Startling omission.

Whelan Carroll Holland

CJ Rivers Bell

TJ Bruce Moloney

Green Miller Davey

Robbo Neitz Yze

White McLean McDonald

int: Jamar, Jones, Pickett, Bate

emerg: bizzel, ward, bartram

injury list:

Frawley (very close to best 22)

dunn (in my 22 when fully fit)

My team has changed slightly as well.

B: Bizzell, Carroll, Whelan

HB: C Johnson, Holland, Rivers

C: Johnstone, Bruce, Green

HF: Bate, Miller, Pickett

F: Davey, Neitz, Robertson

FOLL: White, McLean, McDonald

I/C: Bell, Jamar, Jones, Moloney

EMG: Brown, Ward, Yze

No offence guys... am a huge Holland fan myself however...

I don't think he has the legspeed to match up on the G train or St Nick (If he plays)....

Holland was convincingly beaten by both in the final last year. Whoever had Holland on them was sent back to the square and beat him on the lead every time. If both play our tall backs will be stretched...

Carroll is capable of taming one... we need a fit Rivers if we are to have a chance.

Hopefully Holland proves me wrong.... and hopefully Miller is not sent back, if he wants to be a forward he now has 6 weeks to prove himself.

Very hard to select our team due to injuries and patchy form by nearly every player.

B: WHELAN, CARROLL, HOLLAND

HB: BELL, RIVERS, WARD

C: JOHNSTONE, MCLEAN, GREEN

HF: C.JOHNSON, MILLER, BRUCE

F: ROBERTSON, NEITZ, DAVEY

FOLL: WHITE, JONES, MCDONALD

IC: MOLONEY, BATE, BARTRAM, JAMAR

EMERG: YZE, BROWN, FERGUSON

If Rivers is ruled out and Riewoldt is also ruled out then Brown should play cause the Saints will play small up forward.

If Riewoldt is fit then we have no choice to put Ferguson in cause he's the only tall back we have left.

If Bartram isn't fit enough then Brown should play.

Pickett has had virtually no pre season so if Yze has to prove himself then Pickett should probably have to do the same.

If Rivers, Bartram and Riewoldt are all out then both Yze and Brown should play.

Bate will be the unlucky one who misses out, he needs to find consistency in his game instead of showing spurts of his talent throughout the game

B: Whelan - Carroll - Bell

HB: Ward - Rivers - Bizzell

C: Bruce - Jones - Johnstone

HF: Green - Miller - Pickett

F: Davey - Neitz - Robertson

R: White - McLean - McDonald

I: Jamar - Moloney - Yze - CJ

E: - Holland - Bartram - Brown

Hearing St Kilda's Injury problems I don't think Gardiner will play, that was my match up for Holland.

Whelan Carroll Biz

Bell Rivers CJ

Green Mclean Johnstone

Robbo Miller Bruce

Davey Neitz Yze

Jamar Mcdonald Jones

White Moloney Bate Buckley

Buckley wont play more likely Pickett or Ward will, at this stage in is more likely to be Ward. If your picked you would want to play well with Pickett and Bartram at Sandy, along with some handy types in Sylvia coming back from injury, Brown, Ward or Buckley, Wheatley, Holland, ferguson all capable of holding their own at AFL level. Also a kid that could be anything in Newton if he gets his confidence up at Sandy he could get into our AFL team.

What will be the team matchups for Saints and Dees do u recon

B: Wheelan v Milne Carroll v Gehrig Holland v Kosi

HB: Ward v Harvey Bruce v Riewoldt C.Johnson v X,Clarke

C: Bate v Ball Moloney v Hayes Johnstone v Montagna

HF: Robbo v Voss Miller v Goddard Green v Baker

F: White v Watts Neitz v Hudgton Pickett v Guilt

R: Jamar v Clarke Jones v Ball Godfrey v Fiora

B: Whealan v Milne Carroll v Gehrig Holland v Rix

HB: Bell v Harvey Rivers v Kosi C.Johnson v X,Clarke

C: Bate v Dal Santo McLean v Hayes Johnstone v Goddard

HF: Bruce v Voss Miller v L Fisher Green v S Fisher

F: Robbo v Maguire Neitz v Hudgton Davey v Baker

R: White v Clarke Jones v Ball McDonald v Fiora

Bench: Pickett, Moloney,Jamar, Yze(just)

Reiwoldt wont play and you left out numerous key saints players.

Guest dee'viator
My team for round 1

HB: Bizzell Rivers C Johnson

C: Johnstone Green Bate

HF Bruce Miller Dunn

F: Robertson Neitz Davey

Ruck: White McLean McDonald

Int: Jamar Jones Brown Yze

Emerg: Frawley Ward Wheatley

updated team rnd 1

HB: Bizzell Rivers C Johnson

C: Johnstone Green Bate

HF Bruce Miller Davey

F: Robertson Neitz Yze

Ruck: White McLean McDonald

Int: Jamar, Jones, Moloney, Wheatley

Emerg: Ferguson, Holland, Brown, Ward

INJ:Frawley, Dunn,

B: Whealan v Milne Carroll v Gehrig Holland v Rix

HB: Bell v Harvey Rivers v Kosi C.Johnson v X,Clarke

C: Bate v Dal Santo McLean v Hayes Johnstone v Goddard

HF: Bruce v Voss Miller v L Fisher Green v S Fisher

F: Robbo v Maguire Neitz v Hudgton Davey v Baker

R: White v Clarke Jones v Ball McDonald v Fiora

Bench: Pickett, Moloney,Jamar, Yze(just)

Reiwoldt wont play and you left out numerous key saints players.

How will rivers play if there saying 4 weeks out?