Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Will the real Angus Brayshaw please stand up?

4 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Had 8 kicks and 4 clangers, so no exaggeration mate.

I don't think he's in danger of being dropped, but he absolutely needs to lift. I get what you're saying about the overreaction from some though, I'm a big Sparrow fan and think he has a ton of potential, but I wouldn't be bringing him in for Gus at this stage.

Time to get some games into Sparrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

Time to get some games into Sparrow.

Brayshaw is playing his role between wing and on ball and he is not far off his best.  They will start sitting on Trac soon and this will free him up to win more of the ball.

Edited by Demons11

If Gussy is our worst player during a match then we're in pretty good shape.  We all know the kid can play and is clearly having a few challenges getting back to his best.

I struggle a bit with the "third in the Brownlow" comments.  It just shows the lack of knowledge that umpires have in giving votes for BOG.  Gawn and Oliver were miles above Brayshaw in 2018.  He was bloody good but he didn't even finish in the top 5 of our B & F playing as a midfielder with no recourse for his opponent.

Last year he played on the wing in a team that refuses to use wingers.  It seemed a spot wear we left good footballers out to die (Jones, Tyson etc).  Also looks like this year and last that he is playing a more accountable style which is contrary to way he has probably always played his whole life.  

He is now behind Oliver, Trac and Viney in centre square ball ups but he's a pretty handy player as your first rotation.

You don't trade players when they're at there worst - we back ourselves in to getting him back to his best.  Right now his trade value is low but his ceiling remains high and he looks to be a very popular member of our young core group.

Just keep picking him and back the kid in.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

If Gussy is our worst player during a match then we're in pretty good shape.  We all know the kid can play and is clearly having a few challenges getting back to his best.

I struggle a bit with the "third in the Brownlow" comments.  It just shows the lack of knowledge that umpires have in giving votes for BOG.  Gawn and Oliver were miles above Brayshaw in 2018.  He was bloody good but he didn't even finish in the top 5 of our B & F playing as a midfielder with no recourse for his opponent.

Last year he played on the wing in a team that refuses to use wingers.  It seemed a spot wear we left good footballers out to die (Jones, Tyson etc).  Also looks like this year and last that he is playing a more accountable style which is contrary to way he has probably always played his whole life.  

He is now behind Oliver, Trac and Viney in centre square ball ups but he's a pretty handy player as your first rotation.

You don't trade players when they're at there worst - we back ourselves in to getting him back to his best.  Right now his trade value is low but his ceiling remains high and he looks to be a very popular member of our young core group.

Just keep picking him and back the kid in.

I really think the umpires got his name and Clarrys mixed up in 2018

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Wow. Satyr is having a Lash at McCartney now, because he didn’t hear a piece of information 

No doubt whilst McCartney was an employee of the MFC you would have been “mates”, but now....

20 people were involved in a discussion and you were not there

Deal with it..

Hey Cap'n, this is from March

I stand by it, Macca had opinions on everything, doesn't mean it was the right opinion

Brayshaw gets picked by match committee, when he doesn't, it means, like Tomlinson, Jetta and Hibberd, he is not playing his role

7 hours ago, rjay said:

I'll go against the trend here but I reckon he's playing his role and been critical in our turnaround.

Yes, he has the odd wayward kick and he's not getting mega stats but his role is different.

He reads the ball well off Max's hands as witnessed in the first contest of the game.

He spreads well and opens out the play whereas before we would get drawn in to the ball.

He also does a nice little tagging job when needed.

...and with Harmes is a great 4 & 5 option to throw in when the others need a break or we need to throw something different at the game.

Stop watching the stats everyone and start watching the game.

Seems like Angus is the new Omac...

These are pretty much my thoughts as well. I've long been a critic of our "all-in at the contest" approach. Makes it too easy for the opposition to put pressure on and results in a chain of short, pressured handballs and often a turnover.

Gus is positioning himself as the outlet at stoppage, 2 - 3 metres off the contest and in my view, this is having a significant & positive impact on our clearances.

Yes, he burnt the ball a few times yesterday, mainly off his left peg. If you recall last week, the current "No. 1 Player in Football", C.Petracca had a shocking day kicking. Couldn't hit a cow's arze with a banjo. A lot can change in a week & I believe Gus is not far off putting in a blinder. Most of the elements are there.

Also, that was the best game our mids have played as a collective in god knows how long. Gus was part of that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

I generally agree but I do wonder what sort of commentary we'd be seeing here if he played the same game in a losing side. I suspect there'd be some saying he should never play again.

But we didn’t lose and he did some heavy clearance work. Some of it didn’t come off, but he got better as the game went on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Hey Cap'n, this is from March

I stand by it, Macca had opinions on everything, doesn't mean it was the right opinion

Brayshaw gets picked by match committee, when he doesn't, it means, like Tomlinson, Jetta and Hibberd, he is not playing his role

Well aware of the date you made the statement, doesn’t really matter actually

Macca may well be right. Gus may have to work on his attitude to go to the next level

You are not the Encyclopaedia of everything MFC

thankfully

I personally thought Brayshaw was ok against Hawthorn and actually had some really good involvements in passages of play.

That one where he pick pocketed the Hawthorn bloke off half back was a ripper.  Yes he had an element of luck with the ball spilling to him, but he was still there and then had pretty clean skills to gather the ball, accelerate down field, kick the ball into a good spot for Fritsch to run onto and from memory we went coast to coast and got a goal out of the play.

Also recall another pin point pass he put on the chest of Weid or someone, but there were certainly other occasions where his kicking let him down and overall, I think his disposals yesterday could best be described as a bit hit and miss.

One of the most encouraging things I saw yesterday was that he was starting to get involved in plays breaking lines and moving the ball through the centre square, which I think he does quite well and was somewhat a signature of our dominant 2018 performances.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

25 minutes ago, Soidee said:

Angus is far off his ability ATM.  His kicking skills are awful and erratic. 

Not sure  what’s wrong with him but he seems way off the pace 

Seems like many posters are in denial about this on here. If we were in a losing team everyone would be calling for his head. Sparrow is a ripper and would be a great replacement 

2 hours ago, Elegt said:

Seems like many posters are in denial about this on here. If we were in a losing team everyone would be calling for his head. Sparrow is a ripper and would be a great replacement 

There no spot in the team for Sparrow.  He would do no better than Angus in the current posiiton, and may even be worse.. hasnt played a single game.

Angus is an inside mid, and so is Sparrow and they wont get any time there with Trac/Oliver/Viney/Harmes  all playing.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson

19 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

There no spot in the team for Sparrow.  He would do no better than Angus in the current posiiton, and may even be worse.. hasnt played a single game.

Angus is an inside mid, and so is Sparrow and they wont get any time there with Trac/Oliver/Viney/Harmes  all playing.

Sparrow is quicker and tougher. Im sure you were saying the same thing about jackson when he was brought in for tmac instead of brown 

35 minutes ago, Elegt said:

Im sure you were saying the same thing about jackson when he was brought in for tmac instead of brown 

Actually no.  I was celebrating Luke Jackson coming into the team, its right there in the team selection thread.

Completely different situation to Sparrow/Brayshaw.

Edited by Pickett2Jackson

id love to know why brayshaw has no muscle definition? he's bulked up and I'm sure he's much stronger than when he was drafted (well of course) but he hasn't added any muscle tone really. At least, he doesn't have much. And he doesn't seem to have great conditioning 

11 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Brayshaw is playing his role between wing and on ball and he is not far off his best.  They will start sitting on Trac soon and this will free him up to win more of the ball.

Hope you’re right. 

7 hours ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Assuming you mean this year yeah? Because he's played 2, and averages 11 touches, 4 tackles, 3 score involvements and a goal.

This year Gus is averaging 15 touches, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements and 0 goals.

I don't think Sparrow will be coming in for Gus just yet, but find it strange a few in this thread are writing him off a bit.

11 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I personally thought Brayshaw was ok against Hawthorn and actually had some really good involvements in passages of play.

Just listened to Maxy on rsn and agrees with you. Sort of.

He went further and said he has been one of our best this year and implied not getting the credit he deserves.

Said by playing his role allows viney and tracc to get off the chain.

I agree with you on his game against the hawks. He was involved in a couple of really important scoring chains and whilst he did butcher it a bit as you said he also had some damaging kicks.

A bit like Oscar I reckon his lack of speed impacts on how people see his game as it can make it appear he lacks intensity and effort.

Not a chance in haddes he gets dropped.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But we didn’t lose and he did some heavy clearance work. Some of it didn’t come off, but he got better as the game went on

Yeah, agreed. He kicked it terribly but was still contributing in other ways. My comment was more about the inability of some to critique an individual player's performance without being influenced by the team result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

Yeah, agreed. He kicked it terribly but was still contributing in other ways. My comment was more about the inability of some to critique an individual player's performance without being influenced by the team result.

I watched a replay yesterday and kept an eye on Gus. As far as I saw it on TV he mis kicked a worm burner in the first qtr that still got to Max and in the third sent off a bullet pass that went straight to a Hawk. That is 2 miskicks and apart from that he had 2 poor handballs under pressure and let 2 overhead Marking opportunities slip through his hands, one was just too high, the other he should have held. In between there was the bulletin pass onto the Weids chest and a couple of great handballs to advantage under pressure. Not a great game by Gus but he didn’t butcher the ball all game as some think. He played his role, applying plenty of pressure on the opposition. 

• Like 3

On 7/20/2020 at 11:44 AM, Lord Nev said:

Had 8 kicks and 4 clangers, so no exaggeration mate.

I don't think he's in danger of being dropped, but he absolutely needs to lift. I get what you're saying about the overreaction from some though, I'm a big Sparrow fan and think he has a ton of potential, but I wouldn't be bringing him in for Gus at this stage.

That's one of the most selective stats to make one's point I have ever seen, how about the 63% disposal efficiency, the 6 score involvements, the smart handballs he did in the game that lead to goals, the kick that hit a forward in the forward 50, also 1 of those clangers he followed it up tackled and caused a ball up no damaged done, in footy it's not always the first effort that makes a difference but the second effort to fix the first. 

• Like 1