Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

TEAMS: Rd 01 vs West Coast


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, picket fence said:

I know I wouldnt say anything about a certain player so I won't

But HTF a slow,no skilled player,that plods gets a game and others with REAL TALENT miss out is perplexing! To say the least.

We will go nowhere whilst he is in the team IMV

Although I have absolutely no idea to whom you are referring, PF, I hold similar views for the same reasons and performance demonstrations of just one player (in the team each week for no substantiated reason. so could it be the same one?) at the cost of greater talent and workrate than such a blessed one. Are we serious about winning games by restricting avenues for opposition goals?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


With the announcement that Pickett and Bedford are both playing, and they are both listed on the extended interchange, given one of our opponent's great strengths - their backline, I wouldn't be surprised to see Weed and Brown coming in.

But as soon as I started thinking that, I remembered back to the game that we won against them to get us in to the finals in 2018, and from memory Melksham played as a defensive forward on McGovern and that was a crucial match up.

So with that in mind, I can possibly see Melk tagging McGovern again, meaning that Brown misses out, and I have NFI about who else plays!  I like Lockhart, so I will go with him.

I think it will be a good game.  Don't think we will win, but we often play well against them (other than in '18 PF).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think people need to accept the reality that Spargo is going to get a lot of games this year. He tackle, harrasses, and links up well between mid and forward. His Marsh series was actually quite. I would have ahead ANB who is as sloppy as they come, and plays wet weather football every week.

Weideman and Lockhart get the last 2 gigs. In fact, i would be immensely surprised if Lockhart misses out.

I think people are very quick to forget Spargo's 2018 season and base a lot of their views on his lack luster 2019 in which he was probably playing injured for the most part.

Not only is he a competitive animal, but his positioning himself to win the footy and use it in dangerous ways is also pretty good.  I've got no issues with him being in the side with the form he showed over the preseason.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 13
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think people are very quick to forget Spargo's 2018 season and base a lot of their views on his lack luster 2019 in which he was probably playing injured for the most part.

Not only is he a competitive animal, but his positioning himself to win the footy and use it in dangerous was is also pretty good.  I've got no issues with him being in the side with the form he showed over the preseason.

2nd year blues for Spargs in 2019, Gawny backed him in on one of the episodes of To Hell and Back.

Good enough for me, hopefully he learnt plenty from last season.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has anyone got an insight on Rivers? Slot of supercoahers (myself included) thought he was going to get early games but nothing. Is he not meeting some standard at training? With Salem and Jones out and still no spot on the HBF it's hard to see him cracking onto the side this year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eagles backs are a worry for me. 

Shep, Gov, Hurn, Barrass, Jetta - all very very good players. 

We will have to make sure we're bringing it to ground at all costs. I don't care if Weed kicks any goals but he can't be outmarked. Especially at OS. Eagles love to spread from intercept marks. 

I was pretty optimistic we could get a win here with no crowd and Eagles a little banged up (JK, Darling, Gov, Barrass all had interrupted preseasons) but looking at their line-up it's very strong. 

I've said it before but I think if we're super physical early and manage to jump them we could be in with a chance. Heart says we get over the line. Head says we go down by 3 goals. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

West Coast are apparently considering what they do with their ruck lineup given the short quarters.

That could potentially signal for us that a secondary ruck is a lot less important meaning very little chance we see both Weid and Brown surely? We may even see Tomlinson as backup ruck and neither of Weid or Brown (and Jackson) play. IMO one of the three will be on the bench, but could we see the more versatile Jackson get a call up given the unique circumstances?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bench selected from listed players will be Pickett, Bedford, Lockhart, Weid/Brown. 

Mostlt shorter players, the first two already confirmed playing. Lockhart has been one of our best over preseason so gets a game. Toss up between Weid and Brown. Weid will get the nod if he’s fit, otherwise Brown.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Will we miss Salem greatly or is he just a handy player at best who is probably our best kick over a short distance?

Jones will be missed if his Marsh Series was anything to go by. Looked like he turned the clock back 3 or so years.

I thought Spargo was OK in the Marsh Series and praccy match V North. Not as upset as others he got a gig.

A bit baffled ANB got an automatic ticket into the 18. Played 1 good quarter and 7 average to woeful ones in the 2 Marsh games. His skill level seems to be going backwards by the year.

How would you know?! Have you asked him?! Have you asked his skill levels anything?! You don't know what role Goody has for him (why haven't you asked Goody?! I have!) so just shut up and watch it without any input that "denigrates" the players, club, sponsors or history of our great club!!*

*please note this is just a gag relating to a certain poster who hates any comment on players, coaches or the club becuase we just don't know because we don't ask them.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, picket fence said:

I know I wouldnt say anything about a certain player so I won't

But HTF a slow,no skilled player,that plods gets a game and others with REAL TALENT miss out is perplexing! To say the least.

We will go nowhere whilst he is in the team IMV

"Oh Picket"; said in Gawny's "Google" ad style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I think people are very quick to forget Spargo's 2018 season and base a lot of their views on his lack luster 2019 in which he was probably playing injured for the most part.

Not only is he a competitive animal, but his positioning himself to win the footy and use it in dangerous ways is also pretty good.  I've got no issues with him being in the side with the form he showed over the preseason.

I like his decision-making and tap-ons to teammates to create plays. He has played this role well in the pre-season and last season - he was asked/left to do onfield things for varied in/out teammates who were not ready for his quick thoughts and actions. I'd suggest that he is an ideal link man off the bench, when the talls are not taking their grabs due to their static preferences where there is no space. Who is going to tell these talls that the game has changed ... static height doesn't get you the pill against a manned-up bank of defenders. Spargo, therefore, could be a remedy to their poor habits, including the abundant other 'smalls' - just like the Tigers' team.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

West Coast are apparently considering what they do with their ruck lineup given the short quarters.

That could potentially signal for us that a secondary ruck is a lot less important meaning very little chance we see both Weid and Brown surely? We may even see Tomlinson as backup ruck and neither of Weid or Brown (and Jackson) play. IMO one of the three will be on the bench, but could we see the more versatile Jackson get a call up given the unique circumstances?

 

Where have you heard this?  Would've thought Marsh games were for experiments.

Personally, I don't want Tomlinson in the ruck at all unless it's due to in-game injuries to others.  We recruited him to be a wing.  He showed against Hawthorn how valuable he will be.  Let's not have to take him out of his best position.

I'd still be playing Weid, regardless of what the opposition might or might not be trialling in the ruck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Chazz said:

Where have you heard this?  Would've thought Marsh games were for experiments.

Personally, I don't want Tomlinson in the ruck at all unless it's due to in-game injuries to others.  We recruited him to be a wing.  He showed against Hawthorn how valuable he will be.  Let's not have to take him out of his best position.

I'd still be playing Weid, regardless of what the opposition might or might not be trialling in the ruck.

Yeah, gut feel is Weid will play and Brown and Jackson won't, but you never know given the changes, which is why I was just putting it out there.

From the Daily Blog on the AFL website:

WEST Coast will decide who supports Nic Naitanui in the ruck on Friday after the reduction in quarters to 16 minutes forced a re-think on team selection and how players are used.

Potential debutant Bailey Williams will jockey with experienced big man Tom Hickey for the Eagles' second ruck spot, with both named in the 25-man squad released on Thursday, overtaking premiership big man Nathan Vardy.

Simpson said the reduction in quarter lengths provided an opportunity to formulate new strategies and use players in different ways, particularly in the ruck.

"It's 90 rotations as well, so what does that mean? Can you play your better players longer? That's probably the first question everyone is looking at," Simpson said in a teleconference on Thursday afternoon.

"Does Luke Shuey need to come off the ground. If a quarter goes for 30-35 minutes he might need three or four breaks. If it goes for 20-25 minutes then maybe he can stay on a bit longer.

"So I think that would be across the board what people are looking at. We've got a few compromised athletes who can't play every minute, so what does (Jeremy) McGovern's game look like? What does Nic Naitanui's game look like?"

Simpson said the change, which will be in place for the entire season, could see team's playing a sole ruckman.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just have this terrible feeling we'll be in a position to win but still get stitched up by an umpiring decision late in the game. We're bound to get the WA umpires with all the travel restrictions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, loges said:

I just have this terrible feeling we'll be in a position to win but still get stitched up by an umpiring decision late in the game. We're bound to get the WA umpires with all the travel restrictions.

But zero crowd  impact.  Surely they don't consciously favor the home team. Crowd is the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah, gut feel is Weid will play and Brown and Jackson won't, but you never know given the changes, which is why I was just putting it out there.

From the Daily Blog on the AFL website:

WEST Coast will decide who supports Nic Naitanui in the ruck on Friday after the reduction in quarters to 16 minutes forced a re-think on team selection and how players are used.

Potential debutant Bailey Williams will jockey with experienced big man Tom Hickey for the Eagles' second ruck spot, with both named in the 25-man squad released on Thursday, overtaking premiership big man Nathan Vardy.

Simpson said the reduction in quarter lengths provided an opportunity to formulate new strategies and use players in different ways, particularly in the ruck.

"It's 90 rotations as well, so what does that mean? Can you play your better players longer? That's probably the first question everyone is looking at," Simpson said in a teleconference on Thursday afternoon.

"Does Luke Shuey need to come off the ground. If a quarter goes for 30-35 minutes he might need three or four breaks. If it goes for 20-25 minutes then maybe he can stay on a bit longer.

"So I think that would be across the board what people are looking at. We've got a few compromised athletes who can't play every minute, so what does (Jeremy) McGovern's game look like? What does Nic Naitanui's game look like?"

Simpson said the change, which will be in place for the entire season, could see team's playing a sole ruckman.

 

I see Richmond went in with two rucks last night, didn't impact them.

And you only need to look at how long it took Carlton to adjust after Kreuzer went down last night to realise you need to have a suitable back-up ruck.  For me, Tomlinson isn't that - he's of far greater value to play all game on the wing.  Weid, first and foremost, is a key forward.  He can play extended minutes in the ruck if need be, and moving him out of the key forward role can be relatively easily covered given our other scoring options.  Dragging Tomlinson off the wing to play an extended amount of time in the ruck (if needed), clearly has the greatest impact on our structures.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

I see Richmond went in with two rucks last night, didn't impact them.

And you only need to look at how long it took Carlton to adjust after Kreuzer went down last night to realise you need to have a suitable back-up ruck.  For me, Tomlinson isn't that - he's of far greater value to play all game on the wing.  Weid, first and foremost, is a key forward.  He can play extended minutes in the ruck if need be, and moving him out of the key forward role can be relatively easily covered given our other scoring options.  Dragging Tomlinson off the wing to play an extended amount of time in the ruck (if needed), clearly has the greatest impact on our structures.

 

I'm not necessarily advocating it, just reporting facts, and if you read what was said, the implication is that backup rucks would barely be needed.

Not sure the reigning premiers vs a struggling team is the best example for the reasoning, but didn't Carlton start their comeback once Kreuzer went off?

Edited by Lord Nev
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah, gut feel is Weid will play and Brown and Jackson won't, but you never know given the changes, which is why I was just putting it out there.

From the Daily Blog on the AFL website:

WEST Coast will decide who supports Nic Naitanui in the ruck on Friday after the reduction in quarters to 16 minutes forced a re-think on team selection and how players are used.

Potential debutant Bailey Williams will jockey with experienced big man Tom Hickey for the Eagles' second ruck spot, with both named in the 25-man squad released on Thursday, overtaking premiership big man Nathan Vardy.

Simpson said the reduction in quarter lengths provided an opportunity to formulate new strategies and use players in different ways, particularly in the ruck.

"It's 90 rotations as well, so what does that mean? Can you play your better players longer? That's probably the first question everyone is looking at," Simpson said in a teleconference on Thursday afternoon.

"Does Luke Shuey need to come off the ground. If a quarter goes for 30-35 minutes he might need three or four breaks. If it goes for 20-25 minutes then maybe he can stay on a bit longer.

"So I think that would be across the board what people are looking at. We've got a few compromised athletes who can't play every minute, so what does (Jeremy) McGovern's game look like? What does Nic Naitanui's game look like?"

Simpson said the change, which will be in place for the entire season, could see team's playing a sole ruckman.

 

It will be interesting, the other scenario for us is; Max doesn't need the same rest because of the shortened quarters . He will need some rest but why can't he switch with TMac as he has in the past. This also gets TMac more involved in the game. The biggest issue I have with the interchange at the moment is Mids. I think we have to include Sparrow for that to work. The bench would be made up of 3 forwards if we go down the path being suggested.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

But zero crowd  impact.  Surely they don't consciously favor the home team. Crowd is the issue.

You would hope so, but isn't Margetts mates with all the players?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

I'm not necessarily advocating it, just reporting facts, and if you read what was said, the implication is that backup rucks would barely be needed.

Not sure the reigning premiers vs a struggling team is the best example for the reasoning, but didn't Carlton start their comeback once Kreuzer went off?

Kreuzer went off a long time before Carlton started being more competitive in the middle.

Point is that one team went in with two rucks.  The other team went in with one ruck and a couple of "if needed" players.  The team that went in with one had it bite them on the [censored] because their main man went down.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Chazz said:

Kreuzer went off a long time before Carlton started being more competitive in the middle.

Point is that one team went in with two rucks.  The other team went in with one ruck and a couple of "if needed" players.  The team that went in with one had it bite them on the [censored] because their main man went down.

You realize you just contradicted yourself yeah?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Has anyone got an insight on Rivers? Slot of supercoahers (myself included) thought he was going to get early games but nothing. Is he not meeting some standard at training? With Salem and Jones out and still no spot on the HBF it's hard to see him cracking onto the side this year?

Not every draftee can play this week.

He is going well and will become a regular IMO, but there is no hurry.

Bit harder though if Casey isn't playing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...