Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 01 vs West Coast Eagles

Demonland

16 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't think there is a ban on clubs inviting a couple of family members along.  As guests, they could sit with club officials ie non-football staff.

I think it's a ban on "non-essential staff", so would think that probably includes family, sadly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't think there is a ban on clubs inviting a couple of family members along.  As guests, they could sit with club officials ie non-football staff.

I would like to hope that is the case.

7 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

There were something like 80 family and friends in the stadium for the AFLW Alice Springs game.  That may have been to do with how close it was to those restrictions coming in or the location, but maybe each club will have a small number of guests they can have there.

• Like 1

Something that hasn’t crossed my mind in relation to only the 22 playing each week.

Fair chance a decent chunk of the list doesn’t play a game all season. That would be tough (not in the current climate tough, but as a person who’s job is to play footy and you’ll potentially just train all season). Such a weird season already. 

PS what the hell has Kozzie done to his hair?! Surely lost a bet for the bowl cut.

I'll watch the game but,  to be honest,  I don't really care about it at all.  I just figure we shouldn't be playing the games this all this week and the empty grounds will just remind me if that constantly. 

I'm very disappointed in the league officials for their lack of leadership. The whole country, indeed the world, is correctly imploring for social distancing whilst the AFL tries to wring a few dollars out of a ruined early season. 

The AFL has tried to craft an image where it takes the lead on social issues, but it'll be a lot harder to get credit for taking the high ground now and into the future. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

With Jones and Vandenberg not playing, does that open the door for someone like Tom Sparrow?

I think those injuries/illness whatever it is opened the door for Bedford. 

The shorter quarters could mean Langdon and Tomlinson can play the full 100% game time on the wing. Maybe a quick chop out from Brayshaw or Harmes from half back. Otherwise we'll go small and fast and heavily rotate the small forwards and try to keep pressure up on the Eagles. 

If I had to guess at the team I think it's:

FB: Jetta  May  Oscar
HB: Harmes Lever Hibberd
C; Tomlinson  Petracca Langdon
HF: Spargo  T Mc  Melksham
FF: Fritsch Weid  Kozzie
Foll: Gawn Oliver Viney
Int: Lockhart, Brayshaw, Bedford, ANB

E: Brown, Jackson, Sparrow, Hore

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I just wonder about the mental demons that come into play when you have to get on a plane in this crisis.

The players have to be having some subconscious thoughts.

I hope it doesn't effect game time but I fear it will.

According to Nick Smart in HS they are flying over on Saturday in a chartered VIrgin plane so no risk from public. 

Wonder if lack of crowds will help the debutants settle in and not get overawed. What a surreal way to start a career. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I think those injuries/illness whatever it is opened the door for Bedford. 

The shorter quarters could mean Langdon and Tomlinson can play the full 100% game time on the wing. Maybe a quick chop out from Brayshaw or Harmes from half back. Otherwise we'll go small and fast and heavily rotate the small forwards and try to keep pressure up on the Eagles. 

If I had to guess at the team I think it's:

FB: Jetta  May  Oscar
HB: Harmes Lever Hibberd
C; Tomlinson  Petracca Langdon
HF: Spargo  T Mc  Melksham
FF: Fritsch Weid  Kozzie
Foll: Gawn Oliver Viney
Int: Lockhart, Brayshaw, Bedford, ANB

E: Brown, Jackson, Sparrow, Hore

It's hard to imagine us picking Spargo, Bedford and Kozzy all in the same team. Along with Viney they're all under 180cm (Spargo ninth shortest and Kozzy third shortest in the league). Would mean we'd go in very small.

That being said stranger things have happened.

Edited by Yung Blood

Lets hope the team is switched on and hard at it from the opening bounce.

We've all heard that injuries can occur when you go in half arzed, and this is the perfect situation for that attitude to occur.

Protect yourselves by going in as hard as you can boys.

1 hour ago, Axis of Bob said:

I'll watch the game but,  to be honest,  I don't really care about it at all.  I just figure we shouldn't be playing the games this all this week and the empty grounds will just remind me if that constantly. 

I'm very disappointed in the league officials for their lack of leadership. The whole country, indeed the world, is correctly imploring for social distancing whilst the AFL tries to wring a few dollars out of a ruined early season. 

The AFL has tried to craft an image where it takes the lead on social issues, but it'll be a lot harder to get credit for taking the high ground now and into the future. 

Gills leadership has actually been outstanding. Gill hasnt just made this decision on his own.

Those extra dollars are the dollars that might just keep our club alive. 

I'm sure if we end up 10-20 Mil plus in the red at the end of the year you'll be the first to jump up at the AGM having a go at Pert.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

According to Nick Smart in HS they are flying over on Saturday in a chartered VIrgin plane so no risk from public. 

Wonder if lack of crowds will help the debutants settle in and not get overawed. What a surreal way to start a career. 

That's good news...

...and as for the debutants it will be the same as playing junior footy for them..

They should be used to no crowds and pumping themselves up.

Edited by rjay

1 hour ago, Grimes Times said:

Gills leadership has actually been outstanding. Gill hasnt just made this decision on his own.

I'm sure if we end up 10-20 Mil plus in the red at the end of the year you'll be the first to jump up at the AGM having a go at Pert.

As much as this virus is a nasty bastard that is killing people, I have to agree with this.

The AFL is a monster that consumes vast amounts of money, and this is not like coal mining where you can declare force majeure and not pay people or cease supply without consequence

Poor bloke is in a very nasty position. He would be stressing his arz off right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_majeure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grimes Times said:

I certainly would not be having a go .... I'm reluctant at the best of times. This is a time where everyone across the board is just going to have to do what they can. 

Gil obviously hasn't done it on his own, but nearly everyone involved has an interest in the games going ahead. Clubs, players, staff, broadcasters etc.  That's why it takes leadership to step in and do what's right despite the incentives not to. 

It's a bloody tough spot to be in, I agree. There are no good outcomes to the choices. I just think that is harder to see out into society from inside the AFL bubble than vice versa, and the AFL's decision is a result of that. 

• Like 1

I think Gil has done well. I think it's understandable that most industries try to continue, based on the government's current rules and recommendations. If that changes and the AFL has to stop next week, so be it, but that isn't the case yet.

6 hours ago, stinga said:

Agree with the side but I'd have Jackson instead of weideman simply because he is more mobile for shortened quarters.

Let's hope that our dear OMac can show a little internal fortitude and improved anticipation, movement and physical presence. The team listed has a good balance and noticeable firepower. I'd just like to see TMac swapping back and forth into CHB instead of being a static forward. 

21 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Go You Demons!

Time to be unsociable. Target Kennedy's elbow.

A perfectly posited task for a fit and healthy Steven May!

It all seems a bit surreal to me right now, but the selections of Kozzi and Toby have spiked my interest to something like that of a 'normal' season.  No doubt I'll be yelling my lungs out on Sunday arvo, and the neighbors in will be nodding to each other, and sagely saying "the Demons game must have started".

Edited by Deeoldfart
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

When are they flying out - do we know?

Saturday On a chartered Virgin flight.

Admin: TAKE THE DISCUSSION TO THE TEAM SELECTION THREAD: https://demonland.com/forums/topic/47861-teams-rd-01-vs-west-coast/

Edited by Demonland
Admin
  • Like 1