Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coronavirus: AFL & MFC

Big Col

21 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I'm not convinced yet that this is necessarily true. What really matters is the total time from siren-to-siren of each quarter. Over the last decade, additional "time-on" has been added due to a more consistent use of "time-on" along with other rule changes (such as ruckmen nomination). This extended the siren-to-siren time so that quarters regularly went 35+ minutes. It is quite possible that the 16 minute quarters plus time on might get us back to a more real 30 minutes siren-to-siren per quarter.  If that's the case, it would be a good move.

There is no way the time keepers will find 16 minutes of extra time on  

The game has been shortened for no reason whatsoever 

i would prefer 16 minutes less of “Roaming Brian”

34 minutes ago, demonstone said:

We'd all like far less of Brian, but that's a decision for the broadcaster and not the AFL.

But this shortening of the game is straight from Ch7

They pay Big Dollars now (too much) so they can rule the output

4 hours ago, Jaded said:

It would be an absolute slap in the face when, fans are allowed in at minimum numbers, the loyal paid up members aren’t given first dibs. 

I along with many others pay hundreds of dollars for memberships each year. I haven’t asked the club for a cent back, although I’m out of a job due to Covid. I would be furious if I wasn’t given first dibs to attend matches, along with our other paid up members. 

Of course with less attendance available than members, it would have to be done at a first come first served basis, but members have to come first. Otherwise don’t expect people to sign up again. 

I know corporates, sponsors and fat cats kick in a fair bit of money to the club, but it would be a kick in the teeth to the paid up and passionate club member if they take all the tickets in the first MFC game when crowds are allowed.

As for the 350 fat cats allowed into the GWS game in a corporate box this weekend - seriously, how is this news?? The players won't even hear them.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

But this shortening of the game is straight from Ch7

They pay Big Dollars now (too much) so they can rule the output

I would have though so, too. But perhaps not: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tv-bosses-urge-afl-not-to-continue-with-16minute-quarters-beyond-2020-season/news-story/adb002ae96ea0fa3e3a41902003e2d69

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Definitely for 2020. Advertising will be flat out during any game this year  

I am already aware that they have said it is only for 1 year, let’s see about that, but i still can see no reason why games need to be shortened  it’s not as if there are double headers being played...

If they are letting even a limited crowd in, then the game should stay as it is

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

It would be an absolute slap in the face when, fans are allowed in at minimum numbers, the loyal paid up members aren’t given first dibs. 

I along with many others pay hundreds of dollars for memberships each year. I haven’t asked the club for a cent back, although I’m out of a job due to Covid. I would be furious if I wasn’t given first dibs to attend matches, along with our other paid up members. 

Of course with less attendance available than members, it would have to be done at a first come first served basis, but members have to come first. Otherwise don’t expect people to sign up again. 

With you on this. I have reserved seat so I should be able to go and sit in it. With their restrictions of no more than 20 people at a gathering outside they turn a blind eye to sheep going into the city centre last weekend and breaking all their rules so we now should be allowed to go to the footy, sit in our seats and drink beer and swear at the umpire.

18 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Definitely for 2020. Advertising will be flat out during any game this year  

I am already aware that they have said it is only for 1 year, let’s see about that, but i still can see no reason why games need to be shortened  it’s not as if there are double headers being played...

If they are letting even a limited crowd in, then the game should stay as it is

the one that goes under the radar is the one minute from goal to bounce. Double the ads and time wise adds around 3 minutes per quarter

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong DJ, but I think the one minute break is a COVID-19 measure that will allow drinks to be given to the players in a safe manner.  Hopefully we won't need to keep doing this for a lengthy period of time and the breaks can revert to 30 seconds.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

the one that goes under the radar is the one minute from goal to bounce. Double the ads and time wise adds around 3 minutes per quarter

That’s the strategy...and with no income for 3 months 

it will be full on

Was way too early to even be talking about crowds at games before the restart even got underway. But while we're at it I too would be pretty peeved if members weren't given preference. Actually I wouldn't be peeved I'd be flabbergasted because what would be the incentive to sign up in future? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

And you will be sitting there with the keyboard waiting 

Did you go outside today?

Absolutely beautiful weather

Yes thanks, worked all day on my new fence. Great to breath fresh air

Stadiums with 40,000 or less to open

Rohan Smith
The Prime Minister gave an important update on sporting events this afternoon.

He says stadiums with a capacity of 40,000 or less will be able to host certain events but they will only be filled to 25 per cent capacity.

That means a stadium capable of seating 40,000 people could sell 10,000 tickets but the caveat is that all tickets must be seated and social distancing rules must be applied.

The PM said he is working with venues like the MCG to adopt a similar plan but nothing was announced today.

On 4/24/2020 at 11:13 AM, hardtack said:

Nothing to do with players or facilities, but I have a question relating to the GF Guarantee payments that some of us made along with our membership renewals. 

If there are finals and if they are played to empty stadiums, what will become of these payments (which are quite substantial)?  I have no objection to my membership fees being retained by the club, but I am wondering whether there are plans for these additional charges to be carried forward to next year?  I'm not even sure I would like to be guaranteed a seat at a GF this year, to be honest, as I would seriously doubt the chances of such an event being a sell out. I would like to see the club offer the option of applying it to next year's campaign, rather than using it this year, given the circumstances.

Has anyone heard anything on what might happen to the GF Guarantee payment?

For anyone else who may have taken the GF Guarantee, I wrote to the club some time back with regards to the above. They have finally got back to me with the club's decision as to what will happen with these payments:

"It appears that those with a Grand Final Guarantee this year will have one credited for 2021. This information will be confirmed with renewals for 2021 when that information is sent out.

You still have options around your guarantee this year in terms of refunds etc so if you want to discuss you can call us on 1300 336 667."

I will definitely NOT be requesting a refund, but I am happy that they've decided to credit members with the payment for next year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hardtack said:

For anyone else who may have taken the GF Guarantee, I wrote to the club some time back with regards to the above. They have finally got back to me with the club's decision as to what will happen with these payments:

"It appears that those with a Grand Final Guarantee this year will have one credited for 2021. This information will be confirmed with renewals for 2021 when that information is sent out.

You still have options around your guarantee this year in terms of refunds etc so if you want to discuss you can call us on 1300 336 667."

I will definitely NOT be requesting a refund, but I am happy that they've decided to credit members with the payment for next year.

That's nice to hear. I'm certainly going to struggle to pay my renewal for next season (given my membership is around $700). This might make it easier without needing to 'downgrade'... not that I'm worried about missing out on a grand final anytime soon 

• Like 1