Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Coronavirus: AFL & MFC



Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I mean more directed to the fans.

I'm not having a crack at them at all or saying it's a 'fail' or anything like that. More just saying that the next level for us is to do the extra things, and so far this year we've started doing that fairly well and would be awesome to see that kept up now, but it's not make or break by any stretch.

Good from the Dees...

"A different type of podcast. 😅

Coming this afternoon."

 

Edited by Lord Nev
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slightly off topic but I just wanted to say that I live in Lucca in Italy and that, from our experience, the most important thing to do is to stop the spread of the virus....by whatever means necessar

You would have to be a real [censored] to call the club and abuse their membership department and demand refunds right now.  This is not within their control and a club like ours can ill afford canc

well, that's me done in the footy industry then have worked at club level for port adelaide, for telstra network, then fox sports over the last decade and a half made redundant today, along

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, No10 said:

I’m in London. I almost certainly have a mild case of the virus. For me it’s not been dramatic, I’m 40 and in solid health. They currently only test here if you’re admitted.

The first week was like a light flu. But the past three days it’s like someone standing on my chest (a very light person). I notice the work to breathe. I can fully appreciate the need for ventilators and the seriousness it could cause in others.

I’m completely fine and confident I’ll recover without any need for a hospital visit.

Regarding AFL!

I was firmly of the belief they’d play a few rounds and then be halted by a surge of cases.

Then infections would peak over a couple of months. At some stage, games could resume as Australia moved past the mass infection-at-once threat.

But it seems Australia is trying for full containment.

That appears different to the northern hemisphere, (which might be sensible, I’m not a doctor)

I wonder what this will mean for the rest of the season? I had optimism, but not so sure now.

Note- I know many people have far more concerning issues than if we’ll see football again in 2020. For those, I wish you the best and hope for the best.

Look after yourself No10. I think I could safely say that all Demonlanders wish you a speedy recovery.

To give you something to do while you're in lockdown, could you explain your name? Are you a particular fan of Melbourne players who have worn the No 10 guernsey or are you referencing instead your favourite British Prime Minister(s)?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, No10 said:

I’m in London. I almost certainly have a mild case of the virus. For me it’s not been dramatic, I’m 40 and in solid health. They currently only test here if you’re admitted.

The first week was like a light flu. But the past three days it’s like someone standing on my chest (a very light person). I notice the work to breathe. I can fully appreciate the need for ventilators and the seriousness it could cause in others.

I’m completely fine and confident I’ll recover without any need for a hospital visit.

Regarding AFL!

I was firmly of the belief they’d play a few rounds and then be halted by a surge of cases.

Then infections would peak over a couple of months. At some stage, games could resume as Australia moved past the mass infection-at-once threat.

But it seems Australia is trying for full containment.

That appears different to the northern hemisphere, (which might be sensible, I’m not a doctor)

I wonder what this will mean for the rest of the season? I had optimism, but not so sure now.

Note- I know many people have far more concerning issues than if we’ll see football again in 2020. For those, I wish you the best and hope for the best.

Get yourself to hospital mate.   Guard against it becoming Pneumonia, which it sounds like it could well becoming.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope AFL collapses and clubs fail. And footy players have to get real jobs. 

Those in Victoria - would always wanna play footy. Enough people can get together (when allowed) and reform our 12 clubs - in Victoria. Allow the hipster set around Fitzroy have a team. 

  • Angry 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, radar said:

Hope AFL collapses and clubs fail. And footy players have to get real jobs. 

Those in Victoria - would always wanna play footy. Enough people can get together (when allowed) and reform our 12 clubs - in Victoria. Allow the hipster set around Fitzroy have a team. 

Thats ridiculous and narrow minded and really pretty silly. Lots of people without jobs if there is NO AFL, not even talking about players. Suggest you pull your head in and show some empathy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, radar said:

Hope AFL collapses and clubs fail. And footy players have to get real jobs. 

Those in Victoria - would always wanna play footy. Enough people can get together (when allowed) and reform our 12 clubs - in Victoria. Allow the hipster set around Fitzroy have a team. 

Don't agree with the sentiment of your post but you're right in that the players may have to get a day job to supplement a potential pay cut going forward.

I also think we should explore the idea (as should other clubs) of playing a few home games down at GMHBA stadium against poor drawing sides - if we're in dire financial trouble next year, and on the assumption we can receive a nice cheque for the game.

The stadium will soon hold 40,000 people so it should be utilised more than 9 times a season.

I don't think we'll be able to afford to play certain games at the G if we can't make a profit from those games.

I also sincerely hope the AFL will give us one of Queens Birthday or Anzac Eve as a home game next year, despite 2021 being our turn to be the away side for both marquee events.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I also think we should explore the idea (as should other clubs) of playing a few home games down at GMHBA stadium against poor drawing sides - if we're in dire financial trouble next year, and on the assumption we can receive a nice cheque for the game.

The stadium will soon hold 40,000 people so it should be utilised more than 9 times a season.

Worth looking at but the reason Geelong make the money they do there are reserved seats, super boxes and ground advertising from a clean stadium.For us to get anywhere near similar revenues would require us to hire the stadium for  an almost nominal sum which is effectively what Geelong gets it for due to government subsidies.

You may recall that there was  a push for a 30,000 seat stadium in the Olympic precinct for the very reasons you suggest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFL are desperate if they think they can play into December

Due to the World T20 cup all the major grounds are booked for October and November. Sure they can play in Alice Springs and at Docklands etc but there comes a time when the season would be an embarrassment (think Essendon with its players banned).

If I was the TV media rights owner I would be offering 50% at best of the contracted rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, radar said:

Hope AFL collapses and clubs fail. And footy players have to get real jobs. 

Those in Victoria - would always wanna play footy. Enough people can get together (when allowed) and reform our 12 clubs - in Victoria. Allow the hipster set around Fitzroy have a team. 

Is there  a quiet agenda to get a 'hipster' team into the AFL?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, No10 said:

I’m in London. I almost certainly have a mild case of the virus. For me it’s not been dramatic, I’m 40 and in solid health. They currently only test here if you’re admitted.

The first week was like a light flu. But the past three days it’s like someone standing on my chest (a very light person). I notice the work to breathe. I can fully appreciate the need for ventilators and the seriousness it could cause in others.

I’m completely fine and confident I’ll recover without any need for a hospital visit.

Regarding AFL!

I was firmly of the belief they’d play a few rounds and then be halted by a surge of cases.

Then infections would peak over a couple of months. At some stage, games could resume as Australia moved past the mass infection-at-once threat.

But it seems Australia is trying for full containment.

That appears different to the northern hemisphere, (which might be sensible, I’m not a doctor)

I wonder what this will mean for the rest of the season? I had optimism, but not so sure now.

Note- I know many people have far more concerning issues than if we’ll see football again in 2020. For those, I wish you the best and hope for the best.

Whereabouts are you in London? I live in Ealing (actually just moved a week before they brought in the tougher measures). I've *touch wood* been able to stay healthy and avoid getting sick but I also know that Ealing is one of the higher rated areas which genuinely makes me worry about going out.

That said if you're not far from me and need someone to drop off essentials (beer etc) I'd be happy to help.

Like you I thought the AFL would get a couple of rounds out of the way before pausing the season, but it sounds like Australia is making a similar mistake to the UK in that they've got a foot in both camp. Containment, but not restricting movement/non-essential work. Mixed messages stuffed up the UK (London in particular which should have locked down 1-2 weeks ago), I really hope it won't happen in Australia.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Look after yourself No10. I think I could safely say that all Demonlanders wish you a speedy recovery.

To give you something to do while you're in lockdown, could you explain your name? Are you a particular fan of Melbourne players who have worn the No 10 guernsey or are you referencing instead your favourite British Prime Minister(s)?

Thanks La Dee. My symptoms are mild thankfully, the breathing and tiredness is a different experience. Interesting to see how the players cope, without wishing them to be infected.

My name was a moment of failed creativity. However, given Boris is now also infected I could claim solidarity.
It was the current 10, Gus that caught my eye as the type of player I admire. He's not as flashy as Oliver or Trac, but highly skilled. He's hard but more composed than Jones. He's witty and well spoken without the big personality of Max.

He's the glue of a team.

I love all these players, but Gus feels like the reliable constant. That I appreciate. Thanks La Dee

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe in the long term there will be a return to some form of healthy competition. The virus will go but the world economy will likely be devastated. The worst horrors are yet to come. The government will provide bread and circuses like the Romans did to keep the plebs from becoming too restless.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pates said:

Whereabouts are you in London? I live in Ealing (actually just moved a week before they brought in the tougher measures). I've *touch wood* been able to stay healthy and avoid getting sick but I also know that Ealing is one of the higher rated areas which genuinely makes me worry about going out.

That said if you're not far from me and need someone to drop off essentials (beer etc) I'd be happy to help.

Like you I thought the AFL would get a couple of rounds out of the way before pausing the season, but it sounds like Australia is making a similar mistake to the UK in that they've got a foot in both camp. Containment, but not restricting movement/non-essential work. Mixed messages stuffed up the UK (London in particular which should have locked down 1-2 weeks ago), I really hope it won't happen in Australia.

Hey Pates! I saw you recently mention London as being home.
I'm in Notting Hill - also had a high infection rate here, though haven't checked in a while.

That's an incredibly kind offer, we have plenty of supplies currently and no shortage of alcohol, thankfully!

The government responses do seem a mess, though even in hindsight I couldn't say how it should've been handled. Seems like a global experiment that we wont see results for another month or few.

I'm not usually much for symbolic public displays, but the clapping and cheering last night was moving. The health care workers are in real danger.

Hope you stay healthy. At least you have some quality time to setup your new home. Be well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Get yourself to hospital mate.   Guard against it becoming Pneumonia, which it sounds like it could well becoming.

Thanks Martian. I did visit, but not yet sick enough. See how we go

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, No10 said:

I'm not usually much for symbolic public displays, but the clapping and cheering last night was moving. The health care workers are in real danger.

Hope you stay healthy. At least you have some quality time to setup your new home. Be well.

Totally agree, I wasn't sure if the people in Ealing would get behind it but I was really pleased to see that they did. All the health care workers must be working to the point of exhaustion so I hope it provided them with good feels to know that people appreciate their efforts.

You stay healthy as well mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Why.?

Why not look at it from all our perspectives,  and the good of the community,  to maintain our code of footy far into our futures,  and that of our kids futures.

It Was Just one post. Doesn’t mean I’m not considering the broader picture. The players deserve to be considered in this like everyone and everything else. It’s their livelihood 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demonland said:

 

Double headers eh?

Did anyone here go to the double headers in 1986 and can share their memory of them?

I think we were involved in both double headers - vs Sydney (loss) and Geelong (win) and both games were the ‘curtain raiser’.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DubDee said:

It Was Just one post. Doesn’t mean I’m not considering the broader picture. The players deserve to be considered in this like everyone and everything else. It’s their livelihood 

Should Directors & CEO's of Multi-Nationals,  still receive their multi-million dollars salaries.?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HOT PIES FREEZE DEES by George on the Outer

    In the Annual Big Freeze game in support of Neale Daniher's fight against MND, it was Collingwood who froze the ambitions of the Demons, and it now challenges them to thaw out their prospects in the second half of the season. Even though Melbourne opened the scoring account, it was quickly countered by Collingwood, as the Demons appeared flat. And even though they held a minor lead at the first break, it was only through a couple of fortunate efforts, but nothing more.  All around

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    FROZEN by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne supporters are an unusual lot. Their lived experiences over years of witnessing their team’s humiliation at the hands of the competition’s bullies have left them suspended in a Bizarro World beset by a cognitive distortion know as 'mental filtering'. This is a phenomenon that occurs when people focus exclusively and blindly on long held belief systems. They refuse to accept that conditions have changed so when the evidence is present before their very own eyes, their minds are frozen.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 4

    CHANGES: 2021 MID SEASON by The Oracle 

    Since the end of the 2020 free agency, trade and draft period, AFL clubs have had two further bites of the cherry to top up their lists — the supplemental selection period (SSP) and the 2021 mid-season rookie draft (MSD). The main idea behind both was to enable the fulfillment of immediate needs as a result of injuries or unexpected retirements but this year, we have seen the added dimension of straight out recruitment for the future rather than for now. As a consequence, a number of ready

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    LION TAMERS by George On The Outer

    In an enthralling game between two top four sides, it was the Demons who tamed the Lions, and propelled themselves into the position of premiership favourite even though the season is barely past the halfway mark. This is because Melbourne keeps on beating those teams around them who might provide a challenge. Not only that, it keeps winning with emphatic displays of resilience and toughness that have not been seen in a Demons side for many, many years. Challenged in the first half of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DUELING BANJOS by Whispering Jack

    In the classic Australian poem, A B “Banjo” Paterson sought the answer by letter to a question concerning the whereabouts of a drover named “Clancy”. The response from Clancy’s shearing mate was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar: “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.” Most of us would have felt a little bit that way earlier in the week wondering about the possible whereabouts of the Melbourne team for this week’s encounter against Brisbane. Were th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOGGED DEEFENCE by George on the Outer

    “No-one let the Dogs out” was the Demons response for the (former) top side.  The Melbourne defence, capably lead by Steven May and Jake Lever simply suffocated any hopes that the Western Bulldogs might have had about leading the competition at the mid-way point. Instead, it is the Demons who now sit at the top of the ladder, again a game clear, while their supporters are starting to believe that this side is the real deal.  Pity is that those same supporters couldn’t watch their team demol

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LOOK AWAY DEMON FANS by The Oracle

    Last week I predicted a comfortable Melbourne victory for its game against Adelaide. “Something in the order of 61 points”, I opined. Well, after the game, I checked the wording of my preview very carefully from all angles and I have now concluded that I have to issue an apology to Demon fans. I got it wrong. I’m not bitter and twisted about my error in failing to predict the coaching errors, defensive mistakes, lack of forward pressure and, of course, the complete failure of those officiat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CALM BEFORE THE CALM by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons overcame a sluggish first half to run over the Sydney Swans in the second to record an emphatic 40 point victory, maintaining their undefeated record and retaining top spot on the VFL ladder. The game originally listed as part of the Round 4 fixture but delayed due to a Covid19 scare in Sydney and the scrappy way in which the teams approached the contest suggested that the players were still in delay mode. This applied in particular to most of the 12 AFL listed Casey player

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NOTHING TO CROW ABOUT by George On The Outer

    Melbourne’s nine game winning streak  came to an end in Adelaide with a one point loss to the Crows. Losing to a team that had only won three games for the season, having lost five in a row was certainly nothing to crow about.  All around the ground players collectively put in their poorest performance for the year.  The loss of Christian Salem before the match was critical, as his replacement Nev Jetta is a mere shadow the player he once was. The mind is still willing, but the body no

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CRYING OVER SPILT MILK by The Oracle

    It had to happen sooner or later. Melbourne has been riding high through the season to date and, with the exception of a small bunch of nuff nuffs who are never satisfied with anything, the club has attracted more positive vibes from the community in these nine weeks than it did in the past decade. So it came as no surprise to see some low grade stirring of the sort which only the media could come up with at a time like this. The on line site Zero Hanger came up with an article that opined,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CATNIPPED by KC from Casey

    After winning big away from home across the first three rounds of the new look VFL competition, the Casey Demons were forced to dig deep against Geelong VFL at Casey Fields on Saturday. The traditional AFL based teams were evenly matched, fielding ten listed players apiece and this was reflected in the evenness of the game and the final margin which saw the home side leading by a solitary point on the final siren. Casey suffered an early blow when Jake Bowey came off with what ap

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    BLUES IN THE RED by George On The Outer

    While the Demons’ undefeated run continues unabated now at 9-0 their emphatic 26 point victory pushed the Blues to their sixth loss for the season and deeper into the red for the year. While Melbourne opened proceedings with an early goal, the Blues responded with the next two to grab an early lead.  However, as has happened in so many games this year, the Demons fought back to lead by just over a goal come the first break. This narrow lead was part of a streak either side of quarter t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...