Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Big Col

Coronavirus: AFL & MFC

Recommended Posts

Would anyone on here on a fixed contract take 79% pay cut? Contracts are there for a reason. To provide job security especially in a career that on average lasts 4 years. The PA are there to represent the best interests of the playing group and that is what they are doing. 
extreme circumstances for sure but I’m trying to see things from the player’s perspective 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Demonland said:

 

Still nothing from the Dees?

We'll be the last club to act as per usual. We'll probably even be the nice guy club and keep on all our staff. Probably pay the players double too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Kelpien said:

Still nothing from the Dees?

We'll be the last club to act as per usual. We'll probably even be the nice guy club and keep on all our staff. Probably pay the players double too.

Read somewhere on 'Land someone said staff had been stood down.

Also, Goodwin is on a part time contract currently.

Bit poor the club hasn't made a statement to fill in the members still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Demonland said:

 

Outrageous if the AFLPA and contracted players allow that to happen.  The minimum wage players are rookies and 1st and 2nd year draftees some of whom have moved interstate to play.

I would really like to see some senior AFL players do a 'Chris Scott'; take a more compassionate stand - more compassionate to their non-playing club colleagues and to their junior playing colleagues.

For Reiwoldt to argue that playrers have rent, mortgages and families to support is incredibly unaware of what is happening to millions of Australians losing their jobs who also have rent, mortgages and families to support. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Read somewhere on 'Land someone said staff had been stood down.

Also, Goodwin is on a part time contract currently.

Bit poor the club hasn't made a statement to fill in the members still.

Not sure it really matters that we have or haven't been told. Surely it's a given that all clubs will stand down 70 - 90% of staff.

Max has said that a lot of staff have been stood down, the press have been told that Goodwin is on reduced hours. We would certainly have very few, if any any media or membership staff left. 

Do we need to know more? Maybe down the track, but not now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Other clubs identified as potential casualties have come out to reassure members:

North Will Survive

Suns:  We Are Not folding!

St Kilda's Return to Moorabbin could save the Club  (Scroll down page to get to Saints story)

Good to see they are on the 'front foot' and communicated with members and fans. 

Meanwhile, we wait.

Another entity comes out to assure sports fans. 

Foxtel: We feel secure

Apologies for quoting my own post but I would like to track how long it takes mfc to come out and reassure us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Other clubs identified as potential casualties have come out to reassure members:

North Will Survive

Suns:  We Are Not folding!

St Kilda's Return to Moorabbin could save the Club  (Scroll down page to get to Saints story)

Good to see they are on the 'front foot' and communicated with members and fans. 

Meanwhile, we wait.

We have already had 2 letters from Bartlett and Pert how many do you want?  I suspect they have a lot on their plate and we’ll here from them soon again anyway.  Supporters also need to stop putting us in same category as Gold Coast and St Kilda.  We have 2m debt 10m in bank and real assets - St Kilda have over 14m debt and who knows how much Gold Coast owes.  We are the foundation Club who wrote the rules - we won’t fold - AFL will make sure all 18 clubs come through this seriously if there was no drama around this there would be nothing to report on

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

We have already had 2 letters from Bartlett and Pert how many do you want?  I suspect they have a lot on their plate and we’ll here from them soon again anyway.  Supporters also need to stop putting us in same category as Gold Coast and St Kilda.  We have 2m debt 10m in bank and real assets - St Kilda have over 14m debt and who knows how much Gold Coast owes.  We are the foundation Club who wrote the rules - we won’t fold - AFL will make sure all 18 clubs come through this seriously if there was no drama around this there would be nothing to report on

I have emails from the club dated March 15 to explain the separation of players/staff and one on March 19 thanking members for their support and asking for them to get more people to sign up.

Both were: we are in 'business-as-usual' type messages. 

The AFL is now in crisis mode:  On March 22 the season was suspended.  It is no long 'business-as-usual'.

Nothing from the club since then. 

So yeah, I and perhaps the majority of the other 37,000 members, want to here that we will also survive and like the other clubs outline why they think that can happen.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have emails from the club dated March 15 to explain the separation of players/staff and one on March 19 thanking members for their support and asking for them to get more people to sign up.

Both were: we are in 'business-as-usual' type messages. 

The AFL is now in crisis mode:  On March 22 the season was suspended.  It is no long 'business-as-usual'.

Nothing from the club since then. 

So yeah, I and perhaps the majority of the other 37,000 members, want to here that we will also survive and like the other clubs outline why they think that can happen.

While I understand your point, I would rather those still working at the club spend their time securing its future rather than worrying about informing members of what they're doing. I know it might seem that preparing a bulletin for members and supporters should be a simple task that doesn't take much time, but given the shifting sands upon which we all stand, I don't think it is that easy at all. 

Would I like to be informed? Yes. Is it more important than doing everything else to protect the club's future? No.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care that they haven't released anything to the members as yet, I do not want to sold some false hope.

I would rather wait until the dust settles and then be told EXACTLY what is happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Not sure it really matters that we have or haven't been told. Surely it's a given that all clubs will stand down 70 - 90% of staff.

Max has said that a lot of staff have been stood down, the press have been told that Goodwin is on reduced hours. We would certainly have very few, if any any media or membership staff left. 

Do we need to know more? Maybe down the track, but not now

No one needs to know exact details, but a bit of a glimpse at what measures the club is taking to assure our future would certainly help the members and supporters currently. We all know we're a struggling club and even thought it's clearly not the biggest issue for any of us right now; it would be helpful to know a little more.

Doesn't even have to be some official club statement or the like, could be something as simple as some kind of combined video of messages from players, coaches and Pert/Bartlett just telling the supporters to stick fat and we'll be back. Might seem like a small thing, but it's times like this where gestures like that can mean a lot to supporters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

No one needs to know exact details, but a bit of a glimpse at what measures the club is taking to assure our future would certainly help the members and supporters currently. We all know we're a struggling club and even thought it's clearly not the biggest issue for any of us right now; it would be helpful to know a little more.

Doesn't even have to be some official club statement or the like, could be something as simple as some kind of combined video of messages from players, coaches and Pert/Bartlett just telling the supporters to stick fat and we'll be back. Might seem like a small thing, but it's times like this where gestures like that can mean a lot to supporters.

Like the comments Max made to the media? Or like those Jake Lever said late yesterday about player welfare?

Whatever MFC, Norf, Saints or GCS say at this moment is hollow. No one knows where this is going, for how long, or to what extent it will impact our finances going forward (beyond massively, of course). 

Goodwin, Pert, Bartlett and the rest of the AFL are probably just worrying about their families, relos, friends and their own situation right now. And rightly so for a while. 

Goodwin is only on deck a couple of days per week, I reckon he'll put out a 'stick fat' Insta clip in the coming week or two. Isolation has only just begun. It's not a race to be first.

I like to think I'm as passionate a Dees fan as most. I'm looking at no income for months and my super resembles a lead balloon, but I know others worse off. For now, I personally couldn't give a [censored] what statement the club puts out.

But I hear what you are saying.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Demonland said:

 

As I understand it the football year runs from October to October and players have been paid 6months of their annual fee. The new salary year will commence in October by which time things should be "normal". So in reality they are being asked to take a somewhere between a 25-35% cut on their annual salary.

The real debate is over the salary level for the 2020-21 year and who knows ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Like the comments Max made to the media? Or like those Jake Lever said late yesterday about player welfare?

Whatever MFC, Norf, Saints or GCS say at this moment is hollow. No one knows where this is going, for how long, or to what extent it will impact our finances going forward (beyond massively, of course). 

Goodwin, Pert, Bartlett and the rest of the AFL are probably just worrying about their families, relos, friends and their own situation right now. And rightly so for a while. 

Goodwin is only on deck a couple of days per week, I reckon he'll put out a 'stick fat' Insta clip in the coming week or two. Isolation has only just begun. It's not a race to be first.

I like to think I'm as passionate a Dees fan as most. I'm looking at no income for months and my super resembles a lead balloon, but I know others worse off. For now, I personally couldn't give a [censored] what statement the club puts out.

But I hear what you are saying.

I mean more directed to the fans.

I'm not having a crack at them at all or saying it's a 'fail' or anything like that. More just saying that the next level for us is to do the extra things, and so far this year we've started doing that fairly well and would be awesome to see that kept up now, but it's not make or break by any stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Like the comments Max made to the media? Or like those Jake Lever said late yesterday about player welfare?

Whatever MFC, Norf, Saints or GCS say at this moment is hollow. No one knows where this is going, for how long, or to what extent it will impact our finances going forward (beyond massively, of course). 

Goodwin, Pert, Bartlett and the rest of the AFL are probably just worrying about their families, relos, friends and their own situation right now. And rightly so for a while. 

Goodwin is only on deck a couple of days per week, I reckon he'll put out a 'stick fat' Insta clip in the coming week or two. Isolation has only just begun. It's not a race to be first.

I like to think I'm as passionate a Dees fan as most. I'm looking at no income for months and my super resembles a lead balloon, but I know others worse off. For now, I personally couldn't give a [censored] what statement the club puts out.

But I hear what you are saying.

I don't read all the DL threads so haven't seen Max's or Jake's comments.  Would be grateful if you could provide a bit more info or a link.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

As I understand it the football year runs from October to October and players have been paid 6months of their annual fee. The new salary year will commence in October by which time things should be "normal". So in reality they are being asked to take a somewhere between a 25-35% cut on their annual salary.

The real debate is over the salary level for the 2020-21 year and who knows ???

A sensible approach is for players to be paid on a percentage of generated club revenue, percentage to be agreed on. That would be fair assuming complete transparency is adhered to.  Further I would like to see all players be paid equally until certainty to the finances of the competition is restored.

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I don't read all the DL threads so haven't seen Max's or Jake's comments.  Would be grateful if you could provide a bit more info or a link.  Thanks.

Two posts above yours Luce

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the prospect of clubs being forced to merge as a result of this crisis is real - the senior reporters are all running with that at the moment, so i personally would rather our senior personnel don't run with the 'we'll be okay' narrative of the likes of north, saints, and gc17 because, quite simply, you really can't be that confident

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

the prospect of clubs being forced to merge as a result of this crisis is real - the senior reporters are all running with that at the moment, so i personally would rather our senior personnel don't run with the 'we'll be okay' narrative of the likes of north, saints, and gc17 because, quite simply, you really can't be that confident

mmmmm  I smell a small rat.

The AFL commission have wanted mergers of Melbourne clubs for years. Fan backlash has made it too hard. This could be the excuse they need

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

mmmmm  I smell a small rat.

The AFL commission have wanted mergers of Melbourne clubs for years. Fan backlash has made it too hard. This could be the excuse they need

unfortunately it very well may be needed

in an ideal world a 12 or 14 team national afl competition would be the ideal 'model' with 22 or 26 games - and doing away completely with the pre-season rubbish - allows everyone playing home and away

sadly, those thinking that we'd be part of that need to think again

16 min quarters plus time on will be here to stay as well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

unfortunately it very well may be needed

in an ideal world a 12 or 14 team national afl competition would be the ideal 'model'

Why would the AFL bring in 2 new teams and then recently start considering more if that was the case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...