Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: MS02 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

7 hours ago, monoccular said:

Various views on one who could be a very important asset.   

Looking forward to hearing an authoritative response. 

He was hobbling with ice immediately after the game on the ground shaking hands.i didn't see later on in the rooms but good news if it wasn't on. 

9 hours ago, Win4theAges said:

Best I've seen a Demons back 6 look.

Just read the drop of the ball, defensive coordination, numbers at the contest, ball distribution (circulation) pressing high, the ball was falling into their laps.

Hawthorn had no method bring the ball into the f50, completely shut down.

Thanks. Much appreciated

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

OK I'll change my team to suit you so it will almost be the team that played Hawthorn.

B: JETTA, MAY, LEVER

HB: LOCKHART, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, TOMLINSON

HF: NEAL-BULLEN, T.MCDONALD, JONES

F: SPARGO, FRITSCH, MELKSHAM

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, HARMES, SALEM, WEIDEMAN

EMERG: VANDENBERG

CASEY

B: J.WAGNER, HUTCHINS, WHITE

HB: RIVERS, SMITH, HORE

C : HUNT, SPARROW, BAKER

HF: HANNAN, PETTY, PICKETT

F: BEDFORD, BROWN, CHANDLER

FOLL: JACKSON, JORDON, MUNRO

IC: DUNKLEY, C.WAGNER, LEWIS, BRADTKE

EMERG: MCCAFFERY

Hard to put a side together but Kozzie will play rd 1 I’d say. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Had a few DD? Having a differing opinion is great and needed but you really do offer zero value here. You just tend to slag people off rather than give anything back. It’s an Internet forum for Dees fans in case you missed that part.

It appears I have been red carded by the mods for my original reply to your post.

8 hours ago, willmoy said:

Couple of good things here.

Switching ....Melbourne.....amazing and it was working with reasonably clean effective disposal, blokes prepared to cover ground.

Tomlinson played like he was a glove fit for us and had time.

Liked the way Lever was gradually creeping up the ground, with May out back there was always someone capable there.

Tough to find a more creative handballer to advantage than Spargo, not withstanding Oliver.

There are still several changes to come in this team.

I'm glad someone else is noticing Spargos creativeness. I've always felt he "adds value" meaning the person he gives the ball to is usually in a much better position to use it than he was. He doesn't get heaps of it, but his touches are often high value. It's something really good to work with. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, deanox said:

I'm glad someone else is noticing Spargos creativeness. I've always felt he "adds value" meaning the person he gives the ball to is usually in a much better position to use it than he was. He doesn't get heaps of it, but his touches are often high value. It's something really good to work with. 

Shush, picket fence might hear you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

My point was I thought Spargo played a better game than Bedford. No worries though mate, you clearly have much more knowledge than anyone else on here and make a point of stating that at every opportunity...apologies for having an opinion on an opinion site.

Care to name the round 1 team for us? Or will you will go with the old line that you will keep it to yourself because you are trusted by the club with info that you can’t give to others?

Saty is completely out of his depth when it's not a training thread. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So the real positives for me were the return to good form of:

Viney

Spargo

Freitch 

Melksham 

May

Oscar - I actually thought he looked like he belonged again tonight

ANB in patches

Hibbard late in the game

Brayshaw was quite serviceable and did a few nice things

Bedford showed he's on the pace

Continued good form from:

Lochart

Tomlinson 

Langdon

Was a bit disappointed with:

Trac didn't dominate, but better to save that for Rd 1

Clarry was average, but has a few credits up his sheave and did a few nice things

Jones didn't play a full game.  I assume he is being managed for the season ahead, due to old age, but did some nice stuff when on the ground and suggested again he could make an important contribution this season.

Injuries to Weid and AVB

Commentators talked up Lever a fair bit, but I thought he was just ok, but conversely good to get through another game

T Mac's almost non existent presence was one of the more disappointing things of the night to me, but then I do also wounder if they had him playing a slightly different role, with Freitch and Melksham playing deep and being the main focal points.

Overall, I thought we lacked a bit of system and skills at times, but the wind did seem quite tricky and for a team in the Hawks that I think many commentators would have ahead of us, I thought we made them look pretty ordinary and were not really threatened by them for most of the game.  For the most part though, I thought we looked pretty well in control of the game, which had not often been the case against Hawthorn for the past few years.  The game did look a little like the intensity wasn't quite there at times, like both teams really did hold back a little more in reserve than if there was points on the line.

So I was unable to watch the game due to NBN outage, but I was concerned that Patton might kick a bag against us. Who was on him? If it was May then this is why we got him, to look after the big gorilla forwards. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

O.Mac isn't offensive enough and considering Jetta isn't great offensively I don't want too many who don't attack, but if Lever struggles at CHB then he probably comes in straight away.

7 hours ago, The Swimming Dee said:

OMac is a defender and was excellent in the defensive system tonight

Oscar is playing round 1 because that's how our back line structure works. 

May takes the biggest and strongest, and will tend to stay at home.

Lever is floating, reading the play,  intercepting. He'll roam around but if his opponent is trying to drag him out of the backline, he'll switch opponents so he can be closer to goal. 

Omac is the inbetween, with the ability to play either role but not excel at either. He can step up if we need a second large defender but also isn't limited to only playing on the big guys. But his main skills are excellent zoning, and playing to team rules/structure. He allows Lever the flexibility to come and go where and when he needs. He provides the close to home support that May need to execute his role. 

I know most will call Lever the 3rd tall, because he will float and intercept, but I think that Oscar is the real third tall because his role requires the flexibility. 

• Like 8

We do have a good conundrum, for the first time in ages, which is who we select to play as small forwards in two weeks time. 

Kossie is obviously the favoured choice, and he has done more than enough to be selected. 

However, we know that ANB is a Goody favourite and he was decent in patches last night. I thought Sparho, while not getting a huge amount of the pill, put on some terrific pressure and did some really clever things, while Bedford has showed some glimpses of impressive play. 

My choice, at the moment, would be Kossie and Spargo, but I'm interested to hear where others stand. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

We do have a good conundrum, for the first time in ages, which is who we select to play as small forwards in two weeks time. 

Kossie is obviously the favoured choice, and he has done more than enough to be selected. 

However, we know that ANB is a Goody favourite and he was decent in patches last night. I thought Sparho, while not getting a huge amount of the pill, put on some terrific pressure and did some really clever things, while Bedford has showed some glimpses of impressive play. 

My choice, at the moment, would be Kossie and Spargo, but I'm interested to hear where others stand. 

It's early interesting because they are all so different. 

ANBs strength is his endurance running. Does have Langdon and Tomlinson negate the need for this? He also generates a lot of shots/ chances on goal. Doesn't always take them but it's involved a lot.

Spargo doesn't necessarily have the gut nor the knack of creating chances close to goal, but he seems to create a lot of scoring chains from up the field. His touches add lots of value, but there aren't heaps of turn. 

Bedford seemed to have good spark and pace, and apparently had good endurance. If he keeps developing it will be interesting to see where he goes. 

Kossie has power, explosion and opportunism. In limited exposure he seems to find the goals, and hunt opposition. He is more of a goal sneak at this stage. 

What roles do we want them to play? Creator? Finisher / goal sneak / opportunist? Chance generator?

Edit: I probably fence sat so he are my thoughts: I'd probably start the year with ANB and Kossie based on exposed form. I think primarily, ANB is under pressure from Spargo, and Kossie from Bedford, and it wouldn't surprise me to see three of them in the side at times this year. 

It's a great problem to have given we've struggled in this role. 

Edited by deanox
  • Like 5

Despite the modern "knowledge" , I like to win every game, every time.

I am almost optimistic for the season ahead.

• Like 4

A much more ‘mature’ gameplan.  The number of contested and uncontested marks shows how different we are moving the ball, looking for our new wingers and switching to them when we can.  Defensive setup and zoning looked good, and contested ball was also a positive area for us.  Entry inside 50 and our out of touch talls is perhaps the only real concern.  Dorks marked the incoming balls too easily.  Need to at least halve every entry.

good signs, but we are not quite there yet.  More to work on, and I think lots of upside in the squad.

• Like 5

Was impressed by Lockhart down back, whoever from the coaching staff tthought that one up has found a good one there.

Beford vs Kossie vs Spargo... 

TBH Beford is leading the race for round 1, he obviously showed up to preseason in great condition running 2nd(?) in the time trial and has shown enough in my opinion. Feel as though people want Kossie to play to fit the narrative, I think it'll be good to make him absolutely earn his spot after some solid form at Casey, games and debuts aren't just handed out 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JV7 said:

Was impressed by Lockhart down back, whoever from the coaching staff tthought that one up has found a good one there.

Beford vs Kossie vs Spargo... 

TBH Beford is leading the race for round 1, he obviously showed up to preseason in great condition running 2nd(?) in the time trial and has shown enough in my opinion. Feel as though people want Kossie to play to fit the narrative, I think it'll be good to make him absolutely earn his spot after some solid form at Casey, games and debuts aren't just handed out 

I didn't realize Bedford nailed the time trial. 

Is he capable of covering the distance ANB does? If so that really places some pressure on him and his role. 

I think the reason Kossie is favored is because he seems to be that natural opportunist rather than general "hard running small forward" which the others are. He is the only true goal sneak on that list, I think. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We are finishing games strongly

That is what i take out of these early games. 

keep up the training regime Mr Burgess

Yep that and our structures seem better. Skills particularly going inside 50 are letting us down but I'm hoping it's just preseason rust. We need a genuine forward target to straighten us up, TMac didn't seem to provide that consistently

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Pickett, Lockhardt, Bedford - all in - big threats to defensive lines. Drop Weed, put in Preusse when fit again. Drop OMac. Marty Hore is a must for the backline in tandem with Lever and Harmes. 

How long till you geese realise that Lever does not play a key defender role.?He never did in his great last year with Adelaide when they played Talia  and Brown  in the key roles, Lever as a tall floater.  So unless Lockhart has put on 10cm and can play CHB or FB, Oscar or some other tall has to play

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, deanox said:

I didn't realize Bedford nailed the time trial. 

Is he capable of covering the distance ANB does? If so that really places some pressure on him and his role. 

I think the reason Kossie is favored is because he seems to be that natural opportunist rather than general "hard running small forward" which the others are. He is the only true goal sneak on that list, I think. 

I hope Bedford overtakes ANB as I cringe when he goes near the ball and fumbles, gets in the way or turns it over. Admittedly, ANB was quite good in patches last night. I know he offers plenty of run and is a coach's favourite, but the sooner Bedford can overtake him the better IMO - he's faster, a better tackler and hopefully won't be as fumbly with the loose/disputed ball. Bedford should also be able to cover as much ground with his tank. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

Crazy-busy emergency-what-not so only got a glancing look at the highlights - but it seemed like Hunt was in everything :)

Elsewhere, May looked super-rusty and Frtitsch seems to be edging toward the super-star status I've been quietly expecting.

Jackwho is my new nickname for Bailey. I think he may be about to break the mould - can't think of a ready comparison. 

My questions for those who did watch - did Petracca follow-up or was he maybe taking it easy? Was May actually [censored]? 

Also - the TMac-Weid-Jackson-Brown nexus - do we have issues? Can these be overcome by our mid-fleet on a reg basis? 

Hunt wasn’t playing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

So the real positives for me were the return to good form of:

Viney

Spargo

Freitch 

Melksham 

May

Oscar - I actually thought he looked like he belonged again tonight

ANB in patches

Hibbard late in the game

Brayshaw was quite serviceable and did a few nice things

Bedford showed he's on the pace

Continued good form from:

Lochart

Tomlinson 

Langdon

Was a bit disappointed with:

Trac didn't dominate, but better to save that for Rd 1

Clarry was average, but has a few credits up his sheave and did a few nice things

Jones didn't play a full game.  I assume he is being managed for the season ahead, due to old age, but did some nice stuff when on the ground and suggested again he could make an important contribution this season.

Injuries to Weid and AVB

Commentators talked up Lever a fair bit, but I thought he was just ok, but conversely good to get through another game

T Mac's almost non existent presence was one of the more disappointing things of the night to me, but then I do also wounder if they had him playing a slightly different role, with Freitch and Melksham playing deep and being the main focal points.

Overall, I thought we lacked a bit of system and skills at times, but the wind did seem quite tricky and for a team in the Hawks that I think many commentators would have ahead of us, I thought we made them look pretty ordinary and were not really threatened by them for most of the game.  For the most part though, I thought we looked pretty well in control of the game, which had not often been the case against Hawthorn for the past few years.  The game did look a little like the intensity wasn't quite there at times, like both teams really did hold back a little more in reserve than if there was points on the line.

Pre season ...... l agree Oscar held his own and his disposals were clean. He is on the right track and finally getting now.

• Like 3

The 2018 demons are back:

The things that impressed me:

- loved the forward pressure and hunting in packs

- defensive structure was brilliant, the hawks were held up and couldn’t move the ball

- Lockharts quickness was impressive

- Melkshams hit on Scully
- fitness levels, I haven’t seen us this fit

- having two gut running wingers who never come off

Things to still work on:

- accuracy of goal kicking

- bombing into 50 to our numbered forwards was still a concern

Really excited for this season! 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

Still wondering what he did wrong with that bizarre call against him when he spoiled the ball over the line. 

The umpiring was rubbish from quarter time on I thought. Head clash between Scully and Melksham and Scully gets the free?

• Like 3