Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Jack Viney a Liability?


Simon Port
 Share


Recommended Posts

On 3/2/2020 at 11:18 PM, Simon Port said:

The Roar posted a recent article about the Predictions for Melbourne for 2020. It went on to say that we have a surplus of inside mids and too many of the same type of player, specifically targeting Jack. "Jack Viney must have a question mark on his future in the modern game. He's as one-dimensional a player as there is in the AFL, and there are others on the list that perform his main skill of extraction better. He's been demoted from he captaincy. He's also treacle-slow and can't kick. Concerns." Do you think Viney's lack of break away speed since his foot injuries and poor disposal efficiency are major concerns? He is only suited to an inside midfield role and hasn't performed at a high level for a number of years now (I do understand he's had injuries). Thoughts?

 

I wouldnt take anything written by "The Roar" to heart.

Viney battled through the year with no per season. I'm sure they were the first one;s praising him after week 2 of the 2018 finals series.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually like this as a topic. The idea that we have too many similar type players is true... That's what happens when you can't spend the big bucks on rangey superstars like other clubs do.

The idea that Viney gets squeezed out is nonsense though. Oliver is a similar type (slow, in and under) but he'd start in the middle of any club in the land. Viney's not at that level of course, but when he's not hurt (which hasn't happened in a couple of seasons) he's great at what he does. Yes it's true we need more run, better handball receive types... but that doesn't mean the extractors don't have a place, and Jack's one of our best.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Jesus some on here have short memories. Viney brings the type of hardness that we were begging for during our decade in the wilderness. 

Is he a complete midfielder? Of course not, but very, very few players are. Is a fit Jack Viney a key member of our best 22? Absolutely, and to suggest that he won't be in the near future is utter crazy talk. He's not a great kick, but neither is Dangerfield and he goes alright. 

Viney's lateral movement is actually pretty good IMO. Check out the second passage of play from the 2018 semi. Also note who made the desperate futile chase to pressure Gunston's kick in the next passage. Successful finals teams are built around players like Viney. 

 

If you are right.,.he does not trust his lateral movement then.  Too much heading and trying to take on tackler...while having some upside for teammates, does get a tad predictable.

 

Lateral movement dancing maestros like Sam Mitchell and Daniel Kerr and Robert A   Flower and the like would get away with taking on the tackler

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Sargent Shultz said:

i think Stack's day of reckoning is coming, its easy to line up a player on his blind side, who only has eyes for the ball, and deliver a bump that was bordering on reportable. Viney will back into a pack everday of the year- look me up when Stack does the same

Stack’s bump was absolutely brilliant, textbook, fair...
 

Stack will be the pick of the bunch.  Marlion Pickett will exist in his shadow.

 

Stack is a combo of Cyril and Byron.  He is Viney’s kryptonite.  Big wrap.

 

An MFC supporter who can’t genuinely praise the technique and effect of that bump is a one eyed subjective simpleton.

 

 

 

TiGeR 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that Viney is one dimensional lacks depth in his kicking not a big mark and for a so called top midfielder does not kick hit the scoreboard enough the thing is if the opposition plays a similar game (contested) he is all right, when they play a outside game style that is where he fails badly so lets see how he goes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

I actually like this as a topic. The idea that we have too many similar type players is true... That's what happens when you can't spend the big bucks on rangey superstars like other clubs do.

The idea that Viney gets squeezed out is nonsense though. Oliver is a similar type (slow, in and under) but he'd start in the middle of any club in the land. Viney's not at that level of course, but when he's not hurt (which hasn't happened in a couple of seasons) he's great at what he does. Yes it's true we need more run, better handball receive types... but that doesn't mean the extractors don't have a place, and Jack's one of our best.

You lost me at "Oliver is slow"

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TGR said:

Stack’s bump was absolutely brilliant, textbook, fair...
 

Stack will be the pick of the bunch.  Marlion Pickett will exist in his shadow.

 

Stack is a combo of Cyril and Byron.  He is Viney’s kryptonite.  Big wrap.

 

An MFC supporter who can’t genuinely praise the technique and effect of that bump is a one eyed subjective simpleton.

 

 

 

TiGeR 

Bumps are easy to execute the lowest form of skill needed, bumping isn't tough, getting straight up after a big hit, like Viney did after that bump, now that's tough!!!, take your Viney hate away, praise Viney for getting straight up,  not  the coward who bumps a bloke when he's not looking

Edited by don't make me angry
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2020 at 1:05 AM, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

People are really shook up by this Roar article.  A fully fit Jack Viney is a gun.  

He’s done a full pre-season for the first time in years and was excellent against Adelaide in the one match we’ve played.  A player like Viney in the midfield rotation is a strength of our list, not a liability. 

I see Viney as a big game player. Look at when he came back early from his foot  injury in 2017 and tore apart WCE, our finals campaign in 2018. I see him playing a dozen or so solid games, a few quieter ones and around five critical, hard matches where he absolutely rips the game open. We've got the talent where we don't need Jack in top gear all of the time, but able to up his beastmode when needed in a way that turns games.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Big game AFL footy is still, at heart, a battle of competitive beasts. Few of those beasts are as competitive as our Jack. Writing him off through one-dimensionality or the Stack bump reveals more about the lack of footy smarts of the writer than it does about Jack.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Jesus some on here have short memories. Viney brings the type of hardness that we were begging for during our decade in the wilderness. 

Is he a complete midfielder? Of course not, but very, very few players are. Is a fit Jack Viney a key member of our best 22? Absolutely, and to suggest that he won't be in the near future is utter crazy talk. He's not a great kick, but neither is Dangerfield and he goes alright. 

Viney's lateral movement is actually pretty good IMO. Check out the second passage of play from the 2018 semi. Also note who made the desperate futile chase to pressure Gunston's kick in the next passage. Successful finals teams are built around players like Viney. 

 

don't you just love the roar of the crowd! gives you goose bumps

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plenty other others would have to go out before Jack was on the chopping block, he might not be the star we hopped but as a 3rd or 4th mid I think he can't be beat. Just needs to play within himself when it comes to kicking.

Just to add Jones is 1 year from retirement and Brayshaw one knock away to. We don't have the depth people think

Edited by Garbo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, TGR said:

Stack’s bump was absolutely brilliant, textbook, fair...
 

 

You forget to add Cowardly, as are many 'famous' hits in AFL. e.g. Mark Yates on Brereton. 

In years to come when more is known about concussion long term,  your attitude will be ranked with those climate change deniers and others of similiar ilk.,

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

You forget to add Cowardly, as are many 'famous' hits in AFL. e.g. Mark Yates on Brereton. 

In years to come when more is known about concussion long term,  your attitude will be ranked with those climate change deniers and others of similiar ilk.,

Actually I don’t have much of an issue with Stacks bump on Viney. It wasn’t aimed at knocking Jacks head off, and he just crunched him in the right spot for maximum effect. 

But I tell you what it won’t surprise me if Jack has pencilled the Tigers game in as a statement for himself. The physical pain would’ve sucked, but I reckon he’ll be keen to give one back. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just now, Pates said:

Actually I don’t have much of an issue with Stacks bump on Viney. It wasn’t aimed at knocking Jacks head off, and he just crunched him in the right spot for maximum effect. 

But I tell you what it won’t surprise me if Jack has pencilled the Tigers game in as a statement for himself. The physical pain would’ve sucked, but I reckon he’ll be keen to give one back. 

Agree. I just felt TGR needed to fully describe the act, rather than tell us how good Stack is.  Viney getting up off the canvas was more meaningful to me character-wise than taking cheap shots like Stack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

You forget to add Cowardly, as are many 'famous' hits in AFL. e.g. Mark Yates on Brereton. 

In years to come when more is known about concussion long term,  your attitude will be ranked with those climate change deniers and others of similiar ilk.,

Why was it cowardly when it was a body on body bump? That Jack's shoulder was injured shows it wasn't head high. 

If you're saying it was cowardly because Jack didn't see it coming, then there's the given that Australian Rules is a 360 deg sport where you have to expect the unexpected. In fact the vision shows him with the ball turning and getting a good look at Stack before the bump. May well say more about Viney's inability to react quick enough. It was perfectly fair.

The Brereton hit was well off the ball and not comparable. 

Not that I want to defend a Richmond supporter, but the bit about concussion is irrelevant to this.

 

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2020 at 4:13 PM, Lord Nev said:

The kick retention stat is retaining possession from a kick inside 50m.

So it measures if a kick inside 50 is going to one of our own players or not.

I suspect it would also include balls coming into 50 and being locked in as a stoppage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jack is very well respected by the club and that's why he's Vice Captain, he understands and accepts what has happened and as a young player it will give him the opportunity to hone his skill and maybe in a few years time he will have another shot at it.

The club settled on a two man leadership system rather than a large leadership group because it allows the other players to step up and doesn't mean they are in some sort of pecking order, meaning that leaders 5 and 6 are really peripheral anyway. If there is a need to replace either or both of the leaders in case of injury, that will be looked at if and when needed.

There may be some on here that have a low opinion of Jack's ability but rest assured they don't speak on behalf of the club.

 

Edited by Dante
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dante said:

Jack is very well respected by the club and that's why he's Vice Captain, he understands and accepts what has happened and as a young player it will give him the opportunity to hone his skill and maybe in a few years time he will have another shot at it.

The club settled on a two man leadership system rather than a large leadership group because it allows the other players to step up and doesn't mean they are in some sort of pecking order, meaning that leaders 5 and 6 are really peripheral anyway. If there is a need to replace either or both of the leaders in case of injury, that will be looked at if and when needed.

There may be some on here that have a low opinion of Jack's ability but rest assured they don

 

Is don, is good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DAISY DOES IT by Whispering Jack

    The Gold Coast has been treated to a feast of womens football over the past couple of days. On Friday night, the Brisbane Lions claimed flag favouritism when they knocked the Adelaide Crows off their second placed perch at Metricon Stadium. Then on Saturday evening at the same venue, the Melbourne Demons consolidated their hold on that vacated second spot when, they ruthlessly smashed a finals contender in consecutive weeks, this time the home town favourites, the Suns.    It was a case

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...