Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

POSTGAME: PM02 vs Kangaroos


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

Just a few notes, James Munro did not look out of place at all. A few hard tackles here and there. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we considered him for mid year draft, especially with KK and Nietshke on the long term injury list. Mitch Lewis was another who performed well for is from a Casey perspective.

Dom Tyson is an absolute shadow of himself. Im sorry to say but he hasn't improved at all. I always like domma and wanted him to kick on at North, but he's depth for them and if he is not playing in the center circle then he's useless elsewhere. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I was also at the game. 

- Fritsch was probably melbourne's best despite missing some gettable goals. I don't care how depleted we were last season, Goodwin's decision  to play him in the backline was a major reason why I question Goodwin's understanding of the game. 
- Brayshaw was mostly unsighted in the first half so I would've liked to see him influence the game more despite him not playing in the middle.
- Melksham looked good.
- Marty Hore did one really courageous ground ball get that made me immediately want him in the round 1 side. 
-  Lockhart needs to play round 1. He could really become a good player.
-  I'm not really a bedford fan. Missed some easy opportunities. 
- Pickett did some nice things but I haven't really seen much mongrel in him like was advertised. i'm sure he'll come out of his shell but Spargo is the better player at the moment.
- James Jordon tackles a lot harder than I thought he did. Much more than an outside mid.
- Bradtke is probably worse than Brendan Van Sheik.
-  Oscar McDonald is still oscar McDonald regardless how long you lock him in the weights room. He's just reactionary to his opponents in all contests. He needs to back himself more.
-   I was the most pleased with Tom Sparrow. He has a go. His kicking isn't great but he is just a well rounded player that has Brayshaw tendencies. Could have a big year if given opportunity. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Fritsch was probably melbourne's best despite missing some gettable goals. I don't care how depleted we were last season, Goodwin's decision  to play him in the backline was a major reason why I question Goodwin's understanding of the game.

I have sent this to Glen Bartlett to instill  you as senior coach before round one, sweet dreams

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I was also at the game. 

- Fritsch was probably melbourne's best despite missing some gettable goals. I don't care how depleted we were last season, Goodwin's decision  to play him in the backline was a major reason why I question Goodwin's understanding of the game. 
- Brayshaw was mostly unsighted in the first half so I would've liked to see him influence the game more despite him not playing in the middle.
- Melksham looked good.
- Marty Hore did one really courageous ground ball get that made me immediately want him in the round 1 side. 
-  Lockhart needs to play round 1. He could really become a good player.
-  I'm not really a bedford fan. Missed some easy opportunities. 
- Pickett did some nice things but I haven't really seen much mongrel in him like was advertised. i'm sure he'll come out of his shell but Spargo is the better player at the moment.
- James Jordon tackles a lot harder than I thought he did. Much more than an outside mid.
- Bradtke is probably worse than Brendan Van Sheik.
-  Oscar McDonald is still oscar McDonald regardless how long you lock him in the weights room. He's just reactionary to his opponents in all contests. He needs to back himself more.
-   I was the most pleased with Tom Sparrow. He has a go. His kicking isn't great but he is just a well rounded player that has Brayshaw tendencies. Could have a big year if given opportunity. 

Arden St, facing the green bit?

Jordon and Sparrow are both being coached to be inside mids, with Jordon able to play half back and Sparrow able to go forward

I kept swapping ends, the forward pressure was excellent and agressive all day led by Pickett,  Bedford and Spargo

Oscar was stopped by the police on the way home, they said can you identify yourself, he looked in the rear vision mirror and said 'Yes, that's me'

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Aside from what occurs in terms of the playing side in practice matches, we’re always concerned that there are no injuries and it appears we’ve come out unscathed in that regard. This is where the list was at over this weekend ~

Oskar Baker — played v N Melbourne 
Toby Bedford — played v N Melbourne
Harley Bennell — injured 
Austin Bradtke — played v N Melbourne
1. Angus Brayshaw — played v N Melbourne
Mitch Brown —  played v N Melbourne
Kade Chandler — injured
Kyle Dunkley — injured
2. Bayley Fritsch — played v N Melbourne
3. Max Gawn — injured 

Mitch Hannan — injured 
4. James Harmes — rested
5. Michael Hibberd — rested

Marty Hore — played v N Melbourne
Jayden Hunt —  played v N Melbourne
Luke Jackson — rested
6. Neville Jetta — played in All Star game
7. Nathan Jones — injured/rested 

James Jordan — played v N Melbourne
Kade Kolodjiashnij — injured 
8. Ed Langdon — rested
9. Jake Lever — rested

Jay Lockhart — played v N Melbourne
10. Oscar McDonald —  played v N Melbourne
11. Tom McDonald — rested
12. Steven May — injured 
13. Jake Melksham — played v N Melbourne

Alex Neal-Bullen — rested 
Aaron Nietschke — injured 
14. Clayton Oliver — rested
15. Christian Petracca — rested

Harrison Petty — injured 
Kysaiah Pickett —  played v N Melbourne
Braydon Preuss — injured 
Trent Rivers — played v N Melbourne
16. Christian Salem — rested
Joel Smith — injured
17. Charlie Spargo —  played v N Melbourne
Tom Sparrow — played v N Melbourne
18. Adam Tomlinson — played v N Melbourne
19. Aaron vandenBerg — rested

20. Jack Viney — rested
Corey Wagner  —  played v N Melbourne
Josh Wagner — played v N Melbourne
21. Sam Weideman  — rested 

We saw a return of two “best 22” players in Angus Brayshaw and Bayley Fritsch who missed MS01 leaving only Max Gawn and Steven May from that category still out. With Max due to make a possible return in MS02, that leaves May as our only major injury concern - a far cry from the situation in 2019. I’ve heard conflicting reports on May’s recovery but suggest that he will be one to watch over the coming few weeks. 

Other players that we should be watching on the score of injuries are Dunkley, Petty and Smith. How far away from playing are they?
 

I reckon our 22 is almost a lock (in red above), with only 2 of the 21 listed above "debatable in Spargo and OMac, both of which would suit us well out West. So the competition is really for 1-3 spots in our Round 1 22.

Good spot to be in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The set shot goal kicking... would like to think it's an aberration but it happens too often.

A game day poster said there was no wind(mind you I could not tell on the Delhi to Amritsar express).

Would like to think that every kick is analyzed and that players are walked through it again. Especially those considered to have a degree of difficulty of less than 50%.

Not sure what if anything can be done about the kicks from within play but all in all there was probably 5-6 goals missing from that score.

Great to hear that Spargo and the other players had a good game.

Mitch Brown surprises me. Weideman has a real competitor it seems.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Just a few notes, James Munro did not look out of place at all. A few hard tackles here and there. I wouldn't be disappointed at all if we considered him for mid year draft, especially with KK and Nietshke on the long term injury list. Mitch Lewis was another who performed well for is from a Casey perspective.

Dom Tyson is an absolute shadow of himself. Im sorry to say but he hasn't improved at all. I always like domma and wanted him to kick on at North, but he's depth for them and if he is not playing in the center circle then he's useless elsewhere. 

Haven’t watched the replay, but they both looked impressive at boundary level. Good depth, and quite unfortunately, better options than KK and Nietshke. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The set shot goal kicking... would like to think it's an aberration but it happens too often.

A game day poster said there was no wind(mind you I could not tell on the Delhi to Amritsar express).

Would like to think that every kick is analyzed and that players are walked through it again. Especially those considered to have a degree of difficulty of less than 50%.

Not sure what if anything can be done about the kicks from within play but all in all there was probably 5-6 goals missing from that score.

Great to hear that Spargo and the other players had a good game.

Mitch Brown surprises me. Weideman has a real competitor it seems.

There was a definite breeze towards the north west pocket which made set shots at the City end (no idea of Arden St's ends names btw) difficult especially from outside 30. At ground level you couldn't feel it too much but the modern balls are so light that any kind of breeze impacts kicks.

The overall score line wasn't flash but I thought a fair bit of it was Bedford with some work to do on set shots and Brown just having a very off day in front of goal.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

From AFL.com

At one stage, after a late Tarrant spoil on Bayley Fritsch – another standout in his first pre-season hitout – Pickett physically remonstrated with the North Melbourne backman.

Love it!

Jeffy Farmer Junior!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FarNorthernD said:

Just watched the replay and think in Trent Rivers I may have found a new favourite player for the next decade or so. Booming kick to advantage, solid build and just looks a natural footballer 

Agree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think North rely on their best players, the issue is that they are senior.  Results need to come now.

It would have been doubly difficult for North fans "death-riding" our season for an early pick. Either we're better than they thought or their future is horrible.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve just watched the 4th quarter again especially for Tom McDonalds excellent comments. Quite insightful they were. He’s a pretty smart bloke! Nice to hear his thoughts on Max as captain and the whole leadership affair.

Edited by Dee Dee
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/28/2020 at 3:55 PM, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Do we ignore the Essendon scratch match because it doesn't suit the upbeat narrative?

You’re absolutely right. And we should start referencing Casey games when measuring the success of Melbourne’s senior team...  🤦🏼‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

I think North rely on their best players, the issue is that they are senior.  Results need to come now.

It would have been doubly difficult for North fans "death-riding" our season for an early pick. Either we're better than they thought or their future is horrible.

They are heavily reliant on Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins and Brown but most teams rely on their best players. They've drafted very well the last few years and Tarran Thomas (future star), Simpkin and Larkey are very good young players too. They just have a decent sized gap in their list in the mid 20's guys. I've heard a big reason Brad Scott walked away so early was that he wanted to go embark on a proper rebuild around their talented young guys but the powers that be said no.

They will be death riding us all year for sure, but the good part of that trade is at least we have our destiny in our own hands. If we are rubbish then handing over a high pick will be just one of many problems!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dee Dee said:

I’ve just watched the 4th quarter again especially for Tom McDonalds excellent comments. Quite insightful they were. He’s a pretty smart bloke! Nice to hear his thoughts on Max as captain and the whole leadership affair.

Also got a chuckle when he mentioned Trac saying he is a leader (as all are leaders now) and wants to get into the leadership meetings!!. I have a very good vibe about this year. They all seem to be on the one page, Trac signing on for another 2 years, less injuries and all seem to be getting on with each other and enjoying the pre season. Trust this continues and I reckon we might just surprise a few people this season.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Also got a chuckle when he mentioned Trac saying he is a leader (as all are leaders now) and wants to get into the leadership meetings!!. I have a very good vibe about this year. They all seem to be on the one page, Trac signing on for another 2 years, less injuries and all seem to be getting on with each other and enjoying the pre season. Trust this continues and I reckon we might just surprise a few people this season.

wasn't it salem he said said this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

wasn't it salem he said said this?

Just checked back on the replay: according to McDonald it was Petracca. Makes sense really as Salem is a wee bit more reserved while Petracca has a reputation for being a bit of a card!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    WEATHERING THE STORM by Mel Rundle

    The magic of Melbourne’s magnificent start to 2021 is beginning to wear off. In its past six matches it lost to three teams that were outside the eight, out of form —  teams which it had very little trouble bearing last year. This week, the temperature is turned up even higher with the hard fought spot in the top four at risk. The really ominous factor about the Demons’ upcoming Thursday night meeting with Port Adelaide this week is that it is due to take place at the very place where its dec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    FEE-FI-FO-FUM by George on the Outer

    “Fee-fi-fo-fum, without a Full Forward the Premiership can’t be won!” So said the GWS Giants, as they exposed Melbourne’s fatal deficiency with a nine point win at the MCG.  In past weeks Melbourne has been barely able to gloss over the lack of a serious target in front of goal, while others were able to contribute.  But in a near repeat of the game from the previous week, players running up the ground simply had no-one to kick the ball to, when all that was needed was that one tall target.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MUCH ADO ABOUT EVERYTHING by Whispering Jack

    Let's face it. We Melbourne supporters are a demanding lot. Here we are with our team on top of the ladder with a record of 12 wins and 2 losses, a decent percentage and a fair run home for a team with finals credentials. We have a fit list with lots of in form players, many of who are in contention for All Australian and other high honours, the team’s playing with purpose and cohesion and its VFL affiliate is undefeated and going gangbusters.  Still, we're all walking around with conc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...