Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coronavirus & Other Sports

Demonland

On 3/23/2020 at 6:05 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Interesting. I doubt Biden has any chance at this stage, but everything is changing so quickly 

No, But,  Biden and Sanders pushing on the healthcare ticket could do something Big.

Plenty of Americans are going to be sick,  or unemployed and sick,  or lose loved ones.  They might well find some empathy and sense in their hearts,  for a decent equal healthcare system  for all citizens.

9 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Don't think you are going to win too many friends with that post.

Why would he change his “modus operandi” now?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Some doctors in the US are already successfully treating corona virus patients.  This will all be over soon.

Lets get back to work , life and to footy.   Lockdown is ridiculous.

Comedy gold!

32 minutes ago, faultydet said:

We will see games again this year. The financials demand it.

Simply cannot see the AFL not playing any more games.

Bold call. No one knows how this plays out. If the virus can't be contained (which current evidence suggests is likely), there is absolutely no way there will be any AFL happening this year, no matter what 'the financials' demand.

And we'll have bigger problems than a lack of footy.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Bold call. No one knows how this plays out. If the virus can't be contained (which current evidence suggests is likely), there is absolutely no way there will be any AFL happening this year, no matter what 'the financials' demand.

We already have, people are NOT ?listening. Both adults and children are out on the streets having a fun time.

The ice cream truck even came out this after noon.

People are stupid!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

I'm confident we will see footy, albeit at a lightning-premiership pace.

No government will keep the country shut down for more than a few months.

• Shocked 1

20 hours ago, deebug said:

We already have, people are NOT ?listening. Both adults and children are out on the streets having a fun time.

The ice cream truck even came out this after noon.

People are stupid!!!!!

Know what I find interesting 

The fact that we have all been happy to share the flu with our families for the past 200 years, with never a word about mass hibernation, even though it kills scores of vulnerable people every year, and will again this winter..

This is not the worst virus that has ever hit the world, so what changed?

And before you snap, I am asking a serious question, and not downplaying the need to stay off the streets right now, as I am following the current guidelines.

Edited by Grapeviney
Don't do that
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Know what I find interesting about this Chinese virus?

The fact that we have all been happy to share the flu with our families for the past 200 years, with never a word about mass hibernation, even though it kills score of vulnerable people every year, and will again this winter..

And before you snap, I am asking a serious question, and not downplaying the need to stay off the streets right now, as I am following the current guidelines.

Huge difference...

Firstly there is a vaccine for the flu, it means people won't be infected in mass numbers and there won't be the amount of carriers.

Secondly because of the mass infections there will be a high number critically ill who will need intensive care and we don't have the number of intensive care beds to cater for these numbers. It means a lot of people will die, a hell of a lot more than from the yearly flu outbreak.

People who need critical care for other matters such as heart attacks, strokes, cancer, major accidents etc will struggle to get care because the beds are being used and the hospitals are full.

Thirdly the % of people dying from this is higher than from the flu, so again the risk is a lot of deaths.

...and finally, I repeat there is no vaccine. This is a big enough reason.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, faultydet said:

The fact that we have all been happy to share the flu with our families for the past 200 years, with never a word about mass hibernation, even though it kills score of vulnerable people every year, and will again this winter..

There's a stack of info online explaining the reasons why CCOVI-19 is much worse than the flu. The fact that estimates of the number to die from it in Aus are 50k (best case) up to 150k (worst), should say it all.

I heard today from a nurse at RMH that they were briefed yesterday and told the current curve is nothing compared to what's coming, and the peak will not happen until about the beginning of June.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, faultydet said:

The fact that we have all been happy to share the flu with our families for the past 200 years, with never a word about mass hibernation, even though it kills scores of vulnerable people every year, and will again this winter..

This is new. Unknown. And it's putting a lot more people in intensive care than the flu does. Influenza mortality rate is something.like 0.1%. COVID19 is looking 10 or 20 times higher than that.

Thanks guys.

Nice to see everyone taking it as seriously as it deserves. Our seniors are counting on us.

Now we just need the rural Chinese to stop eating bats.

27 minutes ago, faultydet said:

Thanks guys.

Nice to see everyone taking it as seriously as it deserves. Our seniors are counting on us.

Now we just need the rural Chinese to stop eating bats.

Apparently this is one of the great misconceptions relating to the virus. Studies are leaning towards the possibility that a bat passed a virus on to another animal (turtle or pangolin) and from there it mutated and was passed on to humans. There is no evidence that the virus can be passed on in food.

The short story is that it’s all guess work at this stage.

Edited by hardtack

16 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Apparently this is one of the great misconceptions relating to the virus. Studies are leaning towards the possibility that a bat passed a virus on to another animal (turtle or pangolin) and from there it mutated and was passed on to humans. There is no evidence that the virus can be passed on in food.

The short story is that it’s all guess work at this stage.

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-warned-that-china-was-a-time-bomb-for-novel-coronavirus-outbreak-in-2007/

Coronaviruses are well known to undergo genetic recombination, which may lead to new genotypes and outbreaks. The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored

Still think we might have a problem.

17 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

The ignore function is wonderful at times like these. 

Get used to it.

We wont see footy for 10 weeks and this is the reason why. It's natural that people will talk about it regardless of how boring it's going to get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, faultydet said:

https://scitechdaily.com/scientists-warned-that-china-was-a-time-bomb-for-novel-coronavirus-outbreak-in-2007/

Coronaviruses are well known to undergo genetic recombination, which may lead to new genotypes and outbreaks. The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored

Still think we might have a problem.

I don’t disagree that there is a problem.

I’m just pointing to the fact that the transmission was most likely not directly from a bat and most likely not from eating something.

I think the reference there to their eating habits, is probably directed at the wet markets and the contact between different species that aren’t usually together in the wild... viruses move between species, mutate and eventually make the jump to humans.

Something definitely needs to be done about the wet markets.

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I don’t disagree that there is a problem.

I’m just pointing to the fact that the transmission was most likely directly from a bat and most likely not from eating something. 

From another very recent Telegraph U.K article

The animal source of Covid-19 has not yet been identified, but the original host is thought to be bats. Bats were not sold at the Wuhan market but may have infected live chickens or other animals sold there. 

So many conflicting stories about this thing.

• Like 1

Sorry for the off topic stuff guys.

Maybe mods can move it?

I read that AFL teams can train in small groups.

Is anyone allowed outside in Melbourne? 

Here's hoping Harley Bennell isn't one of those blokes that "can't be left alone" as described by one AFL pundit yesterday.

3 hours ago, faultydet said:

Realistically, the biggest problem with this virus that makes it worse than the regular flu is that it's more contagious.  That means that the number of people infected grows at a far faster rate.  Current estimates (last I checked) are that around 5% of people infected will need hospital care, possibly Intensive Care.  As of a few days ago we have around 2230 intensive care beds in Australia.  That means 50,000 is the magic number.  Once we get to there, people are unable to get into the care they need and they die from inability to access adequate medical care.  You will also see people being denied ICU access for other things such as Heart attacks because the spaces are all occupied with people unable to breath, thus there will be a lot of secondary fatalities not directly attributed to Corona.  The advantage of delaying measures is that it buys more time to prepare, meaning that we can create more spots for those patients and keep more of them alive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get the feeling that testing for this virus is becoming easier and we will see mass testing in the not too distant future.

I watch a few youtubers from China and the number of"nucleic acid tests" they are doing to monitor new outbreaks is phenomenal.

So would you agree to a regime that requires testing say every seven days (it's a swab stuck down the back of your throat) and in return you get a card that says you can go out and about. As I understand this is stage 2... you still have to go through the lock down process to slow the existing contagion and then you gradually let people out under the testing regime.

I left Australia on 19 January which was the weekend that the story really broke but it's now just over two months later and China is coming out the other side. (Mind you if they are lying we are in trouble). Just seems that in Oz we are more into panic than dealing with the central issue and getting a path to the other side.

Doctors are trialing an old tuberculosis vaccine which may help minimise the virus. Anyone that’s been around a long time likely has had one of these. https://www.theage.com.au/national/tuberculosis-vaccine-could-help-protect-health-workers-from-covid-19-20200326-p54e7h.html

Edited by america de cali