Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coronavirus & Other Sports

Demonland

8 hours ago, godees said:

As a health professional who has read a lot about the crisis, I have found the events in Italy terrifying. You are right that the mortality rate is low (around 1%). In Italy it’s closer to 10% because everyone has contracted the disease at once and the health system is completely overwhelmed. They don’t have the capacity to ventilate anyone older than 60. It’s nuts. 
The measures that are being taken are to prevent everyone contracting the virus at once. If we spread the process over the next couple of months we will be fine. But if everyone continues with their normal activities and spreads the disease rapidly...we could be italy #2. 
So suck it up.

Yes but big crowds where ban weeks ago in Italy and it is spreading quicker there then  everywhere else, it won't work unless everyone stays at home for months, Italy has a larger older population then Australia, Australia is more betterequipped to deal with it, if they take it too far then the damage to people's lively hoods, and mental health issues can be worse, millions of people could be out of work, homeless, 10%  dying I really  think that's a false statistic and a lie, when young people get the virus there symptoms are mild, many would not have even been tested, out of 15000 people diagnosed with the virus, 1000 of  them have died that's 5% not close to 10%, has everybody in the health professional systems been told to panic people more and make it bigger than what it is. Yes it's serious but don't make it bigger

Edited by don't make me angry

Fascinating read.... A vaccine....perhaps next year...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/15/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready-human-trials-global-immunisation

It’s for these reasons that taking a vaccine candidate all the way to regulatory approval typically takes a decade or more, and why President Trump sowed confusion when, at a meeting at the White House on 2 March, he pressed for a vaccine to be ready by the US elections in November – an impossible deadline. “Like most vaccinologists, I don’t think this vaccine will be ready before 18 months,” says Annelies Wilder-Smith, professor of emerging infectious diseases at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. That’s already extremely fast, and it assumes there will be no hitches.

1 hour ago, don't make me angry said:

Yes but big crowds where ban weeks ago in Italy and it is spreading quicker there then  everywhere else, it won't work unless everyone stays at home for months, Italy has a larger older population then Australia, Australia is more betterequipped to deal with it, if they take it too far then the damage to people's lively hoods, and mental health issues can be worse, millions of people could be out of work, homeless, 10%  dying I really  think that's a false statistic and a lie, when young people get the virus there symptoms are mild, many would not have even been tested, out of 15000 people diagnosed with the virus, 1000 of  them have died that's 5% not close to 10%, has everybody in the health professional systems been told to panic people more and make it bigger than what it is. Yes it's serious but don't make it bigger

Italy started locking down regions in late Feb after the first deaths, then banned crowds on March 4th, then lockdown on March 9. They still took a huge leap in cases and deaths every step of the way. They were chasing their tails.

Of course there's thousands of people who catch it and don't have symptoms so don't get tested but 21,157 cases and 1,441 deaths. That's 6.8% right there. Whether it's 5 or 10 it's a huge number of people.

Do you know how many ICU beds we have here? And with negative pressure ventilation to keep other safe from catching it? Ventilators and ECMO machines? There's really only about 4 public hospitals in Melbourne I'd want to be in if I needed that level of care.

If 5,000 people in Melbourne get it quickly and 5% of them need extensive treatment because they are at risk of dying then that's 250 ventilators and that's probably about us done. Full. Finished. Next person in means someone has to chosen to die. If 10,000 people in Melbourne get it we'd be lucky to do better than 100 dead, probably more.

All the issues you bring up are serious but you're pretty much advocating that we choose the Black Saturday bushfires over the recent Gippsland fires. You're saying lets have a couple of hundred people die instead of widespread economic damage. It's a terrible argument, because there's still going to be widespread economic damage. Once 200 people die everyone will know someone who knows someone and will want tougher measures and be afraid to go outside. 200 dead and no one wants to go the funerals, 1000 sick so can't go anyway, 3000 living with the sick people,  10,000 who have had contact with a sick person or a close contact to that sick person. It's better to prevent the spread and prevent as many deaths now whilst we can than wait until after the deaths.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Italy started locking down regions in late Feb after the first deaths, then banned crowds on March 4th, then lockdown on March 9. They still took a huge leap in cases and deaths every step of the way. They were chasing their tails.

Of course there's thousands of people who catch it and don't have symptoms so don't get tested but 21,157 cases and 1,441 deaths. That's 6.8% right there. Whether it's 5 or 10 it's a huge number of people.

Do you know how many ICU beds we have here? And with negative pressure ventilation to keep other safe from catching it? Ventilators and ECMO machines? There's really only about 4 public hospitals in Melbourne I'd want to be in if I needed that level of care.

If 5,000 people in Melbourne get it quickly and 5% of them need extensive treatment because they are at risk of dying then that's 250 ventilators and that's probably about us done. Full. Finished. Next person in means someone has to chosen to die. If 10,000 people in Melbourne get it we'd be lucky to do better than 100 dead, probably more.

All the issues you bring up are serious but you're pretty much advocating that we choose the Black Saturday bushfires over the recent Gippsland fires. You're saying lets have a couple of hundred people die instead of widespread economic damage. It's a terrible argument, because there's still going to be widespread economic damage. Once 200 people die everyone will know someone who knows someone and will want tougher measures and be afraid to go outside. 200 dead and no one wants to go the funerals, 1000 sick so can't go anyway, 3000 living with the sick people,  10,000 who have had contact with a sick person or a close contact to that sick person. It's better to prevent the spread and prevent as many deaths now whilst we can than wait until after the deaths.

Ok live under your rock hide, people most at risk lots of them are in nursing homes already, no need for those to go to hospital, it's serious but is been beaten up to make it bigger, why young footballer are so scared to get this virus, they won't have more then a cold, and if you get symptoms no matter how mild then yes isolate get tested, too much effort is going to people who are not at risk, this is man thinking he can control everything, stopping a big crowd here or there won't stop anything,

They already have drugs that can kill this virus, they are being held back from the public by the government, they need to use them on people with this virus now, but the government's are using this situation to see how far they can push the new world order, seeing how much control they can have on people's freedoms, lots of right wing governments with things to hide, notice how climate change is no where in the media atm, brexit nowhere to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Ok live under your rock hide, people most at risk lots of them are in nursing homes already, no need for those to go to hospital, it's serious but is been beaten up to make it bigger, why young footballer are so scared to get this virus, they won't have more then a cold, and if you get symptoms no matter how mild then yes isolate get tested, too much effort is going to people who are not at risk, this is man thinking he can control everything, stopping a big crowd here or there won't stop anything,

They already have drugs that can kill this virus, they are being held back from the public by the government, they need to use them on people with this virus now, but the government's are using this situation to see how far they can push the new world order, seeing how much control they can have on people's freedoms, lots of right wing governments with things to hide, notice how climate change is no where in the media atm, brexit nowhere to be seen.

giphy.gif

Edited by pewpewpew
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

Credulity is not a virtue.

One thing this virus has opened my eyes to is the lack of empathy a lot of people have for each other.

"Oh, it'll only kill the elderly or sick, why should my life be affected?"

Well guess what, I'm young, but I don't think like some callous [censored] some people are being. I'm not worried about myself if I get it; I know I'll be fine. I'm worried about my nana, my parents, my elderly neighbors, my co-workers; one of which has his own father who has cancer and won't survive this virus. For once would people please stop thinking about their piece of [censored] selves and look at this as a collective?

By god it infuriates me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

"More than 14,000 tests for the coronavirus have been carried out in the state, with 57 cases confirmed. Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton warned on Sunday authorities were starting to run short of testing swabs".

https://www.theage.com.au/national/premier-calls-for-us-travel-ban-warns-of-more-coronavirus-disruptions-20200315-p54a73.html

Folks need to be more aware of when to be tested.  Below is a very good guide:

Covid 19 compared to other common conditions table

Read more about how to tell the difference:  https://www.businessinsider.com.au/coronavirus-symptoms-compared-to-flu-common-cold-and-allergies-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Please pass this on so that we don't clog up emergency wards and doctor's surgeries unnecessarily.  We are going to need the testing swabs when things get bad.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Greg O’Rourke - Head of the ALeague

‘We’re looking to compress the season.’

Six rounds of football trying to be crammed into 3/4 weeks.

Guess it is easier for them at the tail end of the season

4 hours ago, AshleyH30 said:

One thing this virus has opened my eyes to is the lack of empathy a lot of people have for each other.

Well guess what, I'm young, but I don't think like some callous [censored] some people are being. I'm not worried about myself if I get it; I know I'll be fine. I'm worried about my nana, my parents, my elderly neighbors, my co-workers; one of which has his own father who has cancer and won't survive this virus. For once would people please stop thinking about their piece of [censored] selves and look at this as a collective?

By god it infuriates me.

Its good to also reflect that there are people like your good self who are more empathetic. It may not seem like it but you'e in the majority.

On a related note if age is risk factor 75% of regular demonland posters are in trouble!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AshleyH30 said:

By god it infuriates me.

Well said?

I hope your dad is going to be ok?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AshleyH30 said:

Its worse than that.  I have seen a certain political section of millennials (lets just call them SJW braindead lunatics)  actively celebrating the virus as it will 'kill off boomers'.

Ill take a boomer any day over them. Millennials are worst generation in history,

11 minutes ago, JakovichScissorKick said:

Its worse than that.  I have seen a certain political section of millennials (lets just call them SJW braindead lunatics)  actively celebrating the virus as it will 'kill off boomers'.

Ill take a boomer any day over them. Millennials are worst generation in history,

Post self quarantine... I must remind myself that if I meet any other JakovichScissorKick's  around the street,  that not ALL JakovichScissorKick's are like the one currently posting on Demonland... ;)

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Airline bans passenger for life after flying while awaiting test result

US airline JetBlue has banned a passenger for life after he flew while awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test.

The man received a positive result while in the air between New York City and Palm Beach, Florida, after not disclosing he had been tested for the virus.

This is exactly the sort of stupidity that stopping mass gatherings will help prevent, what an absolute [censored] of a person to put his travel plans above the safety and health of all those people he was travelling with, the flight crew, not to mention all the people he would have come in contact with along the way.

He should be charged with public endangerment. 

• Like 1
  • Angry 2

6 hours ago, AshleyH30 said:

By god it infuriates me.

Thank God we aren't in the UK.  Boris is going down the path of 'Herd Immunity': 

"Britain's approach has three core elements: enact social distancing measures much more slowly than other countries; shield at-risk groups like the elderly and sick from contact with the general population; and then let COVID-19 slowly sweep through everybody else.

"Herd immunity describes a scenario where so many people become resistant to a disease – either through vaccinations or exposure – that it becomes much harder for the virus to spread through the rest of the population.

In six months we will know whether that was a monumental and deadly mistake or a brave and effective decision to swim against the global tide".

Source: herd-immunity-why-britain-is-actually-letting-the-coronavirus-spread

Someone forgot to tell them there is no vaccine!!

There are parts in that article that make distressing reading, especially isolating the elderly and vulnerable and not allowing visitors to nursing homes etc.  No compassion or understanding how distressing months of isolation would be.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, Pates said:

Airline bans passenger for life after flying while awaiting test result

US airline JetBlue has banned a passenger for life after he flew while awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test.

The man received a positive result while in the air between New York City and Palm Beach, Florida, after not disclosing he had been tested for the virus.

This is exactly the sort of stupidity that stopping mass gatherings will help prevent, what an absolute [censored] of a person to put his travel plans above the safety and health of all those people he was travelling with, the flight crew, not to mention all the people he would have come in contact with along the way.

He should be charged with public endangerment. 

Give me 5 minutes with that Karmichael 

make it 10

11 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Thank God we aren't in the UK.  Boris is going down the path of 'Herd Immunity': 

"Britain's approach has three core elements: enact social distancing measures much more slowly than other countries; shield at-risk groups like the elderly and sick from contact with the general population; and then let COVID-19 slowly sweep through everybody else.

Herd immunity describes a scenario where so many people become resistant to a disease – either through vaccinations or exposure – that it becomes much harder for the virus to spread through the rest of the population.

In six months we will know whether that was a monumental and deadly mistake or a brave and effective decision to swim against the global tide".

Source: herd-immunity-why-britain-is-actually-letting-the-coronavirus-spread

Someone forgot to tell them there is no vaccine!!

There are parts in that article that make distressing reading, especially isolating the elderly and vulnerable and not allowing visitors to nursing homes etc.  No compassion or understanding how distressing months of isolation would be.

Because there is no vaccine for at least 12-18 months I can see merit in this approach. 
society has to continue otherwise we are all dead

This approach is far worse

A4235BCB-487D-4AE9-A2FA-8771E20C0585.jpeg

Edited by Sir Why You Little

^^^

@Sir Why You LittleThat headline is scaremongering.  Its that sort of stuff that induces panic.

Did you notice this part of the article, I listed:  "Boris Johnson's government is mounting the argument that the outbreak is now so far gone that it is actually desirable for people to get infected. And a lot of people – potentially up to 70 per cent of the country's population, or roughly 47 million".

Even with a miniscule death rate that will be a lot of people dying.  How a government can risk so many lives with what is a complete mystery is incomprehensible.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

RSL just announced ANZAC Day march cancelled..Shrine Dawn Service closed to the public. Small group of official guests will lay wreaths..broadcast live on TV and live streamed . Makes sense ..but it is sad news. ANZAC Day is such a part of Australia’s DNA. 6pm #7NewsMelb

• Thanks 1