Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: MS01 vs Adelaide

Deespicable

Ok, so we are now less than two weeks away from our first pre-season match v Adelaide at Casey Fields on Sat Feb 22, even less time from Friday Feb 21 when our magoos play Essendon.

So here's my first crack at our squad of 24 (I think we are allowed that many) for that game.

The following have been left out (injured) - Gawn, Brayshaw, Petty, May, Melky, Hannan and Bennell. Chandler, KK and Spargo are also out, but they would have been VFL anyway. I think Joel Smith will be ready, but he may also be ruled out on a no-risk basis. The absence of May and Joel, means Oscar will play.

I have assumed Preuss and Vanders are OK from today's training and selected them. The selectors might decide just to rush in Kossy, but I suspect they will want him to play pretty much a full game in twos to get his match fitness and confidence up.

B: Jetta O.Mac Hibberd 

HB: Harmes Lever Salem

C Langdon Oliver Tomlinson

HF: Hunt T.Mac Jones

F ANB Fritsch Jackson

Foll Preuss Trac Viney

Int (6): Lockhart, Hore, Vandenberg, Sparrow, Bedford, Weideman 

Playing v Essendon: Pickett, Dunkley, Jordan, Rivers, C.Wagner, J.Wagner, Brown, Baker, Bradtke

• Demonland changed the title to PREGAME: MS01 vs Adelaide

Just now, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I would like to see Mitch Brown play the Marsh Series.

I have a feeling we'll be relying on him for much of the season.

I reckon he is a shoe in to play the Marsh Series. We need to see how he fits into the team and these games are the perfect opportunity in close to match conditions.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I reckon he is a shoe in to play the Marsh Series. We need to see how he fits into the team and these games are the perfect opportunity in close to match conditions.

So Jackson out Brown in?

6 minutes ago, dworship said:

So Jackson out Brown in?

No idea but I believe they're more likely to go slow with Jackson's development. Having said that given that Max is out Jackson might get a call up alongside Preuss. Brown could also play backup ruck which I believe will be his secondary role in the team just like Pedersen was. Brown as relief ruck keeps TMac in the forward line full time.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Petracca

Yeah Petracca is going straight into the guts to kick off his year in the middle.

i'll go with...

B: Lockhart - O Mac - Hore
HB: Salem - Lever - Harmes
C : Langdon - Petracca - Baker
HF: Jones - Weideman - Neal-Bullen
F: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
Foll: Preuss - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Jackson - Bedford - Jordon - Sparrow - Brown - C Wagner

injured / rehabbing: May - Spargo - Brayshaw - Gawn - Kolodjashnij - Melksham - Hannan - Tomlinson - AVB - Nietschke - Petty - Chandler - Dunkley

not considered / in consideration for match 2: Hibberd - Rivers - Jetta - J Wagner - Smith (or is he still in rehab?) - Bradtke

gotta say, pretty concerning how that injury / rehab group seems to be growing with every training report...

1 hour ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

gotta say, pretty concerning how that injury / rehab group seems to be growing with every training report...

Yes indeed, they might want to lighten off the training load before the main matches start, We cannot afford a start like 2019.

Was nice and optimistic mid Jan      Not so  now

Surely Brown is a shoe in for this first match, I’d be first looking at a combination of Weids/TMac, and Brown. I worry about throwing Jacko in against the big bodies so early. 

4 minutes ago, Pates said:

Surely Brown is a shoe in for this first match, I’d be first looking at a combination of Weids/TMac, and Brown. I worry about throwing Jacko in against the big bodies so early. 

I’d give Jackson the number 1 gig vs Adelaide with heavy back up support from the tall forwards you mentioned.

The result’s irrelevant given we’ll have as many as Gawn, Melksham, Preuss, Brayshaw, May, Tomlinson, Spargo, Hannan and VDB out- so you may as well give Jackson some good experience in the ruck.

(Tomlinson and VDB may very well get selected if they’re good to go)

I’m disappointed how the pre season’s evolved given how much the club has craved an injury free summer.

B: JETTA, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

HB: SALEM, LEVER, HARMES

C : LANGDON, OLIVER, HUNT

HF: PETRACCA, T.MCDONALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: BROWN, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: JACKSON, VINEY, JONES

IC: LOCKHART, HORE, C.WAGNER, JORDON, SPARROW, PICKETT

13 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

B: JETTA, O.MCDONALD, HIBBERD

HB: SALEM, LEVER, HARMES

C : LANGDON, OLIVER, HUNT

HF: PETRACCA, T.MCDONALD, NEAL-BULLEN

F: BROWN, WEIDEMAN, FRITSCH

FOLL: JACKSON, VINEY, JONES

IC: LOCKHART, HORE, C.WAGNER, JORDON, SPARROW, PICKETT

Not a fan of Tomlinson W’DEE?

11 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i'll go with...

B: Lockhart - O Mac - Hore
HB: Salem - Lever - Harmes
C : Langdon - Petracca - Baker
HF: Jones - Weideman - Neal-Bullen
F: Fritsch - T Mac - Hunt
Foll: Bradtke - Oliver - Viney
I/c: Jackson - Bedford - Jordon - Sparrow - Brown - C Wagner

injured / rehabbing: May - Spargo - Brayshaw - Gawn - Kolodjashnij - Melksham - Hannan - Tomlinson - Preuss - AVB - Nietschke - Petty - Chandler - Dunkley

not considered / in consideration for match 2: Hibberd - Rivers - Jetta - J Wagner - Smith (or is he still in rehab?)

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

bradtke in for preuss?

tomlinson could be starting ruckman for us the way it's going

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Not a fan of Tomlinson W’DEE?

I thought Tomlinson was injured if not place him on the wing put Hunt onto the bench and drop C.Wagner.

8 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

bradtke in for preuss?

tomlinson could be starting ruckman for us the way it's going

I think your first ch-ch-change is to add Nev to the starting 18. I like Lockhart but ...

• Haha 1

Tomlinson will have been in full training for 4-5 weeks by the kick-off. I think he'll at least get half a game.

Who plays ruck could be anyone's guess - they could give Jackson, Brown, T-Mac and Tomlinson a quarter each or some combination. I think Bradtke is still a bit slight, but who knows.

14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Jackson as number 1 ruck???

May as well use Bradtke or simply no ruck.

Why not?

Jackson is a player on our list and is eligible to play seniors and was the number 1 ruck for WA last year.

He can receive some solid back up by the tall forwards but I don't see an issue with him being the number 1 ruck in a mid Feb game.

Bit over a week to go before we get to see some 'competitive' footy.

What type of team do we go with in this first hitout against the Crows? We do have 2 Marsh series games and 2 practice matches so there is plenty of opportunities to see who is up and about. We can use an extended bench in these matches.

To my mind we need to get a look at the defence and the attack, both of these were cut up with injury last season and we need to see what is in the cupboard. 

In defence I would give Lever and OMac a run together. I think they will be very conservative with May and make sure he is 100% before giving him a run. Jetta and Hibberd I would also have back there. neither of them had good seasons last year and, although they have been training well by all reports, I would give them an early run to see where they are. Hbf will have a few rotating through there but I think Hunt might like the run and I would like to see Rivers get a taste. See how he handles the pace. To cover the talls in defence I would also have Tomlinson and Brown in the team. Hore to be on the bench to get a run and as cover.

Our attacking options need a bit of time playing together so I would look at TMac, Wied, Fritsch and Petracca as a core. Oetracca can rotate into the midfieldand Fritsch to a wing. Given the injuries to Max and BP I would give Jackson a run as well. He might share ruck with Tomlinson and Brown with Tmac rucking in the forward 50. Melksham to get a run as well. 

Midfield to have a strong core group of Oliver, Viney and Harmes with Tomlinson and Langdon on the wings. Salem to cover a run in the middle and  HBF. Jordan, Sparrow, NB and Pickett to get runs as well.

FB:    Jetta   OMac   Hibberd

HB:   Hunt   Lever   Rivers

C    Tomlinson   Oliver   Langdon

HF    Jackson   Wied   Melksham

F    Petracca   TMac   Fritsch

Fol Brown   Viney   Harmes

Bench   Salem,   Jordan   Sparrow   Hore   Pickett   ANB