Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

To Hell & Back Episode 1

Demonland

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Not just that; many had already decided how they felt about it before they watched it. Which comes back to @ProDee’s point about watching stuff without expectations.

For some silly reason my only issue going in was the Title. In fact I still think a more accurate but certainly less catchy and hashtaggable title would be The Road Back from Hell or simply The Road Back ...

No matter what the actual meaning of the Title is and refers to it will always be misconstrued to us prematurely coming back and will be used as a weapon to ridicule and judge the team like the cancelled preseason camp would have been had we failed to make the finals that year.

The truth will be lost in the narrative that those that wan't to bring us down want to advance. Sometimes those inside the nest are the biggest culprits.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Demonland said:

For some silly reason my only issue going in was the Title. In fact I still think a more accurate but certainly less catchy and hashtaggable title would be The Road Back from Hell or simply The Road Back ...

No matter what the actual meaning of the Title is and refers to it will always be misconstrued to us prematurely coming back and will be used as a weapon to ridicule and judge the team like the cancelled preseason camp would have been had we failed to make the finals that year.

The truth will be lost in the narrative that those that wan't to bring us down want to advance. Sometimes those inside the nest are the biggest culprits.

Well said Andy. My thoughts entirely. 

16 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Agreed with this. The doco was fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable and I’ll never complain about getting a sneak peek behind club walls.

The title is my only minor beef. It can be easily misconstrued (and has been). Other than that, play on.

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Well said Andy. My thoughts entirely. 

Just now, P-man said:

Agreed with this. The doco was fine. Nothing mind blowing but enjoyable and I’ll never complain about getting a sneak peek behind club walls.

The title is my only minor beef. It can be easily misconstrued (and has been). Other than that, play on.

I'm not advocating that this documentary not have been made. I love peeks behind the curtain. I love seeing the stuff we aren't privy to. We can get down to training or read training reports but rarely do we get a glimpse into the gym or private sessions and we never really get the team meetings except for  the occasional jumper presentation or rookie getting the call up stuff.

I guess I was expecting the series to be slow mos of training set to the Rocky IV soundtrack and I wasn't expecting to roll a tear at Jonesy stroking his dogs head.

• Like 1

Just now, Demonland said:

I'm not advocating that this documentary not have been made. I love peeks behind the curtain. I love seeing the stuff we aren't privy to. We can get down to training or read training reports but rarely do we get a glimpse into the gym or private sessions and we never really get the team meetings except for  the occasional jumper presentation or rookie getting the call up stuff.

I guess I was expecting the series to be slow mos of training set to the Rocky IV soundtrack and I wasn't expecting to roll a tear at Jonesy stroking his dogs head.

The doco is fine. But the name insinuates we are further down the line. That is my only bone of contention. 
it’s on youtube for all to see. 
now maybe that will spur the club to higher standards. 
We wait to see...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The doco is fine. But the name insinuates we are further down the line. That is my only bone of contention. 

You assume that the title refers to team performance.  I think it probably refers to the players (and Club's) feelings and mindset indicating that whilst they were in hell last year, and understandably so, this year they have done the work and are fit and feel confident they can perform, hence "back".

Of course I might be wrong, but so might you, the difference being you've gone off hald cocked without knowing the facts, most haven't.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

You assume that the title refers to team performance.  I think it probably refers to the players (and Club's) feelings and mindset indicating that whilst they were in hell last year, and understandably so, this year they have done the work and are fit and feel confident they can perform, hence "back".

Of course I might be wrong, but so might you, the difference being you've gone off hald cocked without knowing the facts, most haven't.

It’s all about Team Performance 

Redemption is why it was made. 

i only have an issue with the title, if you call that “going off half cocked” that is entirely up to you

18 hours ago, P-man said:

On the title as i have previously posted i wonder if the wording was a deliberate choice to create some of the confected huff puffery that played out on SEN. Trolling if you will. #anynewsisgoodnews

The other day i was driving at around 3pm and listening to SEN (which i never usually listen to during the day as i'm at work). I'm not sure who was/is on but he was banging on about the doc and in particular the title. He then played the cornes palaver in full, some more comments from him and then played Garry Lyon's response from the day after Cornes (in short pull your head in ****knuckle). And finished with some more of his own comments.

About 10 minutes of free publicity for an in house video that had yet to be aired. In addition to all of the previous on air discussion and social media. Gold

I listen to RSN sports breakfast and the they were all talking it up this morning. They may not have even known about if not for cornes' comments. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, binman said:

On the title as i have previously posted i wonder if the wording was a deliberate choice to create some of the confected huff puffery that played out on SEN. Trolling if you will. #anynewsisgoodnews

The other day i was driving at around 3pm and listening to SEN (which i never usually listen to during the day as i'm at work). I'm not sure who was/is on but he was banging on about the doc and in particular the title. He then played the cornes palaver in full, some more comments from him and then played Garry Lyon's response from the day after Cornes (in short pull your head in ****knuckle). And finished with some more of his own comments.

About 10 minutes of free publicity for an in house video that had yet to be aired. In addition to all of the previous on air discussion and social media. Gold

I listen to RSN sports breakfast and the they were all talking it up this morning. They may not have even known about if not for cornes' comments. 

Certainly possible. I’m all for playing commentators like Cornes like a fiddle.

I’d like to think a lot of eyes will be the club this year regardless, but the level of media attention given to the disaster that was last season barely registered above passing interest. Anything we can do to get a bit of traction is worthwhile.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

Geez Louise... there's a lot more to worry about than the title of a promo video

True.  Anyway the title is spot on if you interpret it correctly:

To Hell =1964. (after all where else are Demons happy but in hell?)

And Back = the years since then, not in hell.  

When we win the flag it will be To Hell and Back to Hell at Last.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Jones summed up my feelings about 2019, not surprised he lost his passion during it.

Worst season in living memory, anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Living memory is a long time CB. I can remember a couple in the last decade that were worse.

• Like 2

I am telling you lot now we will fly up  the ladder,  nothing is more sure. At the end of 2016 every body at Richmond were saying how close they were to a flag, every body was laughing at them, me include.

Quite often clubs know where there at, whether they have a good great or bad year, where their the season went right or wrong. The last people to know where a team is at are media people like Kane Cornes.

We will fly up the ladder. I am not scared to put that out there and nor should the club, buckle up shut up and enjoy the ride MFCSS members.

• Like 5

On 2/9/2020 at 7:24 PM, Panamapapers said:

Cringeworthy, hear it all before anecdotes. Can't imagine hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong doing this stuff. Still expect a bottom 4 finish

Within the next 3-5 years every club will be doing something similar

Seriously anyone who complains after watching that will just complain about anything.

• Like 5

The title is setting up the theme of the season for us. Whether it comes to fruition or not will play out in time but it's nothing more than a marketing tool. If we have another crap season I have a suspicion the title of a preseason promo series will be the least of our problems

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Geez Louise... there's a lot more to worry about than the title of a promo video

Exactly right. I'm worrying about how long its going to take my beers in the freezer to get a drinkable cold as we speak. It's been an enternity 

A friendly reminder to my fellow Dees supporters: you're not responsible for the club's failures over the past sixty-five years. 

By some random quirk of fate, you support a team which has had limited modern success - due in part to many other twists of fate. 

Although I'm sure that it has been disappointing, that lack of success is not your personal lack of success. 

The majority of you probably chose the MFC when you were innocent children, many without having had any actual choice. 

I'm bewildered that so many of you seem so sensitive to social ribbing or criticism from the idiotic media. 

Your Collingwood mate wants to mock you for Melbourne's performance? Good stuff mate, well done for having watched a TV. 

Who cares what we title a documentary. It matters not one bit in the scheme of things, and makes absolutely no difference. 

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Thanks Thelma.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Demonland said:

Same, I'm actually quite happy they're providing a behind the scenes look at the pre-season. For one it goes against the narrative of those who think they don't care about the season we had. But if nothing else it shows you the level of preparation they've been putting in. I'm really looking forward to next episode with Bennell being given his opportunity by the club.

Like you my only issue is the title, and perhaps the narrator. I feel like the story could've been told by captions and the players/coaches talking us through what was happening.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, Moonshadow said:

True. We should get back to life or death issues of global significance like whether Oscar is best 22 and the state of Harley Bennell’s calves.

I enjoyed Episode 1 and look forward to the next installments. 

Will be interested to see how they carry the structure forward. Set a scene in the first section, get into a bit of detail and then zone in on an individual. Start with a veteran (Jones), an established upper echelon player ( TMac/Gawn/Nev), potential star (Oliver/Petracca/Viney), a young player yet to establish themselves (Baker/Bedford/Sparrow) and a draftee (Jackson/Kossie/Rivers).

You get my drift.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:54 PM, Moonshadow said:

On the one hand that is absolutely true, on the other, a lot of supporters are on a hair-trigger thanks to last year and are very unreceptive to any platitudes from the club. Especially from the marketing department. 

Anyway, sorry to bring up an old comment. It is just a silly title, but it is also telling of how on-edge and simultaneously worn out some of the supporters are that they view it simply as a poorly thought-through jinx.