Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Training Ground?


Romey
 Share


Recommended Posts

Just now, george_on_the_outer said:

Not enough room to build indoor facilities, gyms, pools, video rooms, meeting rooms etc that are needed today.  And then build somewhere for the administration and football departments. 

Of course there is room. You just need to be creative. Above and Below Ground 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Of course there is room. You just need to be creative. Above and Below Ground 

 

If we were creative we would have an approved plan by now. The government is a handy excuse for no action. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Not enough room to build indoor facilities, gyms, pools, video rooms, meeting rooms etc that are needed today.  And then somewhere for the administration and football departments. 

George having a home as been a fail for numerous boards over 40 years and I can see nothing about the current one that suggests there will be any change any time soon.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We need to build Facilities within the Great Southern Stand upgrade 

If we don’t get in there. It won’t happen 

The underground basilica... I like it

Virtual windows

City of the future... (might get funding)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We need to build Facilities within the Great Southern Stand upgrade 

If we don’t get in there. It won’t happen 

Then construct a subway walkway to Gosch's Paddock and we are away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2022 at 4:12 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Watch Hawthorn attempt to own the peninsula and set up a Geelong east set up out of Dingley with players encouraged to move down the coast.

Not impossible from Casey but it’s actually further from Mornington than Dingley is. The roads are a mess. Public transport is non existent. The community has little to no interest in afl footy. Little interest in anything but kfc, long commutes in mid sized SUV’s and roundabouts.

In fact I’ll even go ahead and say all the suburbs out there shouldn’t exist. They are future slums way way too far from Melbourne and not at all connected with a satellite city. The Casey fields precinct is lipstick on a pig. One big collection of sporting facilities because they can’t get developers to actually spread them throughout these awful excuses for suburbs. And the community doesn’t use them enough to justify them so they’re all rented out to elite sporting clubs.

The entire area is a shrine to abysmal urban planning and development, corruption and greed.

Peninsula Link is right on the door step of Dingley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, CYB said:

Peninsula Link is right on the door step of Dingley. 

That’s my point, from Dingley the Hawks can own the Peninsula, I bet they’re going to try. There will probably be a short bus straight to the Kennedy centre from the suburban rail loop if/when it’s built too.

Meanwhile Casey is much further from Melbourne, further from anywhere desirable and the cross roads back to non Hastings part of the peninsula are a mess, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I no longer care about MCG precinct, but the facility had to be in the inner city, in an area that is accessible by public transport. Our AFLW team play in front of 2 dogs and cat out at Casey. Look at Punt Road and wht it offers VFL and AFLW supporters. Look at Collingwood and the crowds they pull into Vic Park. I could keep going. We are missing opportunities for growth and exposure. The game will NOT grow in Casey, now will our club. With Melbourne City FC there now, we are in a bad spot

KITP 

You may want  to check the current crowds in AFLW snd it's  all about what  the crowd looks like on the screen! 

Casey is on par with Swinburne Centre ( the day we played the VFL Premiership was down as it clashed and was wet)  Vic Park are down around 1, 500 this year so location is not a big issue when you talk about crowds below 2,000.

For a family it's a great atmosphere st a smaller Community Ovsl. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think what annoys me the most is that other AFL clubs seem to get training ground and facility upgrades and the Melbourne Football Club is basically ignored.

There is the falsehood that we are a wealthy club when we actually are not. In fact, we probably haven't been since the early 1960s when we were aligned with the MCC.

I guess we just gotta keep begging and to be patient I guess? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I Want More GIF

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am firmly of the belief tht we just need to secure something anywhere accessible in the inner Melbourne region. Casey is not accessible. Plain and simple. It alienates too many fans. The AFLW get stuff all crowd, because it simply is too much effort. If you want to create club connection, there needs to be accessibility for fans. That will never be found at Casey. I look at Richmond, Dogs, Pies (double dippers), Carlton Saints and even North Melbourne, and they all have great community engagement, both in-season and in the off season. For as long as we are at Casey, we will never have that. 
 

IMO there are two spots left that suit our needs. The Burnley Oval, known as Kevin Bartlett Oval and The Brunswick Street Oval. It’s time we settle on a site like this and get talking to the government. My preference would be Burnley. It’s ready for development. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

I am firmly of the belief tht we just need to secure something anywhere accessible in the inner Melbourne region. Casey is not accessible. Plain and simple. It alienates too many fans. The AFLW get stuff all crowd, because it simply is too much effort. If you want to create club connection, there needs to be accessibility for fans. That will never be found at Casey. I look at Richmond, Dogs, Pies (double dippers), Carlton Saints and even North Melbourne, and they all have great community engagement, both in-season and in the off season. For as long as we are at Casey, we will never have that. 
 

IMO there are two spots left that suit our needs. The Burnley Oval, known as Kevin Bartlett Oval and The Brunswick Street Oval. It’s time we settle on a site like this and get talking to the government. My preference would be Burnley. It’s ready for development. 

Neither site is big enough to fit a G size ground and training facilities etc. On top of that the council does not want development of the Fitzroy site. It is now community open space. Neither will every be occupied by the MFC. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, old dee said:

Neither site is big enough to fit a G size ground and training facilities etc. On top of that the council does not want development of the Fitzroy site. It is now community open space. Neither will every be occupied by the MFC. 

Kevin Bartlett Oval is in the middle of a massive green space park. Why could it not be expanded to MCG size?

Edited by Kick_It_To_Pickett
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Kevin Bartlett Oval is in the middle of a massive green space park. Why could it not be expanded to MCG size?

Off leash dog park and "the Corroboree Tree" in the immediate environs plus being in the City of Yarra

Worth a look though

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Kevin Bartlett Oval is in the middle of a massive green space park. Why could it not be expanded to MCG size?

Back in the PJ times he said it was investigated and not big enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, old dee said:

Back in the PJ times he said it was investigated and not big enough.

Then get back to the Gosch's idea and get a small facility built on that area of 'dead-space' opposite the exit ramp. Gosch's is a fine facility and ground for training. It has been upgraded and resurfaced, so there is nothing wrong with the size, or surface, of the ground. Surely something can be built around that to add some identity to the place. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Then get back to the Gosch's idea and get a small facility built on that area of 'dead-space' opposite the exit ramp. Gosch's is a fine facility and ground for training. It has been upgraded and resurfaced, so there is nothing wrong with the size, or surface, of the ground. Surely something can be built around that to add some identity to the place. 

And that is exactly what the current Board have been promising for years, but still nothing to show for it. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Just been reading with jealous eyes what the Brisbane Lions are getting built for both their AFL and AFLW teams at their new Springfield training facility.

Here is the link to the article from a few months ago: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-10/brisbane-lions-new-facility-almost-complete-springfield/101050930

This is definitely something the Demons should look to get done at Gosch's Paddock.

Anyway, we will just have to continue to be patient and keep bugging both the State and Federal Governments for funding. Unless, someone knows an extremely generous billionaire who has a soft spot for the Melbourne Football Club? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Just been reading with jealous eyes what the Brisbane Lions are getting built for both their AFL and AFLW teams at their new Springfield training facility.

Here is the link to the article from a few months ago: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-10/brisbane-lions-new-facility-almost-complete-springfield/101050930

This is definitely something the Demons should look to get done at Gosch's Paddock.

Anyway, we will just have to continue to be patient and keep bugging both the State and Federal Governments for funding. Unless, someone knows an extremely generous billionaire who has a soft spot for the Melbourne Football Club? 

I was told by someone last Friday night that nothing will happen to facilitate approval of funding for a "home" for the MFC until after the election. I was also told that they are looking at a second site (apart from the AAMI site). 

The other problem that we have with finding the funds for a base is that Casey does not have suitable facilities for AFLW teams which will mean that we have to find funds to upgrade the current facilities (I presume with partial or full (Not sure) funding from Casey which in turn may come from the Vic Gov) and also have the ability to fund the construction of a base (with the assistance of the Victorian Gov.). I am not sure how the latest upgrade to Casey was funded.

From what I can gather there is a lot going on behind the scene which until something is concrete will not be divulged by the Club. No use spruiking something and it then fall over. We will end up looking like Essendon.🤮

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 11:42 PM, DeeSpencer said:

 the cross roads back to non Hastings part of the peninsula are a mess, 

They're a death trap for the uninitiated IMV.  Some of the pot holes ...wow!

 

On 10/5/2022 at 8:25 AM, layzie said:

I do agree Casey is better than nothing at all, a lot better in fact. 

Casey is better than nothing but i wouldn't say a lot better.  It's a massive blow hole as well.  Very difficult place to learn skills on i would reckon.  Reminds me a bit of willy at times when it blows a gale (which is alot of the time!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 9:09 PM, old dee said:

There is a easy fix to all our discussion here. Tell us what is happening MFC. Enough of this " we cannot say it might upset the government" [censored]. That just looks like an easy cover up for no progress in 5 years. 

As you so often say OD, nothing has taken place even with successive boards promising they will follow this through.

In the end you need an appropriate space which will take a complete change of thinking from this board or a future one if this one doesn't come to its senses.

Following on from there, local council/state Govt baking plus State Govt $$.

It seems we are still years and maybe a decade away or more from any of this coming to fruition.

I also think this plays in to some of our recruitment issues and attracting some of the top players (maybe not massive issue but it all adds up).  When they come and tour facilities where are we telling them our home is and what are we showing them?  Facilities at AAMI / Gosches then tracking them an hour away out to the blowey hole that is Casey?  Must feel a bit disjointed vs some of the other set ups surely.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

As you so often say OD, nothing has taken place even with successive boards promising they will follow this through.

In the end you need an appropriate space which will take a complete change of thinking from this board or a future one if this one doesn't come to its senses.

Following on from there, local council/state Govt baking plus State Govt $$.

It seems we are still years and maybe a decade away or more from any of this coming to fruition.

I also think this plays in to some of our recruitment issues and attracting some of the top players (maybe not massive issue but it all adds up).  When they come and tour facilities where are we telling them our home is and what are we showing them?  Facilities at AAMI / Gosches then tracking them an hour away out to the blowey hole that is Casey?  Must feel a bit disjointed vs some of the other set ups surely.

An issue that is only going to get bigger also. Hard to see any good ending. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...