Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Training Ground?


Romey
 Share


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, —coach— said:

So basically it would seem we could:

- have all our admin/s+c etc facilities at AAMI

- train predominantly on goshes

- negotiate 1 training session per week on MCG (or at least once per week at Casey) to ensure we train on the larger ground

I doubt we'd be able to train once a week on the MCG during cricket season. But I'd like it if we could during the football season.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
added second sentence
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I doubt we'd be able to train once a week on the MCG during cricket season. But I'd like it if we could during the football season.

Dreams of training on the G are just that dreams, it is never going to happen. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Not with an attitude like that!

There are four teams that play their home games at the G, why would one be given preferential treatment ? Also the league / mcc do not want extra pressure on the playing surface. 

Edited by old dee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

Dreams of training on the G are just that dreams, it is never going to happen. 

speaking of dreams it would be nice if the MCG is used as our gathering point should we win the big one this year.

Casey or Gosch's paddock does not have quite the same allure

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

speaking of dreams it would be nice if the MCG is used as our gathering point should we win the big one this year.

Casey or Gosch's paddock does not have quite the same allure

You know what DJ if we win it I don’t care where  the gathering point is just win the bloody thing.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, old dee said:

There are four teams that play their home games at the G, why would one be given preferential treatment ? Also the league / mcc do not want extra pressure on the playing surface. 

And if you visit the Ground during the weekdays, you will see that it is covered with lighting modules which are there to make the grass grow. 

To put it simply the MCG is unavailable weekdays and from October to March.  ( How many times does this need to be explained?)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, george_on_the_outer said:

And if you visit the Ground during the weekdays, you will see that it is covered with lighting modules which are there to make the grass grow. 

To put it simply the MCG is unavailable weekdays and from October to March.  ( How many times does this need to be explained?)

It would seem a number yet George!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


42 minutes ago, old dee said:

There are four teams that play their home games at the G, why would one be given preferential treatment ? Also the league / mcc do not want extra pressure on the playing surface. 

Because we are a part of the MCC and the MCG is our home - the other teams are just tenants.

There is minimal pressure on the surface these days, one training run a week isn't going to do any damage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

There is plenty of available land around keysborough. You could build your own facility there and own the land outright. I think we need to move on from being next to the mcg. 

I think many of us feel similar ways. we need a frikn home base... where exactly it is ( within reason) feels like a secondary concern. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to get my head around why this thread has popped up again.  Storm are building a base in Broadmeadows.  I assume they are not moving there but it's their version of having a Casey Fields of their own in the North?

 

Would love to see us sort out our home base situation - but in the meantime I feel like the Casey situation isn't terrible.  I don't think it's a coincidence that our team defence is through the roof when (for the first time) we've been able to train all preseason on a ground that is MCG size.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

I think many of us feel similar ways. we need a frikn home base... where exactly it is ( within reason) feels like a secondary concern. 

We have been waiting 10 years for a base to be made available. At this rate we will be waiting 10 more years. 

We might never get a 10/10 site. We need to start settling for 8/10

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure i heard Frank Panisi from Storm on SEN mention the new facilities will house the whole club and still play games out of Aami stadium.

You would think if this is the case and we take soul control of the training base their would be major redevelopments their for that to be our home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Win4theAges said:

I'm pretty sure i heard Frank Panisi from Storm on SEN mention the new facilities will house the whole club and still play games out of Aami stadium.

You would think if this is the case and we take soul control of the training base their would be major redevelopments their for that to be our home.

Unfortunately we still have the rugby union team (rebels) and 2 soccer teams also using those facilities (victory and city).

But I like your train of thought here!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Neitas bump said:

Unfortunately we still have the rugby union team (rebels) and 2 soccer teams also using those facilities (victory and city).

But I like your train of thought here!

Rebels are now based at Princes park for training.  Melbourne city are based at Casey Fields for training.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I understand how 'nice' it would be to be close to the MCG, the land around there is in short supply.

Also maybe 1% of our members live in and around the Richmond area, lets be honest. Most members live in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, as do our players.

I would rather have a state of the art facility, MCG sized training ground and a social club / offices in one somewhere away from the MCG precinct, than wait another decade in the faint hope we will get this going in the perfect location.

To be honest I am not sure why we can't use Casey and just grow it. I don't live too far from here, and there are loads of Melbourne supporters in this area, and the entire city of Casey and Cardinia are being developed and re-developed at an insane rate. 

Wouldn't you rather get these local governments to chip in, maybe build an extra train station near the ground, some more parking etc and grow this as our hub? 

I feel like we are 1st home buyers. Naively waiting to buy a mansion in Toorak, but with a budget to buy a flat in Frankston. Sometimes you gotta be realistic and just get into the market. Having something is better than having nothing!

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a President largely appointed to get this done.

The club have said the planning is underway and there’s a number of spots around Gosch’s. 

Can we just relax and trust the club to do what they’ve said they will do?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

So to summarise...

 - Storm are building a facility to house their youth and women's teams @ Broadmeadows. Their men's team will still train and be based at AAMI Park. It will be their version of Casey Fields.

- Rebels are training at Princes Park full time?

- Victory still training at AAMI Park. Won't see that changing anytime soon as their proposed Footscray Park redevelopment was shot down. Only chance would be to have another council assist Victory with a new facility like Casey did with City.

 

 

 

 

Edited by 13thFlagIsComing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Because we are a part of the MCC and the MCG is our home - the other teams are just tenants.

There is minimal pressure on the surface these days, one training run a week isn't going to do any damage.

Have a look at the centre square and members wing once we get to July and August. It turns very slick and dead. 

The home vs tenant arrangement won’t stand up, 3 other teams will riot.

We deserve one training run before round 1. Interstate teams get to and I believe we don’t. After that it’s keep off for the sake of the turf 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jaded said:

While I understand how 'nice' it would be to be close to the MCG, the land around there is in short supply.

Also maybe 1% of our members live in and around the Richmond area, lets be honest. Most members live in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, as do our players.

I would rather have a state of the art facility, MCG sized training ground and a social club / offices in one somewhere away from the MCG precinct, than wait another decade in the faint hope we will get this going in the perfect location.

To be honest I am not sure why we can't use Casey and just grow it. I don't live too far from here, and there are loads of Melbourne supporters in this area, and the entire city of Casey and Cardinia are being developed and re-developed at an insane rate. 

Wouldn't you rather get these local governments to chip in, maybe build an extra train station near the ground, some more parking etc and grow this as our hub? 

I feel like we are 1st home buyers. Naively waiting to buy a mansion in Toorak, but with a budget to buy a flat in Frankston. Sometimes you gotta be realistic and just get into the market. Having something is better than having nothing!

Would prefer a flat in Frankston over a Cranbourne dog box. Just sayin. Play on

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have faith that the new MFC President Kate Roffey and MFC CEO Gary Pert are handling this matter of the home base for the Demons. The MCG will always be our spiritual home and where we came from. Our history and our heritage will always belong there. The MCC should probably be more grateful towards us for helping turn the MCG into a sporting Mecca in the 1950s and early 1960s with our Premiership success at the time, but it would be silly for us to take all the credit.

I am still not going to rule out the option (never say never) of something built near Jolimont Station. I feel like the residents of East Melbourne are a bit short-sighted and selfish in not wanting to have a community hub, a social club and training ground built there. However, I don't know all the details and I don't live in that area.

In the end, if this MCG precinct situation cannot be resolved we will need to look at continuing to grow at Casey Fields (ideally building a social club there) and then the option of having a new home base (both training, administration and a social club) at the Caulfield Racecourse which is being re-developed (in a few years time) into a sporting hub and is also in our traditional heart land of inner South-Eastern Melbourne (Caulfield, Malvern, Bentleigh, Ormond etc).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BW511 said:

Funny how every other club across the codes has the facility as the highest priority and will sacrifice location for it.

Not us, we’ll settle for sub-standard facilities as long as we are within reach of the MCG.

We are on a long road to nowhere

Our Casey facilities are world class and match it with any of the big European football club training bases.

As a stopgap, AAMI is fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For all those people saying just train to Richmond and watch training at Goschs. After the new train underground goes in no trains from the SE suburbs will go through Richmond. None, no Pakenham or Cranbourne trains through Richmond. I still cant figure out how all the people on Anzac eve game going to the SE will get on the Frankston train. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/27/2021 at 12:00 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

If you grew up in Sandringham, as i did in the 60’s 70’s and 80’s, just the idea of “joining up with Port Melbourne” is NOT ON!!

Those Footy Clubs HATED each other big time. 
it just doesn’t feel right 

WHICH footy Clubs Are you talking about?

None of them  are Of any strength now so MOVE ON from the VFL/VFA period am look to the future . 

Those "Footy Clubs" are not around and the 80,000 population is the future of that area and it needs a high class sporting facility for  Pt Melb and Maybe the Dees For S as Amin Social snd  Training etc.
 

FGS give up the 70's  footy culture and move on SWYL!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...