Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

6 hours ago, rjay said:

All I can hope is that we're linked into the new MCG redevelopment in some way.

Other than that I'm not sure what's on the agenda that's keeping everything hush, hush.

I agree. If not then we absolutely have to explore other options away from the MCG precinct. Commonwealth games are regional so no help there. Other than that the only things being built in Victoria is hospitals and railway infrastructure. We need to think outside the square and partner up with another party whether it be the Melbourne Racing Club at Caulfield Racecourse a private school, share an elite purpose built facility with the Australian Netball Team or anything but this fixation being at the MCG is holding us back. It really is time that the board gives members a real update of where things are at.

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Was just about to post the same thing.

Another $77 million dollar upgrade for Whitten Oval.

Here is the direct link to the news article: https://www.afl.com.au/news/864461/short-term-pain-long-term-gain-dogs-hq-to-be-transformed

It is humiliating that we are getting ignored as an AFL Club.

We need to get this sorted with our home training and administration base or the Melbourne Football Club will get left behind.

It's nobody's fault but our own. 

Not sure how local government or the AFL are to blame when we have had ample opportunity to choose an area to build a base. 

The ignoring comes from supporters believing it is others at fault for the predicament we're in. 

Years of sub-par decision making on and off the field is the reason we STILL haven't secured a home base in our heartland. Nothing else. 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

But why Red?

The "squeaky wheel" gets the oil. Are we not squeaky enough? Is our profile not important enough?

I thought having contacts and getting funding etc was one of Roffey's strengths.

We appear to still be an irrelevant club.

I'm not having a crack at you here - I just don't get it.

The big problem as I see it is there are no votes in giving money etc the the MFC. On top of that we are trying to do the near impossible and that is getting a spot near the G, last spot went to the Pies. To the Club,  For gods sake tell us something, enough of this " we cannot talk because it will spoil Negotiations" What negotiations? That may have washed five years ago not now. Oh there will not be a members info night this year, it maybe early 2023. AGM date unknown but it will be early in the next year. Reason? it is required by the law of the land I wonder would there be one if it was not. We are looking a lot like a mushroom factory these days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

It's nobody's fault but our own. 

Not sure how local government or the AFL are to blame when we have had ample opportunity to choose an area to build a base. 

The ignoring comes from supporters believing it is others at fault for the predicament we're in. 

Years of sub-par decision making on and off the field is the reason we STILL haven't secured a home base in our heartland. Nothing else. 

That might have washed five years ago JD but this insistence that it has to be close to the G is the biggest problem. Has the membership ever been asked where we would like it?

15 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Only one way to find out what the hell is going on here is for all of us D'Landers bombard the club with a simple email. Quote " Will we get a home base in my lifetime" unquote. I'll send one in the morning.

yes, there's nothing like a stern letter or 42 to really get things moving

• Haha 2

I have posted this before, but will post again. 

My mail around mid 2021 was we expected a major redevelopment of AAMI Park for the 2023 Women's World Cup. New indoor training area, rooms, recovery area, etc. which would be handed to the MFC after the tournament. 

It was going to be a major announcement, hence why we were all told to wait. The eventual announcement was much more watered down - https://aamipark.com.au/news/aami-park-set-for-upgrades-ahead-of-fifa-womens-world-cup/#:~:text=In a boost for players,be finished in February 2023.

I think plan A is gone and we are up the creek... The build over the carpark plan may be a spin off of the original... 

Like others, my hope is we will be included in the Warne Stand redevelopment. There is perhaps a small chance, given the Vic Gov are the major funder of the stand and also the funder of our working group (if it still exists?). Even if we are included in the new stand, there is still the issue of access to an oval as we will not be permitted to train on the G and walking to Gosch's Paddock where there is not even a toilet for the players is amateurish.  

I am afraid the reason we have not heard from the club, is there is nothing to hear...  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, rjay said:

All I can hope is that we're linked into the new MCG redevelopment in some way.

Other than that I'm not sure what's on the agenda that's keeping everything hush, hush.

Perhaps nothing is happening rjay and no one wants to admit. They seem to waiting for a hail Mary.

37 minutes ago, Gouga said:

My mail around mid 2021 was we expected a major redevelopment of AAMI Park for the 2023 Women's World Cup. New indoor training area, rooms, recovery area, etc. which would be handed to the MFC after the tournament. 

It was going to be a major announcement, hence why we were all told to wait. The eventual announcement was much more watered down - https://aamipark.com.au/news/aami-park-set-for-upgrades-ahead-of-fifa-womens-world-cup/#:~:text=In a boost for players,be finished in February 2023.

I think plan A is gone and we are up the creek... The build over the carpark plan may be a spin off of the original... 

Like others, my hope is we will be included in the Warne Stand redevelopment. There is perhaps a small chance, given the Vic Gov are the major funder of the stand and also the funder of our working group (if it still exists?). Even if we are included in the new stand, there is still the issue of access to an oval as we will not be permitted to train on the G and walking to Gosch's Paddock where there is not even a toilet for the players is amateurish.  

I am afraid the reason we have not heard from the club, is there is nothing to hear...  

Spot on Gouga I think you have nailed it. Why can't they admit it and move on? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old dee said:

Spot on Gouga I think you have nailed it. Why can't they admit it and move on? 

maybe the government panel has indicated it might be part of southern stand redevelopment (maybe including richmond station and building over train lines) but not yet guaranteed.

this takes us back to the same conundrum with aami carpark redevelopment in not being able to go public and the need for secrecy because of government involvement.

they can't say the aami carpark scenario has fallen through because they never announced (hinted yes) it in the first place

just guessing though......

the mcg redevelopment is planned to start in 2027 and done in stages so finals etc can still be staged. it probably wouldn't be finished until the end of the decade (or even later!).

if this is the new direction it is a very long wait with many uncertainties

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

maybe the government panel has indicated it might be part of southern stand redevelopment (maybe including richmond station and building over train lines) but not yet guaranteed.

this takes us back to the same conundrum with aami carpark redevelopment in not being able to go public and the need for secrecy because of government involvement.

they can't say the aami carpark scenario has fallen through because they never announced (hinted yes) it in the first place

We will be in the ground before the southern stand development even starts DC. And what if there is a change of government have the libs promised to do the southern stand?  They are hiding behind secrecy IMO. 

Just now, old dee said:

We will be in the ground before the southern stand development even starts DC. And what if there is a change of government have the libs promised to do the southern stand?  They are hiding behind secrecy IMO. 

the libs have said they approve in principle(!) and the major business groups have endorsed the plan.

for what that is worth

3 hours ago, Gouga said:

this seems like a plausible scenario. I know these things can be a slow burn but it’s been so long since we embarked on this mcg precinct plan I can’t think but assume something had gone awry. I would rather we admit failure and move on to another option than hope for a miracle 

• Like 1

Here's a (conspiracy) theory for you. The government committed to the Women's World Cup redevelopment, where we would be the long term beneficiary after the Cup with the construction of facilities in Car Park E or F or whatever the vague scenario was. The government then reneged or backed out of the deal with some excuse - election, funding issues, covid, will look at it next year etc. We're left with nothing and can't make a song and dance about it as we inevitably have to grovel to them again.

I agree with Old Dee - there just aren't votes in funding a home for the MFC when you look at the ridiculous amount of money thrown at other clubs.

14 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Here's a (conspiracy) theory for you. The government committed to the Women's World Cup redevelopment, where we would be the long term beneficiary after the Cup with the construction of facilities in Car Park E or F or whatever the vague scenario was. The government then reneged or backed out of the deal with some excuse - election, funding issues, covid, will look at it next year etc. We're left with nothing and can't make a song and dance about it as we inevitably have to grovel to them again.

I agree with Old Dee - there just aren't votes in funding a home for the MFC when you look at the ridiculous amount of money thrown at other clubs.

Here is another theory Roger. The Club, and most likely the Government as well, saw a better long-term solution in having our facilities included in the redevelopment of the Warne stand. This will obviously take a lot longer to eventuate. Until then, following the world cup, we will utilise the revamped facilities at AAMI. It may be that until the design work for the redevelopment has been finalised and the funding approved, the Club cannot /don't want to announce this.

The silence from the Club on this is regrettably deafening, and I hope for the Board's sake that this silence is due to similar reasons to the above, and not because we have nothing - as a number of you are suggesting. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, daisycutter said:

I would have thought we'd have an in principle agreement with the State Government that we would have facilities in the MCG precinct and the timing of an announcement. It seems silly that we'd participate and contribute funding to the working group without this commitment up front.

When the Gotch's paddock resurfacing was announced I thought Gary Pert nailed it in explaining how sub par our training ground had been since we used to train on the MCG as our home ground. The AFL needs to step up and lobby the State Government who need to step up and accept a viable option whether it be AAMI Park, the MCG Southern Stand, above the Jolimont Railway tracks or the area near the Freeway south of Gotch's paddock. That there is nothing to announce is a cop out as there should be an agreement by now on which development our facilities will be part of regardless of whether all of the detailed work is completed.

I wouldn't mind the club publicly lobby on the lack of AFL and State Government funding we have received in comparison to every other club, e.g. publish a ladder of facility funding and where we sit, the state of our grounds since we were blocked from training on our home ground the MCG, and the funding we have contributed to work up options and present to the AFL and State Government which have been knocked back.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:27 AM, old dee said:

Don't worry dd we will get a home soon!!! I am confident it will be this century. 

In relation to our great club, just over 75 years might not be enough in terms of timeframe. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So we got an old oval resurfaced and some new change rooms 50k from the MCG

Yes, we got $2 million towards Gosch's and $7.5 million towards Casey.

You seemed to be saying we've got nothing from the government and we'd never see announcements from them - you were wrong.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

Me when they give us next update on our home base.

Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

Gawd Dazzle u reckon you will look bad after 84 years, I'm likely to look like this guy!!

image.jpeg.1ba94c4d0070fd8c377a4ab8084f4d6b.jpeg

• Haha 4