Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

and yet we're the second most recent premier with an enviable culture and playing list

That's a furphy. Who is to say we wouldn't have been more successful with a proper footy/admin base? Who is to say having our admin and footy department in separate locations couldn't cultivate discord between the two? Who is to say that having a training base decades behind other clubs doesn't impact on recruitment or player retention? Who is to say that having no firm base for the club fosters a lack of identity making our enviable culture difficult to embed?

Just pointing to last years flag as though that solves decades old issues is a sure way to be back right where we were before too long. We need to capitalise on that momentum not rest on our laurels.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's a furphy. Who is to say we wouldn't have been more successful with a proper footy/admin base? Who is to say having our admin and footy department in separate locations couldn't cultivate discord between the two? Who is to say that having a training base decades behind other clubs doesn't impact on recruitment or player retention? Who is to say that having no firm base for the club fosters a lack of identity making our enviable culture difficult to embed?

Just pointing to last years flag as though that solves decades old issues is a sure way to be back right where we were before too long. We need to capitalise on that momentum not rest on our laurels.

who is to say indeed...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

Must say I've been thinking a lot more about the whole precinct thing lately. I want nothing more than to have something in the shadows of the G but if there's a chance to have everything we ever wanted out at Casey? I don't know I'm just getting tired of this. 

Yeah, I’d rather have everything we need even if it is at Casey as opposed to having to compromise on things if it were to be in the MCG vicinity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

i love how up in arms a small contingent are about this

5 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

and yet we're the second most recent premier with an enviable culture and playing list

3 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

You don't think there is a problem here?

Personally haven't been up in arms about it as I've thought we had it in hand.

...however the longer it goes without any news I feel a little concerned and that concern is growing.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, rjay said:

You don't think there is a problem here?

Personally haven't been up in arms about it as I've thought we had it in hand.

...however the longer it goes without any news I feel a little concerned and that concern is growing.

We are a couple of weeks out from an election and all things MFC are as silent as the grave. Don't hold you breath rjay it is as far away as ever because we are attempting the near impossible.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

I think it gets bumped ever time we hear of another club upgrading their facilities.

A few weeks back it was Brisbane now it seems to be Adelaide and here is us still crickets....

Nothing to do with Lawrence I would think.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Who? If you're referring to me I was never a supporter of Lawrence and didn't even vote or send a proxy on the constitutional issue. Don't just troll from the cheap seats instead of actually participating in the discussion.

This has been a longstanding issue - our lack of a home base goes back decades. The current board has been fervent in their pursuit of this and making promises of action to members. The Board has performed well and I'm not agitating for any changes - but they are the ones who put this on the agenda. The members deserve some answers on this because they have been promising for years that things are moving and they can't say anything now but within X months etc etc

The reason I posted in here is because I've just been reading the Ian Munro book and to see it spelt out how long this has been an issue for and how poor our facilities were for so long and how far we fell behind the rest of the league is extremely frustrating. I want the best for my club and that includes a proper home base with the whole club united under one roof.

Again, to reiterate - the board themselves put this on the agenda by including it in our strategic plan. Point 5 of the 2020-2023 Strategic Plan states;

* Finish construction of high performance facility at Casey Fields

* Start construction of new Melbourne home base facility

If they do not get something up and running in the next 12 months they will have failed to meet this stated ambition.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2022 at 10:15 PM, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

I reckon this might be what the long silenced delay has been all along SWYL.

If this is the grand plan this would be magnificent.

A Women's flag wouldn't hurt either to help aid our cause to go along with our AFL Premiership in 2021, would be the first club in Victoria to win both.

Nice little kicker and talking point to lather up those pollies.

I'm inclined to this GSS redevelopment possibility, with you and @Sir Why You Little. Apologies, everyone, if the detail below has already been canvassed. I also note it would seem a strategic plan 'fail' as pointed out by @Dr. Gonzo.

From 'felix.net' in 'Felix Project News', claiming itself to be 'Australia's Favourite Construction Blog' [with my numbering]:

1. $2M+ State/MCC/G funding was committed mid year to '... complete the business case for the [GSS] redevelopment project.'

2. Development won't start until 2027, after the 2026 opening of the Commonwealth Games and a possible 2027 Rugby World Cup, and '... is expected to be undertaken in sections, enabling the ground still to be used for major events ...'

3. Quoting MCC's Stuart Fox: 'This [State/MCC/G] funding will allow the MCC and the State ... to develop detailed plans around scope options, funding [my italics] ... ' etc

4. The project '... will ... include "best-in-class facilities" for event and non-event [my italics] days.'

5. '...new elite player facilities will ... be incorporated into the stand.'

6. The stand '... will ... have better connections ... potentially to the Melbourne and Olympic Park precincts.'

7. Paraphrasing, the stand will open up to the Yarra Park surroundings.

8. It will '... also feature ... a possible hotel to generate additional revenue ...'

Points 1 and 2 provide an 'it's early days' reason for a current, at least 'nothing to report' silence. All the points to varying degrees involve a likely (lead?) tenancy, as opposed to an 'owned' facility elsewhere, which points to 'commercial in confidence' and 'negotiation' reasons for a current silence. Current MFC director and property lawyer David Rennick is involved (and good!) Point 3 indicates scope development is still very much in play in negotiations.

Points 4, 5 and 6, supported by point 3, provide the hint that player needs we have debated in here can, and likely will, be met.

Points 7 and 8 suggest a component of 'corporate' type construction, in which MFC corporate needs could be met. I wonder if point 7 might be met be a fill-in of the triangle formed with Brunton Ave outside Gate 5(?)

Sadly point 2 would suggest such new facilities could be instrumental only in our next premiership window!😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

I'm inclined to this GSS redevelopment possibility, with you and @Sir Why You Little. Apologies, everyone, if the detail below has already been canvassed. I also note it would seem a strategic plan 'fail' as pointed out by @Dr. Gonzo.

From 'felix.net' in 'Felix Project News', claiming itself to be 'Australia's Favourite Construction Blog' [with my numbering]:

1. $2M+ State/MCC/G funding was committed mid year to '... complete the business case for the [GSS] redevelopment project.'

2. Development won't start until 2027, after the 2026 opening of the Commonwealth Games and a possible 2027 Rugby World Cup, and '... is expected to be undertaken in sections, enabling the ground still to be used for major events ...'

3. Quoting MCC's Stuart Fox: 'This [State/MCC/G] funding will allow the MCC and the State ... to develop detailed plans around scope options, funding [my italics] ... ' etc

4. The project '... will ... include "best-in-class facilities" for event and non-event [my italics] days.'

6. The stand '... will ... have better connections ... potentially to the Melbourne and Olympic Park precincts.'

8. It will '... also feature ... a possible hotel to generate additional revenue ...'

Points 1 and 2 provide an 'it's early days' reason for a current, at least 'nothing to report' silence. All the points to varying degrees involve a likely (lead?) tenancy, as opposed to an 'owned' facility elsewhere, which points to 'commercial in confidence' and 'negotiation' reasons for a current silence. Current MFC director and property lawyer David Rennick is involved (and good!) Point 3 indicates scope development is still very much in play in negotiations.

Points 4, 5 and 6, supported by point 3, provide the hint that player needs we have debated in here can, and likely will, be met.

Points 7 and 8 suggest a component of 'corporate' type construction, in which MFC corporate needs could be met. I wonder if point 7 might be met be a fill-in of the triangle formed with Brunton Ave outside Gate 5(?)

Sadly point 2 would suggest such new facilities could be instrumental only in our next premiership window!😉

Great summary, thanks for that.

To make it clear, I don't care if construction commences by end of 2023 if we have a clear pathway towards a solution. I just want a solution - I was only pointing out the 2020-2023 Strategic Plan of the club says they should start construction by end of 2023. If they don't but there is something in place to commence construction by say 2025 I will still be very happy at that outcome.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Give it a break 'Nev'....

...so you're not the slightest bit concerned that nothing has been communicated on the new facility?

If not, do you have some inside info that things are all on track?

...or is it just blind faith?

• Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Give it a break 'Nev'....

...so you're not the slightest bit concerned that nothing has been communicated on the new facility?

If not, do you have some inside info that things are all on track?

...or is it just blind faith?

I'm not anymore concerned about it than I was about this time last week. Keen for something to happen, but also understand the complexities, just find the timing of the renewed outrage interesting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

Yes, it is by far our best chance to get facilities within the MCG. Another 2-3 flags would helpno end!!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, rjay said:

rjay I'm interested to know what announcements you and others want from the Club.  Roffey and Pert have communicated earlier in the year that the Club is negotiating with around 5 different entities to make it happen and any announcements have to come from the Govt and not the club or they risk torpedoing it happening. I can't think of two better people to be involved in this for MFC than Roffey and Pert given they've both been heavily involved in the past with the entities we're negotiating with. 

They have advised two very promising developments which make it still worthwhile pursuing. One is that the Govt has spent from memory over $100,000 or hundreds of thousands on feasibility studies with very detailed plans which Pert has seen and said would be incredible for the Club. Secondly that the Govt has just spent, was it $2.3million on Gosch's upgrade for MFC which is clearly a sign they are very serious about MFC staying in the area. What announcement do you want from the Club? They clearly can't say more than this.  

I'm as frustrated as anyone at the lack of progress and I'm sure Pert and the Board are as well. Unfortunately I suspect that the Govt's decision to get and fund the Cwlth Games has probably put this back several years. As far as I'm concerned I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes to get something within the MCG precinct or until we know definitively it won't happen. 

The AAMI training facilities may not now be cutting edge but as I understand it they are also not second rate. The Melbourne Storm have remained one of the best NRL teams using them. They are continually funded and upgraded by the four teams that use them. Goschs is now AFL standard. As I understand it the biggest advantage of the new facilities is the plan for them to be ours alone. The other advantages will be more about non football. Like combined Admin and FD, social club facilities, museum etc. 

Edited by Its Time for Another
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 8:48 AM, layzie said:

Must say I've been thinking a lot more about the whole precinct thing lately. I want nothing more than to have something in the shadows of the G but if there's a chance to have everything we ever wanted out at Casey? I don't know I'm just getting tired of this. 

Having travelled to Casey to watch the AFLW on the weekend, I am firmly against any move to that area, period! It is over an hour from the CBD. I live in North Balwyn and it took me in excess of 50 mins. Once there, there is no soul at all to the place. It does not represent our supporter base at all. I would be gutted if we were to move out there permanently. It's actually unfair on our AFLW team that they even have to play there. They get very few people watching. Contrast that with the inner city grounds like Punt Road. If anyone thinks we are growing members and fans out there, I challenge your assertion. No one cares about the MFC in Cranbourne. Facts!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

To me Hawthorn is the strangest story they gave up Glenferie Oval as home base to move to Waverley which they touted as being the best of all worlds and yet they are now moving to Dingley the new Mecca. I wonder what the Hawks fans think??

I am glad that we are holding out for our home base to be close to our place of origin, we are Melbourne so need to stay close to our roots and CBD. If it takes longer to achieve it so be it,  it will be well worth it.!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

To me Hawthorn is the strangest story they gave up Glenferie Oval as home base to move to Waverley which they touted as being the best of all worlds and yet they are now moving to Dingley the new Mecca. I wonder what the Hawks fans think??

I am glad that we are holding out for our home base to be close to our place of origin, we are Melbourne so need to stay close to our roots and CBD. If it takes longer to achieve it so be it,  it will be well worth it.!!

For one thing the Glenferrie "Oval" is just tiny and can never be enlarged, so cannot be a serious training ground.   As I recall when Kennedy broke their premiership drought they did match simulations at Scotch College (or maybe Xavier) which were far nearer in size and shape to the MCG.  

• Like 1

If melbourne we an NBA team we would have been sold and relocated to Las Vegas 40 years ago. Not having a high quality venue over there is akin to being unviable as an organisation. 

The silence from the board on this is deafening. We need an update.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, praha said:

If melbourne we an NBA team we would have been sold and relocated to Las Vegas 40 years ago. Not having a high quality venue over there is akin to being unviable as an organisation. 

This is a training venue. We are talking about practice.

If this were the NBA, teams would be paying us rent to play at the G.

You are talking about practice!

Practice. 

Not the game. Not the game that I live and die for. Not the game.

We’re talking about practice.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, praha said:

Except that NBA franchises are privately owned and generally their practice facilities are nothing special. Also, often the team head offices are in the stadiums or other locations. Hmmm a training facility and head office in different locations? Intriguing concept.

Probably not the best analogy to draw here.

• Haha 1

@george_on_the_outercan you please explain exactly what post I was given an "inappropriate language" penalty for in this thread? I understand some might not have agreed with my comments in regards to the timing of the complaints in this thread, but given they related to someone you seem to have a personal relationship with it doesn't seem like proper moderation to be deleting posts and handing out warnings simply because you disagree with them when nothing "inappropriate" was ever said.

11 hours ago, rpfc said:

This is a training venue. We are talking about practice.

If this were the NBA, teams would be paying us rent to play at the G.

You are talking about practice!

Practice. 

Not the game. Not the game that I live and die for. Not the game.

We’re talking about practice.

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

That’s very funny.

Even funnier is when Ted Lasso did a version:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Rode past Glenferrie on the train a few weeks back which was an opportunity to be reminded of what a rubbish venue it was and remains. Suitable for high school footy and not much else.

• Sad 1