Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

1 hour ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

It may have already been mentioned on these threads but instead of building over the Jolimont railyards they could place the tracks underground and we could have a new training facility and office where the old East Melbourne cricket ground used to be. 

nice idea........but the cost and the time that would take to come to completion are big obstacles. it would have to be part of a much larger development. could drag on for decades

• Like 2

Elsternwick park is 10 mins on train from Richmond. It has full sized oval. It is close to Nepean hwy and rail and tram. It is actually 6 kms from Melbourne city. It is already upgraded and ready to go but would need a lot of diplomatic and political sway to get it.

But much less than other options. It already has a license, it has an almost extinct bowls club next to it that needs a makeover if a function was needed. It is close to some of the best pub meals at the Elsternwick hotel. That end of GlenHuntly rd is now catching up with inner suburbs. There is quite a lot going for it. Brand new facilities, it is like a large regional ground. I just think that the infrastructure and politics of of other options has about the same hope as a train to the airport. And Port Melbourne? We'd be under the WestGate and with our luck it would come down again.

• Thanks 1

Elsternwick Park isn't an option. 

It's home base for the VAFA who have about 70 clubs, 7 senior mens leagues and a whole heap of thirds, under 19's and women's. The VAFA probably has greater political pull than we do.

When the golf club closed down they turned 9 golf holes worth of space in to a freaking nature reserve rather than creating desperately needed new ovals for footy or soccer. This was right during the rise of women's footy than saw demand for ovals go through the roof. One of the most baffling and ridiculous decisions I've ever heard about. To say they are anti sporting development doesn't even come close to describe it.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2020 at 4:06 PM, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Stop thinking only for yourselves Melbourne supporters,  and think more broadly for supporters who need to travel.

They need a railway station.  it is critical to grow our club.

If you only need to travel 6 Klms or so,  you don't have the correct perception to be able to judge this big decision.

It's not just access for the very inner Melbourne supporter,  its to grow the club from far and wide suburbs.  We need to cast a wide net across Melbourne.

Mate look at Casey, you need a cut lunch to get out there it like the Saints Seaford experiment is a time/money muncher!

Could you imagine if we said lets put the clubs secondary home in Sunbury? Everyone would loose there you know whats but its actually closer than Casey to the G 

Casey Field to MCG - 51+KMs 

Sunbury to MCG - 47+ KMs

Any social rooms and club facility needs to be as close to the G as possible as being central is most important as the outer suburbs things don't work for a number for reasons including transport infrastructures 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dee Watcher said:

Mate look at Casey, you need a cut lunch to get out there it like the Saints Seaford experiment is a time/money muncher!

Could you imagine if we said lets put the clubs secondary home in Sunbury? Everyone would loose there you know whats but its actually closer than Casey to the G 

Actually, Darwin is closer than Casey.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, Romey said:

I know this topic has been done to death but I am surprised this option has not been mentioned as a possible venue for our new training ground.

As the bird flies Yarra Bend is about 3 km from the MCG and is a huge expanse of land that is not highly used by local sporting clubs in winter  as far as I am aware. While not an ideal place for a social club, it could allow an Essendon Tullamarine style facility. Beautiful surroundings too.

Thoughts?

E8553579-CFB5-4BD7-B17F-E5141E01F63F.jpeg

Just a tame educated guess, but I would think that the MFC has trained under lights less than any other team in the comp.  If that is the case, then candles are critical.

3 hours ago, Dee Watcher said:

Casey Field to MCG - 51+KMs 

Sunbury to MCG - 47+ KMs

Any social rooms and club facility needs to be as close to the G as possible as being central is most important as the outer suburbs things don't work for a number for reasons including transport infrastructures 

Agreed DW.   I don't think I mentioned Casey.

Sandown could be an option for what your talkng about.?

- - - - - - -

Gosch's is the answer for our inner Melbourne home with Social club.

17 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Sadly, I agree with Eddie.  As I said on the previous page, the Port Melbourne homeground is currently nestled in the middle of the Fisherman's Bend development.  Plenty of space, current football presence, few residents to offend or object and soon to be home to many thousands of people.

I think our mate Eddie knows something and is trying to use his clout to turn those influencial people's attention away from the area's the MFC want to build in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We don't need facilities for supporters, we just need proper training and admin facilities for the players and staff. This is a professional multi-million dollar per year club not a local pie night and chook raffle deal.

Spot on Dr. I guess it is because the MFC has never had a facility that  a few crave it.

I have a number of friends who are keen supporters of Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon.

They all tell me the same story, they have not been to the social club for years. Social clubs are a 20th century thing. 

They are non essential in 2020.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 4
  • Shocked 1

i do not really care about a 'social club'. Those days are long gone. Long gone. No one would go. The MFC would be better off simply partnering with a pub, as they did with the Duke of Wellington and The Sporting Globe. In time, we may even become profitable enough to buy a pub and use it as a revenue source. It wouldn't even need to be an exclusive MFC pub, except of match days. 

We need a space where we have elite facilities and a merchandise store that is accessible. That is it. Whether that is Port Melbourne, Jolimont or Burnley, the sooner it happens the better. 

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

i do not really care about a 'social club'. Those days are long gone. Long gone. No one would go. The MFC would be better off simply partnering with a pub, as they did with the Duke of Wellington and The Sporting Globe. In time, we may even become profitable enough to buy a pub and use it as a revenue source. It wouldn't even need to be an exclusive MFC pub, except of match days. 

We need a space where we have elite facilities and a merchandise store that is accessible. That is it. Whether that is Port Melbourne, Jolimont or Burnley, the sooner it happens the better. 

Agree L_36 I go as far as "anywhere" 

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We don't need facilities for supporters, we just need proper training and admin facilities for the players and staff. This is a professional multi-million dollar per year club not a local pie night and chook raffle deal.

Totally agree Gonzo. Take care of the players' and the club, it is paramount to on-field success.

Supporter's are primarily concerned with success not a social club.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Leoncelli_36 said:

100% agree.  An absolute waste of money for something that will be empty except for 10 or 12 evenings a year!  We didn't sign up for the cafe at AAMI park because it wouldn't make money.  Collingwood don't have a social club at their facility. They use the rooms in the Ponsford stand etc.

If we all need somewhere to celebrate there are still plenty of rooms in the MCG used for that purpose today.  

If we ever win a Premiership we can set up tents in Yarra Park.....I won't care, and I dare say neither will any other supporters.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Agree club should get Admin/Players/performance in at a single facility before worrying about if there is room for a social club etc.

The release of the 5 years plan clearly shows that they current admin must be very close on a deal in the MCG/Yarra Park area otherwise its going to be a massive egg on face moment for Pres & CEO

We’re spoiled for choice when it comes to micro breweries and their craft beers in the inner city suburbs so I for one wouldn’t spend time at an MFC social club that offered the tired old options of CUB or their modern day equivalents. They both belong to a bygone era. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A social club would be a white elephant. You have to pay all the overheads and the revenue would be absolutely minimal.

i'd agree

but out of curiosity, do any other afl clubs have a social club attached to the club facilities (excluding separate establishments like the bentleigh club etc)?

24 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

We’re spoiled for choice when it comes to micro breweries and their craft beers in the inner city suburbs so I for one wouldn’t spend time at an MFC social club that offered the tired old options of CUB or their modern day equivalents. They both belong to a bygone era. 

I wouldn't spend time at a social club that didn't offer CUB products. Who wants those fruity new age [censored] options anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

I wouldn't spend time at a social club that didn't offer CUB products. Who wants those fruity new age [censored] options anyway.

I'm with you Grimesy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimes Times said:

No fruity new age brews for me either GT. Only dark ales. Dutch or Belgian dubbels where I can find them or failing all of the above a cold Guinness. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grimes Times said:

5 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

No fruity new age brews for me either GT. Only dark ales. Dutch or Belgian dubbels where I can find them or failing all of the above a cold Guinness. 

Hard liquor or GTFO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, daisycutter said:

i'd agree

but out of curiosity, do any other afl clubs have a social club attached to the club facilities (excluding separate establishments like the bentleigh club etc)?

Richmond, North, not sure about Geelong or the Saints at Moorabbin.