Jump to content

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

  • Podcast: 2021 Season Review  

New Training Ground Option?


Romey
 Share


Recommended Posts

I know this topic has been done to death but I am surprised this option has not been mentioned as a possible venue for our new training ground.

As the bird flies Yarra Bend is about 3 km from the MCG and is a huge expanse of land that is not highly used by local sporting clubs in winter  as far as I am aware. While not an ideal place for a social club, it could allow an Essendon Tullamarine style facility. Beautiful surroundings too.

Thoughts?

E8553579-CFB5-4BD7-B17F-E5141E01F63F.jpeg

Edited by Romey
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 2/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, Romey said:

I know this topic has been done to death but I am surprised this option has not been mentioned as a possible venue for our new training ground.

As the bird flies Yarra Bend is about 3 km from the MCG and is a huge expanse of land that is not highly used by local sporting clubs in winter  as far as I am aware. While not an ideal place for a social club, it could allow an Essendon Tullamarine style facility. Beautiful surroundings too.

Thoughts?

E8553579-CFB5-4BD7-B17F-E5141E01F63F.jpeg

Romey the MFC have a chief  requirement that the facility must be within a stones throw ( my words ) of the MCG. While this is the first requirement nothing much IMO is going to happen. The only possible piece of land is Goschs paddock and getting that may be harder than winning a flag in 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

'reaches across to Swan street,  'od'. ?

Sounds about right MFM. It would be quite funny if it were not so serious.

The only club in the competition that does not have a home and has had almost half a century to find one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The modern training ground is two full size MCG ovals plus an all weather facility and of course pool and gymnasium. (Bombers etc)

If this could be done on the area the OP has suggested Collingwood would do it before us.

Doubt that the local community would allow it especially if it involved exclusive use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Sounds about right MFM. It would be quite funny if it were not so serious.

The only club in the competition that does not have a home and has had almost half a century to find one.

Yes  'od'...

In 1939, 1940 and 1941 Melbourne won its third, fourth and fifth flags.[11] In 1946 Don Cordner became the second Demon to win the Brownlow. In 1947 Fred Fanning kicked a record 18 goals in the last game of the season. The following season Melbourne played the first ever drawn Grand Final, against Essendon, and went on to win the premiership the following week.

Norm Smith became Melbourne's coach in 1952, and the following season Ron Barassi played his first game. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Football_Club#1933–1964:_Age_of_greatness

 

Since the going of Smithy & Barassi in quick succession,  we have needed just that.   The Home base.

Yet this club has yearned for the way it was,  in a changing world.  And spurned by the Mcc,  as the poorer sport, and as tenants.  An addendum to the Mcc.

 

This club has to grab hold of the opportunity with clenched fists,  and wring that opportunity dry,  until all has been extracted from it.

This is the attitude we have to grow off field at committee level, and then through the club....  and stop making excuses "that the time isn't right", as we are on a downer and cannot afford to do it"

The time is never right,  and is never wrong either.  "it is what it is".  'just an opportune time for something'.   'a chance an adventure a risk to take'.

If eddie has backed away every time the pies were down the gurgler, they would not-be in the old Olympic swimming centre, and no doubt they would be down on a few Prem-Cups as well.

They have had two home bases,  in the time we've stayed home with Ma and Pa  'G'.

 

We are in the risk taking business of sport... where conservatism is a death sentence.  He who hesitates is lost...

.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Yes  'od'...

In 1939, 1940 and 1941 Melbourne won its third, fourth and fifth flags.[11] In 1946 Don Cordner became the second Demon to win the Brownlow. In 1947 Fred Fanning kicked a record 18 goals in the last game of the season. The following season Melbourne played the first ever drawn Grand Final, against Essendon, and went on to win the premiership the following week.

Norm Smith became Melbourne's coach in 1952, and the following season Ron Barassi played his first game. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Football_Club#1933–1964:_Age_of_greatness

 

Since the going of Smithy & Barassi in quick succession,  we have needed just that.   The Home base.

Yet this club has yearned for the way it was,  in a changing world.  And spurned by the Mcc,  as the poorer sport, and as tenants.  An addendum to the Mcc.

 

This club has to grab hold of the opportunity with clenched fists,  and wring that opportunity dry,  until all has been extracted from it.

This is the attitude we have to grow off field at committee level, and then through the club....  and stop making excuses "that the time isn't right", as we are on a downer and cannot afford to do it"

The time is never right,  and is never wrong either.  "it is what it is".  'just an opportune time for something'.   'a chance an adventure a risk to take'.

If eddie has backed away every time the pies were down the gurgler, they would not-be in the old Olympic swimming centre, and no doubt they would be down on a few Prem-Cups as well.

They have had two home bases,  in the time we've stayed home with Ma and Pa  'G'.

 

We are in the risk taking business of sport... where conservatism is a death sentence.  He who hesitates is lost...

.

Blame that slick conman Diamond Joe. 
we had our chance in 2000 and totally blew it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Blame that slick conman Diamond Joe. 
we had our chance in 2000 and totally blew it

yep swyl..

Look, how many chances does a club get over a 50 Yr period.?

Options/choices are endless...  they come along all the time Re this issue, or that issue.  If your on the lookout for them,  you will notice them, the good ideas.  When our directors already have all they want in life,  to be in the Mcc every day they wish;  How in hell are they supposed to realize the need for which we suffer?

Abstinence from that holy grail, will make the directors hungrier, and realise the needs of all of us;  instead of their own immediate desires.

Let that sledge hammer swing,  and hit one or two of them, and knock some sense in there.  Our time is ticking,  and the key decisions need to be made...  not waiting for our 11:59pm window to open

 

I reckon, IF we had our eyes wide open, and a real desire for a training base, once we were thrown off the MCG for training,  we needed to really stump up our thinking.  But because we are the home team at the 'G',  we continue to lean back against that old cliched option.   It...  is holding us back, as a club,  from being able to compete with the clubs that have grown powerful in our down time.  

And as we speak,  those clubs are, or have opened,  their new larger 'state of the art' training ventures,  around Melbourne, and Australia.

We are still twiddling thumbs and knocking heads, as we turn a corner in our 'Hillman Hunter', as it were.

 

IMO, we are struggling for a True identity,  because of this.   And all other clubs use our home ground, as theirs.

This is but one of the big keys, I think, to our future.   A lot will grow from that basis,  from Identity,  pride for who we are,  and then - what we are,  and then finally,  why we are.  The things that make our club/organisation, tick along.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

yep swyl..

Look, how many chances does a club get over a 50 Yr period.?

Options/choices are endless...  they come along all the time Re this issue, or that issue.  If your on the lookout for them,  you will notice them, the good ideas.  When our directors already have all they want in life,  to be in the Mcc every day they wish;  How in hell are they supposed to realize the need for which we suffer?

Abstinence from that holy grail, will make the directors hungrier, and realise the needs of all of us;  instead of their own immediate desires.

Let that sledge hammer swing,  and hit one or two of them, and knock some sense in there.  Our time is ticking,  and the key decisions need to be made...  not waiting for our 11:59pm window to open

 

I reckon, IF we had our eyes wide open, and a real desire for a training base, once we were thrown off the MCG for training,  we needed to really stump up our thinking.  But because we are the home team at the 'G',  we continue to lean back against that old cliched option.   It...  is holding us back, as a club,  from being able to compete with the clubs that have grown powerful in our down time.  

And as we speak,  those clubs are, or have opened,  their new larger 'state of the art' training ventures,  around Melbourne, and Australia.

We are still twiddling thumbs and knocking heads, as we turn a corner in our 'Hillman Hunter', as it were.

 

IMO, we are struggling for a True identity,  because of this.   And all other clubs use our home ground, as theirs.

This is but one of the big keys, I think, to our future.   A lot will grow from that basis,  from Identity,  pride for who we are,  and then - what we are,  and then finally,  why we are.  The things that make our club/organisation, tick along.

We must strengthen our position at the MCG, not let go

The training base will be close by

but we should be where the Filth are now

That was a huge [censored] up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/12/2020 at 1:44 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

We must strengthen our position at the MCG, not let go

The training base will be close by

but we should be where the Filth are now

That was a huge [censored] up

Where we are now, we can fit two Mcg sized ovals,  with a little positional adjustment.   And some buildings.  If permits allow.

That means Gosch's is prime...  compared to the pies setup, where they only have one oval.

What they do have is a real home for footy, and for supporters, in the shadows of the 'G'.  That is a real alignment for the supporter base, a feeling of permanence where all are welcome on an equal footing.

 

With creativity and the right design, we have the best setup under our current feet.  Right next to the Railway station... which is Key.   Big Key.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Where we are now, we can fit two Mcg sized ovals,  with a little positional adjustment.   And some buildings.  If permits allow.

That means Gosch's is prime...  compared to the pies setup, where they only have one oval.

What they do have is a real home for footy, and for supporters, in the shadows of the 'G'.  That is a real alignment for the supporter base, a feeling of permanence where all are welcome on an equal footing.

 

With creativity and the right design, we have the best setup under our current feet.  Right next to the Railway station... which is Key.   Big Key.

I agree. Develop what we have

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, Leoncelli_36 said:

the surface out there is absolutely diabolical. Added to that, there are cricket clubs and schools that have vested interest in the grounds there. Unlikely.

I still think we pursue the Jolimont option. Throw in some 3 game memberships to the East Melbourne residents who want to walk their dog in the park as a sweetener - easy, problem solved! Get it done Dees!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, chookrat said:

I still think we pursue the Jolimont option. Throw in some 3 game memberships to the East Melbourne residents who want to walk their dog in the park as a sweetener - easy, problem solved! Get it done Dees!

Easy to say, impossible to achieve. It will not happen there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MyFavouriteMartian said:

Where we are now, we can fit two Mcg sized ovals,  with a little positional adjustment.   And some buildings.  If permits allow.

That means Gosch's is prime...  compared to the pies setup, where they only have one oval.

What they do have is a real home for footy, and for supporters, in the shadows of the 'G'.  That is a real alignment for the supporter base, a feeling of permanence where all are welcome on an equal footing.

 

With creativity and the right design, we have the best setup under our current feet.  Right next to the Railway station... which is Key.   Big Key.

That is simply not true.

Gosch's paddock is much smaller than the MCG, and the other open areas are occupied by Melbourne Storm, Victory and Rebels as their training grounds.  So unless you can move them out of AAMI......

Secondly Goschs is a public area.  We cannot not control the grass, surface maintenance.  It was un-usable for 6 weeks last year, and training had to be moved to Casey. 

Lights for training during winter?   Won't happen in public parks.  It is one of the reasons Hawthorn is moving from Waverley. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always thought Yarra Bend/north along the Yarra had a few options if you tied it in with the community clubs who lack great facilities but had the space/ovals. 

Its all about getting the local clubs/councils onside which might costs the dee's significant $$ as we'd be putting up most if not all of the money to develop the site/facilities if you could get it over the line.

In essence we'd need to provide rooms/access for the local clubs otherwise you have buckley's and none of getting the local council onside.

That said a big issue might be getting members/players to venture more than a couple of km's north of 'G

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

That is simply not true.

Gosch's paddock is much smaller than the MCG, and the other open areas are occupied by Melbourne Storm, Victory and Rebels as their training grounds.  So unless you can move them out of AAMI......

Secondly Goschs is a public area.  We cannot not control the grass, surface maintenance.  It was un-usable for 6 weeks last year, and training had to be moved to Casey. 

Lights for training during winter?   Won't happen in public parks.  It is one of the reasons Hawthorn is moving from Waverley. 

There are lights recently  installed in Fawkner  Park secondary ovals so it does happen in public parks.

The Demons have to brave and aggressive in putting forward a serious business case for a long lost home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to New Training Ground Option?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2021 by Whispering Jack

    MUCH ADO ABOUT NOT MUCH The 2021 Free Agency and Trade Periods were billed by Fox Footy as promising a “period like no other and that certainly proved correct but not for the reasons that Network spin suggested when promoting its daily program of news from the trade desk. The truth is that the football public has endured an uneventful and forgettable fortnight unless you perhaps, happen to be a Carlton or a Hawthorn fan. The Blues managed to pick up the biggest name of the trade peri

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE APPRENTICE by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne Next Generation Academy prospect Mac Andrew has had a meteoric rise in the eyes of many track watchers who follow the fortunes of football talent at the elite level. So much so that under the AFL's new rules which prohibit clubs from matching bids on their NGA players within the first 20 selections, there’s a widely held perception that Andrew is falling out of the club’s grasp.   Despite being buoyed by the Demons’ drought-breaking premiership, some fans are showing their a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 3

    OUR GRAND OLD FLAG by George On The Outer

    When an AFL Grand Final approaches, supporters look for omens to help them foresee how their team will fare in the contest.   Melbourne supporters were, until just before Saturday’s opening bounce, the best in the business at looking for positives to give them hope and direction - a natural feeling after 57 years in the wilderness. So when the Bulldogs’ streamers kept slipping from the handle of the Premiership Cup as Glen Jackovich delivered it to Optus Stadium, they wondered whether it

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...