• Podcast:      

• Podcast:      

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

9 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Reread page 1 of this thread, ample servings of humble pie coming up. 

DD I'm interested to know if you were all over it as a good idea at the time? While it does make for interesting reading there was enough history to suggest it wasn't going to work (it hasn't yet), even if it does look really nice at this stage.

It's a credit to the leaders of the club and to Harley (and his family) that it has made it this far, fingers crossed it reaches its natural outcome.. HB playing over 100 games for us, winning 3 flags and 3 Norm Smiths. His kids all eligible to play for the Dees.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

Reread page 1 of this thread, ample servings of humble pie coming up. 

Opinions are allowed to change, mine certainly did. We’ve been doing the same thing for years with little success, I thought more about Harley and decided we needed to start taking risks. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Opinions are allowed to change

I thought that had been outlawed. 

These days you have to stick to your opinion, not consider other opinions and only talk to people with the same opinions (unless you want to fight).

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

Back on track people. It is about HB not crowds. Just trust HB has pulled up well today and ready for the next session.

I was just thinking the same thing. Harley gee now I might have to put his number on the front of my jumper as Clarry Choo Choo is on the back.I know I know Old Geezers wearing numbers on Footy jumpers! Ah well just gotta have some PASSION! I spose!

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Cards13 said:

DD I'm interested to know if you were all over it as a good idea at the time? 

I have enough of an ego that I would have claimed it if I had called it. I wad initially neutral about it, mainly (and I must confess), because I hadn't seen that much of him, but my brother who has much more of a clue about all things footy was positive, and when I saw his highlights I was as excited as watching Oliver's draft video. The other thing was I remembered (and posted) that Lyon had good things to say about him as a bloke and I thought that was worth something, even if Freo didn't work out. (Btw is it just me or does Freo suck at getting value out of recruiting from other clubs, they seem like the ultimate farm club for mine, well until Adelaide...)

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, Ethan Tremblay said:

What’s the difference? Are we yelling the part that’s in capitals?

The difference is in the two ways his name is being pronounced in that Ch 7 report. The caps are indicating the emphasis on which syllable. 

I’m going with benn-EL cos it’s sounds cooler. 

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

The difference is in the two ways his name is being pronounced in that Ch 7 report. The caps are indicating the emphasis on which syllable. 

It’s pronounced Ben-EL and not Ben’L as some do say it, so I think you’re spot on. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

2 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

bennelli sounds even cooler :)

I have also re read  the first page etc.

The comments in hind sight were a bit harsh perhaps. BUT.  totally understandable if his earlier history at Gold Coast and that story of the culture there at that time is the only thing taken into account. And to be fair to the posters, he was not really a player that was scrutinised closely. So few games in too many years. His talent though was a given.

But reading his comments from the latter part of 2019 and given that a stable relationship and parenthood have occurred. This does tend to put a persons thoughts and actions to a different level to that of a single play boy type. His training etc and dedication to getting his legs and body correct would, it seems, be a credit to him, his support base and the medical and conditioning people at MFC.  Our recruiters or whoever organised this apparent coup deserve a "pat on the back". The 2019 picks may be the best ever.

We may not get him into a game and so far has cost us little in financial sums. On the other hand I think we have gained so much by simply welcoming him and his family that the whole exercise has gained the MFC huge amounts of credibility with the Indigenous playing group. 

My head is spinning, thinking and hoping that we may see a winning game involving Harley and Kossy running around the forward line and Vanders clearing their way. the mind boggles !

Go Dees

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

We may not get him into a game and so far has cost us little in financial sums. On the other hand I think we have gained so much by simply welcoming him and his family that the whole exercise has gained the MFC huge amounts of credibility with the Indigenous playing group. 

If we are successful in getting him over his injuries like Hawks did with Burgoyne it might open the door to very talented injured players choosing to come to us because of the quality of our medical department.

• Like 2

It would be quite something if we get him out on the park and we have both him and Kozzie in the forward line, after last year being so sapped of excitement up front. They could really be a lethal combo. 

Still I ain’t counting any chickens yet, this week was his first contact run in years so let’s see how he pulls up. 

1 minute ago, Pates said:

It would be quite something if we get him out on the park and we have both him and Kozzie in the forward line, after last year being so sapped of excitement up front. They could really be a lethal combo. 

Still I ain’t counting any chickens yet, this week was his first contact run in years so let’s see how he pulls up. 

Plus Melksham who missed most of last year. Fritsch who hasn't been able to play there consistently. AVB if he ever gets back on the park. Hannan after missing over a year.  Mind you none of them are KPF's. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Plus Melksham who missed most of last year. Fritsch who hasn't been able to play there consistently. AVB if he ever gets back on the park. Hannan after missing over a year.  Mind you none of them are KPF's. 

And Jonesy, I was hounded down before the season about him playing forward (concerns was his leg speed).  We could be looking at a whole new forward structure which would be nice after last years nightmare. 

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.